Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any word on lifetime subs? Would you get one?

fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
This game is probably the only game I would buy a lifetime membership for before its even released.  Has there been any news on it at all?  Would you buy a lifetime on it, knowing how well they did skyrim?

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I wouldn't get a lifetime sub for any mmo again after what happened with LoTRO going F2P. I won't get suckered into another lifetime sub again. I despise F2P and B2P games, since there's a chance of some games going from sub to F2P/B2P, no thanks.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I just don't see an advantage to a lifetime sub for me.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    No word yet. Not even sure it's going to be a sub game but that's most likely gonna be the case.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

This is at the top of my list of what Im looking forward to, but I'll never get a lifetime membership. Agree with what the poster said about Lord of the Rings, though that game was pretty good to me. I only played it though for about a year and stopped at end level.

Also, I think we need to see more gameplay from every day users. Until we do, I'm keeping my optimism in check because I feel a little let down by TOR which I still haven't gone beyond level 48 lol. It also was a solid game, but it really does feel a little too linear and single player and Id rather play Skyrim :-).

There Is Always Hope!

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
    I don't think I will buy one. There is a high chance this game will turn into F2P like many others.

gameplay > graphics

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by fistorm
    This game is probably the only game I would buy a lifetime membership for before its even released.  Has there been any news on it at all?  Would you buy a lifetime on it, knowing how well they did skyrim?

Erm, ESO team didn't develop Skyrim. But even if they did, I would never buy a lifetime subscription. It's a waste of money.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    A lifetime sub is like marrying a woman you've never seen or talked too. You've been shown pictures of what they want you to see and commit too.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Nope.

I bought a lifetime sub for TSW, even though I suspected the game would not appeal to the average gamer. But in the case of TSW, I liked the game so much that I felt like just rewarding Funcom for having the guts to try and do something different (and then doing it so well :)

But I have no feeling that ESO is going to be breaking any molds. Unless I play some open beta and get totally blown-away by the game play, I doubt that the game will be anything special. It may be polished and well executed, but currently it simply looks like a classic medieval themepark game.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I have never gotten a lifetime sub to any game.

Won't be changing my policy with this one.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Anthur

Erm, ESO team didn't develop Skyrim. But even if they did, I would never buy a lifetime subscription. It's a waste of money.

The ESO team have all the assets of skyrim at their disposal considering zenimax media own bethesda.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    I would consider it if I liked the game. I've only once bought a lifetime sub and I'm not sure how that will turn out yet (bought it for Camelot Unchained). If it's a fun game and the lifetime sub costs like a year or so worth of $$... then yes maybe.
  • asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

They didn't. The ones making TESO is ZOS, or Zenimax Online Studios. It is not the same devs as in Bethesda. And I should tell you that I wouldn't say that Skyrim was Bethesda's milestone in anything but sales. It's grindy and riddled with shallow, radiant quests that just keep you grinding forever. Although I guess that fits into the MMO genre.

EDIT: Apparently I was a bit too late with my post. Anyhow to the fellow claiming that ZOS has all the assets from Bethesda is a silly person. If that was the case they would create a new studio for this game. The Bethesda devs are working on other games. They have already announced that they are working on their next "Adventure", hence why they won't be putting out any more DLC for Skyrim.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    How about we wait for some actual game footage from players that's not taken down immediately, before we start throwing money at it?
  • VerenathVerenath Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Strictly speaking in regards to LoTRo - Having a lifetime sub is something I wish I would have purchased when it was offered.  Granted, I knew I'd be sticking with the game for at least a couple of years but with the lifetime, you're given Turbine points every month and you maintain access to all the quests, etc in each area that's not from an expansion.  I have to continue to sub to keep those quest packs.  I could buy them from the store but I maintain my sub just because I don't have a problem with it and acquire my monthly TP.  

-Verenath-

• AnchorixAnchorix Member UncommonPosts: 10

I have bought lifetime subs, if only for the ease of a one off payment, and the game is always open to me.

I would like to hear more about this game in general to be honest, seems very thin on the ground info wise apart from the usual cutscene movies and what I can glean from websites who have been lucky enough to play it a little.

I do wonder if it will even be subs based in the long term with so many going F2P so quickly.

Nowadays with MMO's being two a penny, hype surely plays a huge part in building fan interest, they cannot rely on us longtime ES players to be the core.......... or can they?.

Lurking in the shadows of MMORPG.com since 2004

Played M59, EQ, DAOC, Ultima....etc etc.. the list is almost endless

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Lifetime sub in a day and age where one mmo after another fall death after a few months ?
    No thanks :P

Better wait for the free to play annoucement these days ;)

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Anyone paying for lifetime, Beta Founders Packs or any other shady deals is a sucker. If recent history has not told them anything then they must be either ignorant or completely oblivious.

People need to get their act together and

1. Wait until the game is released.

2. Demand 3 day trials or buddy passes starting at release.

3. Stop paying for unfinished games!

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• VendacVendac Member Posts: 39

I would consider a lifetime sub providing it is available after the release of the game.  I need to play it for a bit before I consider that type of investment.  Since I quit DAOC, I have not played an MMO for more than a few months.

I would have bought a lifetime for Lotro but missed out on it, doh.  And definitely would have bought lifetimes for my DAOC accounts.

You cant fix stupid - Ron White

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Originally posted by taus01

Anyone paying for lifetime, Beta Founders Packs or any other shady deals is a sucker. If recent history has not told them anything then they must be either ignorant or completely oblivious.

People need to get their act together and

1. Wait until the game is released.

2. Demand 3 day trials or buddy passes starting at release.

3. Stop paying for unfinished games!

Says the guy who supports crowd-funding.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained