Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Just under 500k"

124»

Comments

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by baphamet

so what system was incomplete again?

Really it was just the Legacy System which wasn't complete at launch, as I recall.

SWTOR was pretty polished right out of the gates, if horribly generic just beneath the shiny candy coating. The most amazing hook for me was the interactive cut scenes that you'd share with others,

But that single spark fizzled quickly when I started picking up on the repetitive animations, bland camera angles, and voiceover responses that didn't quite match what I thought my answer selection indicated it would convey. Suddenly it felt as if I was watching someone play a toon that looked like the one I created. I wasn't really adding anything to the scene with personality OR affecting the outcome in any meaningful way.

The companion system was nice, but (at least on my soldier), trying to make all of the companions useful for my toon's build and gaming style was nigh impossible.

All in all, Bioware seemed to deliver what it said it would. I'll take the responsibility myself for buying into the hype and believing their marketing lingo into thinking it would be something different then what I feared it might be.

Management was very smart - at least in my situation - for closing down SWG. If SWG was still an option, I would have resubbed after giving SWTOR a very lengthy and whole-hearted test drive. I don't think I'd have been alone in that. With only SWTOR to provide the Star Wars fix, it may have kept some dollars rolling in that would not have otherwise.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Vayman

Really it was just the Legacy System which wasn't complete at launch, as I recall.

And the end game PVP. That was a complete disaster. But everything else was spot on.

Management was very smart - at least in my situation - for closing down SWG. If SWG was still an option, I would have resubbed after giving SWTOR a very lengthy and whole-hearted test drive. I don't think I'd have been alone in that. With only SWTOR to provide the Star Wars fix, it may have kept some dollars rolling in that would not have otherwise.

I really don't get this line of reasoning. SWG ran for eight years. It was released at a time when the new movies were fresh on everyone's minds and they even released two expansions capitalizing on this. (Rage of the Wookies and Trials of Obiwan). Yet by the time it shut down it was barely surviving. If it had been a success, there would have been no need tor TOR and it wouldn't have shut down.

If SWG was still around, a few players would go back to it after playing TOR, see the outdated graphics, clunky combat,bugs galore, and boring leveling experience and quit. I don't see how a game that couldn't survive on its own when it was the only Star Wars MMO in town could do better when one with higher quality is there as an alternative. Something for the haters to keep in mind when they say "TOR is only alive because it's Star Wars." TOR sold more than SWG ever did and TOR has more subs than SWG ever did. If TOR is only surviving because its Star Wars, then what does that make SWG?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by ktanner3

And the end game PVP. That was a complete disaster. But everything else was spot on.

I really don't get this line of reasoning. SWG ran for eight years. It was released at a time when the new movies were fresh on everyone's minds and they even released two expansions capitalizing on this. (Rage of the Wookies and Trials of Obiwan). Yet by the time it shut down it was barely surviving. If it had been a success, there would have been no need tor TOR and it wouldn't have shut down.

If SWG was still around, a few players would go back to it after playing TOR, see the outdated graphics, clunky combat,bugs galore, and boring leveling experience and quit. I don't see how a game that couldn't survive on its own when it was the only Star Wars MMO in town could do better when a much better one is there to compete with it.

To each their own. SWG provided me not only a Star Wars fix, but also the sandbox elements I prefer, and the immersion I'm after when I play an MMO. Your assessment of SWG is purely subjective. It DID survive on it's own, this much is a fact. Whether it survived "barely" or (as you say "couldn't survive on its own) is not known by players. Whether it could survive alongside another Star Wars MMO is speculative.

What is not speculative is that I know, without a doubt, that I would have quit SWTOR sooner and returned to SWG if it was there, and I would be playing it even to this day. It's my belief that I would not be alone in this. Whether that playerbase would be enough to justify SWG's existence or not, is - again - speculation.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

If SWG was still around, a few players would go back to it after playing TOR, see the outdated graphics, clunky combat,bugs galore, and boring leveling experience and quit. I don't see how a game that couldn't survive on its own when it was the only Star Wars MMO in town could do better when a much better one is there to compete with it.

To each their own. SWG provided me not only a Star Wars fix, but also the sandbox elements I prefer, and the immersion I'm after when I play an MMO.

And that is fine. If you're a sandbox lover then TOR was never going to appeal to you. I can enjoy both. I liked Vanilla SWG and TOR. I hated the NGE.

Your assessment of SWG is purely subjective. It DID survive on it's own, this much is a fact. Whether it survived "barely" or (as you say "couldn't survive on its own) is not known by players.

Whether it could survive alongside another Star Wars MMO is speculative.

What is not speculative is that I know, without a doubt, that I would have quit SWTOR sooner and returned to SWG if it was there, and I would be playing it even to this day. It's my belief that I would not be alone in this. Whether that playerbase would be enough to justify SWG's existence or not, is - again - speculation.

Of course it's all speculative. I'm just throwing my "speculation" out there. One thing I do know is this: Successful games don't shut down. The last estimate I read on SWG subs was 50,000. Obviously that along with the TCG profits wasn't enough. The last time I popped into the NGE the game looked dead as a door nail. I'd run across a player every now and then but I would see far more NPCs than players. I'd walk around Restuss for long periods of time and the only opposing players that attacked me were the occasional spies hiding among the NPCs.And this was before the security leak and shut down announcement. The guild I joined after the NGE which was around 50 players was down to a couple guys who weren't even bothering with guild events anymore. When the shut down announcement came, most of the reaction I saw across the internet was "That game was still going?" The only tears I would read on the internet was a few posters on this site. The same ones who continue to carry a grudge and blame TOR for NGE's failures.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• cgplayercgplayer Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Pongo_
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Pongo_
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Panzerbase
    So basically the the hyped WoW killer became a niche game catering to Star Wars fans who can ignore the deficiencies. 

