Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help! I think I have a keylogger on my pc!

BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

Hello,

So last night I got an email on my yahoo account that someone was trying to reset my password. I did the natural thing and called up my most recent ex girlfriend and questioned her. After coming to the conclusion she was clean I blew it off. I also had some fishy activity on my ffxiv account as I had to change my password due to "suspicious activity" I checked my email this morning and I have a email from cryptic. Someone must have tried to hack my neverwinter account (lolmylevel18poorcleric). They put the IP in the email I received and I IP traced it to china. Yep... the big C.

I've never dealt with a keylogger before, and if I indeed have one, I'm not sure how to go about things. I've run Malware Bytes last night, but the trace came up clean. And as the attack on my cryptic account was at 5am, I'm pretty sure if I have something, it's still there.

What do I do? Should I wipe and reinstall windows? Is there something I can download/track? When I google this issue I find a ton of sties advertising products, but not solutions.

I did check my bank account, and have had no additional log in attempts there beside my own.

Thanks^

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Prob not a keylogger but someone has got your E-Mail address from some place or another.. maybe here who knows but they know you like MMORPGs so they randomly try and get into your accounts for different MMOs.. to check that you have an account they do a password recovery thingy.. if they don't get an error message back saying you don't have an account they will then try and hack into said account..

Just change your password on all your game accounts to something very complicated..

If it was a keylogger they would already have your password and would be happily logging into your game accounts.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Blazeyer

Hello,

So last night I got an email on my yahoo account that someone was trying to reset my password. I did the natural thing and called up my most recent ex girlfriend and questioned her. After coming to the conclusion she was clean I blew it off. I also had some fishy activity on my ffxiv account as I had to change my password due to "suspicious activity" I checked my email this morning and I have a email from cryptic. Someone must have tried to hack my neverwinter account (lolmylevel18poorcleric). They put the IP in the email I received and I IP traced it to china. Yep... the big C.

I've never dealt with a keylogger before, and if I indeed have one, I'm not sure how to go about things. I've run Malware Bytes last night, but the trace came up clean. And as the attack on my cryptic account was at 5am, I'm pretty sure if I have something, it's still there.

What do I do? Should I wipe and reinstall windows? Is there something I can download/track? When I google this issue I find a ton of sties advertising products, but not solutions.

I did check my bank account, and have had no additional log in attempts there beside my own.

Thanks^

If you had a keylogger, they could have just changed where your IP was coming from and been done with it. You probably got a phishing email and they have your account name and trying to guess your passwords.

Also, make sure the emails, from the game companies are real. Look at the header and source of the email. There are many phishing emails being sent now.

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    i dont think you have a virus someone just  trying crack your password how hard are they? something easy johnmoon86  or harder 1kLmy6@w would try another virus scanner if you want do something simple if not factory restore  will wipe everything also lastpass is very good program if you need better paswords

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Originally posted by botrytis

Hello,

Thanks^

If you had a keylogger, they could have just changed where your IP was coming from and been done with it. You probably got a phishing email and they have your account name and trying to guess your passwords.

Also, make sure the emails, from the game companies are real. Look at the header and source of the email. There are many phishing emails being sent now.

I would have guess it was a phishing email had it not been for the fact that before I even got these I had an email from yahoo explaining that my password was trying to be changed.

My passwords are pretty legit. I have to keep them written to remember them all. Numbers, upper/lowercase,symbols,long text strings. I know what to do there, it's just bothersome I suppose.

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

I would have guess it was a phishing email had it not been for the fact that before I even got these I had an email from yahoo explaining that my password was trying to be changed.

My passwords are pretty legit. I have to keep them written to remember them all. Numbers, upper/lowercase,symbols,long text strings. I know what to do there, it's just bothersome I suppose.

Create a new dedicated e-mail account for your games and switch all of your games to that e-mail, and never use it anywhere else.

Then you can tell if they really are legit if they keep on coming. (Also change password as you do that)

Keylogger's are usually easily found by antivirus programs, especially by malvarebytes since they are just hidden background programs. On some rare cases they might be run off java but even then malwarebytes would be able to find them. (Unless your pc is affected by a virus that cloaks all suspicious activity, but thats a super rare case and requires you to be an absolute idiot to happen) Its most obvious that you're just being targeted by phishing, don't use the links provided in the e-mails, but instead open your browser and type the game's address and go to account management through there.

After doing these steps you're safe again until you decide to use your gaming e-mail at some suspicious site or post it at open forums.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I have had accounts like this hacked before, it wasn't a keylogger.

I used to use the same email/password for nearly everything. Not a good idea, in retrospect.

They got several of my F2P accounts (none of which I actually cared about), my battle.net account, my Yahoo account, PSN account, several forum accounts, and a couple of other things. In the span of a couple of weeks.

It was a royal pain getting everything reset.

My email address is old, it was pretty familiar to spammers and such. I don't think I hit a phishing email; I think the password was picked up from a forum breach: either the big PSN hit or one of any number of random forum site leaks. It could also have just been brute force - it wasn't that complicated of a password.

Once it was discovered, these people basically just try the same email/password combo ~everywhere~ - games, forums, banks, it's scary. There's a black market where valid email addresses, and especially known passwords, are sold. They are worth real money.

Now I have a lot of various email addresses I use for different things. I have a password manager (a piece of paper with every account and password written on it next to my computer, not stored on the computer itself - it's high tech like that, and unhackable unless you decide to physically break into my house), and I use 2-part authentication where it's available.