Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going to build a new AMD machine, what is the best?

olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

I plan on building a new machine, using AMD cpu and graphics. I don't want the absolute top of the line, but still a good rig.

AMD CPU: ?

AMD graphics: ?

MB: ?

8-16gb memory

1 terabyte HDD, 128 gb SSD

more stuff.

------------
2024: 47 years on the Net.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    How Much do you want to spend?

With the cpu I would get a 6 core piledriver, either the 6300 or 6350. don't get the old 6100 bulldozer though.

Video depends how much you want to spend. I thinly the 7850 and 7950 are better value for money than the 7870 and 7970 though, especially the factory clocked versions with boost.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Ok, 6300/6350 and a 7950, what's a good motherboard?

------------

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

like the man said how much do you have to spend and why do you want to go for an AMD processor and ATI card and reason?

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

Money is not really an issue, except I don't want to buy the absolute most expensive.

I work at AMD, so naturally want to use all AMD parts :)

------------

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by olepi

Money is not really an issue, except I don't want to buy the absolute most expensive.

I work at AMD, so naturally want to use all AMD parts :)

ah hehe.. cant you get them to give you some nice new demo stuff then :)

Well when I ran AMD stuff I always liked the Gigabyte boards and looking at a few reviews this seems like one of the better ones available at the moment..

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-350-GI&groupid=701&catid=1903&subcat=2046

but i have not had an AMD processor since my 1055t..

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by olepi
    Money is not really an issue, except I don't want to buy the absolute most expensive.I work at AMD, so naturally want to use all AMD parts :)

The 63xx series has been mentioned before on these forums as a "good deal". Apparently comparable to the previous generation of i5 processors, which were the go to cpu for gaming machines. I don't think cpu needs have jumped tremendously in awhile, so the 63xx series is probably the best deal for the money.

I've heard good things about the ASRock motherboards in general, and the price on them is in the $100 or less range. However, it seems that some of their boards are DOA, so maybe go with Gigabyte. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Asus make the best motherboards.
    for a 7950 the HIS iceQ one, which is factory clocked and cooled is very nice.

But asus, sapphire, gigabyte etc.. also make 7950s fitted with a custom cooler and a boost function.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI all make nice motherboards.

I usually go with Asus myself because I'm familiar with them, but my brother swears by Gigabyte - no serious problems with either brand. I've built a few with MSI boards as well, and they were pretty decent to work with.

I would consider going up to the 8320 or 8350 if you aren't really constrained by a budget. They are the flagship AMD desktop CPUs, and they aren't terribly expensive in the first place.

Graphics is where your really going to spend your money anyway - determine your budget, get everything put together except the graphics, and then spend whatever money you have left on the graphics card. AMD GPU's start around $100 and work all the way up to however much you want to spend on them - $450 for a single CPU card, and there are a few dual CPU cards that I don't recommend, but are available.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Isn't AMD releasing a whole new socket and new processors in the next couple months?  The AM3 is getting a bit old.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

While I normally try to discourage people from strongly preferring one brand over another, loyalty to the company that gives you pay checks is understandable--especially if you get an employee discount.

What's your budget?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by Cleffy
    Isn't AMD releasing a whole new socket and new processors in the next couple months?  The AM3 is getting a bit old.

Kaveri is due late this year, and will likely use a new socket.  But Kaveri will largely be for the sake of integrated graphics, and likely not what the original poster wants.  I'd expect AMD to release a CPU with the same Steamroller cores as in Kaveri soon after, but it's not on their 2013 road maps, so that would be 2014 at the earliest.

The big upcoming AMD product (which is now officially released, actually) is Kabini/Temash/Opteron X-series/whatever else they decide to brand it as for different markets.  But that's with Jaguar cores and meant for very low end rigs (nettops) or form factors where low power is extremely important, such as tablets, and not what the original poster should get in a desktop.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by Cleffy

Kaveri is due late this year, and will likely use a new socket.  But Kaveri will largely be for the sake of integrated graphics, and likely not what the original poster wants.  I'd expect AMD to release a CPU with the same Steamroller cores as in Kaveri soon after, but it's not on their 2013 road maps, so that would be 2014 at the earliest.

The big upcoming AMD product (which is now officially released, actually) is Kabini/Temash/Opteron X-series/whatever else they decide to brand it as for different markets.  But that's with Jaguar cores and meant for very low end rigs (nettops) or form factors where low power is extremely important, such as tablets, and not what the original poster should get in a desktop.

Hot off the press:

http://wccftech.com/amd-kaveri-apus-compatible-socket-fm2-roadmap-confirms-launch-late-2013/

Kaveri uses FM2+.  

Yeah but kAVEri is an apu, not the same as a dedicated gpu and cpu. 8350 will be amds flagship processor for at least 18 months.
  • TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

Here is a good combo a la new egg with the 8350, pair that with the 7950 and you have one very torquey machine.  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1297656

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Tibbz

Here is a good combo a la new egg with the 8350, pair that with the 7950 and you have one very torquey machine.  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1297656

That would be good if you added a SSD for the OS and games.