Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A couple of threads to watch

itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

In the main forums. Looks like there's some explaining coming. People are starting to put together the numbers.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Changes-to-ecto-salvage-from-rares/2110272

And the info here...

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/T6-Dust-Crisis/2112762

Comments

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by itgrowls

In the main forums. Looks like there's some explaining coming. People are starting to put together the numbers.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Changes-to-ecto-salvage-from-rares/2110272

And the info here...

Another non issue post by someone that doesn't even play ....good find Sherlock

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I just salvaged a rare bow today and got 2 ectos...

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    I'll say it again.... maybe it's time for you to move on. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I've been playing this game seriously since Dec now. In fact, today, I dinged my 5th level 80. While I enjoy this game and feel it is currently the best MMO on the market, The OP's thread here is not a non issue. It only makes sense to nerf the ecto salvage rate. Ever since ANET implemented guesting, players have been farming events. That caused a flood of rares and thus ectos. Changes were made since then, but the number of rares being flooded into the market has made them worthless.  I have watched the value of ectos drop to about half what they were when I sold my 1st one. Currently it's not worth trying to salvage, I just sell my rares to the highest bidder on average it's about 13-15S for armor and 15-18S for weapons. So, If I am in Orr and someone in Gchat announces Satt is up, it's 3-4 S per WP. that puts my overall profit per event to around 15s. Honestly, I can do better farming the Grawls in the pass just South of Claw now. The only thing that has any real value is a precursor.

It's a fun game, but the economy is shit.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

So I finally got around to clearing out some of my inventory because I had crafting material stacks of 250 in the bank, 250 in collectibles, and some characters with up to 20 different crafting materials in their inventory where I just couldn't deposit anymore.

I made 50 gold, freed up a lot of inventory space. :D

Too many materials dropping. :(  Guess I picked a good time to sell.  Probably could have made more if I waited longer, but I don't need gold, I just wanted more bank tab space, since I already have nearly two tabs full of nothing but exotics.

I feel like I'd probably have more money if I bothered to actually... pay attention to the market and sell/buy things at appropriate times, but that sounds too much like work, and I have all the gold I could possibly ever need, really.

Too easy to make money just playing the game, don't see any point to sweating the small stuff.

Never bought OR sold any ectos.  Just earned them all I've ever needed and used from normal gameplay and salvaging.  Guess I would have a lot more if I didn't waste a few gold a week just mystic forging rares and turning them into different rares. :)  I suppose in that case I'd....be happy I could get more money for all the excess I'd have by now?!  That's nice.

Thanks for pointing out more opportunities to make money.  Too bad my mystic forge addiction probably lost me an additional 50 gold from salvaging ectos on top of whatever I spent just mystic forging in the first place.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by FlawSGI

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Originally posted by FlawSGI
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    @stevebombsquad

Thanks for that man people just don't realize the kind of betrayal one feels when these companies make grandeose promises and then not deliver. Just trying to keep people informed but spmetimes it's an uphill battle against the fans that can't see the light and the media that wishes to squelch anything negative about AAA title developers.
  • SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334
    @stevebombsquad

Thanks for that man people just don't realize the kind of betrayal one feels when these companies make grandeose promises and then not deliver. Just trying to keep people informed but spmetimes it's an uphill battle against the fans that can't see the light and the media that wishes to squelch anything negative about AAA title developers.

I agree with the grandeose promises, I just think its in the  players heads.  Sometimes it is easy to confuse what Dev's are saying with what we think that will turn out to be.  I have to be honest but I don't see where Anet fell short of any promises.  As a matter of fact I don't recall them ever promising anything.

It is a bit interesting that its the fans that are the ones that never see clearly.   For example, pointing to a thread about ecto salvage rates like it is a bad thing, if it's even true.   So if it's true, then why is it considered a bad thing?

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    @stevebombsquad

It's a two way street. While fans try to negate everything the nonfans come up with the nonfans only focus on bringing up negatives.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    @stevebombsquad

It's a game, they don't owe you anything so get over it.

[mod edit]  

Or maybe they have more important things to do with their time than complaining about a game they don't even play anymore.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

And the info here...

another guy who try and manipulate the prices :)

never got more than 1 ecto?

strange im getting 1-3 all the time

so he come to forum and qqing about his bad luck being a bug so the economy will colapse.....

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    [mod edit] 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• loki27loki27 Member Posts: 24

It's truly fascinating how easily conspiracy theories can be created and how often people see things that aren't there...

Yes, I'm fairly sure that it's not just a coincidence that many people report lower ecto salvage rates since the last update, but it certainly is not part of any overarching scheme, it isn't "betrayal" or breaking of "grandiose promises", there isn't any "explaining coming".

It's just a bug and it's being looked into. I'm sure you could write a book of speculations on the subject but there just isn't anything else to it...

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

@stevebombsquad

You shot yourself in your own foot by constantly flat out lying. :V

There's a difference between 'showing the light' and being so heavily biased that the untruths are extremely blatant.

Or maybe you can't see them yourself.

I don't think GW2 is a perfect game, but I've made money the old fashioned way.

Not by grinding, not by being super lucky, not by buying it with cash, not by playing the market.

Simply by playing at a lazily steady pace and never spending it.  I got rich basically by being the crazy lady who lives in a cardboard box and eats catfood. :V

It's a perfectly viable method.  Due to the jump in crafting material prices, all sorts of things are worth ridiculous amounts of money.  You could get rich just running around a map and gathering iron/gold.  There's not a jot of RNG involved in that.  It's just free money, all over the map.

