Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you want a next generation gaming console, then you want a PlayStation 4--and not an Xbox One

Comments

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Xbox has ALWAYS been shit. The only thing they had going for them was Halo and Gears of War, and I'm not buying a system and paying nearly $100 a year if I wanna play these games, then play the multiplayer. It's always been a total ripoff and I'll never understand why people love Xbox 360 over PS3.

I guess for the ever so slightly better connection on games?

When I say ever so slightly, I mean hardly noticeable.

There is not a single thing that Xbox has ever done better than Playstation.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by Ghavrigg

There is also not a single thing that both Xbox and PS can do better than a decent PC yet people still buy them.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Vlacke

There is also not a single thing that both Xbox and PS can do better than a decent PC yet people still buy them.

You have put me in my place, sir.

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Sasami
    Originally posted by InsaneDalek

Microsoft has completely lost my support after the Xbox One (seriously, who chose that name?) announcement. Very disappointed, bordering on heartbroken.

If I want to watch TV, I'll head over to Hulu, not turn on my 'gaming' console. Or better yet I'll head to the living room and watch one of my many satellite channels.

MS went from serious contender to a laughingstock in one damned night. For shame!

You do understand you can do all these in Xbox One and it's negative thing?!? Since whole thing is always on you can just go and say "Xbox, Hulu" or "Xbox, TV". Plus fact you can play games. Why the hell you wouldn't have Xbox in your living room makes no fricking sense. Comments like this just show how stupid people are nowdays. You don't want to use Xbox One to watch TV, fine its still brilliant gaming machine. But it can also do so much more. And thats negative thing for some?!? WTF people!

i think you are missing the point, which is i guess, is an endemic problem at microsoft at the moment, parents will be buying these things for their teenage kids etc, to have in their bedrooms, what you are talking about is just an irrelevant gimmick.image

Yes, if we lived in 1980s. But we don't and 20-30 year olds are nowadays one of the biggest group of players, have been since PS1. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Phry

Microsoft has completely lost my support after the Xbox One (seriously, who chose that name?) announcement. Very disappointed, bordering on heartbroken.

If I want to watch TV, I'll head over to Hulu, not turn on my 'gaming' console. Or better yet I'll head to the living room and watch one of my many satellite channels.

MS went from serious contender to a laughingstock in one damned night. For shame!

You do understand you can do all these in Xbox One and it's negative thing?!? Since whole thing is always on you can just go and say "Xbox, Hulu" or "Xbox, TV". Plus fact you can play games. Why the hell you wouldn't have Xbox in your living room makes no fricking sense. Comments like this just show how stupid people are nowdays. You don't want to use Xbox One to watch TV, fine its still brilliant gaming machine. But it can also do so much more. And thats negative thing for some?!? WTF people!

i think you are missing the point, which is i guess, is an endemic problem at microsoft at the moment, parents will be buying these things for their teenage kids etc, to have in their bedrooms, what you are talking about is just an irrelevant gimmick.image

Yes, if we lived in 1980s. But we don't and 20-30 year olds are nowadays one of the biggest group of players, have been since PS1. 

a significant proportion of which are still living at home with their parents..  so your point is ?image

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

The Xbox One is pretty much a very weak computer.   What's the point of buying this if

1- You need to install game on the ridiculous 500GB HD

2- You cant play, buy or rent used game unless you pay a fee.

3- You need to always be online.

I'll play on my PC thanks.   The point of a console is being able to play games without hassles, now you makes playing games no different than playing them on a PC, why would i want to play games on a box that's worst than my PC ?

2 great rants to watch :

Alpha Omega Sin :

Angry Joe :

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I think it all comes down to what you want out of your console. I am assuming Xbox can do a lot of stuff which the PS4 won't be able to do - notably Kinnect. For a lot of people the Kinnect is one of the main selling points of the console. I have tons of friends who have an xbox as they see it as an "advanced wii". I personally was seriously impressed with the voice control and gesture capabilities of the Xbox one. So if the PS4 doesn't have something similar or something else to compensate for that I might chose an Xbox.

But then again you also have exclusives! This is super important. WE don't know much about exclusives so far except for the usual Xbox and PS exclusives. But those have been exclusives the last generation too. We need to see new exclusives. So I will wait until I get more details.

Hardware - you have gone through all known specs and have explained your reasoning but can you translate what that will mean in practice? We don't know how games will run on either console yet. People write all these walls of text but at the end of the idea is there a MEANINGFUL difference between the two. Do you think that people care if the PS4 has 5 pixels more? Last generation PS3 had the superior hardware yet I didn't see the benefit of it.

It all boils down to does this hardware difference matter? Advertising that you have powerful hardware is nice but that is NOT what sells a tech product unless you can demonstrate there is a real meaningful difference. Microsoft are trying to sell features to differentiate themselves. 

