Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: ArenaNet Reveals New Game Pricing

Comments

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

You can just Swap the EQ2 and GW2 order in your sentences and read it to yourself, Then you know what my point is.

The only difference is that many more players seem to prefer GW2 over EQ2

I think you didn't understand the irony that i was trying to bring forward with my sentence. More people prefer WOW over both EQ2 and GW2..what does that say about either game?

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Zalmon

I think the obvious reason they are offering it is because they can't sell it.

Just like how GW2 reduced prices because obviously they can't sell it anymore?

If we are just here to grasp at straws i think anyone can do that.  What you forget here is how old EQ2 really is. 

Maybe at $60 a box they aren't selling as many as they wished, so they might sell enough at $50 to offfset the price reduction.

If they couldn't sell it, they wouldn't charge a price for it.

What you might be forgetting is how small. population wise, EQ2 really is.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Whitebeards

You can just Swap the EQ2 and GW2 order in your sentences and read it to yourself, Then you know what my point is.

I think you didn't understand the irony that i was trying to bring forward with my sentence. More people prefer WOW over both EQ2 and GW2..what does that say about either game?

it says something about WoW being around twice the size of GW2 in the west and WoW being some 200 times bigger than EQ2 and GW2 being 100x bigger than EQ2.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by rasli
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by saurus123
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by Wizardry

EQ2 FREE

You could wait buy SC on double or triple days and buy enough un-lockers to fully enjoy the game for years and over several players.This is a MUCH more robust game giving over 300+ dollars in free xpacs.EQ2 has everything,housing,mounts,guild halls,better graphics,tons of classes,seriously it is miles the best option out there.

I bought a new FFXi account 15 bucks,again an extremely robust game,over 200 bucks in free xpac content.Yes it has a sub fee,but paying 50 to a game you might quit in one week or even 2 months is not a good bargain.This is especially since the game has so little content,your getting 1/4 the game as other older games.

This has nothing to do with what i think of GW2 personally,but a game like this at this stage with no xpacs is not worth more than 20 bucks.Even at 20 it would be a tough sell to me,especially with so many f2p games out there doing basically the exact same things.

On the other hand there is a reason those other games have to give, in your own words, hundreds of dollars worth of content for free.

Like static combat, worse graphics (I like that little remark of FQ2 graphics beating GW2 graphics), traditional text questing (as in outdated).

You assume that like you everyone else is bored of traditional questing, you know the marker over the type like GW2 has with hart npc's. And you also assume that people are fed up with tab targeting combat which in case you have forgotten, GW2 has.

EQ2 wipes the floor with GW2 is everything than perhaps graphics, it has so much to do in the game it actually makes GW2 look sterile.

and yet me and many other players i know couldnt stand the EQ2 for more than 1 hour

it doesnt matter if theres much to do if the game have crappy combat, quests, lore and world

graphic isnt important for me if i dont have fun i dont play the game

And that's the crock of the matter, not everyone likes the same thing.

And i though GW2 had crappy combat, questing, lore and world lay out.

Graphic are not important to me if i don't have fun playing the game, i got that exact feeling playing GW2.

IMO the game should be F2P without having to buy the box, it's on the Allods Onilne level IMO.

You know this is so ironic.  In the first sentence you just said not everyone likes the same thing and yet in the last sentence you completely forget this and state your opinion as facts....

Where did i mention the word "fact" in my post, since when did me saying "imo" become fact.

You can do better than that can't you? at least give me some sort of competition.image

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

I think it's more of a psychological tactic than anything.  People flock to sales like no tomorrow, while it won't be a tremendous amount of sales but I suspect that profits will pick up a bit.  Not to mention Wildstar and ESO is on the horizon so they might be trying to get one last sales pitch in before they release, then again those who will be playing Wildstar and ESO likely have already bought GW2.

Still the game is immensely has its value for its buck though.  It is of great quality (great to me, pretty darn decent at the worst) and something someone can periodically play in spurts at no charge to include the best CS I've seen as it not in your face and charges every little thing that is not content or class access related like Neverwinter or MT you for ever sort of content like DDO and TSW to a certain extent.

it says something about WoW being around twice the size of GW2 in the west and WoW being some 200 times bigger than EQ2 and GW2 being 100x bigger than EQ2.

No it says that only because a game is more popular doesn't mean it is better. You are trying to argue about subjective tastes here an argument you and others will never win.

That is why i mentioned WOW if we are just going to get into  'my MMO is bigger than yours'. If i go by your logic than WOW automatically is a better game because it is bigger and is P2P model and Anet knew they won't stand a chance. Hence, they went B2P to sell their game.

No it says that only because a game is more popular doesn't mean it is better. You are trying to argue about subjective tastes here an argument you and others will never win.

That is why i mentioned WOW if we are just going to get into  'my MMO is bigger than yours'. If i go by your logic than WOW automatically is a better game because it is bigger and is P2P model and Anet knew they won't stand a chance. Hence, they went B2P to sell their game.

You came to this thread and said EQ2 and FFXI are better options since they have more content.

I just told you maybe the amount of content isn't what people are looking for but the type of content.

EQ2 and FFXI content isn't interchangeable with GW2 content, hence they can charge different prices.

It is true size alone doesn't mean everything, but on the other hand EQ2 and FFXI are games even older than WoW, that existed in a time a game was able to grow to WoW size.

GW2 exists in a much different time.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

What a shame. And they gave away Secret World for like 10 bucks, which is a ten times better MMO.

50$ for GW2? No way I´m buying this. Didn´t even like the free weekend.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by DocBrody

What a shame. And they gave away Secret World for like 10 bucks, which is a ten times better MMO.

No it isn't.  It's another solo-friendly game like GW2, but with cooldowns on firing a GUN.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

10X better? In which reality? It is a single player shooter that they tried to add MMO features too. It is an awful game.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by botrytis

10X better? In which reality? It is a single player shooter that they tried to add MMO features too. It is an awful game.

lol...TSW is not an awful game...

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by doodphace

lol...TSW is not an awful game...

I think it is - played it during beta and for the first month. Couldn't see myself playing GTA as an MMO, which it basically looks like. The storyline needs work and graphics, well GTA again.

You came to this thread and said EQ2 and FFXI are better options since they have more content.

I just told you maybe the amount of content isn't what people are looking for but the type of content.

EQ2 and FFXI content isn't interchangeable with GW2 content, hence they can charge different prices.

It is true size alone doesn't mean everything, but on the other hand EQ2 and FFXI are games even older than WoW, that existed in a time a game was able to grow to WoW size.

Read again that is not what i said. However, i did mention the opposite side of the coin when you and that other guy started with 'my game is bigger than yours so it is better' argument. I was playing the devils advocate and that is why i mentioned WOW.

Man you really need to leave other people alone whenever they mention that they prefer X game over GW2. No need to dog them down every time for it.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

Man you really need to leave other people alone whenever they mention that they prefer X game over GW2. No need to dog them down every time for it.

and why they come here? its a topic about GW2 not about XXX is better than YYY

topic was made to inform ppl that its price was dropped a bit

and "these" ppl come here and say my game is better

so what do you expect?

now it ended with 10 pages of BS if the mods would dothier work it would be ended with mass bans and topic with 1 page

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki
    Originally posted by Giddian
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass

I prefer P2P, but B2P is too much of a barrier to entry after the "launch hype".

That is a funny statement

It is not funny at all, it provides just as much barrier to entry as P2P.  With subscription games you get a month free anyway.

As I said, there are quality MMOs in the market today that are completely F2P.  Many are better than GW2.  So I don't see why people would pay $50 over not paying anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if GW2 goes F2P this year.  Or does a "unlimited" free trail type of thing.

There B2P does quite well. look at GW1. they make their share of money. they {Like your F2P games} have a Cash shop also, so they make money on that too. they will be releasing expansions witch will be B2P and need the original to play them. When the Expansions start to be released, you will see the Original drop in price again. People still play GW1 so I believe you couldn't be more wrong.

"D3 drops price by 34% after like 12 months"

They have sold the game like millions of times. Still million player economy. Best selling game evurrr.

"GW2 drops price by 17% after like 9 months"

Look like the game is not selling good and those millions of sales must have almost all quit because no one bought the game again after his first purchase, just look at the drop of sales after launch and I hate the competition of my fav game and insist at best only 20.000 play this game, despite GW2 still making 3 times more per quarter, half a year post launch, than 400.000 subscriber EvE did, even without any subs and GW2 earned in 4 months EU/US more than GW globaly in 26 months. GW2 must go F2P soon only way to rescue this game because I insist its on its deathbed and deny it stabilised as the second most popular MMORPG on the market, basing it on unrepresentative and distorted activity of raptr user, twitch tv channels and cherry picking xfires playtimes while at the same time ignoring its favourable user logins or how close GW2 is to WoW and its activity somehow is ahead of D3 on these same charts. Also everything about GW2 sucks.

