Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this game is more complex than it lets on...

aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

the augmentation system, the crafting system, the dragon system: all these game mechanics have at least 3 or 4 layers to them that i never would have thought of or expected. its quite a pleasant surprise and worth having a peek i think since its F2P (although i personally find it to be P2W as well, more on that in another post).

wont take up space here, if you'd like to hear more about the game and later on my thoughts as to why it is P2W you can follow the link to my mmorpg.com blog metagamer.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Comments

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346

I was shocked about how prevalent the cash shop is. It is integrated into every system. It looks like very careful planning went into maximize profits.

The plus side is that their is lots of cool systems.

The down side is they are all attached to the cash shop.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    I don't see much chat but yeah the crafting system is more than what it first looks like. Graphics look a bit dated but I'll probably be playing for a little bit atleast.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Damedius

I was shocked about how prevalent the cash shop is. It is integrated into every system. It looks like very careful planning went into maximize profits.

It always makes me smile when people lament the fact there is a cash shop in a game.  You don't NEED to spend anything in a game's Cash Shop.  I haven't seen anything in the store that is crucial to have, so I won't be spending anything.  

Plus, think of the things you get for free that other game companies charge for!   We get 6 character slots (the usual number is more often 2 or sometimes 4), mounts that can be tamed and don't need to be purchased from a vendor.  No need to buy Riding Skill and pay to upgrade it in order to ride faster mounts. Not many games give you that from day one.

Originally posted by Dibdabs

It always makes me smile when people lament the fact there is a cash shop in a game.  You don't NEED to spend anything in a game's Cash Shop.  I haven't seen anything in the store that is crucial to have, so I won't be spending anything.  

Plus, think of the things you get for free that other game companies charge for!   We get 6 character slots (the usual number is more often 2 or sometimes 4), mounts that can be tamed and don't need to be purchased from a vendor.  No need to buy Riding Skill and pay to upgrade it in order to ride faster mounts. Not many games give you that from day one.

You could spend $100 on bank space.

$20-30 dollars on backpack space.

Another $20-30 on dragon and dragon lair spaces.

This is without touching all the Pay for advantage features that tie into every system of the game.

You easily spend more than you would for a subscription mmo to get the features included in one.

Which is why companies are switching to this system of payment. To increase revenue.

None of which are crucial, and they're things I won't be buying because I don't need them. NOTHING in the cash shop is absolutely essential to the enjoyment of playing the game.  They add convenience at best, and if people want to pay for convenience, well, at least they haven't paid for a boxed game or a sub.

• codifiercodifier Member UncommonPosts: 47

This is without touching all the Pay for advantage features that tie into every system of the game.

You easily spend more than you would for a subscription mmo to get the features included in one.

Which is why companies are switching to this system of payment. To increase revenue.

Pfwahahahahahahaha. So basically everything in the cash shop is P2W? Even more Bank/Inventory slots is P2W? Oh my god!

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

None of which are crucial, and they're things I won't be buying because I don't need them. NOTHING in the cash shop is absolutely essential to the enjoyment of playing the game.  They add convenience at best, and if people want to pay for convenience, well, at least they haven't paid for a boxed game or a sub.

Isn't there 30-day-repairhammers at $10 as well? ($10/month)

Why not just buy a box, pay the 15 bucks every month until you get bored, but have access to everything, and never worry about bank space, repair hammers, backpacks....

and not to forget that, you'll be reminded that they want your money every time you die, and get the option to pay to resurrect on the spot.

Stuff like is fked up, I want to enjoy my games without feeling im in a credit card trap.

Depends whether or not crafting is crucial to your enjoyment of the game.

Originally posted by PieRad

Why not just buy a box, pay the 15 bucks every month until you get bored, but have access to everything, and never worry about bank space, repair hammers, backpacks....

and not to forget that, you'll be reminded that they want your money every time you die, and get the option to pay to resurrect on the spot.

Stuff like is fked up, I want to enjoy my games without feeling im in a credit card trap.

You can look at it the other way around.  Use the money you'd otherwise have spent on the boxed game and the first month or two of a sub and get something you want, if you really have to.  I'm not bothered about where I spawn after I die, or repair hammers and similar trivial things, so I'm perfectly happy if I respawn in a settlement and just use the normal vendors to repair stuff.  The things you mention are purely for convenience.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    what I decided to do is just subscribe to Planetside 2 for the buffs and use the monthly SC for Dragon's Prophet :P.  Because, I agree the cash shop needs work.  However with this set up I justify the cost :D.
  • SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

This.

