Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Global Skill CD?

angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I was watching chocobo clips and saw at 25:33 of

http://www.twitch.tv/cactuarcatacus/b/410245392 that when he used a skill all or almost all of the other skills had a cd run. Can you use 1 skill and none of the others immediately after?

Comments

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234
    FFXIV is not Action RPG, more paced combat system is welcome after i played Tera, RaiderZ, etc..
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

My thought was when I hit max lvl50 what's stopping me from just hitting the same button over and over with a 2 second wait?

1 - max lvl super awesome attack/heal

wait 2 seconds

wait 2 second

wait 2 second

That was my main concern when I saw it. In other games with separate CD's you can mix it up or rotate the skills. I haven't played any FF MMORPG though so I could definitely be missing something about certain scenarios calling for specific skills I suppose.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    GC makes the combat feel sluggish if it's too long and event if your game isn't action game you don't want this feeling. I'm not sure but I heard they are still playing with the numbers and the length of the gc might decrease.
  • DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

Shouldn't it be like ffxi's? All the weapon skills, and magic spells had there own indevidual timers.

EX: provoke 30 seconds

Black mage ancient magic took like a minute

other spells took like 5 seconds to cast, and so on

Wouldn't it be better if every skill had there own timer like ffxi's?

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by angerbeaver

My thought was when I hit max lvl50 what's stopping me from just hitting the same button over and over with a 2 second wait?

wait 2 seconds

wait 2 second

wait 2 second

That was my main concern when I saw it. In other games with separate CD's you can mix it up or rotate the skills. I haven't played any FF MMORPG though so I could definitely be missing something about certain scenarios calling for specific skills I suppose.

The combo system would prolly stop you from doing that.

At least it should.....

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

wait 2 seconds

wait 2 second

wait 2 second

A global cooldown is in addition to the skill's own cooldown so you won't just be spamming the same skill unless it happens to be a weak skill with no cooldown... It's primarily a feature used to control the pace of battles and counter latency to some degree (though the latter is less important these days). Every non-action MMO I've played has had a GCD, even WoW has one. Without one you would have players firing off every skill at once and insta-killing everything.

We've already been told that there are several jobs that can reduce the GCD as well, with Monk being able to use combos (specific combinations of skills) to create special effects, including a Haste effect that reduces the GCD. I expect Bard or Summoner may be capable of giving it as a group buff as well...

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

wait 2 seconds

wait 2 second

wait 2 second

In 1.0 certain attacks chained with each other or allowed for other attacks to hit with increased damage / side effects.  There is likely to be a similar combo system in place, in addition to the Limit Break group attack.  Though we're still not certain on how the Limit Break system will be charged and how it will be employed by the party.

It will also probably depend on what your job is best at (if you're not using a class) in that if you're a bard (for example) you might use certain skills just because they increase the efficiency of your group or debuff the monster you're fighting.  Then proceed to unload with your strongest attacks that work well in unison together and the like.  There is likely quite a few self buff abilities as well, just as there was in the first version.  We can see evidence in this in the new job attack animations with them charging up a bit before an attack.

Considering this is an advanced topic for those new to MMOs (or who have just played MMOs that don't incorporate something like this), it's unlikely there will be very many combos available at the beginning.  Though that's just a given since in most MMOs you don't see all of your abilities until you're a high level.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    holy crap! combat looks boring! long cast times and CD 2-3 sec?? dead game.
  • duuude007duuude007 Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    holy crap! combat looks boring! long cast times and CD 2-3 sec?? dead game.

You're attacking a game based on a paced demo with no actual combat therein? In Beta, no less?

Remind me not to let you taste test my mac & cheese before it is finished.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Global Cooldown is being worked on as it was a vocal resistance from beta testers.
    Also in my book when playing games or mmo's is long cast time equals high damage.
    low cast time less damage.

So far there isnt a single thing i dislike about FF, from casting animations to looks.
    Wish i could play a 15 minture combat demo ^^
    The black mage casting animations are sick, never seen that much detail go into casting spells.
    Bard pulling the string of his bow....breath taking
    Paladin using combo's....something down there starts growing
    Warrior swinging his Axe like a brute mofo
    Dragoon jumping up and literely wiping the floor...

Global cooldown as i said is being worked on.
    This lead developer who was kicking ass in all major mmo's from pvp to pve understands perfectly how shit needs to get done.
    Also this lead designer was a legend in DaoC and my faith that pvp will be exciting is taking new heights.

he also played WoW on high leel raiding and will give his own vision to that in Final Fantasy.

I expect that FF will be rock solid, but as most of us have been fooled before i dont throw money down before i played it.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

From http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/27/the-mog-log-final-fantasy-xiv-beta-phase-1-and-2-combat/

Having a global cooldown set for 2.5s seems a bit slow at first

from http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/ffxiv-closed-beta-details-revealed/

My biggest concern with combat was the Global Cooldown (GCD) going into the FFXIV closed beta. Between Alpha and Beta the GCD was reduced by 0.5 seconds 

Source included since poster below talked about breach of nda.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    You eventually will be able to obtain gear that can drop the gcd (from what the devs said) time. Think haste. But if you watch combat videos you'll notice if you were able to spam xyz skills you'd quickly find yourself running out of tp. On top of this in 1.x skills that weren't the physically strongest had debuffs that would apply or had a chance to apply. This isn't action combat.

Edit: while the above poster is breaking NDA, I'll add that in the videos you'll notice the gcd starts as soon as the animation for the ability starts. So once the animation ends it seems as if you aren't stuck with the entire gcd.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Well i sure hope they fix it then. i have become more carefull with mmos after buying 4 mmo game that failed hard...
  • duuude007duuude007 Member Posts: 112
    Well i sure hope they fix it then. i have become more carefull with mmos after buying 4 mmo game that failed hard...

Far too many try to appeal to large groups without considering the budget and manpower that entails.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

If you have something against a GCD I suggest you look elsewhere for an mmo. FFXIV is going to be a little slower paced than the typical mainstream games we see today. The GCD may be reduced but it will likely not be removed.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

As long as the animations make it more interesting that RIFT combat, I'm happy.

I'm quite done with circle jerk bunny hop combat in MMOs.

I like maximizing rotations and cooldown use with group wide coordination, burn phases, etc. etc. much, much more.

That is where I think WoW went really, really wrong over the past few expansions- too much dancing around, not enough "play your class well."

Used to be - even on a mostly stationary fight, with similar gear, the really "good" player could out play their comparable fellows by leaps and bounds.

I hope FFXIV is the same.

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141
    As to being able to fire off your biggest and most powerful ability over and over at max lvl.... No. Most of your abilities work off TP(Tatical Points), With the stronger ones useing more than 50% of your TP pool. You will have to be smart in managing your TP and abilities so youre not standing there mid fight out of TP and options. This will really be interesting in PvP.