Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Elder Scrolls Online: The Look & Feel of Daggerfall

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well more than that, its like bitching about the album before hearing it, hoping they will bash out a whole new set of tracks in a couple of weeks.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

As long as people never pre-order a game, they will be fine.

Pre-ordering encourages people to lie about a game before it's released.

Vorth

Nope, you've still not explained how you are FORCED to pvp.

I've not seen any statements from zos about npc guards that frog march you down to cyrodil.

What they are making is a game with equal focus on playstyles where no one is forced to do any. This is verified for instance with zos statements like pve / pvp / craft gear will be EQUAL in quality.

Now hypotheticaly, if say I had an agenda to at the last minute change TESO into some wow style raiders first, screw everyone else game, I could se the advantage of using emotive phrases like "forced pvp"
  • wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Is Daggerfall the fabric of our lives? (Sorry. I had to.)
  • AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I'll never understand how people say TES games are heavy PvP games...last time I checked in Skyrim there was ZERO ZERO ZERO ZERO, zero incase you didn't catch it, PvP...So if TES games are supposed to be PvP heavy, then Skyrim wasn't a TES game either...In fact, I personally think of all the TES games as PvE games.  The sooner people figure that out, the better off we'll all be.

I'm still on the fence, as with any game I haven't played myself, but I look forward to trying it out and making my own opinion.  There's only one opinion that matters to me, and that's mine :)

Edit: Just to clarify, I can see how having all the factions and people in different factions lends itself to a PvP game, however to say an IP that has very little to do with PvP should go all out PvP is just wrong imho.  Here's a list you should take note of:

The Elder Scrolls: Arena - No PvP
    Daggerfall - No PvP
    Morrowind - No PvP
    Oblivion - No PvP
    Skyrim - No PvP

...just sayin' 

Look everyone, a NWO fanboi who failed reading comp in school joined the thread!

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I just hope the game isn't a linear quest hub grind.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Nice write up, thanks. I can't wait to give this title a spin.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    I just hope the game isn't a linear quest hub grind.

This I can guarantee it is not. You can go anywhere and do quests throughout the world without hand holding. I assure you sleep well. ;)

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    [mod edit]

Actually, some people do have experience with the game. there are the PAX previews as well as the current closed beta.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    [mod edit]

How are carbine "more open with the player base"

They declared Wildstar a sandpark ffs. When its basicly the same old wow setup + instanced housing.
  • PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Just about any hardcore ESO would be better suited to give us an accurate assessment than this amateur, I mean really you people can't hire dedicated gamers? I thought I was reading an article written by a child. 
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Game looks awesome. I can't  see any other fantasy mmo to be competitive with TESO. Nice job Suzie, do not listen to haters, who cares what they write anyway.

I'm with this guy....  Can't wait to get my hands on this game.

Only thing that could put me off this game is if the business model is FTP + cash shop

Sub please!!!!

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    How are carbine "more open with the player base"

They declared Wildstar a sandpark ffs. When its basicly the same old wow setup + instanced housing.

Remember before you jump on the bandwagon, i haven't declared Wildstar the best mmo for quests and interaction and all the things you have declare ESO to be, let's not dwell on something i have not said, nice try though.

As for Carbine being more open, well you only have to look at the times the devs have been on this site with live q&a and answering players question plus in game vids.

So just so we are clear i've only ever posted in one wildstar thread and i didn't declare them to have all the best quests and interaction and the other features that you reckon ESO has the best of.

So nice try getting away from what we are actually talking about, i'm a bit smarter than to fall for a decoy.

Back to your claims about ESO, now we have sorted that little blip out.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Savage the only thing I will agree with you up until this point is that I don't like that Zenimax has taken the SWTOR approach to marketing. I don't want to see trailers, previews, etc. I want actual gameplay videos. However, knowing that, it doesn't necessarily mean that they will have the same end result as SWTOR. They may. They may not. Ill be one of the first to criticize this game if it isn't a fun experience. 

There Is Always Hope!

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by keithian
    Savage the only thing I will agree with you up until this point is that I don't like that Zenimax has taken the SWTOR approach to marketing. I don't want to see trailers, previews, etc. I want actual gameplay videos. However, knowing that, it doesn't necessarily mean that they will have the same end result as SWTOR. They may. They may not. Ill be one of the first to criticize this game if it isn't a fun experience. 

Contrary to popular belief, SWTOR had an awesome release.  What killed them was not the game that shipped, it was their failure to follow up on the game that shipped by providing fixes and value in the form of new content to their players in a timely manner.  Their first month sales were higher than any other previous MMO or MMO expansion.

I'm pretty sure ESO would be pleased if they could sell 2 million copies in the first month.  

Also I agree that it would have been nice if Suzie would have put in more than an hour into Skyrim as Skyrim is a huge game.  Frankly it would be like comparing a game to WoW when you have only played the starting area in WoW.  Now really I would love it if she had actually played Daggerfall, as all of the different lands in ES kind of have their own feel.  But you kind of have to use your imagination a lot with Daggerfall graphics.  But saying it feels like Daggerfall based on Skyrim, is like going to Italy and saying it feels like England having only gone to America.

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

If you get to the open (or closed beta) and the game is crap then you can expect it to be crap once it is launched. Prior to that all reports on the game should be taken with a grain of salt be they positive or not. Also NEVER, EVER pre-order a game unless you have played it through and through in a open beta. This includes sampling the "end game" content.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by M1sf1t

If you get to the open (or closed beta) and the game is crap then you can expect it to be crap once it is launched. Prior to that all reports on the game should be taken with a grain of salt be they positive or not. Also NEVER, EVER pre-order a game unless you have played it through and through in a open beta. This includes sampling the "end game" content.

This.  100% This.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Vorth

Nope, you've still not explained how you are FORCED to pvp.

I've not seen any statements from zos about npc guards that frog march you down to cyrodil.

What they are making is a game with equal focus on playstyles where no one is forced to do any. This is verified for instance with zos statements like pve / pvp / craft gear will be EQUAL in quality.

Now hypotheticaly, if say I had an agenda to at the last minute change TESO into some wow style raiders first, screw everyone else game, I could se the advantage of using emotive phrases like "forced pvp"

By the very use of the word focus in the context of PvP, would presuppose that the focus is therefore on PvP and not PvE.  This would indicate that the focus of end game progression would also be located in the central focus of the game's end game content, which has been iterated as AvA / PvP.  Maybe if they used different language to describe end game "focus" and applied it to other types of content, which would then remove the necessity of using the term focus as it is now broadened to all play styles, then I might be more inclined to believe they aren't in fact, focusing on PvP as their end game.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

"I played Skyrim for about an hour before I gave up in utter frustration at the inventory system. Since that time, I know that mods have been made, but by then it was too late for me."

This is why I never play a game at launch now, there is usually an issue that after a patch or mod a couple of months after launch will be fixed.

But if you have to play it at launch because people are talking about it, that's your look out.

• HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 104

Great article.  Looking forward to ESO

Btw - For the last image in the article, the javascript ViewImage method doesn't like the apostrophe in "M'Kai" in the image file name.

You can view it directly at:  http://images.mmorpg.com/features/7451/images/Stros_M'Kai.jpg

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Vlacke
    Originally posted by GamersHeroes

"Even with only an hour of Skyrim under my belt, the city of Daggerfall felt familiar."

What? Skyrim and Daggerfall are entirely different regions of Tamriel and Daggerfall doesn't even feature in Skyrim...

This.

Bill is apparently very new to the world of Elder Scrolls and to the games in which said world is featured, therefore he gives this game somewhat unfounded praise in his article.

Unless the developers were dumb enough to make Daggerfall a copy of Skyrim, which would boggle my mind but it is not unexpected entirely from people who thought AvA and faction lock are just what people want in their ES experience, Daggerfall simply cannot and most of all should not feel "familiar" with an hour of playtime in Skyrim under your belt.

First: I didn't write this article, Suzie did.

Second: I took it to mean that the game itself felt like an Elder Scrolls title, even with her limited exposure to the series.  YMMV, and Suzie can comment further, but that's how I read it.

to that I say, anyone who has only played TES for an hour should not even be writing an article on it and telling us how familiar 'anything' is in comparison.

review all you want, but she should not try to convince a disgruntled fanbase that their worries are unfounded, which we all know was the point of those comments.

• GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301
    So many haters for a game that hasn't even done a significant beta yet.  I'm an old guy, been playing MMOs since they were text driven MUDs.  Definitely not a fanboy, but I will be playing this game when it releases.  Keep reading posts from people saying this is just another WoW clone.  Graphics aren't even close.  Game play, who knows until we get our hands on it?  Ok, I'm probably just clueless, but I don't really understand people wanting a game to fail before it even gets set for release.  Like I said, I will be playing this game.

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by sethman75
    Cool article, thanks for the info.I don't get the hate for TESO in here. I can understand a little apprehension as it is the first TES game in the MMO world but most of the dribble on here attacking the game makes me think there is an agenda against the game.I dare to wager that most of the haters are on here are on a rival games payroll.  

its just these forums and its not just TESO either. people here would give this article tons of praise if it was written in a negative light.

the mmorpg.com community feeds off negativity.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Zairu
    Originally posted by BillMurphy Originally posted by Vlacke Originally posted by GamersHeroes "Even with only an hour of Skyrim under my belt, the city of Daggerfall felt familiar." What? Skyrim and Daggerfall are entirely different regions of Tamriel and Daggerfall doesn't even feature in Skyrim...  
    This. Bill is apparently very new to the world of Elder Scrolls and to the games in which said world is featured, therefore he gives this game somewhat unfounded praise in his article. Unless the developers were dumb enough to make Daggerfall a copy of Skyrim, which would boggle my mind but it is not unexpected entirely from people who thought AvA and faction lock are just what people want in their ES experience, Daggerfall simply cannot and most of all should not feel "familiar" with an hour of playtime in Skyrim under your belt.
    First: I didn't write this article, Suzie did. Second: I took it to mean that the game itself felt like an Elder Scrolls title, even with her limited exposure to the series.  YMMV, and Suzie can comment further, but that's how I read it.

to that I say, anyone who has only played TES for an hour should not even be writing an article on it and telling us how familiar 'anything' is in comparison.

review all you want, but she should not try to convince a disgruntled fanbase that their worries are unfounded, which we all know was the point of those comments.

to be fair, she didn't compare it to skyrim, she compared it to ES games, which could have been any one of them.

was skyrim the only ES game she ever played just for an hour? maybe so.

i am 100% positive had this been a negative article, most of you guys wouldn't say a word about her limited time in skyrim, that is for sure.