Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 years later

octaocta Member UncommonPosts: 245

May 2008 should not be forgotten.  In a lot of ways it marks a turning point for MMOs.  It was the day that mediocrity in this industry could no longer be excused for simply being an MMORPG.   Nothing exemplified this better than Age of Conan and its disastrous launch.

On that launch day, 5 years ago, we learned several truths:

• Erling Ellingsen is a liar.
  • MMOs are released unapologetically unfinished.
  • Draconian forum moderation is a viable public relations tactic.
  • Ethical business practices are completely ignored at Funcom.
  • History tends to repeat itself when bad management is involved.
  • Beta tests have shifted to being a marketing tool rather than a sincere effort to polish.

Over the years I’ve seen attempts from those media patsies that receive ad revenue from Funcom or the MMORPG industry at large, attempt to re-write history and paint the game’s launch in a much more positive light.  Fortunately every attempt to do so has been met with an honest pushback from consumers.  We were there, we were affected.  The realities of that nightmare cannot be brushed away with a few paragraph of copy. 

We will continue to fight the good fight and expose Funcom for what it truly is:  A malignant tumor in the industry, more concerned with its bottom line than the quality of their effort.  They wasted and disused our trust and they boldly challenged us to do something about it. 

I hope the current state of Age of Conan is a lesson learned for any others wishing to sell us their snake oil.

I will never forget.  I will never forgive.

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Meh, AoC is pretty good.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Meh... Shitty games are released all the time. AoC was not the first nor the last... Beyond their marketing campaign not really that much stood out about it.

If anything i'd say Daikatana takes the price as some form of turning point.

This have been a good conversation

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112
    Played  AoC for quite some time at launch.  Have to say it wasn't THAT bad.  Yes the technical problems were bad and hindered the game but to call Funcom a tumor on the industry is a little much.  Even now, and I know it might be a little late, they are trying to improve the quality of life within the game.  Will that get me back in, an avid Howard and Conan fan?  Probably not.  But hey I gotta commend them for that much at the least

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    A bit melodramatic, don't you think, OP?

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

I think Funcom has earned my trust and done right by AoC  over the years and they're also doing good with TSW.

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by octa

May 2008 should not be forgotten.  In a lot of ways it marks a turning point for MMOs.  It was the day that mediocrity in this industry could no longer be excused for simply being an MMORPG.   Nothing exemplified this better than Age of Conan and its disastrous launch.

On that launch day, 5 years ago, we learned several truths:

• Erling Ellingsen is a liar.
    • MMOs are released unapologetically unfinished.
    • Draconian forum moderation is a viable public relations tactic.
    • Ethical business practices are completely ignored at Funcom.
    • History tends to repeat itself when bad management is involved.
    • Beta tests have shifted to being a marketing tool rather than a sincere effort to polish.

Over the years I’ve seen attempts from those media patsies that receive ad revenue from Funcom or the MMORPG industry at large, attempt to re-write history and paint the game’s launch in a much more positive light.  Fortunately every attempt to do so has been met with an honest pushback from consumers.  We were there, we were affected.  The realities of that nightmare cannot be brushed away with a few paragraph of copy. 

We will continue to fight the good fight and expose Funcom for what it truly is:  A malignant tumor in the industry, more concerned with its bottom line than the quality of their effort.  They wasted and disused our trust and they boldly challenged us to do something about it. 

I hope the current state of Age of Conan is a lesson learned for any others wishing to sell us their snake oil.

I will never forget.  I will never forgive.

I believe that companies change over time, and that those who work on a title did their best with what was available to them.  Management could be depicted in whole as "the company", but as a whole there is a point when someone should just forgive even a company.  This is especially true if the team is completely different from what it was, and if apologies are given and the game completely remade (not just renamed and relaunched under the F2P flag).

While Funcom hasn't really done much of the above in the past five years, they do take that leap in trying to be different.  Bad press will naturally follow, and sometimes that just needs to be quelled if the situation calls for it.  That does not excuse poor behavior (if such accusations are true), and does not insist that such behavior is the best way to go about it (some say winning them over or having a great face / humble attitude to change minds will also change hearts).

While I think the way this was written is a bit over the top, I do agree with some of the assertions therein with regards to the bullet points (minus calling someone a liar as I don't know the full situation there).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    A bit melodramatic, don't you think, OP?

Was about to post the same thing.   I've seen much, much worst than AOC.

This discussion has been closed.