I find that a lot of F2P models are just so gdamn annoying.  Buy a mount, buy a bank slot, buy a character slot, buy a quest pack...nag, nag, nag.  It just ruins the fact that you are trying to play a fkin game and trying to enjoy yourself. 

I can ignore it easily, but I wish I didn't have to.  An option for a sub with total access to the game would be great. Have all the annoying F2P bullshit you want, but allow me the option to pay a NORMAL box price and a sub so I have the choice to not be hounded every second for money.   Even if you just spend what you ordinarily would on a box and a sub in the cash shop, it still doesn't eliminate the annoyance of being nickle, dimed and advertised to death at every turn. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Or, even better, play a free to play game where you only pay for what you want, when you want it. What are you doing that you're buying 30-day repair hammers every month... of a game that's been live for less than a week?

See, making up crap with numbers is fun and all, but the reality is that the majority of people enjoying the game will spend a few dollars a month or nothing at all. Of the money they spent, they can pick and choose what they want when they want it. A player gets more storage space at levels 10 and 20.

You played the game, Pierad, correct? If so, you agree that if a person is spending money on the game during the first 20 levels, they either are enjoying the game or doing something wrong, no? If the former, who are we to decide how much someone should be allowed to spend on what they enjoy? If the latter, then is that a fault of the game or a fault of the player?

On that 15 dollars a month of yours, I think you forget that, for most MMOs, by the fourth month, you're already 80-100 dollars into the game. In the F2P model, most people that spend don't start doing so until they are several months in and want to spend money on the game.

That means that while a person *can* spend gobs and gobs of cash in DP if they want, they don't have to spend a dime until they feel they need/want to and even then they spend it on exactly what they want. Even better, if they don't play for a month or even just play lightly for a month, they probably won't spend a dime during that period, the same period where the subscription player pays his 15 dollars for the zero or minimal time he played.

To each his own, but the ForumMaths of inferring that because something exists in an item shop, one a) needs it and b) must buy it monthly is getting old.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Or, even better, play a free to play game where you only pay for what you want, when you want it. What are you doing that you're buying 30-day repair hammers every month... of a game that's been live for less than a week?

See, making up crap with numbers is fun and all, but the reality is that the majority of people enjoying the game will spend a few dollars a month or nothing at all. Of the money they spent, they can pick and choose what they want when they want it. A player gets more storage space at levels 10 and 20.

You played the game, Pierad, correct? If so, you agree that if a person is spending money on the game during the first 20 levels, they either are enjoying the game or doing something wrong, no? If the former, who are we to decide how much someone should be allowed to spend on what they enjoy? If the latter, then is that a fault of the game or a fault of the player?

On that 15 dollars a month of yours, I think you forget that, for most MMOs, by the fourth month, you're already 80-100 dollars into the game. In the F2P model, most people that spend don't start doing so until they are several months in and want to spend money on the game.

That means that while a person *can* spend gobs and gobs of cash in DP if they want, they don't have to spend a dime until they feel they need/want to and even then they spend it on exactly what they want. Even better, if they don't play for a month or even just play lightly for a month, they probably won't spend a dime during that period, the same period where the subscription player pays his 15 dollars for the zero or minimal time he played.

To each his own, but the ForumMaths of inferring that because something exists in an item shop, one a) needs it and b) must buy it monthly is getting old.

I'm not personally buying 30day reparing hammers, obviously.. I don't know what you're point was with that?

The game sells it, and you might not need it to start with, you might not need it ever, but rest assured the game will be pushing you towards it.

And that is my point, I want to play the game without getting reminded that it's an online shop for pixels all the time, and that the game is just an add for the shop.

You know, it's a fact that F2P make more money than P2P, and the reason why is that many small purchases is way easier than a big one, it takes less to make people purchase that $5 backpack, and as soon as their cc info is saved, it's veeeery convenient to buy those bank slots as well, etc. etc. etc.

You're correct, and I agree with the notion that no one is forced to buy anything, and that was never the issue, the issue is getting this stuffed in your face at every turn.

If you have to cross a valley, the game will sell you bride, if too many people chooses to climb, they'll dig the valley deeper.

This is what's wrong with F2P...

Yes, it's nice for kids who never worked a job, they can now play all the games, but the companies never changed to F2P because it's what's best for the gamers, they changed to F2P because they can trap and milk everyone.

