Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DarkFall: Unholy Wars YES/NO?

Hey everyone.

So I've been watching some first look vids and gameplay vids of DFUW and it looks pretty good. I never played the first DarkFall  but from what I can tell it, and it's successor DFUW seem to get ALOT of mixed criticism. I'm very interested in playing but before I drop $40 just to try it I want to know what I'm getting into, if it's worth it or not. I'm a huge fan of the MMORPG genre but have been disappointed the last couple years. Basically I'm looking for a game like RuneScape, but not RuneScape. I can run around and do what I want, when I want, and don't have any set tasks to do. This game seems like it offers that, and much more. But IS IT WORTH IT?

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by SmellyNanner

Hey everyone.

So I've been watching some first look vids and gameplay vids of DFUW and it looks pretty good. I never played the first DarkFall  but from what I can tell it, and it's successor DFUW seem to get ALOT of mixed criticism. I'm very interested in playing but before I drop $40 just to try it I want to know what I'm getting into, if it's worth it or not. I'm a huge fan of the MMORPG genre but have been disappointed the last couple years. Basically I'm looking for a game like RuneScape, but not RuneScape. I can run around and do what I want, when I want, and don't have any set tasks to do. This game seems like it offers that, and much more. But IS IT WORTH IT?

Tricky one to answer as i thought Runescape was fairly dire, but DF;UW while it has some really nice graphics, particularly the scenery, its not a game that is without, problems, if you can afford to not miss $40 on a gamble that you might like Darkfall then fair enough, but if its money you can't really afford to waste on a game that your not going to like very much, then you might be better off trying something else, im a great believer in try before you buy, particularly with MMO's, especially MMO's with Darkfalls reputation for failing to measure up. i just know that if it was me, that the game is not worth it, but, tastes vary, your best bet is to check out youtube and look for some player vids, at least then you might be able to make some kind of an informed decision, rather than one based on random opinions on a forumimage

• SmellyNannerSmellyNanner Member Posts: 152
    Well thank-you for your honest opinion. And the games reputation is the exact reason I made this post, but as you suggested, I'll definitely hop on youtube and start watching some player vids, hopefully get a better idea of what it's about.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

only 1 question you have to ask yourself?

do you like roaming around in groups ganking other players so you can steal their stuff?

if so, then DF is for you. DF is a very hit or miss game, some people love it others hate it. The biggest draw this game has is the free for all, full loot pvp in a seamless world. Besicaly, outside safe zones there is no law but the might of your hammer/wits of your mind. PvE is very basic and pretty much all about grinding mobs. the bread and butter of this game is full loot pvp. If you have never played full loot pvp then it's really hard to tell if you will like DF.

there is simply no way to tell if you are the kind of guy that enjoys the thrill of getting ganked around every corner, or if that is just going to piss you off. Some people love the thrill, others just find it incredibly irritating especially when you are often either outgunned or outmanned (zergs are away of life in full loot mmos). Most people that play these games just love ganking other players.

One other thing to keep in mind is that if you are having problems shelling out 40$ , will you have problems maintaining the 15$ a month sub fee?

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

only 1 question you have to ask yourself?

do you like roaming around in groups ganking other players so you can steal their stuff?

if so, then DF is for you. DF is a very hit or miss game, some people love it others hate it. The biggest draw this game has is the free for all, full loot pvp in a seamless world. Besicaly, outside safe zones there is no law but the might of your hammer/wits of your mind. PvE is very basic and pretty much all about grinding mobs. the bread and butter of this game is full loot pvp. If you have never played full loot pvp then it's really hard to tell if you will like DF.

there is simply no way to tell if you are the kind of guy that enjoys the thrill of getting ganked around every corner, or if that is just going to piss you off. Some people love the thrill, others just find it incredibly irritating especially when you are often either outgunned or outmanned (zergs are away of life in full loot mmos). Most people that play these games just love ganking other players.

One other thing to keep in mind is that if you are having problems shelling out 40$ , will you have problems maintaining the 15$ a month sub fee?

