Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So other than balance and bugs, what can this game do to improve and bring back large player base

2»

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Excluding bugs and balance issues,

how can the game be radically improved to be more fun and bring back a large number of the players who quit already?

Make it less boring...

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

You mean beside actually become a casual game? As a filthy casual myself I have to laugh at all the so called hardcore players that insist while nodding their heads wildly that this is a casual game, it ceased being casual in nov of last year.

The content is lackluster and it speaks volumes about how they really feel about the very people they attracted to the game with promises of casual gameplay in their prelaunch interviews (we've pretty much all left now). Need proof? Just look at the lazy animation they took from the mining pick from the store and used it on the new Sickle, when have you ever seen someone chip away at food to get it to dislodge from the ground IRL?

In order to restore the game there's alot of things they'll need to fix:

~ rewards system is terrible, nerfing loot for any purpose is never a good idea in any title no matter the type of RMT system you use, even Blizz learned that from D3. People don't want something for nothing, we want to be rewarded for our time spent in the game doing the activities that are available and having code that limits your rare find to 1 rare a boss a day and nothing else isn't going to cut it. Also, the ability to receive loot from mobs in events (those that just popup for events only) should never put anyone into DR, that's ridiculous, the entire three zone area in Orr has DR and ALL of the mobs are Risen, that means you walk into the place and get DR like 2 minutes in after killing just 8 enemies. This is also killing the ability of people who do actually want legendaries to get them.

If they don't like farming improve the rewards for discovery for finishing jumping puzzles, for map completion etc.

~ T6 mats and horrible crafting. Post launch and after building your gear there's absolutely no use for crafting of any kind after that. Everything new since has been mystic forge. One of the biggest insults to the crafting community is that any joe who can throw some crap into the forge will be able to make the things they need. It's severely affected the economy. T6 mats the highest mats in the game for crafting aren't available anywhere. Honeslty it's like trying to find water in the desert. You try to farm for them, they nerf the farm spots. You try to use the boxes they added to their two other currency systems karma/laurels and those boxes don't drop anything hardly especially not the most rare of them all. If it's a T6 it needs to have the same chance of dropping. NO more of this DR nonsense or this RNG as a solution for RNG nonsense they seriously need a better system of getting these things. That would improve it alone for the crafters if they took out all of the gear from the mystic forge and allowed us the ability to buy a certain number of the mats we need from vendors because according to the lore farmers/gatherers/other adventurers do exist as NPCs and you can't tell me they wouldn't have those things to sell.

~ Do what their sister game is doing (wildstar), include two other paths. We already have soldier and explorer why not improve crafting in a settler sort of way, and include a sort of loremaster in a scientist sort of way.

~ refit dungeons with difficulty levels, add a LFG, make solo/duo dungeons. Put into the game a means to earn gems daily.

~ Every other F2P game that I've played (not freemium actually F2P) has had a means to gather the currency for the store with no hitches and they make plenty of profit. (in those games I mean the ones that don't limit content with a DLC) the unlimited F2P games always get great profit and last for years, GW2 should not be different and that's one of their problems.

~ put into the game the ability to gain a superior rune with karma, the single biggest cost in the TP right now is that. There are runes right now that cost 12 gold each. Yeah it's that crazy. If we're to believe that gold isn't necessary to gear alts or for new players to gear, make it happen, let karma vendors sell what players need to gear in all exotics with no gold involved.

~ Add permanent DE's and Permanent metas to the world monthly allthroughout the mid levels of the  game (the emptiest part of the game) that give unique rewards no more RNG for the rewards for completion of these things. RNG died with the 2004 mmo model of subscription only games.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Its simple, some type of consistent endgame character progression (through alternate advancement, call of duty type "perks", etc etc, anything). The Unreal Tournament style endgame got stale for many players.
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by zasten
    banning me for foul language would not be the best way to achieve this goal!

The less rude people who can't control themself when typing text on a computer keyboard, the better the community.

Good riddance.

My computer is better than yours.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Something that will never happen, because no developer will admit such a failure in design. Completely discarding all combat skills and replace it with interesting, fun skills with more focus on roles. After that introduce some consequence, improve dynamic events to be .. actually dynamic, tone down the pvp focus aka make better pve group mechanics.

The world is awesome, it just needs better gameplay to support it.

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I know this might sound silly, but more armor. No more copies, I mean like new designs to armor sets.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Make spvp more like gw1
    Open up dual classing at max level (gw1 style)
    Make WvW less gamey and more like daoc / planetside.

I don't think they need to mess with pve though by introducing wow style test grind and tiered raid progression. That would loose them a lot of players. There's a ton of people playing gw2 pve, precisely because its not wow pve.

They could add some new pve though, something like city of heroes style invasions of cities would be good.