• urriel1970urriel1970 Member UncommonPosts: 120
    this game ..i.e dragon's prophet is runes of magic with new crafting and dragon's....with crappier graphics..its not bad..but gone into obt way to soon....and runes was p2w on a major level.!
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I'm not personally buying 30day reparing hammers, obviously.. I don't know what you're point was with that?

The game sells it, and you might not need it to start with, you might not need it ever, but rest assured the game will be pushing you towards it.

And that is my point, I want to play the game without getting reminded that it's an online shop for pixels all the time, and that the game is just an add for the shop.

You know, it's a fact that F2P make more money than P2P, and the reason why is that many small purchases is way easier than a big one, it takes less to make people purchase that $5 backpack, and as soon as their cc info is saved, it's veeeery convenient to buy those bank slots as well, etc. etc. etc.

You're correct, and I agree with the notion that no one is forced to buy anything, and that was never the issue, the issue is getting this stuffed in your face at every turn.

If you have to cross a valley, the game will sell you bride, if too many people chooses to climb, they'll dig the valley deeper.

This is what's wrong with F2P...

Yes, it's nice for kids who never worked a job, they can now play all the games, but the companies never changed to F2P because it's what's best for the gamers, they changed to F2P because they can trap and milk everyone.

Well, that, and people don't sub to terrible games, and terrible games became the norm.

Well, YOU brought up the repair hammer, apropos of nothing.  We had to assume you had some point to make about it.  :)

I don't see the fact that there is a Cash Shop being stuffed in my face at all.  The only time it pops up by itself is when it says there's an option to respawn at a settlement or buy some item off the Shop when you die - hardly pressure selling!  This game is Pay For Convenience, not P2W.  As I mentioned above, you get free mounts, all character classes, 6 character slots and access to all game content.   The game doesn't even have fancy dragon mounts in the Shop!  There's many a current game that would charge you for those from the very outset.  All in all I find this game has the least intrusive Cash Shop in any game I have played.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

From what I've seen of the Cash Shop so far, it includes cosmetic and convenience items. I use in-game currency for travel, crafting, repairs, enhancements, etc. I've not had any trouble with mobs, quests or leveling with just the game mechanics and features.

Then again, when I play an MMO, I don't think of myself as in some sort of direct competition against other players. I don't feel that my game experience is somehow lessened because I only have x number of dragons while the next guy over has spent money to have and additional y number. Why should that bother me when I'm still able to have fun and accomplish what I set out to do?

To the OP's point... yes, the game IS far more complex then it lets on. There is a lot to do, and the achievement system helps reward players for doing it. Rewards are sometimes in-game currency, experience points, and usable items.

So far, I've also found that crafted armor is often better then drops, and certainly better then NPC vendors. I don't know if that holds true at higher levels. (I'm currently level 18).

The game is very enjoyable, especially for anyone who likes playing "creature handler"-type classes.

Well, YOU brought up the repair hammer, apropos of nothing.  We had to assume you had some point to make about it.  :)

I don't see the fact that there is a Cash....

Read my posts again... If you try, you'll understand why i mentioned hammers.

I questioned his statement about me buying 30 day repair hammers 1 week into the game.

Blah.. Just like Neverwinter right? You guys defended that as well, until you got to late game and figured out that it was actually pretty bad.

You'll probably be harder pressed to buy those hammers in end game.. When you're invested in the game.

If you really play these games free, you'll be restricted to the point it's no fun, like 1 or 2 small bags, limited bank etc.

If you pay, well then statistics says you'll probably give them more money than you would have in a P2P game.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

I think this is a SOE game.  As of now, they do not have any way to get Station Cash in game.  In LOTRO , you can (if you wish) grind endlessly away to get turbine points and spend them.  In that game you really do not have to spend one dollar.  Now, if you want to spend you time creating noob character after noob character and farm deeds.....go ahead.  It's boring as hell and it is easier to justify spending money when you factor in the time.

Some of the perfect world games have a way to sell things for in game currency.  EVE online has PLEX, which is basically the same thing.  So you can get by without spending money if you are shrewd.

But a game like Neverwinter, which has no subscription base and was CLEARLY designed that way, you will spend money.  Sure, you can just play the basica game....but why do that?  Why go into a restaurant and eat the crackers and free bread and water.

SOE is all about the cash shop, which should scare a lot of people away when you start talking about EQ Next which will probably not have a subscription.