Carrots are a silver a piece.  A SILVER A PIECE.  Anybody who can't make money is bad at games. :/

If you would settle for things like 'Hey, they change drop rates' and 'It's not as easy to make money as I'd like', you would have some believability, but you constantly go out for the full 'Nobody can make money nooooobody it's impossssssible oh noes' rant, and since I'm making money, that means I can't put any trust in you ._.

If you'd tone down your exaggeration, maybe I could take you seriously, but every post I see by you, I basically automatically shrug it off as 'Oh yeah, it's that really biased guy who exaggerates everything to the point where his opinion just makes me giggle'.

Originally posted by Kuppa
    @stevebombsquad

It's a two way street. While fans try to negate everything the nonfans come up with the nonfans only focus on bringing up negatives.

Not when you're a converted fan and you're pointing out the experience of the players. It's not just happening to me, it's being talked about in the official forums. The last time it was talked about this much (the drought when it comes to loot drops) they had a killcredit bug that literally didn't drop anything for the players even in dungeons. 

Guess how long it took them to admit that after they spent months in denial calling their players names like xfiles conspiracy theorists. It's one thing to be professional it's entirely another to just drop insults like that and never apologize and then do the same thing twice.

And no I think they should be called out on it as much as possible because it's a very bad company that does that to their players. It's sad when only two commenters on youtube have the courage enough to talk about the poor game design choices and the product not actually being what they claimed it would be prelaunch. Oh and 1 silver a pop for a item to sell, hardly Meow LOL last time I checked that price was last week when I was actually making the saffron chicken soup mix before quitting the game and it was 16 copper each which was the only reason I bought the carrots in the first place.

The whole point of the threads to watch about this issue isn't that there isn't a farm factor in the game, it's that pennies are provided for gold piece prices for things to spend the in game currency on. It's like being in a third world country when trying to survive in this game. Anyways, naysayers aside I'm still watching to see if they come to their senses.

• loki27loki27 Member Posts: 24

Oh and 1 silver a pop for a item to sell, hardly Meow LOL last time I checked that price was last week when I was actually making the saffron chicken soup mix before quitting the game and it was 16 copper each which was the only reason I bought the carrots in the first place.

I know it's beside the point, but look things up before you try to deny them: carrots cost over 90c since May 20, which was 10 days ago, while the last time they cost 16c was on April 8, which was 52 days ago...

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by loki27

Oh and 1 silver a pop for a item to sell, hardly Meow LOL last time I checked that price was last week when I was actually making the saffron chicken soup mix before quitting the game and it was 16 copper each which was the only reason I bought the carrots in the first place.

I know it's beside the point, but look things up before you try to deny them: carrots cost over 90c since May 20, which was 10 days ago, while the last time they cost 16c was on April 8, which was 52 days ago...

All I know is you don't know me, I've had to be a scrouge in that game because of how stupidly manipulated the TP has been this entire time. I would have never bought 250 carrots at 90s each And I stopped playing last week which was when I uninstalled the game after making these. This is a third party website most likely gathering the data much like Orrmaps does thru reports rather then addons and unless you can go back in time and take a screenie of the TP you're not going to prove me wrong on that. I've never spent that much on food items to make finished food especially in the large quantities I  made them in before I finally got frustrated with the drops.

And yeah It is beside the point. I've also noticed that there's a difference between what you sell an item at and what you buy and item at in the TP. It's been my experience with the TP that items I just sold will if searched for just after selling them, be completely different in price when you buy. It's by no means a standard auction house. Explain that one.

And yeah It is beside the point. I've also noticed that there's a difference between what you sell an item at and what you buy and item at in the TP. It's been my experience with the TP that items I just sold will if searched for just after selling them, be completely different in price when you buy. It's by no means a standard auction house. Explain that one.

There are two sets of prices.

There are the prices people are selling at.

... and there are the prices people are offering to buy at.

Sometimes they're separated by a copper.

Sometimes the two prices are separated by hundreds of gold.

You've just learned why the two numbers are different. :)  You're welcome, that was free.  (Honestly, you didn't know people could set buy prices? D: )

Also, a lot of crafting materials have spiked in price recently.  Dunno how long carrots have been 97 copper, but I sold them for that last night.

70 more gold when all my selling was done, and that wasn't 'emptying my bank', that was 'clearing the stuff I couldn't cram into collectibles anymore'.

It's a seller's market right now. 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    It's a game that you play for free, FREE! who cares if something costs 1 silver or 1 gazillion, it doesn't actually affect gameplay, all you do is what you allways do in these corcumstances - follow the profiteering trends don't feed them.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I've been playing this game seriously since Dec now. In fact, today, I dinged my 5th level 80. While I enjoy this game and feel it is currently the best MMO on the market, The OP's thread here is not a non issue. It only makes sense to nerf the ecto salvage rate. Ever since ANET implemented guesting, players have been farming events. That caused a flood of rares and thus ectos. Changes were made since then, but the number of rares being flooded into the market has made them worthless.  I have watched the value of ectos drop to about half what they were when I sold my 1st one. Currently it's not worth trying to salvage, I just sell my rares to the highest bidder on average it's about 13-15S for armor and 15-18S for weapons. So, If I am in Orr and someone in Gchat announces Satt is up, it's 3-4 S per WP. that puts my overall profit per event to around 15s. Honestly, I can do better farming the Grawls in the pass just South of Claw now. The only thing that has any real value is a precursor.

It's a fun game, but the economy is shit.

Agreed.  The funny part is, that they hired an "economist" for this game.

There is too much supply of certain items (low quality blues and greens, etc), which saturates the trading post, which in turn makes them useless and they end up becoming vendor trash.  Surprisingly though, certain crafting items are maintaining a balanced price.  Until they balance the supply though, the economy is always going to be crap.  The reason they need to control the supply is because all the servers are linked to the same Trading Post.

This discussion has been closed.