Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for first timer

AadienAadien Member UncommonPosts: 220

Im looking for a new MMO, and my question is, is it hard to get into if you never played before?

Whats an easy class to solo?

And whats a class that will find raiding and groups at end game?

Comments

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

I played the first 2 years of EQ2 from launch. I played recently again about last year sometime. You can get to max level within 2 weeks and less if you push it. The game is so damn easy and carebear friendly that it's not even in the same category it once was before all the dumbing down of the game. Right after launch the game had great fun and gameplay. Now the game is a joke. My brother had a raid geared paladin I played last year and he had best gear, was able to solo tier 4 epic raid dungeon level 80's with ease.

EQ2 is for fast leveling and don't waste your money on the marketplace, they suck you in. But you can get by without it mostly. Get the needed upgrades though if you are that type player who needs extra bags etc. I for one hate EQ2 for what they done to it. The game is beyond solo friendly. Pick any class that has decent DPS and you will solo it easily. You want best of both worlds go Paladin, you want straight DPS go rogue type or wizard.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Both the original Everquest and Everquest 2 are incredibly easy to get into.  There's more content than you could possibly get through in a month, but there are many resources and tutorials to help you along the way.  As for solo classes, just about anything that isn't pure melee should do just fine.  The pet classes are always a good choice.  Also, I'd just go with whatever role you prefer to play for end game content.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Every class can solo, so pick whatever you like as this game is very easy.  Level in the newest newbie zone, which I think is Halas, as that will have the best loot.  Just follow the progression.  Don't bother locking your level and don't worry about upgrading any spells/abilities as you level and don't worry about loot.  Just plow to level 85 or 90 and do the beginner Velious quests and get your flying mount, then just mentor down (lower your level via NPC) and level your AA abilities.

Quests, rare mobs, looting stuff all will give you AA experience.  That is the thing that you will need if you are going to group.  Harvest the highest tiers for rare materials for your spells/abilities and then use the in-game research NPC to upgrade the important stuff to Master level (or if you happen to loot or find some on the Auction House).  You will need to get all of the AA points, then you will not be a burden to whatever instance groups/raids you are trying to do.

I would not pick a fighter class as those are heavy gear dependent.  Any healer class will get you groups but if you are REALLY looking for invites pick one of the bard classes.  Troubadors get put in the mage group while the Dirges get put in the fighter groups.  Both classes are probably the most difficult to level up, so keep that in mind, but every group or raid will want either.

If you can, look for an ACTIVE guild.  Lots of guilds say they are active and raid, but few actually do.  This is a very old game and people will have multiple characters all with end game loot, so keep that in mind.

• AadienAadien Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Ive always love bards, im hoping to raid though.. so we shall see
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Aadien

Im looking for a new MMO, and my question is, is it hard to get into if you never played before?

Whats an easy class to solo?

And whats a class that will find raiding and groups at end game?

At this point, any class in the game is easy to solo with. Especially if you pick up AoD and get mercenaries.

For raiding, the most desirable classes are bards, enchanters and healers. These are always in demand. 

Healers are obviously much more complex than the support classes, and you will quickly get booted if you cant cure on time (including rotating curse cures). Most healing for raids in EQ2 requires split second reflexes and watching enemy cast bars like a hawk. So in short, I wouldnt recommend a healer as a newbie.

As for the support classes, Dirges and Illusionists are the better choices, as they are more universal in appeal. Coercers are mostly preferred by main tank groups, so you only need one in a raid (compared to 3 Illusionists) and Troubadors are very mage centric, so any group with melee DPS or tanks will not be keen to have one. In dungeons people prefer Illusionists and Dirges as the support roles.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Aadien
    Ive always love bards, im hoping to raid though.. so we shall see

Keep in mind EQ2 Bards are nothing like EQ1 bards.

But either bard will get groups and have a spot in raids, Dirge being more popular and better solo.

My advice is dont rush to the endgame and look up Heritage Quests.  they will take you around to see Norrath.  Set your exp to 30-50% towards level and rest towards AA and enjoy the world.

So im going to try Illusionist first, because it seems very new to me

What is top dps atm?

And i loved my pally in WoW cause i could go to old world content and raid and solo all of that, which toon can do that?