SWTOR devs never made any direct comments about being WOW killer. The only company i know who made a direct statement was Anet.

“We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them. We’ll be satisfied when the Guild Wars 2 is the most successful MMO

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/out-for-number-one/

And i read recently they have 400K concurrent players.

All the  WOW killer hype for STO was generated by players as usual.

Ray Muzyka did say Old Republic 'will more than compete' with World of Warcraft

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306437/bioware-old-republic-will-more-than-compete-with-world-of-warcraft/

Every MMO that releases competes with WOW but there is difference between competing with WOW and absurd cocky claims to beat WOW and become number one.

I don't think you read the article. 

fact is bioware did make absurd cocky claims.

At the time that article was written SWG was active, in full swing, and servers were surprisingly growing, with 3 locked out servers to transfers as they were all FULL, and could not accept any more players and a fourth filling up fast. No proof of this claim.... also go read this then go cry on GW2 website.  

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/out-for-number-one/

SWTOR can not even manage to get 1 FULL server now, although that is down to them not adding in all round server transfers. The only transfers they allow for is when servers get dead. I do not understand why they do not make this possible from day one -  server populations are going down equally because of it, and players are unable to move, so when they will all eventually get low enough, more people will stop playing the game. Again the servers are far far far from dead.  Try playing the game you fool.  Multiple instances on every single planet.  Less than ten min to que for fp.  Ops being run all day long, people look for groups for ops, guilds recruiting.  How this site allow you to continue to lie and spew crap is a joke about as big of a joke as everyone calls you.  

Also that is around the time when Dallas Dickinson started the "difficult triage process" cutting features out of the game which also probably included the removal of SWG: SWG is dead it died SWTOR is growing your sad pathetic attempt to bring down SWTOR is a joke.  GIve up dude move on already.  

Despite the freaky growth of SWG in June 2011, they still decided to shut down the game 2 weeks later. Why shut down a game that is growing? They wanted to make sure SW fans only have 1 MMO to be able to play. With all the stuff they planned to cut out of the game, their confidence in SWTOR took a massive nose dive. If SWG stayed alive, SWTOR would be totally dead now.  Yeah there was no freakish growth in SWG in years again no proof of this claim.  Then again copy/paste the same crap...part of me wishes SWG didnt die so you would not have wasted 1 1/2 of your life whining and crying about a VIDEO GAME.  

Maybe if they did not cut these features out, then the game may have lived up to those claims? Cut what features?  Oh you mean all the stuff they have added from launch was cut right...what a joke you are.  

One thing is for sure, is that SWTOR has been one big massive financial MMO screw up. Since F2P its been one massive financial success.  

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

To each their own. SWG provided me not only a Star Wars fix, but also the sandbox elements I prefer, and the immersion I'm after when I play an MMO.

And that is fine. If you're a sandbox lover then TOR was never going to appeal to you. I can enjoy both. I liked Vanilla SWG and TOR. I hated the NGE.

Your assessment of SWG is purely subjective. It DID survive on it's own, this much is a fact. Whether it survived "barely" or (as you say "couldn't survive on its own) is not known by players.

Whether it could survive alongside another Star Wars MMO is speculative.

Of course it's all speculative. I'm just throwing my "speculation" out there. One thing I do know is this: Successful games don't shut down. The last estimate I read on SWG subs was 50,000. Obviously that along with the TCG profits wasn't enough. The last time I popped into the NGE the game looked dead as a door nail. I'd run across a player every now and then but I would see far more NPCs than players. I'd walk around Restuss for long periods of time and the only opposing players that attacked me were the occasional spies hiding among the NPCs.And this was before the security leak and shut down announcement. The guild I joined after the NGE which was around 50 players was down to a couple guys who weren't even bothering with guild events anymore. When the shut down announcement came, most of the reaction I saw across the internet was "That game was still going?" The only tears I would read on the internet was a few posters on this site. The same ones who continue to carry a grudge and blame TOR for NGE's failures.

Before the security breach in May 2011, SWG was not looking good, there was only 1 server that was thriving, and it was locked out to free transfers as was FULL, but after the security breach, the servers were growing, and 2 more servers had to be locked out to free transfers, with a fourth growing. I do not know what made the servers grow, as no other free period made that happen before.  Then they announced it to be shut down - makes no sense, and to give it 6 months notice too, and none of it makes sense, as they could have waited a couple of months to see what the populations would have been like and it still would have had 4 months notice. Usually games that shut down only give 1-3 months notice, never 6 months, plus it shuts down right before SWTOR launches - There is definitely more to the shut down that it "barely surviving" and not being successful. The fact it was announced to shut when populations were growing proves It was being shut down regardless even if it sustained that success

If SWTOR sustained its millions of subs, SWG would have been a faded memory, as EVERYONE hedged their bets on its success and then EVERYONE lost. I think if Smedley could see the future and see the decline of SWTOR in 2012, he would have put more effort into saving SWG, but as he said later when he was able to save EQ mac, is that LA called the shots with SWG and was powerless. SOE did not want SWG shut down, devs worked round the clock to keep updates coming, and deserted Vanguard. After the shut down announcement, updates started to come to Vanguard again.

If SWG stayed alive, I would have played both, and still probably be playing SWTOR as SWG would have kept me from playing it loads, but SWG was not alive, so all my time went into SWTOR over a few months, and then was enough to play the game, the stories are the only thing that made the game worthwhile, and that is finite fun. SWG was infinite fun, as you made the content and the gameplay yourself.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

what difference does it make how many people play it? will it effect how much u like it?

This discussion has been closed.