Another idea, have very rare mobs and bosses spawn in the world, killing these gets you a playing card. You can use these cards in a card battle game against other players in city taverns.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Oh get rid of downed state in WvW too.
  • clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Try to bring back some of the flexibility of building your chr like GW1 has. Multi-classing was a great idea, although probably a nightmare and a 1/2 to balance. Imo even though i never participated in GvG they should have had that in GW2 at release. Bring in the mini games they said would be in at start like polymock. Quit F'ing around with drop rate's, remember the patch they did mainly to fix the dye drop rate? These are just a few of the thing's i can think of.
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Warning: imminent invasion of totally unkillable "god mode" Warrior/Guardian specced characters.

God, I'm glad the developers will never apply some of the "ideas" posted here ;)

Note that I otherwise agree with you, Shaky.

My computer is better than yours.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Make spvp more like gw1
    Make WvW less gamey and more like daoc / planetside.

I don't think they need to mess with pve though by introducing wow style test grind and tiered raid progression. That would loose them a lot of players. There's a ton of people playing gw2 pve, precisely because its not wow pve.

They could add some new pve though, something like city of heroes style invasions of cities would be good.

Another idea, have very rare mobs and bosses spawn in the world, killing these gets you a playing card. You can use these cards in a card battle game against other players in city taverns.

For every person they would lose by adding tier'd raiding, they have prob lost 3 due to 0 endgame character progression.

I am not implying that they add raids or gear carrot, but they do need to add something to keep PvE interesting, otherwise PvE is just Unreal Tournament with bots enabled. There is only so many times someone will do a dungeon with no character progression reward.

Again, do not turn this into me saying they need to copy wow's raid/gear progression, they don't..but they do need to add something similer to diablo 3's paragon leveling, or AoC's alternate advancement, or CoD's "perks"..there are 100 diff things they can do without turning it into a gear treadmill. ANet is a smart company, im sure they can come up with something non wow.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Excluding bugs and balance issues,

how can the game be radically improved to be more fun and bring back a large number of the players who quit already?

Did you read something recently (anecdotes and forum trolls aside) that said a large number of players left GW2?

Haha, that's where i stopped reading his post.  There isn't any specific data that proves a large number of players left GW2, although it's generally accepted that populations die down after an MMO launch, and it's to be expected.

The game is still populated, yet people who don't play anymore think the game is empty because they are not playing it themselves.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I think they are doing a good job at starting to bring back more focus to pvp. Both wvw and spvp. This is their main endgame.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Probably depends on what you're looking for out of the game, but it all comes down to one thing: content.  Whether it's more PvE stuff or variance in PvP, you have to add more content to keep people playing.  Being that the game is B2P, they don't HAVE to have people constantly playing, but that money that was earned on the initial purchases will dry up eventually and they'll have to make some moves to bring in more money so they don't operate at a loss.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I find it ironic that people are badgering you on this point. If this were a game called my little ponies or hello kitty online I could see there being a problem but filters were placed in these games for a reason, I suspected those badgering you are the first people to rise up about some right they have including freedom of choice about anything yet when it comes to games and the online environment think nothing of it when your choice is taken away.

Don't want your kids to hear dirty words, keep them from logging in. Simple.

As to the balance of bugs. Today in the engineering forums they talked about how little the devs seem to understand about just what exactly is wrong and how they don't prioritize the bug list. Traits like Scope are still broken for engineers yet they took the time out of their day to break yet another aspect of mines for everyone (especially for PVE players like me, seems PVE is always the one hit) by making anything reset the cooldown of mines no matter what steps on it despite their patch note claims.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/engineer/Engineer-Patch-Notes-5-28-2013/2105785

the list of things they fixed bypassing some of the most problematic ever for this class for months now.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/engineer/Minefield-Broken/2107177

The newest bug for PVE that broke mines is listed here and how it's broken. Gotta say I agree with some who have replied to these threads. I don't see them actually taking engineers seriously anytime soon. Some suggested 9 months to come back and check things out.

So OP my thing is this. Are they really balancing? I'm not seeing it really.

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by itgrowls

I find it ironic that people are badgering you on this point. If this were a game called my little ponies or hello kitty online I could see there being a problem but filters were placed in these games for a reason, I suspected those badgering you are the first people to rise up about some right they have including freedom of choice about anything yet when it comes to games and the online environment think nothing of it when your choice is taken away.

Don't want your kids to hear dirty words, keep them from logging in. Simple.

As to the balance of bugs. Today in the engineering forums they talked about how little the devs seem to understand about just what exactly is wrong and how they don't prioritize the bug list. Traits like Scope are still broken for engineers yet they took the time out of their day to break yet another aspect of mines for everyone (especially for PVE players like me, seems PVE is always the one hit) by making anything reset the cooldown of mines no matter what steps on it despite their patch note claims.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/engineer/Engineer-Patch-Notes-5-28-2013/2105785

the list of things they fixed bypassing some of the most problematic ever for this class for months now.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/engineer/Minefield-Broken/2107177

The newest bug for PVE that broke mines is listed here and how it's broken. Gotta say I agree with some who have replied to these threads. I don't see them actually taking engineers seriously anytime soon. Some suggested 9 months to come back and check things out.

So OP my thing is this. Are they really balancing? I'm not seeing it really.

Damn are your replys long and redundant, you could summarise all that in a few sentences. Try to write a little less next time my friend.

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"