Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: ArenaNet Reveals New Game Pricing

12346»

Comments

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by VikingGamer
    I love how every game declares themselves "the new standard" or "most anticipated" or "bestest game evar"... well, maybe not that last one, but you get what I am sayin'.

lol yeah. I saw that and just rolled my eyes.

That's what a lot of people were saying about that game before it came out. "GW2 will change the face of MMO development forever!"

It's just classic marketing. In order for people to buy into your product, you have to make them feel like it's "the big thing", or that they're somehow "missing out" if they're not part of it. It typically works because an awful lot of people in the world are extremely gullible.

It's a load of crap. The story with GW2 is the same with pretty much every person I've spoken to about it.. it starts off strong, has some really cool ideas, but falls short in the execution and becomes boring before long. Even people I know who were extremely passionate about that game (I mean, trying to convince me constantly to get it, dominating every conversation with how amazing it was) found themselves uninterested in even logging in anymore after a few weeks.

The "new standard" having to reduce their price to get more people through the door. Yeah. Sounds legit. Guess their cash shop isn't making as much bank as they'd hoped.

My guess is, next move will be just to go full on F2P with a more aggressive cash shop.

• Ungwe_LiantiUngwe_Lianti Member UncommonPosts: 9

This is your GOD speaking!

GW2 is a pale, boring and unworthy game in the world i created for you. So no more mixxed feelings there is only one way to go, straight to the bin!

Amen!

• MarzAttakzMarzAttakz Member Posts: 17

Pre-ordered, took part in every beta weekend and stress test event, 6 characters at cap, played on Desolation from Beta, eventually paid to transfer to Gandarra for fewer blobs in WvW.

Went from raging fanbooi to utter detestment and loathing, Guild Wars 2 I love you for what you could have been but absolutely hate you for what you turned out to be.

The day it dies is the day I rejoice, good luck on conning more purchases, the hype train was wrong about this one.

Originally posted by ichihaifu
    Originally posted by Soki123

Bashing a game not to their liking, there is absolutely no denying that the game is good? So what is it, someone doesn t like it, so they are wrong because it s good? Odd sentence. Lets try this. Not sure why people praise this game because they like it, theres no doubt it s a terrible game, theres no denying that.

Logic.

The "Logic" part is the main point that you seem to be missing here (or ignoring perhaps).

If people aren't motivated by the game enough to buy it for $60, $50 isn't going to draw them in by the truckload. $10 is not that substantial an amount.

Originally posted by GwapoJosh

ArenaNet reduces GW2 by $10..

The mmorpg.com community:  What?! That's it?! What a joke lol!!!

ArenaNet reduces the price by $30..

The mmorpg.com community:  LOL!!! They cut the price in half already!  GW2 is failing so hard!  LOL

;)

I imagine it more like this..

"We need more people in the game. Lowering the box price could do the trick, but we can't lower it too much because then we're cutting into our revenue too much, and the cash shop isn't consistent enough to reliably make up the difference. Let's lower it by $10 and do some heavy-handed marketing to make it sound like an amazing deal, while calling GW2 "the new standard", to try and convince the more gullible people that it's a "must have" game.

I still say that when the $10 reduction doesn't do the trick (because it's doubtful it will - not because "it's GW2", but because $60-$50 is not that significant a drop), you're going to see them get more aggressive with the cash shop, and/or make a transition to full-on F2P.

I don't see a time where they're dropping it to $30. Unless it's in combination with a more aggressive cash shop.

That's my prediction.  Time will tell if I'm right, close, or way off.

Originally posted by botrytis
    I wouldn t recommend it at $5.99, this is hilarious.

The game is worth it - it has the same amount of game play as Skyrim (using just as a comparison) and the areas are more varied.

Sorry, I wouldn't recommend this person's opinion at all.

GW2 has the same amount of gameplay as Skyrim?

How long did you play Skyrim, exactly? Because while people are burning through GW2 and losing interest within their first month. Meanwhile, others are still playing Skyrim and doing/seeing new things over 2 years after its release (not talking about addons either).

You're laying the hyperbole on pretty thick there.

I wouldn t recommend it at $5.99, this is hilarious.

The game is worth it - it has the same amount of game play as Skyrim (using just as a comparison) and the areas are more varied.

Sorry, I wouldn't recommend this person's opinion at all.

[mod edit]

So many people playing the game can't be wrong. Just because it doesn't fit into YOUR reality of what games are, doesn't  mean it is not worth the price.

Just because it does fit your reality of what games are doesn't mean it is for everyone else. See? That door swings both ways. That's called "subjectivity".

Try it and see to the people who have not bought it yet. GW1 has just lowered it's price. That is the issue with B2P games, they need to make money of box sales.

You're suggesting people give ANet their money, to see if they even like it enough to begin with? And what if they don't? Are you going to refund their money?

How about this...  People could wait for a free trial period, check it out, then see if they like it and think it would be worth the purchase. That's much more sound advice, I think.

Originally posted by Thupli
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by cinos
    Isn't that the price it's always been?

I think it was $60 before... I know, not really a big drop, eh?

you are right Bill, this is just for laughs...50 down from 60$...

A 16% discount isn't very much?  I think that's pretty significant.

$10 off a $60 game is not much, no.

I realize 16% looks more impressive than $10 (PR folk use that tactic all the time; "use the biggest number you can!"), but at the end of the day, $50 is what I'd expect to pay for a brand-new, just released game. It's not very compelling for a game that came out 9 months ago and whose hype has already died off, and otherwise proven to be overblown in the first place. There are other games that launched less than 6 months ago whose prices have already dropped to $40.

Now, if ANET said they were dropping it to $35-$40, they'd have something more to talk about.

What many here are getting at, and what the joke is, is that they're bragging about a $10 drop, from $60 to $50, as though it's some kind of amazing deal. All else being equal, it's not.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190
    Originally posted by ichihaifu

They need to make their profits somehow, main income for the game is from box sales after all, but I would be pressed to say that market income wouldn't be soon catching the box sales income because anet keeps on adding cool items there.

And honestly, $50 is even more a reason to buy it compared to when it was $60.

Also I still cannot understand why people bash on the game just because it wasnt for their liking, there is absolutely no denying that this game is good, even more so for just plain $50.

Bashing a game not to their liking, there is absolutely no denying that the game is good? So what is it, someone doesn t like it, so they are wrong because it s good? Odd sentence. Lets try this. Not sure why people praise this game because they like it, theres no doubt it s a terrible game, theres no denying that.

There is a difference between bashing a game and being critical of the subjective parts. Claiming this game is not even worth $10.00 as you did above is absurd. The quality of many elements that make up a game (graphics, animation, FX, sound, voicing, bugs) are easily comparable against industry standard. In all of those categories GW2 proves to be a AAA game. Now the more subjective elements like combat, story, art style, and content becomes a matter of personal taste and is much harder to compare. 

You may not like the more subjective elements, but to state the basic elements of this game are essentially worthless speaks to your bias and not the true value of the game. So yes a person like you can bash on a game while the overwhelming consensus from the gaming industry and genre players benchmark it as good or even great. 

You hate the game... that is pretty clear from your posting history. Why keep posting about something you hate... why not move on to something you like? 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.