You are going to pay.  And the secret is you will pay MORE than a subscription game.  50 dollars for the game and about 120 a month.  Seems like a lot....then you take a look at the price of Neverwinter's mounts (40 dollars) and you realize that if you truly play the game with all its bells and whistles you will pay a lot more than 200 dollars a year for the game.  You will just spend it in little dollar chunks so it "feels" like you are spending less.

SOE will go the same route.  Dragon's Prophet only exists as a game for SOE to work the kinks out of their cash shop model.  It's the junior varsity squad, while EQ Next is their varsity game.  They cannot afford to screw up with EQ Next, so they experiment with Dragons Prophet

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

I think the only thing that may be truly pay 2 win is the dragon slots (they do offer advantages).  But, IMO the dragons being limited to 12 no matter how much you spend was a bad idea.

I wish they would offer a sub option they do for their other mmo's but I doubt they will at this point no matter how much people want it.

• NhyxNhyx Member Posts: 18
    I came to this thread to read about the game systems. Although admittedly the cash shop is a game system, too, these discussions are held in other threads ad nauseum.I long for the day that people start to understand how to use a forum.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by NetSage

I think the only thing that may be truly pay 2 win is the dragon slots (they do offer advantages).  But, IMO the dragons being limited to 12 no matter how much you spend was a bad idea.

I wish they would offer a sub option they do for their other mmo's but I doubt they will at this point no matter how much people want it.

I agree, although it costs less than 5 dollars to unlock the 4 slots. Hardly wallet breaking.

• romelloromello Member Posts: 34

I found the game boring and graphics didn't help lol....  Just not my cup of tea :/

Only having 2 slots to cap dragons made it even worse...heck take a look at this thread

https://forums.station.sony.com/dragonsprophet/index.php?threads/total-sc-cost-to-unlock-basic-features.2197/

wow bad game with even worse cash shop, even ppl make thread that they cant find players ingame I WONDER WHY ?

hallo ~_~

• bigbudzbigbudz Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by codifier

Pfwahahahahahahaha. So basically everything in the cash shop is P2W? Even more Bank/Inventory slots is P2W? Oh my god!

Please reread the statements and then look at your post...I know reading comprehension is hard. 

Current PC Build

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/p8RBD3

Present: Current offerings are low quality or soloable

Past:AoC, DCUO, FFXI,FFXIV 1.0 and ARR,WoW,Fallen Earth, Tabula Rasa, TSW, SWTOR, Rift, Aion, WAR, Darkfall, STO, CoH/CoV, GW2, Diaspora, EQ2, DDO, and a bunch of forgettable ftp games

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

My take on DP after a fair amount of beta participation:

• Taming Dragons as a central feature of differentiation wears thin very quickly. It was cool at first, but it didn't take long for it to become "so what". I know there is depth to the system, but the novelty factor dissipates quickly.
    • The game is a quest grinder. Period. There is nothing inventive about the quest system, the mobs have pretty poor AI and the game very quickly starts to feel like any other quest grinder from a half decade or more ago.
    • Combat is very similar to TERA, sans the reticule and with much poorer enemy AI. TERA combat grew on me over time and I still occasionally hop in to play now that that game is F2P. If you like TERA combat, you might have liked combat here, if the AI weren't so boring and bad.
    • Cash Shop. This IS a "Pay to Win" game. A good portion of your stats can come from gear enhancements and you only get one enhancement slot per item for free. The rest need to be unlocked via the Cash Shop. Base stats included, a character with all four slots unlocked and populated on their character could possibly have stats 3X , or more, as high as the player who doesn't pay to unlock any slots. Dragon enhancement follows the same design and there are other areas of the game where you have to pay to compete. Absolutely the most crass cash shop seen in a game with a significant western target audience to date!
    There are pluses to the game, and more minuses, but the bullet points above cover the reasons I'm passing on this game pretty succinctly. IMO, SOE is using this game to test the waters to see just how crass a cash shop Western Audiences will accept, before finalizing their business model for EQ Next.

This game has one novelty feature that, sadly, isn't that great. Otherwise it is an exercise in very tired and old MMO game design. If that isn't enough to dissuade you, then consider the impact every dollar spent in this game's cash shop will have on the business model for EQN. Anyone looking forward to EQN and not particularly keen on that game having a Pay to Win cash shop model, should hope that cash shop spending on DP is as close to zero as possible.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated