Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biting the bullet, building a new rig, what do you think

David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

I have decided to go ahead and build a new rig this summer as my current rigs GPU bit the dust today (570 OC, looks like the fan failed, cant seem to get it up and running).

I am up in the air about the CPU and GPU, so which do you think would be better.

CPU: 3930K or 4770K or 3820 (wait for Ivy-E to switch to hex core) or 4750K ?

GPU: 7970 ghz or 780 or 650 ti boost / 660 SLI or 680 4 GB ?

It will primarily be used for gaming but I also do music/video editing as a hobby.

Im not that in to SLI but I am willing to try it if it is worth it (SLI seems to being doing better now-a-days)

Thank you for your suggestions.

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

What are your current system specs that you want to replace?

Have you considered just replacing the gpu?

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by jdnewell

What are your current system specs that you want to replace?

Have you considered just replacing the gpu?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/384825/Is-it-worth-me-building-a-new-rig-this-summer.html

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Exactly what power supply do you have?

If so inclined, you could probably salvage the memory, optical drive, SSD, and hard drive from the old computer, and only buy the other components new.

It sounds like you want to move a liquid cooling system to the new computer, too; is that for the CPU only or also for the video card?  Also, I don't know if the pin holes on an LGA 1150 motherboard will match those of an LGA 1156 motherboard.  If they do, then moving the CPU cooling over would be easy, but if they don't match that or some other socket, you'd at minimum need a new mounting bracket and may need an entirely new CPU cooler.

For the CPU, it largely comes down to what you're willing to spend.  Do you want to spend ~$220 for a Core i5 quad core, ~$330 for a Core i7 quad core with hyperthreading, or ~$560 for a six core processor?  If either of the first two options, do you want to wait two weeks for Haswell or to buy Ivy Bridge now?  While the Haswell CPU won't be any more expensive than Ivy Bridge, the new motherboards will be because they're new--and because the Ivy Bridge motherboards are discounted to get rid of them.

If you want to pay more for a six core processor, you could be waiting quite a while on Ivy Bridge-E.  Sandy Bridge-E was repeatedly delayed, and Ivy Bridge-E probably won't be much faster than Sandy Bridge-E.

Even if you do want to wait for Haswell or Ivy-E, you could buy a new video card and possibly power supply now, then buy the new CPU, motherboard, OS license, and case later.  While you could get the new case now, it's probably easier to only disassemble everything once, rather than having to do it once to replace the case now and again to replace the motherboard later.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Exactly what power supply do you have?

If so inclined, you could probably salvage the memory, optical drive, SSD, and hard drive from the old computer, and only buy the other components new.

It sounds like you want to move a liquid cooling system to the new computer, too; is that for the CPU only or also for the video card?  Also, I don't know if the pin holes on an LGA 1150 motherboard will match those of an LGA 1156 motherboard.  If they do, then moving the CPU cooling over would be easy, but if they don't match that or some other socket, you'd at minimum need a new mounting bracket and may need an entirely new CPU cooler.

For the CPU, it largely comes down to what you're willing to spend.  Do you want to spend ~$220 for a Core i5 quad core, ~$330 for a Core i7 quad core with hyperthreading, or ~$560 for a six core processor?  If either of the first two options, do you want to wait two weeks for Haswell or to buy Ivy Bridge now?  While the Haswell CPU won't be any more expensive than Ivy Bridge, the new motherboards will be because they're new--and because the Ivy Bridge motherboards are discounted to get rid of them.

If you want to pay more for a six core processor, you could be waiting quite a while on Ivy Bridge-E.  Sandy Bridge-E was repeatedly delayed, and Ivy Bridge-E probably won't be much faster than Sandy Bridge-E.

Even if you do want to wait for Haswell or Ivy-E, you could buy a new video card and possibly power supply now, then buy the new CPU, motherboard, OS license, and case later.  While you could get the new case now, it's probably easier to only disassemble everything once, rather than having to do it once to replace the case now and again to replace the motherboard later.

Thank you for your response. I have just decided to throw in an old 275 GTX in this rig, transferring the guts to a small form case (well smaller case, GTX 275 is a monster) for a HTPC.

With that said, now I start from scratch. My budget is about $2K US Max (1.5K'ish more likely).

Same question with the CPU and GPU. I don't mind a 560 dollar CPU if it can delay further upgrades down the road.

Oh, its a Thermaltake 850W single rail PSU (although its getting old PSU wise)

• CoNk3rCoNk3r Member UncommonPosts: 70

Do you want to replace or you feel you have to replace, due lack of power ? I ask, since i have the same CPU also at 3.33GHz and a 6870 1GBVram Card, and except for Crysis 3, i can play anything at 2560 by 1080 and higher (2720x1700, mod´d LCD driver) at least at high, very high possible (Crysis 3 medium - high mix).

My reccommendation would be, to upgrade first the GPU and do some benchmarking. The i5 750 + 7970 should be strong enough for Crysis 3 and Co, if thats not the case, replace the cpu and board as well.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    On a $1500 + budget you might as well wait and get the new intel CPUs .