Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review

page975page975 Member Posts: 312

I played around with Age of Wushu for several days. I'm not a fan of F2P but I've been doing Kung Fu for 20 years now.  I really wanted to make a go of this game, but the translation eventually got the best of me.

I think I've spent more time on Youtube's and Googling guides than actually playing it.  Now I'm not saying this is a bad thing as the game is very deep.  It has like a four hour tutorial area that is somewhat helpful, but still one must use external sources to really understand the menus.  Some players say this is boring but I was ok with it since your really playing as your walking this path.

Good :

- Graphics and music are done well, at times your screen could be overwhelmed with clutter,messages, gold farmers in chat and NPC names all over the place.  But as you move your character away it becomes tolerable.  And the world really is beautiful.

- No levels but skills. The game uses a system to increase your skills using Cultivation, you let your skills cultivate over time in the backround as you play.  This alone will have you reading and watching videos on the net to understand.  As I say, this to me is a good thing as I like deep.

-Kung Fu skills. You pick your school in the tutorial area from one of 8 schools and the abilities are true to martial arts.  I just love the blocking skills, you can really time your blocks with the on coming attacks.

- VIP. If I stuck around I would have Paid the VIP price of I think $9.95 a month not sure but the price was reasonable.  And this would allow you to Cultivate your skills at a faster pace.

Bad :

- Translation. Well this was the real deal breaker for me.  My understanding is that Snail USA took this Eastern game and translated it to English.  For the most part they did a good job from what they had to work with, BUT IT STILL FALLS TOO SHORT !........IT'S JUST VERY FAR FROM WHAT MOST OF US ARE USED TOO.

- Movement and combat.  If one decides to really stick around and insist on making a go of Age of Wushu, I'm sure you can lean out this problem.  But they give you a few options using the w,s,a,d keys and none of them hit the mark. Playing around with the key bindings and maybe a little research on the net may solve  this along with practice.  It's not a full deal breaker.

-Age of Wushu has a unique method of getting around.  You can easily click on the highlighted npc in the quest and you will auto run to that point.  At first I liked it, but gets old fast.  Without it you would NEVER FIND YOUR DESTINATION with so much clutter (way to many npcs on your screen ).  This also makes you lazy and you may find that you will never get to know a city or village.

The bottom line :

I've really tried to like this game.  I read that most never give it a chance and the game starts outside the long tutorial area.  I went in with the mindset to endure anything and make it to this point.

I really tried !....It's just too much, THE TRANSLATION GOT THE BEST OF ME.  When I got to a part where you MUST make a group and the people finder tab was too confusing, with everyone having eastern names I decided it's time to give up.  It just broke me down at this point.  Several hours later I came back to figure out how to just get out of the tutorial area and just play. Clicking around the massive amount of menus trying to simply leave and adding that my character using the w,s,a,d keys was still moving in a strange way.  I decide to end this as I had no more energy to do more research.

It's not about the long tutorial area I fully understand that it's a diffrient game past this........ ITS ABOUT TRANSLATION !

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I don't think translation was you problem, there should be no issue understanding how to move from point A to B of the tutorial.  For instance, can you point out the mistranslation that confused you? Probably not. 

I would bet it's more of information overload. Wushu is an extremely social you must ask questions. There is simply too much to digest all at once. Try asking you school questions if you give it another go.

You can change you movement to traditional mouse movement if you like. It's under options.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • page975page975 Member Posts: 312

Sure the game could be figured out given some time. After all I definitely like a good deep complicated mmo with lots of features, but with an entire cluster of translations and strange developer actions makes it not fun.

Giving it three more days or so, everything would have come together. But my point is most players would not like it anyway....It's just very far from a Western style game...Very far.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by page975

But my point is most players would not like it anyway....It's just very far from a Western style game...Very far.

agree 100%.

It is not localized properly (i am not talking about translations, i am talking about what western players expect as far as UI and basic gameplay) which is why so many western players drop it in the first day and never look back.

Snailgames is what is keeping western players from Wushu, they made it far too convoluted to play for your average player.

I wouldn't say Snailgames is keeping western players away from Wushu.  More like they aren't really doing a good job of trying to keep them.  Sure, there are die hards that are completely in love with this game though and there is nothing wrong with that.  Every game has those though.  Heck even WAR, Swtor, and Defiance has those type of players as well. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Sure the game could be figured out given some time. After all I definitely like a good deep complicated mmo with lots of features, but with an entire cluster of translations and strange developer actions makes it not fun.

Giving it three more days or so, everything would have come together. But my point is most players would not like it anyway....It's just very far from a Western style game...Very far.

Yeah like I said, you can not name a spot or a translation you had a problem with. Translation is not the issue. It's information overload.

Wushu is nothing like the western games we've been given the last 10 yrs. Games with only questing, dungeons, battlegrounds, and crafting. That's the west has given for 10 yrs. It reminds me of taco bell. How many ways can you combine meat and cheese?

Wushu takes mmorpgs to a point were none of that stuff that has been western staples is even important in.

You are right, if "most" are looking forward to this years upcoming retreads, then "most" would not like Wushu. If most want something new with more to do than last years retreads combined, most will Like Wushu.

edit - I just ran into what I think you mean. Someone pm'd me asking for help with a quest for their schools internal. They said "hhelp! translation problem" The thing is it wasn't that, it was a lack of direction. It probably said something like "gain confidence of the order" Nothing else lol. This might be a 3 or 4 part quest that takes all over the game world too lmao. 

Originally posted by DMKano

But my point is most players would not like it anyway....It's just very far from a Western style game...Very far.

agree 100%.

It is not localized properly (i am not talking about translations, i am talking about what western players expect as far as UI and basic gameplay) which is why so many western players drop it in the first day and never look back.

Snailgames is what is keeping western players from Wushu, they made it far too convoluted to play for your average player.

Ok great. I see you around here a lot. Everything you say is so general that it can be said about any game. 

Here is your chance to be specific. What are the "basic" UI and gameplay features that are missing?I love good honest criticism, that's how games get better. Thanks for your time.

About the UI :

The the Ui was somewhat over complicated and spread around the screen more so than needed.

-Little clickable boxes around your health meter on the left, more clickable boxes around you mini map, then more on the left and right of your abilities, just needlessly all over the place.

-I THINK your top ability bar was for kungfu moves, but the one below it was for internal cultivation skills or something ?....To be honest I never really figured that out ( I'm not really looking for answers now, but I found this to be a little goofy ).

- Also there were very small dots above you bottom abilities that you could assign your TOP bar to scroll to page 1-8. I'm sure all this has a good purpose, but to a new player this would be a descurraging feature.

-In watching a Youtube, I noticed someone had a 3rd ability bar, for the life of me I could not find a setting for this anyplace in the UI settings or anyplace else.

-Shortly in I was trying to ask a question in chat and got a message about spending gold to chat ?...Unsure what that was all bout.

-And what's with the different forms of money, there are like three or so types of currency. Silver, silver teal and gold ?...............Not to mention Liang, wen, and ding !

As stated, all this could be figured out, but its discouraging none the less. You could spend a week learning basic functions about the UI from Youtubes and googling. It's a video game, not a project !!

PS....20 min after I typed this I figured out whats up with the top and bottom action bar....You can set each bottom cultivation to a set of skills and call them up when needed......NOW this is two days after I played, and had to figure this out on my own!...too late because of no explation.

Thanks man. Yeah there are a lot of buttons. They all do something though. Some people like the choice it gives some people feel it's too much and not need.

Very fair critique on the UI.

ps. nearly 7 months in, and I'm still figuring things out image

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

I only use 2-5 buttons anymore.  I've rebound nearly the entire game.

The best way of getting around the complicated UI is to rebind the keys in a way that mimic other games you are used to, which is completely possible.

The only problem remains that I use 7 different martial styles (if I have my way it will be expanded to 9 in the next couple of months), and that still requires a click to re-adjust the F1-5 menu.  When my hands are already flying around the keyboard, trying to mouse hit a tiny button can be a serious pain (sometimes a battle losing pain).

Originally posted by Alamareth

The best way of getting around the complicated UI is to rebind the keys in a way that mimic other games you are used to, which is completely possible.

The only problem remains that I use 7 different martial styles (if I have my way it will be expanded to 9 in the next couple of months), and that still requires a click to re-adjust the F1-5 menu.  When my hands are already flying around the keyboard, trying to mouse hit a tiny button can be a serious pain (sometimes a battle losing pain).

The did this just to laugh at us. "Ho ho ho funny westerner. You never win 150k. Ho Ho Ho. image"

Originally posted by bcbully

The did this just to laugh at us. "Ho ho ho funny westerner. You never win 150k. Ho Ho Ho. image"

Speaking of which...

You also have to assign a weapon to the slot and 4/7 of my styles are UNARMED.  So yeah, I'm that one beggar with the wooden double stings always equipped.

