Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dust 514 reviews. Has the CCP turkey finally landed?

2»

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by eric1000
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by eric1000
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    This game Will take off when PS4 launches, because thats when most of the real EVE players will be getting it.  Right now I'm not going to buy PS3 just for it, but PS4 I will definitly.  

Will it even run on a PS4?  I think I read the new Microsoft XBOX isn't backward compatible with it's older games, any idea if that will be true with the playstation?

PS4 will be backward compatible, which is just another way that MS have shot themselves in the foot with the XBox One.

Sony have already said that the PS4 does not support PS3 games, so not sure where you have got that information from.

As part of Sony's PS4 announcement conference today, the company detailed how on-demand game streaming will work with the new console. That technology is also informing how backward compatibilty will function on the PS4.

The bad news is that PS3 games will not be natively supported on the PS4. However, through the magic of Gaikai, Sony is working on getting every PlayStation game--be it PSOne, PlayStation 2, or PlayStation 3--to be playable on the PlayStation 4.

Don't look for that functionality day one, however. Perry said that while the cloud streaming of legacy PlayStation games has been greenlit, the functionality is to be rolled out in phases.

source  http://www.gamesradar.com/ps4-backward-compatibility-explained/

So no native support ( which doesn't mean that they will definately will not run btw ) but rolled out in stages across all previous PS models.

Backwards compatibility =/= buying old you games you had again so you can play them. Its one of the huge issues Sony had negative about them, since basically it was the Wii virutal console, just without having direct backwards compatability for the last console (like Wii could play Gamecube, except PS4 won't directly take PS3 disks). So sure, if you call paying to play games you already own as backwards compatible, but anyone could do that.

ON the topic; Dust 514 as far as I seen offers nothing really spectacular for a shooter to make it worth buying on its own. The only thing that really seems to make it stand out is how it links up to eve, otherwise its just 'meh'. Add in its on PS3 only, no PC release (Yes I know all about how easy it is to get aim hacks, doesn't change the fact there are people like me who don't really like playing that many games on consoles, and considering eve players would be the main target and the game is on PC only, it makes this a bigger issue) it does give it more of an uphill battle. Really though, I'd say if you can try it, give it a shot. Perhaps its good for you, or maybe its even worst then what reviews call it. Its one of those things personally I wouldn't really invest in blindly particulrly since I really have no interest in eve.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    The choice in PS3 was questioned from the start as it is at odds with the EVE platform of PC only. People, why didn't CCP make a console port of EVE? Why not a PC version of Dust at launch.

Actually, you're about the only one that's been asking it over and over. Everyone else knows why.

http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/forums.cfm/forum/1250/profile.cfm/username/forums.cfm?ismb=1&threadId=320945
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5198572#5198572
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5207811#5207811
    http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/news.cfm?read=26634&ismb=1

Evidently, you do, too, but I don't think that's going to change anything.

Those are some links with answers to the question for you.

He's not even close to the only one who's asked for dust 430 on PC. 

See- Every discussion within EVE about Dust 823, ever. 

OP, it's CCP. They're not finished. They will never be finished. Hopefully the start with ironing out all the kinks before they move on to the add crazy shit to the game phase but well, its CCP so we'll just have to see if that happens.  

I think the big problem they may run into after they've put a lot more work in is visibility. I was actually surprised that there are reviews of Dust 554 up at all.  This site updated the Dust 312 link to launched when it happened and then... silence.  The Escapist hasn't even mentioned that beta is over and it's launched. The only thing i've seen prior to that destructoid review was a quick look on GiantBomb where dude said the graphics were muchly improved in the launch patch and then spent a lot of time in menus because CCP.  This has struck me as weird because Dust R2D2 got a lot of coverage on these sites as well as others during development and beta. Anyways, CCP will continue putting resources in the game and hopefully there's enough of a fanbase who likes depth and shooters to be self sustaining until CCP adds monocles for $150 and the game gets covered again.

Originally posted by Purutzil

ON the topic; Dust 514 as far as I seen offers nothing really spectacular for a shooter to make it worth buying on its own. 

It's F2P. I still don't understand why the left PC out, makes little sense to me either.

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by Precusor

If they made DUST as a continuation of EVE and have actual planetary/station landings then DUST would be amazing.

DUST in its current form really has no point for port.

I feel the same way,  from the moment I first logged into EVE waaaaaay back in the beta, I was pissed that I couldn't :  A. Fly my spaceship (instead of just pointing and clicking at stuff) and B. Land on planets so I could run around and cause mayhem.  If EVE had those two things it would be an amazing game.  It's still good mind you.  But a lobby shooter that I'll never play doesn't do much for me.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Danwarr
    I think the biggest thing DUST has against it currently is the fact that it is a shooter on a Playstation system. The Playstation controller is just not the best controller for FPS games.