I LOVE running around ganking people, it was one of the reasons I started playing WoW back in Vanilla days, hearing about the open world PvP. Closest thing to full loot PvP i've played is RuneScape's wilderness back in the day, when you were skulled you lost everything. The money aspect really isn't that big of an issue, it's just the basic Play before you Pay deal. It's definitely a gamble, but the sandbox aspect of it and the PvP aspect just draw me to it.. I'll definitely continue watching some more player vids of the game before I jump into it.

keep in mind that because of the zerg nature of full loot mmos, it is almost mandatory to play these games in a guild. solo pvp pretty much gets you killed every time. these games pretty much force you to be in guilds as the majority of people roam around in groups and size of the group is usually very decisive when pvp breaks out.
    I am personally a group-inclined gamer. I can't stand solo-gaming on any MMORPG, or any game really for that matter. Besides Skyrim, but we all know Skyrim isn't really a game. ;)
  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    There is alot of issues with performance in bigger battles like sieges etc. I would hold of getting into it, until that is fixed. As it is now, and have been for over a month now, people get ping spikes and crashes like theres no tomorrow in sieges. Small scale PVP seems to work better though. And there ain't that much more to do in DFUW then PVP, and if that isn't working good, your left with pretty much nothing atm. 
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

...No!!!!!!!!!!  I paid for it and /deleted after playing for a few and seeing all the DF1 pitfalls and bugs, which they didn't care to address or fix.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

Originally posted by Lahuzer
    There is alot of issues with performance in bigger battles like sieges etc. I would hold of getting into it, until that is fixed. As it is now, and have been for over a month now, people get ping spikes and crashes like theres no tomorrow in sieges. Small scale PVP seems to work better though. And there ain't that much more to do in DFUW then PVP, and if that isn't working good, your left with pretty much nothing atm. 

Well thank you, and everyone else, for their replies and helpful comments. Based off of what i've learned i'm going to have to hold off on DFUW for now and give Eve and possible Vanguard a try.

well if you like getting in groups and ganking people then DF is one of the best games out there for that. there is no game that provides the same type of ganker freedom like DF does (except for MO I guess, which is a buggy piece of crap). You have obviously seen videos so you know what the game looks like. the only thing left to see is if you enjoy that type of combat style. the 3rd person shooter.

cant think of any games that play quite like it but as long as you enjoy FPS it's quite similar.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Yes its worth it.  Do not wait if you are interested.  The bugs with siege performance will be fixed eventually, and you will be that much further ahead on the prowess ladder the sooner you jump in.  No other game will get your blood pumping like DFUW.

Originally posted by Zooce

Yes its worth it.  Do not wait if you are interested.  The bugs with siege performance will be fixed eventually, and you will be that much further ahead on the prowess ladder the sooner you jump in.  No other game will get your blood pumping like DFUW.

You seem like you're talking from experience here. So you're saying ignore the cons, and get a good head-start on everyone else? The game has me very interested, so should I just go ahead and jump into it?

• AgoniasAgonias Member Posts: 11
    Darkfall Unholy Wars is one of the best choices out there. Give it a try, you won´t regret.
    Originally posted by Agonias
    Darkfall Unholy Wars is one of the best choices out there. Give it a try, you won´t regret.

There are so many mixed feelings about this game, I guess the only way to know is to try it for myself.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

Siege performance aside ( I just avoid them ) I'm having fun playing Darkfall. I try to get into other MMO's and they just don't cut it, they're too standard and stale. The only thing Darkfall is missing is content, and to be quite honest, you probably won't notice it much until  you've finished building your character and are looking for things to do besides PVP. 

Nobody knows what you'll think of DF besides you. It's the only MMO I play atm and me and my friends are having  a good time. The only real question is whether you mind gambling the purchase cost or not, because you just won't know until you try it.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Nothing against Darkfall but I can tell you this, darkfall is not like runescape.    
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

Might as well mention: 

Many people dislike the control scheme for Darkfall. If you do, that's awesome, but if you don't then just check out ahkgaming , I have a script that makes the controls much more customizable and intuitive.

I think the price is way to high as well atm for a half finished product. And my guess is that the game within 1-2 months will be alot cheaper. And don't worry bout the prowess. Once you start to play, and join a clan, they will fly through the feats with you. And with the new round robin system you'll get those prowess points in no time. I would hold of performance, and the insane pricetag for a product that is missing shitloads of the promised features. For instance only half the roles are in. And so far there been no mentioning of a respec once they get in. So if there is a role you would rather play then the once in now. There is yet another reason to hold off.

Edit. And as Jakdstripper mentioned, the only other alternativ right now is Mortal Online. It also suffers from bugs and performance issues, even if the latter got better with their last patch. But MO is free to test at least. While you could be in for a rude awakening if you pay 40 bucks for DFUW now.

Originally posted by Kilrain

Might as well mention: 

Many people dislike the control scheme for Darkfall. If you do, that's awesome, but if you don't then just check out ahkgaming , I have a script that makes the controls much more customizable and intuitive.

Well thank you for your advice, I took the game and i'm currently downloading the game.  Like you, other MMO's just aren't cutting it, hopefully this game satisfies my cravings, lol. I'm pretty pumped, the game sounds awesome.

Originally posted by Kilrain

Might as well mention: 

Well thank you for your advice, I took the game and i'm currently downloading the game.  Like you, other MMO's just aren't cutting it, hopefully this game satisfies my cravings, lol. I'm pretty pumped, the game sounds awesome.

Hehe, well good luck then. And may the ping spikes and crashes have mercy on your avatar. ;) Do join a clan ASAP.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by Zooce

You seem like you're talking from experience here. So you're saying ignore the cons, and get a good head-start on everyone else? The game has me very interested, so should I just go ahead and jump into it?

Well, there is a learning curve- especially if you want to become competitive in PvP.  It's not as easy as those pvp videos make it out to be when you have friendlies to avoid hitting and heart is jumping out of your chest.

I started 2 weeks after launch and I'm up to 62k prowess.  Just joined a clan yesterday and it's like I'm playing a whole new game now.  Whole sections of the map I considered off limits are now surrounded by allied player cities and hamlets.  There's always groups looking for someone to help kill mobs, or getting raided needing back-up.

The cons are not to be ignored.  Game is missing tons of content and dev's do not have a good record of keeping on schedule.  But there is plenty of adventure to be had with what is currently implemented.  No other game comes close to DFUW on the current market if the feature list grabs your attention.  The themepark tab-target consensual pvp crowd might tell you otherwise, however.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Hey everyone.

DF is what it says it is.  Lot of pvp, large scale and small scale.  Is a pure sandbox, so don't look for npc's to guide you.  Very clan driven.  Full owpvp, little safety.  If you like all of these things, its a great game.  If you don't, you wont like it.  It really is what it advertises.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Hey everyone.

Darkfall UW is a vast improvement over the original in most areas. Specifically, the skill system. In the old game, to compete you had to master every single spell school and use an array of like 30 different spells, as well as weapon masteries, just to have a chance to fight in PvP.

In UW, you can still master everything, but you can only play one role (class) at a time. So, if you're a casual player, you can focus on just mastering one role and it won't take forever, and you'll get into PvP much faster. The PvP itself is a lot more tactical and team oriented than the original.

The areas where UW is lacking is in lore and quests. Quests have been replaced with a feat/achievement system. But the game is VERY open ended and you can choose however way you want to level up, whether its crafting, exploring, or PvE. (no PvP feats yet).

PvP is really the heart of the game, so if you have no intention of doing it, then this may not be the game for you. But anything from solo hunting, small group skirmishes, raids on villages, massive sieges, naval battles, mounted combat, no game really does it better.

It is the only MMORPG in the last 7 years that has kept me playing for a long time, because it is so unique, and doesn't try to hold your hand.

• dauntSilverdauntSilver Member Posts: 146

Hell No We Wont Go!

I played a couple weeks after it came out. You are required to craft to succeed. If you don't craft, you grind (and then end up crafting anyway). Everyone crafts. no need to trade items. gold is used solely for crafting. Then when you finally crafted the armor and weapons you want for pvp, your clan whines at you saying you aren't crafting what they need.. so you go back to chopping trees and picking berries again. then a month passes and you realized you played a game to gather twigs and berries all day and accomplished nothing, so you say "f it, im gonna go PvP." then you run out of the safe zone and get killed and lose everything. then you go back to picking berries. the end.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by dauntSilver

Hell No We Wont Go!

I played a couple weeks after it came out. You are required to craft to succeed. Er, not accurate. If you don't craft, you grind (and then end up crafting anyway). Yes, you do a lot of PvE fighting, but this almost always turns into PvP fighting. Everyone crafts. no need to trade items. Wrong again, the chat channels are constantly spammed with merchants.  gold is used solely for crafting.  Just as it is in almost all MMOs.  Then when you finally crafted the armor and weapons you want for pvp, your clan whines at you saying you aren't crafting what they need..If everyone crafts, why would the clan whine?  so you go back to chopping trees and picking berries again. then a month passes and you realized you played a game to gather twigs and berries all day and accomplished nothing, so you say "f it, im gonna go PvP." then you run out of the safe zone and get killed and lose everything. then you go back to picking berries. the end.

Sounds like someone barely played the game at all. My experience hasn't been anything like that.