Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dust 514 reviews. Has the CCP turkey finally landed?

IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Well folks, a lot of us have long had major doubts about how good Dust 514 might be, and the reviews in so far seem to suggest we were all right. The game just isn't an epic, in fact it is average at best, e.g.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-dust-514-253697.phtml

Now, as we all know it bolts onto the EVE game as a sort of PS3 shooter expansion. The choice in PS3 was questioned from the start as it is at odds with the EVE platform of PC only. People, why didn't CCP make a console port of EVE? Why not a PC version of Dust at launch.

Finally, it hits in the wake of Planetside 2, which is a good game.

As always everyone. feel free to post your thoughts on Dust. Is it actually a good game, or has the turkey finally landed for CCP.

Comments

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Id like to try it but the lack of a PC version means that wont happen, I have yet to buy a console in years and aint doing it just for Dust.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

I give 2 years before this game flops.

If they made it on PC I would have loved, as I love the EvE universe but cant be bothered to play a space simulator again.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I actually like Dust514, especially because it's on the PS3 and has native USB-mouse and keyboard support. Being on the PS3 means, that it won't be swamped with aimbots, wall- and speedhacks etc and for this reason it's the best FPS outthere currently.

The integration with EvE and the MMO-elements make it even better.

For me it's pure win.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    The choice in PS3 was questioned from the start as it is at odds with the EVE platform of PC only. People, why didn't CCP make a console port of EVE? Why not a PC version of Dust at launch.

Actually, you're about the only one that's been asking it over and over. Everyone else knows why.

http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/forums.cfm/forum/1250/profile.cfm/username/forums.cfm?ismb=1&threadId=320945
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5198572#5198572
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5207811#5207811
    http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/news.cfm?read=26634&ismb=1

Evidently, you do, too, but I don't think that's going to change anything.

Those are some links with answers to the question for you.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Illyssia

Well folks, a lot of us have long had major doubts about how good Dust 514 might be, and the reviews in so far seem to suggest we were all right. The game just isn't an epic, in fact it is average at best, e.g.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-dust-514-253697.phtml

Now, as we all know it bolts onto the EVE game as a sort of PS3 shooter expansion. The choice in PS3 was questioned from the start as it is at odds with the EVE platform of PC only. People, why didn't CCP make a console port of EVE? Why not a PC version of Dust at launch.

Finally, it hits in the wake of Planetside 2, which is a good game.

As always everyone. feel free to post your thoughts on Dust. Is it actually a good game, or has the turkey finally landed for CCP.

First off, it's not decent for a review to start off judging the game based on the fact it didnt release on PC, just because of IP. Lots of good games also are console exclusives.

second of all, it's wrong to compare Dust 514 to Planetside 2. 

Why? 

Because 1 is a MMOFPS (Planetside 2) ,,, and the other is a traditional lobby shooter(Dust 514) 

they not the same genre. Dust 514 isn't a MMO. Each match has a limit like any other lobby FPS.

planetside 2 you are fighting in a world that never ends until server shut down. So comparing the two in a review is bias in a wrongful way.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

First off, it's not decent for a review to start off judging the game based on the fact it didnt release on PC, just because of IP. Lots of good games also are console exclusives. 

second of all, it's wrong to compare Dust 514 to Planetside 2. 

Why? 

Because 1 is a MMOFPS (Planetside 2) ,,, and the other is a traditional lobby shooter(Dust 514) 

they not the same genre. Dust 514 isn't a MMO. Each match has a limit like any other lobby FPS.

planetside 2 you are fighting in a world that never ends until server shut down. So comparing the two in a review is bias in a wrongful way.

It's not too early.  It wasn't to early to judge that decision back when it was originally made.  It was simply the wrong decision.

It's also fine to compare it with Planetside 2, especially as that was the initial impression that was set when they announced it and it's not like there's a massive gulf of non-comparability between FPS and MMOFPS genres.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    As an armchair analyst, I feel that seeing DUST get lukewarm reviews as a standalone game is actually the most interesting starting point.  Now comes the test of whether being part of a shared universe adds or detracts over time.  The implications of the answer to that question are enormous.  If DUST ends up growing, despite the reviews, it's going to make a lot of companies start taking a second look at what the secret sauce of MMOs is.  If DUST fails to catch hold or crashes and burns, it will likely discourage future experiments with multiple games sharing a single database.
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

I give 2 years before this game flops.

If they made it on PC I would have loved, as I love the EvE universe but cant be bothered to play a space simulator again.

If they made DUST as a continuation of EVE and have actual planetary/station landings then DUST would be amazing.

DUST in its current form really has no point for port.

• STD-SkinSTD-Skin Member Posts: 13

I tried out Dust 514. To be blunt, I thought it was trash. I play the shit out of Planetside 2 and there is no comparison. I liked EVE and was looking forward to Dust, but I won't waste anymore time on this game.

Why oh why did they put this on the PS3?

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    This game Will take off when PS4 launches, because thats when most of the real EVE players will be getting it.  Right now I'm not going to buy PS3 just for it, but PS4 I will definitly.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    This game Will take off when PS4 launches, because thats when most of the real EVE players will be getting it.  Right now I'm not going to buy PS3 just for it, but PS4 I will definitly.  

Maybe, maybe not.

I think the biggest thing DUST has against it currently is the fact that it is a shooter on a Playstation system. The Playstation controller is just not the best controller for FPS games.

Also, Bungie's new project Destiny is coming out on Xbox One. I'm sure that will draw in lots of potential DUST players.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Danwarr

Maybe, maybe not.

I think the biggest thing DUST has against it currently is the fact that it is a shooter on a Playstation system. The Playstation controller is just not the best controller for FPS games.

Also, Bungie's new project Destiny is coming out on Xbox One. I'm sure that will draw in lots of potential DUST players.

SHouldn't do it. Since it's 2 different platforms. Those that get PS4 will get Dust if they want a FPS, and those that buy Xbox will get Destiny. I don't think any1 will choose a consol for a game. I'm a PS-man myself so will go PS4 either way. Also Xbox One didn't impress me at all.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Yada yada yada PS3 yada yada yada consoles yada yada yada toys pram yada yada yada
  • megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by Danwarr

Maybe, maybe not.

Why don't people just use mouse and keyboard if the they don't like the ps3 controller?

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Dust is far away from good game but to say that planetside 2 is a good one...

PS3 is bad choice... terribad in fact. Dust is born to be on PC even more now since console makers have decided to revive PC gaming with their poor choice of limitations and features on console side.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Will it even run on a PS4?  I think I read the new Microsoft XBOX isn't backward compatible with it's older games, any idea if that will be true with the playstation?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Will it even run on a PS4?  I think I read the new Microsoft XBOX isn't backward compatible with it's older games, any idea if that will be true with the playstation?

They will port it in that case. Just like Defiance.

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

PS4 will be backward compatible, which is just another way that MS have shot themselves in the foot with the XBox One.

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

DUST is a good game - not great, but good. The thing is many of the features DUST will have in the future, in fact many that is has now, are what set it apart. The gunplay is mediocore at best, the graphics are pretty bad, and the UI (while better now) is cumbersome. Yet... if you are an EVE fan, it still has that undeniable charm. The joy of fitting your dropsuits, testing out new fits and weapons. The metagame, while weak, is there. And the possibilities are endless.

I think DUST was supposed to be an attempt by CCP to tap into the COD market, which is why they went for Xbox first (but Microsoft would not allow a connection to Tranquility). As far as that goes... it's been a failure. I imagine a couple COD players grabbed it for free, tried it out and enjoyed the IP enough to try out EVE, but it can't be many. I know at work whenever people talk about EVE they always say DUST sounds more interesting to them, so I guess there is that....

Either way, it's a good "expansion" of an already great game, but it's not going to make the shooter-types very happy.

And yes, I agree that it should be on PC and it kills me that its not. Can't play it with my Corp because of it.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by eric1000

PS4 will be backward compatible, which is just another way that MS have shot themselves in the foot with the XBox One.

Sony have already said that the PS4 does not support PS3 games, so not sure where you have got that information from.

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Originally posted by Phry

Sony have already said that the PS4 does not support PS3 games, so not sure where you have got that information from.

As part of Sony's PS4 announcement conference today, the company detailed how on-demand game streaming will work with the new console. That technology is also informing how backward compatibilty will function on the PS4.

The bad news is that PS3 games will not be natively supported on the PS4. However, through the magic of Gaikai, Sony is working on getting every PlayStation game--be it PSOne, PlayStation 2, or PlayStation 3--to be playable on the PlayStation 4.

Don't look for that functionality day one, however. Perry said that while the cloud streaming of legacy PlayStation games has been greenlit, the functionality is to be rolled out in phases.

source  http://www.gamesradar.com/ps4-backward-compatibility-explained/

So no native support ( which doesn't mean that they will definately will not run btw ) but rolled out in stages across all previous PS models.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Phry

As part of Sony's PS4 announcement conference today, the company detailed how on-demand game streaming will work with the new console. That technology is also informing how backward compatibilty will function on the PS4.

The bad news is that PS3 games will not be natively supported on the PS4. However, through the magic of Gaikai, Sony is working on getting every PlayStation game--be it PSOne, PlayStation 2, or PlayStation 3--to be playable on the PlayStation 4.

Don't look for that functionality day one, however. Perry said that while the cloud streaming of legacy PlayStation games has been greenlit, the functionality is to be rolled out in phases.

source  http://www.gamesradar.com/ps4-backward-compatibility-explained/

So no native support ( which doesn't mean that they will definately will not run btw ) but rolled out in stages across all previous PS models.

sure, that might work for some titles, but not for many of them, and it certainly wouldnt work for an online shooter game.

the only way to get Dust 514 to work on the PS4 would be to create a new client for it, pretty much what you would have to do if they wanted to port the game to the PC, in fact, very very similar. image

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

What i have seen from CCP over this many years has been nothing short of inferior work,so i wouldn't even consider playing DUST.

CCP is darn lucky they got in first with the Eve idea and have virtually no competition and an overly acceptable fan base.I know i am decently lenient but i would have given up on CCP after one full year.

Nice gimmick though to tie DUST into Eve,that way they lure in their faithful and continue to enforce the RMT ISK market.You see the FPS market actually has a lot of competition but what those games lack is being tied into the Eve universe.So this nice little gimmick again gives them no competition,reason to hit their fan base up for more money and reason to make more money selling a game that should be nothing more than an Eve xpac.

You see if Dust was PC,they would have no excuse,so it would have to be an xpac but then it would also show why Eve itself is so bad and needs an engine upgrade and an overhaul.So CCP made sure to keep them on separate platforms and not alienate Eve or compete with it either.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Yup. You are sure right.

DUST is as dead as EVE has been for years...

Oh...

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

(IMO)  The game isn't bad, but it wont last. The only people that will be playing this game after a couple months is the "hardcore" Call of Duty crowd. If there aren't enough players to hire after few months what will happen then? Planets wont be conquered? Corporations will require player to own a PS3/PS4?

Better time spent for CCP was to develop World of Darkness.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes