Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

<3 // Open Beta's are a Bad Idea

PluppetsPluppets Member Posts: 45

IMO, this game is fun.  Sure, it's a theme park, but you can pick stats, talents, and those of your dragons, too.  In the end, it's much more customizable in terms of builds than your average theme park.

Furthermore, I think open beta's are a bad idea-- because the MMO community is impatient and entitled, lacking the maturity necessary to understand the implications of that word.  I believe NDA should stay in effect until release.  Soft releases of open beta's have and will continue to doom many games before they're out of the gates.

~~~~~~

My impressions of the game:

1) Builds are awesome.  Never have I played another MMO wherein I can pick my stats AND talents.  It's refreshing, and offers so much more customization.  Balance may be a concern, but if they can pull it of, then hat's off to them.  Being a Dark Souls player, though, I can respect a system that harbors imbalance.

2) You are offered the same options as above for your dragon, making this *maybe* the most extensible build system in an MMO to date.

3) As far as action MMORPG's go, I have played GW2, Tera, and DCUO.  I can say firmly that this system (while lacking the hitbox detection of Tera) is a great step in the right direction.  I like it better than GW2's system so far.  (PARRY FTW!)

4) Graphics and performance are awesome for me, and incorporate a lot of new tech and shader passes, like TAA (temporal anti-aliasing).  I think most of the people complaining about graphics don't know how to click Options and turn things up.  lololol

~~~~~~

--TL;DR--

Never over-estimate the intelligence of anonymous internet users.

When possible, seek out the facts and form your own opinions. ;)

Comments

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

Choosing your stats is pseudo customization. In this game, you have one or two stats related to your class and the rest goes into charisma for dragon taming. Theres certainly a bit of flexibility in how much you put where, but in the end it doesn't really matter unless you don't have enough in charisma for dragon taming.

The quests are dull, the progression is dull. We've seen all of it before. That's the heart of the problem. You can have a game with all the customization in the world but if the gameplay is boring you've got nothing.

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    I have the game completely maxed out.. and it doesn't look that good.  sorry.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    I think I need to play more.. i unlocked a few combos but they all look the same with minor variances.  

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

game looks like its from 2005, best looking mmorpg the f.... are you smoking here? Dragon propeth is nothing more than below average game

it have dragon pets but those are time limited and not core game mechanics which it should be to be different,there are plenty of mmorpgs who offer more pets and etc, ( most of them are horrible pay to win tho)

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by e1213

Furthermore, I think open beta's are a bad idea-- because the MMO community is impatient and entitled, lacking the maturity necessary to understand the implications of that word.  I believe NDA should stay in effect until release.  Soft releases of open beta's have and will continue to doom many games before they're out of the gates.

I think it's you who does not understand what the term "beta" means.  It's a testing phase to prepare a product for commercialization not a chance collect revenue for the game, and let anything people do stick while being able to dismiss any issues your game may have as "it's still beta"/

Companies don't get to eat the cake and have it to.  They can either collect revenue for a game and take responsibility for the state of the game or they can keep it in a true beta (closed or open) and reset everything you do at the end of it.

As for the game itself.  It's not the worse title to release in the last 3 years but it was released several months to early.  It needed more time to finish all the translations and flesh out explaining the games systems better.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I'm so confused about this game.. I was tempted to buy into that $60 set that got some cool looking dragons/armors.  But everyone is giving such mixed signals I figured I'd hold out.  How is there a disagreement about such a simple thing as graphics?  It's either 2003 graphics or it's relatively new. 
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Open betas are fine, for a game that is ready for an open beta.  The problem here is that this game was not ready for an open beta, and should have extended its closed beta period.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Apparently those packs aren't available anymore :-(

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Ikeda

You did yourself a favor by not buying any of them.  Game is a mess and I disagree that the combat is fun, it's the worst excuse for an "action" MMO I've ever seen.  The graphics could be worse for a F2P, but they aren't fantastic either.  The dragon system is poorly implemented and for the most part it just acts as a limited (you can only keep your dragon out for a certain period of time based on your stats before you have to recharge it which happens over time) summon and not a companion you'll become attached to.  Everything else about the game is either bland or awful.  Avoid this one.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Stizzled

The packs haven't been available since the beginning of open beta. However, they are going to be doing an open beta event that's going to give people a chance to win one of the Dragon Lord packs. So you could always hop in game and hope to win one.

https://forums.station.sony.com/dragonsprophet/index.php?threads/open-beta-event-a-deadly-reminder.2397/

Originally posted by AIMonster

You did yourself a favor by not buying any of them.  Game is a mess and I disagree that the combat is fun, it's the worst excuse for an "action" MMO I've ever seen.  The graphics could be worse for a F2P, but they aren't fantastic either.  The dragon system is poorly implemented and for the most part it just acts as a limited (you can only keep your dragon out for a certain period of time based on your stats before you have to recharge it which happens over time) summon and not a companion you'll become attached to.  Everything else about the game is either bland or awful.  Avoid this one.

Dragons are an integral part of your character. You can equip them with armor, train their abilities, they can gather crafting materials for you, they provide you with important skills as well as being a companion on the battlefield.

As you already know you can increase the time they fight at your side by increasing charisma, and their cool down timer is only 1 minute. At the moment my dragon is only not with me 1 minute out of every 11 minutes, and that isn't bad. There's not much that's poor about the implementation of the dragons.

And it's not really any better than any other games with a companion system out there.  Neverwinter for example doesn't tote companions as the primary feature of the game yet has them, they are in battle with you (unless you are training them) 100% of the time rather than being limited with stats, have unique abilities, and can be equipped with armor also.  SW:TOR and GW's companion systems are even more elaborate and you actually feel attached to your companions unlike in Dragon's Prophet.  The game really just feels the same old same old (except with poorer quality in most areas), at least for the first 20 levels.  That's my opinion though, if people enjoy the game more power to them, though I guess I set my expectations a bit too high on this game.

• AlakorAlakor Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

I suppose I need to create a screenshot to show you all the games graphics, give me a minute...

Update:

photo DragonsProphet_20130601_212047_zpsbab564d1.jpg

photo DragonsProphet_20130601_212801_zpsb4b3b2a2.jpg

Are theser eally good graphic for you? cause to me they are rpettyt errible graphics comparing them to TESO, EVE or to even old games like Age of Conan

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Alakor

I suppose I need to create a screenshot to show you all the games graphics, give me a minute...

Update: [images]

Are theser eally good graphic for you? cause to me they are rpettyt errible graphics comparing them to TESO, EVE or to even old games like Age of Conan

I really like the game's graphics, so, yes, they're good graphics for me.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

I think that AoC and TSW have waaaay better graphics than this game.... maybe its just me.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

I don't see how you can say Age of Conan's graphics are good. I think Age of Conan's graphics are getting really bad and is a turn off for me to want to even play the game.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

CG artist here, let me tell you something. Those are NOT good graphics. Ultra low poly meshes, sparse environment design, muddy  tiled textures used everywhere... the only thing they did between now and say 2005 is slap a normal map on it. Environment art over all is pretty bad, and the level design is piss poor (extremely linear with no concept of escalating challenge placement).

Dont forget this is a cheap (f2p) taiwanese game. They make more money by doing less work and reaching a wider audience. This means very little time spent on the art side, while keep it low spec so their user base can run it even on old computers.

Sometimes I think you f2p players get so used to low quality mass produced asian mmos that you dont realize what current gen p2p quality is.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I haven't played, but if you game is good, open beta is great.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • romelloromello Member Posts: 34

I found the game obscenely boring & graphics even worse, most definitely not my game

Only having 2 slots to cap dragons made it even worse...heck take a look at this thread

https://forums.station.sony.com/dragonsprophet/index.php?threads/total-sc-cost-to-unlock-basic-features.2197/

wow bad game with even worse cash shop, even ppl make thread that they cant find players ingame I WONDER WHY ?

hallo ~_~

• PluppetsPluppets Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by e1213

I think it's you who does not understand what the term "beta" means.  It's a testing phase to prepare a product for commercialization not a chance collect revenue for the game, and let anything people do stick while being able to dismiss any issues your game may have as "it's still beta"/

Companies don't get to eat the cake and have it to.  They can either collect revenue for a game and take responsibility for the state of the game or they can keep it in a true beta (closed or open) and reset everything you do at the end of it.