Plenty of things to complain about that make you raise an eyebrow, but you can generally work your way around them (seriously sucks when the wooden double sting breaks mid battle though).

Speaking of which...

You also have to assign a weapon to the slot and 4/7 of my styles are UNARMED.  So yeah, I'm that one beggar with the wooden double stings always equipped.

Plenty of things to complain about that make you raise an eyebrow, but you can generally work your way around them (seriously sucks when the wooden double sting breaks mid battle though).

lol you use equip the double stings to use far and removed?

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

I think the translation fails when it says go talk to Wong Fu and you use the auto pathing and it takes you to Wong Fei...which is actually who you are to talk to...

Crafting quests are similar, tells you to make wooden handle, but it requires to make a banyan hilt.

Speaking of gold spam and bots, here is some fun info. You can make up an email address and use it to register. There is no verification process. This means an endless amount of unbannable bots.

Botting is so prevalent in the game people don't even bother hiding it. Regular joes like Player A will make bots Player A1, Player A2, Player A3. Place them at regular harvest nodes (which are on timers and spawn in the same area) and afk. Yup, there goes the economy. Hell you can even bot the quests like spy missions.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

Speaking of which...

That would seem logical wouldn't it?  But no, I use them for Nine Hell Winds buff.  Because you need a weapon assigned to each slot for unarmed styles, I pick one that I don't actually use (hence wood double stings).  I don't want to damage my staff or sword when lotus palming!

Speaking of which...

That would seem logical wouldn't it?  But no, I use them for Nine Hell Winds buff.  Because you need a weapon assigned to each slot for unarmed styles, I pick one that I don't actually use (hence wood double stings).  I don't want to damage my staff or sword when lotus palming!

very nice ;) Creative.

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292

Lies!!!! no need weapon in F keys slot

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

It took me about a month of heavy play to really understand how wushu works.

Its not only that the translation is spotty, its the explanation of the systems in the game are lacking or non-existent.  Trying to figure out the yin and yang and internal and external damage was extremely confusing.  Where did the tutorial explain that.  Or how meridians work... not a trace.  Then you notice every written script (from whence you learn new abilities) is actually named something different (but similar) to what the ability is actually called once its transcribed into your skill book.

Things like that made wushu much more complicated than it needed to be, and its a shame, because the system is truly innovative and fun once you understand it.  Unfortunately, probably 75% of the people who would like to understand it, just didn't have the time or desire to sink 100s of hours in researching how everything works and what everything means when it should be explained in the game itself.

Just one of the drawbacks.  Hang in there though, its worth it.  Find a helpful guild and just one knowledgeable player could give you a rundown in a matter of minutes and save you hours of time on Google.

Originally posted by AresPL

Where else can you put them then...?

Perhaps you could tell me how to be truly unarmed while in unarmed styles selected through F1-F5 then?  It would solve a lot of silly issues.

I get that hybrid styles that have unarmed subsets (like Drift Sands) require a weapon equipped to select the style since most of the styles require that weapon.  However, I can't figure out any way of hopping into Corrosion Palm, Lotus Palm, or Eagle Claw without attaching some sort of weapon to that hotkey.

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292

its very very easy image

instead weapon put internal

its very very easy image

instead weapon put internal

...you can do that?  Guess I'll have to try....

Been playing for 5 months and no one ever said that.

Years ago I played an mmo called 9Dragons it too had real KungFu.  However this game was made durring the very early stages of F2P and was very play to win.  The grind was very heavy and boring unless you paid a ton of money.

As far as I see it, both Age of Wushu and 9Dragons are the only Kungfu mmo's on the market.  Both have close to un-playable qualities, and thats too bad.  It seems that Western developers will not tuch this subject :(

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Years ago I played an mmo called 9Dragons it too had real KungFu.  However this game was made durring the very early stages of F2P and was very play to win.  The grind was very heavy and boring unless you paid a ton of money.

As far as I see it, both Age of Wushu and 9Dragons are the only Kungfu mmo's on the market.  Both have close to un-playable qualities, and thats too bad.  It seems that Western developers will not tuch this subject :(

If you played 9Dragons you basically played Wushu.

They are almost the same exact game. Same skills, same schools, same weapon times. Wushu does have some additional mechanics, though.

• thetimesthetimes Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by aesperus

If you played 9Dragons you basically played Wushu.

They are almost the same exact game. Same skills, same schools, same weapon times. Wushu does have some additional mechanics, though.

9dragon all you do is kill mobs. Over and over, and over. You don't get xp for mobs and questing in Wushu. They are both in old china. That's about all that's the same.