Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How To: Unlock Klingons in Star Trek Online (A Mini-Guide)

KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

There are two options for unlocking the ability to create a KDF aligned Klingon Character within Star Trek Online:

(1) Advance your Federation character to Liuetenant Grade 6 (Level 6), at which point the option for Klingon play will unlock.

or

(2) Run missions with your Federation character until you are able to do the mission "Stop the Signal", which also unlocks Klingon play when completed. This method is available as early as Liuetenant Grade 4 (Level 4) if you follow this guide, and is the fastest known method for unlocking the option to create a Klingon character.

Option 2 sounds intriguing doesn't it? What is the quickest way to achieve this, you ask?

Here is a run-down of the missions that lead to "Stop the Signal", including an estimate of the time required to complete each mission (solo play):

Tutorial - 15 minutes

SS Azura - 15 minutes

Diplomatic Mission - 20 minutes

Hide and Seek - 30 minutes

SB 24 Fleet Action - 10 minutes

SB 24 Ground Mission - 25 minutes

Stop the Signal - 20 minutes (This mission unlocks Klingons when you finish it, sometimes requires a relog to take effect, or if you have unspent skill points you need to spend them and then the faction will unlock for play).

It requires approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes of time to achieve this goal. I have noticed alot of posters seem unaware that you are able to unlock using the method described above, and seem to think you are forced to wait until reaching L6, which is not the case. If you want to unlock the Klingons as fast as possible, this is the easiest and quickest method available.

Hopefully this helps some of the newer players and anyone in general who was unaware of this method for unlocking :)

Comments

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

I'm sure Cryptic will add a quick work-around, you know, ''pay an extra $5 and you won't need to do all 6 federation levels!''

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

The time it takes to unlock the factions in most P2P MMOs? Zero seconds.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Come on now. There are plenty of threads talking about the merits of, or lack of, this game. No need to debate it on someone's mini-guide, as they call it. They're just trying to be helpful to those who are playing it. I would appreciate something like this if I had started the game.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• DovenDoven Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by Kost

Hopefully this helps some of the newer players and anyone in general who was unaware of this method for unlocking :)

it's well considerate that you find the time and motivation to help your community out m8.  I am sure your discovery and guide will help someone in the long run.

Lot of tension goin on atm with STO..  Don't take it personal :)  It's good your having fun and trying to help others.

done

d

"He who reigns within himself and rules his passions, desires, and fears is more than a king."

"Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much argruing, much writting, many opinions; for opinions in good men is but knowledge in the making."

John Milton 1608-1674

• DovenDoven Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

The time it takes to unlock the factions in most P2P MMOs? Zero seconds.

I have to admit, I did get a laugh out of this.. lol.

d

"He who reigns within himself and rules his passions, desires, and fears is more than a king."

"Where there is much desire to learn, there of necessity will be much argruing, much writting, many opinions; for opinions in good men is but knowledge in the making."

John Milton 1608-1674

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

True but this is a mechanic used in even some single player games. The point is you don't have to pay extra for it, which is a good thing.

Is that the point we have reached? That a company gets credit for having anything in-game that you don't have to pay extra for?

Five years from now, will we be praising a new MMO which doesn't charge for bug fixes?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Nesrie

Come on now. There are plenty of threads talking about the merits of, or lack of, this game. No need to debate it on someone's mini-guide, as they call it. They're just trying to be helpful to those who are playing it. I would appreciate something like this if I had started the game.

Indeed.

It would be greatly appreciated if those of you who want to hold a discussion regarding your dislike of STO, or any particular element of the game as a whole, would be so kind to create your own thread and discuss your issues from there.

It is obvious that this guide is intended as a community reference for interested players, and I would like to be able to respond to any legitimate questions related to the guide from interested readers/users without having to wade through a pile of sarcastic, negative commentary.

Please use one of the available threads for game discussion, or create your own. Thank you.

***Questions/Comments related to the guide itself are certainly always welcomed, and I will try to answer asap***

• ULBlue13ULBlue13 Member UncommonPosts: 28

I realise this is a dead thread, but it's still stickied, so there.

A) does the "Stop the Signal" method still work now that they've raised the standard limit to level twenty-flipping-five? 

B) their explanation for raising the limit was that the Klingon faction was underdeveloped.  So they restrict entry to it further.  ?

If you write, be polite.
  • ULBlue13ULBlue13 Member UncommonPosts: 28

Nope, tried it and it no longer works.  (Unless not having done the Fleet Actions made a difference?  But I got the "Stop the Signal" mission all right without anything being said about them.)  Pity, but what I really had in mind was an ex-Borg Klingon anyway, and I see I can't have one without a subscription.

If you write, be polite.
  • redcrestredcrest Member Posts: 8

With the roll out of Legacy of Romulus, this topic no longer applies.  Klingons can now be created from level 1, with no special conditions for unlocking them.

Remans, however, do require special unlocking conditions.  Otherwise, if you wish to play the Romulan faction, you'll be limited to Romulans or custom aliens.