Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should there be a new genre called MOG?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

There are many casual and even some hardcore players that love to solo in an online game. That doesn't mean they play it like a singleplayer game. In EVE, all I did was trade, socialize, craft and mine. In a singleplayer game, I can do some of those things...but its all stagnant. I can't really trade (there is no real economy in a singleplayer game) and I can't socialize or do anything I can in an online game. Online games are far more fun than singleplayer games...just because of all the people around you and talking, it really feels alive.

But I also don't want to rely on having to do anything in a group. And many online companies have seen this, and have made their online game very soloable and great for casual players. WoW was first to succeed at this, as far as I know (Its my first "MMO", but I tried a few before and never liked them).

Now I'm thinking a new sub-genre can come from this. Developers have already got rid of the RP in the name. But what about something even more simpler, MOG. Massive Online Game. People seem to get confused that multiplayer automatically means everyone is forced to group with each other (when really, it means you can interact in any number of ways with other people). This would make things a lot more clearer, easier to pronounce (MOG) and quicker to type.

Really, I think MOGs are the future of the online game genre...and many online games (like GW2, WoW as two examples, and even EVE to some degree) don't ever force you to group and have already gone a good portion of being MOGs...but there is a lot of online activity within each of those games. But they still call themselves MMORPGs, which doesn't really fit.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    I actually wouldn't mind this at all. It would help narrowing down my choices for games. The problem is who decides which one the game falls into? You mentioned Guild Wars 2. Quite a few people will be quick to reply in here, I am guessing, to disagree with your assessment. It's all about perception. The best you can hope for is finding other like-minded individuals that share your views to discuss future games. I already do that here. There are a handful of names that I pay attention to when browsing the forums. If I see those names I know I will get quality information, as it applies to me, about an upcoming or released game that I am interested in.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Well I said GW2, because I never really grouped...but I was part of large dynamic events. I guess I'll define that more, I know there is a lot of GW2 fans that might get angry :P.

My term of soloing is not being in a group, that is how I see it. Like raiding in MMOs is forced grouping, you are forced to be in a group to raid. But if it wasn't designed like that and everyone was on their own (but working together like a GW2 dynamic event), I'd consider it soloing. It doesn't mean I'm just by myself doing my own thing (at least that is my take on it). I don't really think of trading, socializing and what not in EVE as grouping, but I'm not doing my own thing either...but I'm not in a group to do it, but I'm not like a lone wolf that plays it like a singleplayer game. That kind of defeats the purpose. I'm playing it like an online game, but not a multiplayer/co-op game...hope that makes sense.

But yeah, it would help narrow things down for people to find their online game they like. And yeah, it be nice to find others with likemindedness. Like I'm into PvE sandbox games (which there is only one sorta modern one on the market and thats ryzom), and there is a lot of PvE sandbox fans here (as I've seen in a previous thread I made about lack of PvE sandbox games)...so just have to find the right people to discuss stuff, and find the right game.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

Really, I think MOGs are the future of the online game genre...and many online games (like GW2, WoW as two examples, and even EVE to some degree) don't ever force you to group and have already gone a good portion of being MOGs...but there is a lot of online activity within each of those games. But they still call themselves MMORPGs, which doesn't really fit.

I agree. MOGs should include online ARPGs like D3, MOBAs like LOL, and instanced games like Warframe and WoT.

OTOH, MOG is only a label, like MMO. Personally i care if a game is fun, label does not really matter much. But there are certainly many MMO-like, but non-MMO games that are very fun, with new gameplay style and innovation.

That, i think, is the future of the "genre", whatever the "genre" means.