As for the game itself.  It's not the worse title to release in the last 3 years but it was released several months to early.  It needed more time to finish all the translations and flesh out explaining the games systems better.

Anyway, 'soft release' was a jab at the tactic of using open beta to hype and monetize game before release.

On the public side, open beta's tend to be a very defining time for the PR surrounding a game's release.  This should not be the case... but the dev's keep pushing founder's packs and early access, and the freebie players generally join to form opinions rather than bug reports.  Hence, I think open beta has mutated into something that the publishers mismanage, and the players misinterpret.  But whaddyagonnado.

• PluppetsPluppets Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf

I don't see how you can say Age of Conan's graphics are good. I think Age of Conan's graphics are getting really bad and is a turn off for me to want to even play the game.

CG artist here, let me tell you something. Those are NOT good graphics. Ultra low poly meshes, sparse environment design, muddy  tiled textures used everywhere... the only thing they did between now and say 2005 is slap a normal map on it. Environment art over all is pretty bad, and the level design is piss poor (extremely linear with no concept of escalating challenge placement).

Dont forget this is a cheap (f2p) taiwanese game. They make more money by doing less work and reaching a wider audience. This means very little time spent on the art side, while keep it low spec so their user base can run it even on old computers.

Sometimes I think you f2p players get so used to low quality mass produced asian mmos that you dont realize what current gen p2p quality is.

Erm...*tugs at your coat tails*

In 2005, SSAO, shader passes, depth of field, TAA, HDR with MSAA, and non-stencil dynamic shadows didn't exist.  Heck, post-processing shaders weren't even viable.  IMO, this game uses those technologies to its advantage, and blends the environment into a very cohesive and stylized yum.

But hey, while we're at it-- Guild Wars 2 looks like dirty penises to me.  Can we at least agree on that?

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by ee1213

Erm...*tugs at your coat tails*

In 2005, SSAO, shader passes, depth of field, TAA, HDR with MSAA, and non-stencil dynamic shadows didn't exist.  Heck, post-processing shaders weren't even viable.  IMO, this game uses those technologies to its advantage, and blends the environment into a very cohesive and stylized yum.

But hey, while we're at it-- Guild Wars 2 looks like dirty penises to me.  Can we at least agree on that?

Actually, those did exist prior to 2005. We saw HDR for example in Riven (1997) and in 2003, Valve had a demo showing it off in the Source engine. 2004 it was actually in a playable environment (the lost coast).  We also saw it in the Unreal 3 engine and even the Open Source based Ogre 3d engine.  While many of those existed, its also a question as to how and where they were used... we could get into discussing each one...but all that is moot since those didnt make "good graphics".  All they did add some "post" like effects to distract the user away from poorly made low poly meshes and texture work.

Even today, its common to use 512x512 maps over 1024x1024 for most things since it takes the least performance hit.

Good graphics would imply much more than slapping a blur or DoF to a scene, or whether you can remove jagged edges with AA. It involves doing more than generating overlapping UVs with the same tiled texture on it, it involves more vertex painting, good use of spec maps and presentation. Even smoothing normals to soften the edges of low poly meshes is missing from the environment art.

It's simply not good graphics and the art direction is questionable.

As for guild wars 2? You really think that looks bad? Gw2 is generic in some of its assets, but it also features much better art direction with busy environments and far better texture work. The assets are generally far more unique and even make use of higher resolution texture maps. Is it the best out there? No way, but its not even half as bad as what we are seeing in these made to be f2p games.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

^ I have to agree with the CG Artist... qfex2

I tried the game, it was fun for a day or so... just didn't grab me.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"