Every Dust thread has someone saying that there is native support for keyboard and mouse. Did you somehow miss every single one.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    It makes absolutely no sense that this is a ps3 exclusive when CCP's loyal fanbase are PC gamers.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    It makes absolutely no sense that this is a ps3 exclusive when CCP's loyal fanbase are PC gamers.

Why would you want to make a f2p game targeting your loyal p2p customers?

That would seem overly stupid to me.

"We would like you to keep playing in the same universe, just not having to pay us!"

Fail...

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Precusor
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

I give 2 years before this game flops.

If they made it on PC I would have loved, as I love the EvE universe but cant be bothered to play a space simulator again.

If they made DUST as a continuation of EVE and have actual planetary/station landings then DUST would be amazing.

DUST in its current form really has no point for port.

This.

I think CCP had the opportunity to make the most amazing MMO ever - a true WoW-beater in terms of fame and number of players. But they channelled their resourses and money into the PS3 and WoD and messed it up.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by hfztt

"We would like you to keep playing in the same universe, just not having to pay us!"

Fail...

Not really.

Tie-ins might get more people interested in EVE itself, since if it was on PC, playing DUST only would be akin to only playing half the game as you will be the bitch of the EVE players (they are the one who can make the contracts to hire you and such).

It is a smart marketing move. Kinda like Defiance and the TV show tie-ins.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    The choice in PS3 was questioned from the start as it is at odds with the EVE platform of PC only. People, why didn't CCP make a console port of EVE? Why not a PC version of Dust at launch.

Actually, you're about the only one that's been asking it over and over. Everyone else knows why.

http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/forums.cfm/forum/1250/profile.cfm/username/forums.cfm?ismb=1&threadId=320945
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5198572#5198572
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5207811#5207811
    http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/news.cfm?read=26634&ismb=1

Evidently, you do, too, but I don't think that's going to change anything.

Those are some links with answers to the question for you.

He's not even close to the only one who's asked for dust 430 on PC. 

See- Every discussion within EVE about Dust 823, ever. 

I didn't claim he was the only one that ever asked that. I stated he was the only one that asks over and over. Everyone else seems able to remember the answer they're given. ;)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I don't really care, I am just glad the damn thing is out so CCP can get back to focusing on World of Darkness.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    Originally posted by Danwarr
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    This game Will take off when PS4 launches, because thats when most of the real EVE players will be getting it.  Right now I'm not going to buy PS3 just for it, but PS4 I will definitly.  

Maybe, maybe not.

I think the biggest thing DUST has against it currently is the fact that it is a shooter on a Playstation system. The Playstation controller is just not the best controller for FPS games.

Also, Bungie's new project Destiny is coming out on Xbox One. I'm sure that will draw in lots of potential DUST players.

SHouldn't do it. Since it's 2 different platforms. Those that get PS4 will get Dust if they want a FPS, and those that buy Xbox will get Destiny. I don't think any1 will choose a consol for a game. I'm a PS-man myself so will go PS4 either way. Also Xbox One didn't impress me at all.

Destiny will be on Xbox One and PS4 so theres nothing to worry about if you get a PS4

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

The best way to explain my thoughts on Dust is to put it this way:  It's Call of Duty: Space.  Alot of the textures and models are bleh if you ask me.  The FPS market is bloated anyways, and very few are actually any good.  In the last 5 years there's been two that I can remember playing and not thinking to myself, "Wow this sucks" and that's Borderlands 1/2 and Battlefield 3.  I think the problem alot of people have with Dust is they were expecting a war game, not a small group game.  One of the great aspects of Battlefield 3 is the 64 man super battles.  This is what I think alot of people were expecting when Dust was first announced, not what it is now.

Originally posted by Gravarg

The best way to explain my thoughts on Dust is to put it this way:  It's Call of Duty: Space.  Alot of the textures and models are bleh if you ask me.  The FPS market is bloated anyways, and very few are actually any good.  In the last 5 years there's been two that I can remember playing and not thinking to myself, "Wow this sucks" and that's Borderlands 1/2 and Battlefield 3.  I think the problem alot of people have with Dust is they were expecting a war game, not a small group game.  One of the great aspects of Battlefield 3 is the 64 man super battles.  This is what I think alot of people were expecting when Dust was first announced, not what it is now.

I play Eve and I have been playing a bit of DUST. What strikes me is the disconnect between the 2 games. They don't seem joined together at all.

I was hoping to support my alliance in space in Eve, and help on the planets in DUST. In theory, this sounds great, but in reality it doesn't seem to be happening.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Dust if anything would be a big succes if they released it on PC also.
    Why they dint do this fromt he get go is a mystery to me.

Also PS4 is around the corner, Xbox one does seem to lose the battle before the console war even begins.
    So PS4 might surpas Sony's wildest dreams.

But i wont buy a console to play games anymore, so PC gaming or gtfo.
    hard words, but many people dont own a console when they have a monster pc at home.
    Its just waiste of time from CCP to make it console only.

But hey who are we to say such things when they have brain storming marketeers and developers :P ?

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Fail...

Not really.

Tie-ins might get more people interested in EVE itself, since if it was on PC, playing DUST only would be akin to only playing half the game as you will be the bitch of the EVE players (they are the one who can make the contracts to hire you and such).

Would be true if they targeted teh same segments.

But DUST is for people with ADHD and EVE is for people with OCD...

(Ok, that was a bit mean, but they taget very different types of players.)

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283
    In my limited time playing the game, I think Dust is pretty sweet. image
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Wizardry

What i have seen from CCP over this many years has been nothing short of inferior work,so i wouldn't even consider playing DUST.

CCP is darn lucky they got in first with the Eve idea and have virtually no competition and an overly acceptable fan base.I know i am decently lenient but i would have given up on CCP after one full year.

Nice gimmick though to tie DUST into Eve,that way they lure in their faithful and continue to enforce the RMT ISK market.You see the FPS market actually has a lot of competition but what those games lack is being tied into the Eve universe.So this nice little gimmick again gives them no competition,reason to hit their fan base up for more money and reason to make more money selling a game that should be nothing more than an Eve xpac.

You see if Dust was PC,they would have no excuse,so it would have to be an xpac but then it would also show why Eve itself is so bad and needs an engine upgrade and an overhaul.So CCP made sure to keep them on separate platforms and not alienate Eve or compete with it either.

Originally posted by Wizardry.

CCP is darn lucky they got in first with the Eve idea and have virtually no competition and an overly acceptable fan base.I know i am decently lenient but i would have given up on CCP after one full year.

Actually they where beaten to the market by Earth & Beyond, a game with the backing of them at the time, giant WestWood Studios. They beat them in a fair fight.

There have been more trying to take a shot but none have succeded.

The EvE player base is NOT a forgiving bunch. When they say "If You Dont Kill of the MT Plans, we will leave" they actually leave! The core of the EVE players are a resonable bunch though. So when CCP corrects their ways, they put the pitchforks away and get on with the game.

• firebyrd94firebyrd94 Member Posts: 2
    As an Eve-online player for 9 yrs, i remember the early days and reviews of Eve as being average- below average, yet it's still here and thriving, Eve has evolved,  and they have  stuck to it's main core as a sandbox....everything you do in eve has a consequince..... Imo CCP will do the same with dust, it will grow and evolve over the next few years, and will effect the way the Eve universe evolves in the future...I play both and enjoy both, I am 1 who purposely spent $300 just to play the Dust game, and i have drawn my son into playing Dust
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Fail...

Not really.

Would be true if they targeted teh same segments.

But DUST is for people with ADHD and EVE is for people with OCD...

(Ok, that was a bit mean, but they taget very different types of players.)

PC gamers in general are usually pretty open-minded and play a variety of genres (ie. people who might also like strategy games).

Console gamers on the other hand are just into quick fixes (ie. a bit of free time, lets just waste it on ps3 and watch movie).

So they are not really targeting a different market segment, had they released the game on PC. In fact they will be expanding their target audiences.

The problem is that they are releasing it on console and even then only ONE console platform only (ps3, where people buy to play driving games more than anything).

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    I already knew it wasn't going to be that great. Just looking at the lack of any depth to character creation was enough for me to think this game was just another MMO. Can't say I'm surprised, none of these new games are really all that great anyways. Games suck now a days period.
    Originally posted by firebyrd94
    As an Eve-online player for 9 yrs, i remember the early days and reviews of Eve as being average- below average, yet it's still here and thriving, Eve has evolved,  and they have  stuck to it's main core as a sandbox....everything you do in eve has a consequince..... Imo CCP will do the same with dust, it will grow and evolve over the next few years, and will effect the way the Eve universe evolves in the future...I play both and enjoy both, I am 1 who purposely spent $300 just to play the Dust game, and i have drawn my son into playing Dust

I've played Eve Online since 2007. The 'promise' of Eve (and DUST) in the minds of players overshadows what these games really intend to be.

Originally, the idea of Eve Online was extremely ambitious and optimistic - to create a living, breathing, sci-fi world.

That ambition completely disappeared several years ago with the death of Walking in Stations and the announcement of DUST. Many CCP employees who still had the original dream were sacked.

Now, the ambition of CCP is just to create a 'space battle sim' for Eve Online and a seperate FPS for DUST.

The huge irony is that for Eve Online and DUST to work together, CCP NEEDED to have a cohesive 'world' - an ambition that has been abandoned years ago.

Therefore, as this current generation of Eve Online gamers concentrates on raising a family, Eve Online could easily wither on the vine.