Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP in FFXIV

PrograssivePrograssive Member Posts: 48
I read a lot about this game but I couldnt find anything about PvP,battlegrounds,arenas etc ?

www.archeagetr.com

www.archeageonlinetr.com

Comments

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Don't quote me but I have heard there will be no PvP on release but later on there will be. Apparently the guy in charge was a big deal in DoTa PvP.
  • Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    The PvP will not be open world PvP . The PvP will be area single or duel or triple PvP . People will be able to watch the action from above the "pit" . There will also be Grand Company PvP . Where in areas on the map Grand Companies will face off for dominance . There was mention that on lookers during this type of PvP would need to stay clear or they may take damage from watching to close .

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

I would write the PvP off in this game.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I heard that summoners will be able to summon primals like Odin in grand company pvp...not sure tho
  • tats27tats27 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Ballista was a lot of fun in FFXI as a little distraction from to time. I expect the pvp in FFXIV will be similar: fun, but nothing that would occupy the vast majority of your time.
  • duuude007duuude007 Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by tkreep
    I heard that summoners will be able to summon primals like Odin in grand company pvp...not sure tho

Odin is an elder primal. Like Bahamut and Mog King, I doubt it will ever be controllable.

As for the lesser primals, they can eventually be defeated while roaming outdoors, and after certain conditions are met, a free company can summon it for a one-shot decimating punch of a true primal. Once you use the primal, it is set free for another FC to capture.

Summoners, by contrast, will get their own elemental pets that use the "essences" of the primals.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by angerbeaver
    Don't quote me but I have heard there will be no PvP on release but later on there will be. Apparently the guy in charge was a big deal in DoTa PvP.

Wow this thread is really lacking in accurate information.

First of all Arena at least so far has been announced for small groups (4v4), not dueling or triple(?).

Arena will definitely be included at launch.  It will actualy be in the game as of Open Beta.  All of this is available on the roadmap for beta found here:

http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/download/en/FFXIV_2.0_BETA_Roadmap_EN.pdf

Here is how the PvP system in FFXIV will work:

• Players gain PvP specific actions (meant to keep PvP skills and PvE skills seperate for balance).  These are earned only through participation in PvP.
    • PvP and PvE gear is seperated
    • There has been no announcement of a dueling system.
    • Matches in the Arena are paired by a matching system.
    • The Arena will include obstacles like stairs/pillars/etc. which can be used by players for their advantage.
    • PvP potions and items usable only in PvP will also be available (possibly purchased with some kind of PvP currency)
    • Frontline PvP (some kind of event PvP) is planned, but will not be in for launch
    • There are no factions, however certain PvP systems may be tied to your Grand Company (from which you can change your alliance) or your Free Company's (guild) aligned Grand Company (which doesn't have to be the same as yours).

All of this information can be found in the last two live letters, which you can find on youtube.

Also Yoshida was a self described "hardcore player" of DAoC as in Dark Age of Camelot not DoTA.  As for whether or not it is an afterthought will have to be seen.

On the one hand Yoshida has been clear that PvP is new for FF games and is new for the majority of their fanbase. 

However he did bring on board people with PvP design experience, and is obviously passionate about it himself so it definitely will be more of a focus than in FFXI.

But it won't be FFA full loot using only real skill and custom skins you can spend all your money on so it is crap carebear PvP and not worth looking at unless that happens to be your thing.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Originally posted by Murugan

So I got the acronym to a game I don't play wrong and I say do not quote me. It may be inaccurate but I say that at the very beginning of my post.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Murugan

So I got the acronym to a game I don't play wrong and I say do not quote me. It may be inaccurate but I say that at the very beginning of my post.

I meant no offense, just clarifying in case anyone thought what you posted was actually the case.

• redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220

Also, you are apparently able to level up off of PvP from about level 30. I don't remember which Live Letter that was from. 

Supposedly.