- a certain someone in a nutshell regarding GW2 -

the story could end here : )

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

Where do you get your numbers? How do you know how many people are still playing GW2? How do you know how many people are playing WoW from the west? Blizzard only releases how many unique paying customers are playing. It is broken down by region. GW2 doesn't release any hard statistics outside of sales. Your statement is even less reliable and supported than a xfire or raptr argument.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

Who says a game can't grow that big anymore? Back before WoW, the market was much smaller. Most people that played MMOs were fans of an IP or old PnP players. WoW opened the market up to everyone. Look how many copies a game like DIablo 3 sold.  Sure there is a lot more competition, but there is also a much larger market. A major company with a decent IP, a not so niche game of quality, and some decent advertising could do quite well. Look at both SWTOR and GW2. Both had millions of copies sold in the first few months. That is a huge amount of players to build from. They just didn't have what it takes to keep those people engaged.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Giddian

This site has the Most negative people I have ever seen. people will cry about everything even a $10 price drop.

I will agree that $10 isn't that note worthy, but to have so much negativity about nothing?

It is a popular game, it's dropped $10. Buy it or don't.

So why do you read a forum where people tend to criticize?  Personally, I would rather hear other posters thoughts rather than everyone trying to give a positive spin on everything.  $10 is not a big deal, and the game has a way to fund itself with a cash shop.  I agree with others, should have been $39.99.

Originally posted by stevebombsquad

Where do you get your numbers? How do you know how many people are still playing GW2? How do you know how many people are playing WoW from the west? Blizzard only releases how many unique paying customers are playing. It is broken down by region. GW2 doesn't release any hard statistics outside of sales. Your statement is even less reliable and supported than a xfire or raptr argument.

My numbers are estimates based on stuff like raptr/xfire, revenue of games like WoW, EvE, SWTOR and GW2.

In 2008 or 2009 WoW was something like 40% West, 60% East.

If the proportion remained the same, then WoW should have around 3M players in the West.

Stuff like XFire and Raptr would put GW2 at around 2/3 of that population half or less time played though).

Additionally EvE reported $65M revenue for 2012 from what is reported to be around 500K subs - that is around $5M/month or $15M per quarter.

GW2 last quarter reported $35M revenue or $11M/month from a non subscription game.

Additionally SWTOR announced 500K subs and 1.7M new free to play players in the last 6 months.

XFire report SWTOR at half GW2 pop, raptr reports SWTOR under GW2.

So 1.5M players for GW2 or half WoW western population seems a decent estimation.

• dimureadimurea Member Posts: 4
    I love this game! i hope it does well.
  • HupplaHuppla Member Posts: 1

Should I feel bad about buying gw 2 for around 20$ ? ;)

It is a good game, but wvwvw is lacking somewhat, fought the same servers 3-4 months....

//Williamine, hopeless thief, using sword/dagger because I cant get better items....my repairbills are too high

• delateurdelateur Member Posts: 156
    Anything over $40 isn't really newsworthy. I'm pretty sure that's what I paid for mine a few months ago...
  • Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Seriously, I think that all the people that really want GW2 already have it and anyone that might pick it up when it gets reduced won't until the price point comes down closer to what The Secret World did, about $29.99.  At that time people might get it and more will get it if they advertise it with specials on places like Steam and Gamefly (not that I want to see those 2 involved in it.)  I've never played GW2 but I bought the original GW for $39.99 and got my moneys worth out of it, then waited for them to drop the price on the complete collection (all three expansions) to $19.99 at my local Walmart.  Now I could see something like that happen when they decide they want to launch expansions OR include the original GW2 with the expansion to bring more players in.

And I haven't seen anything about the backlash that usually occurs when a company charges a really high starting price for a game (GW2) and then starts to reduce it.  The people that already bought it, or at least a portion of those folks get pretty upset and start calling for refunds and the like (not that, that actually happens, i'm just making the point), which hurts a community in the long run and gives the game bad press/word of mouth.
  • Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Sorry, for what ever reason, it wouldn't let me edit my previous post so I continue with a new one.  I was going to make the case that when  a company starts to reduce the price of a game, the people that paid the original much higher price seem to have a real problem with them doing it (not the entire population but a good chunk sometimes) and it usually causes the game to get a bad rep and drop in popularity for a while.  Not saying that this will be the case, but unless a game is struggling, it could cause an issue to drop the price.