Just for the record I had an Xbox 360 the last generation but I am still undecided on which one I want. I will probably wait till I see the full hardware specs and most importantly their features and exclusive games.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20130522 This one made me laugh.

I for one don't hold real loyalty to either console manufacturer. I think both will be rushed and end up with problems like the last gen consoles had. In which neither had a proper recall issued (as should be industry standard when you mass-release a faulty product) nor did the companies admit that there were widespread problems with the products. 

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Hard for me to talk about this system as I know I'm probably bias.  There have been too many videos and posts that I agree with to keep a balanced view.  This is also with me keeping in mind I'm not really all that "in the know" when it comes to technology, and what I read on it is usually from those who claim to be such (and they themselves might be wrong).

But knowing these things, I would also say that we can now potentially tell the gamers from the non-gamers and or just plain fanboys by looking at statistics and votes on sites of those who still defend the revealing of the One.

One party isn't meant to be used as an offense, but you have to question if you're a "gamer's gamer" if you enjoy multi-media over pure focus on games and the gaming (potential) power of a system.  Nothing wrong with liking a system that is some claim to essentially be an expensive remote, or do what computers can easily do now with the right hardware, but we're seeing a split (in general and not as a law) of those who have been hardcore / old school gamers and those who jumped hopped on with the 360 and enjoy their expensive features such as Gold and Netflix and other mediums.

I didn't much like the PS4 reveal, but at the very least they made the point that gaming was their main focus (or the features which enhanced video games or the experience thereof such as going into your friend's game and helping him with the gameplay).  How they wanted to make a system that developers could make great games on, how they talked with those who actual made games to see how best allow them to do so for the gaming fanbase.  Indeed, even how they focused on the powerful GGDR5 Ram to facilitate much of this (also so that in eight years time when the "one's" peaks are reached, the specs of the PS4 will shine and push things forward closer (no where near, but) to what the computer is then capable.  With that, it's a shame that the least powerful system will limit more powerful platforms as seen with the 360 and PS3 and not wanting to focus making PC graphics (additional work) when you also sell on the consoles.

As it stands with the current generation, the big companies spend millions to try and push just "25%" ( ) more out of the system's outdated hardware.  With that, I'd imagine superior parts could be pushed farther by the time we reach such a point with the PS4.  Many games would have to just not be developed for the One and instead just be released for the PS4 and Computer if they want to go all out (or have severely limited graphics on the One in terms of perhaps lighting/shading/new technologies (in the future) such as Tomb Raider's hair physics now as an example).

Even if they absolutely "WOW" us at E3, this event was to show gamers where they stood.  And they did such in spades.  The "shiny shiny" will soon fade and the console will be exposed for what it is to the general gaming crowd (and those who cling to Xboxone or don't want to admit the PS4's blantant superiority).  It's a normal reaction, as I wouldn't ever want to admit my computer being inferior to something else.  I've pretty much stopped playing consoles with the N64 and the Playstation, so I couldn't care less about consoles next generation aside from whatever limitations they have in the distant future as that may be the "quota" for games in general if they also release on the PC.

As a result I've been seeing arguments between gamers and people who are all about social media and the one thing I've read holds true from that:  It's all about what you want from a console, pure gaming or multimedia with a host of restrictions to gaming or even using the system (which in my opinion you don't really need if you have a computer of any age) that will decide which system is best for you.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    OP is forgetting that the games, and value to individuals, not just gamers, will trump this coming generation of consoles. Consoles aren't just for gamers anymore. They are for entertainment and a console marketed at just gamers is bound to underperform in the market compared to a machine that can appeal to a wider audience and is ultimately well-adopted. The memory of the Xbox One shows that they are going for that broader audience isnce it's lower latency memory versus the higher clock speeds of the PS4. I'm sure both consoles will have very good games valued by gamers in both camps. That's not the issue. As the last generation showed, the industry will never see a console that thoroughly dominates the other like before. It will be a tough fight for both camps in the gamers minds. However, when it comes to the other 90% of possible entertainment consumers, I think the Xbox One has a definitive edge. That's what they're betting on and if I was a stock holder or executive I'd be excited at the potential of return for investment.
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972

The Xbox One is pretty much a very weak computer.   What's the point of buying this if

1- You need to install game on the ridiculous 500GB HD

2- You cant play, buy or rent used game unless you pay a fee.

3- You need to always be online.

I'll play on my PC thanks.   The point of a console is being able to play games without hassles, now you makes playing games no different than playing them on a PC, why would i want to play games on a box that's worst than my PC ?

2 great rants to watch :

Alpha Omega Sin :

Angry Joe :

1) Like in PS3 or like all people do in Xbox360. Seriously who ever wants to hear disc keeping noise. Also you can add USB HDD to extend that, rumor is that you can use it to install games also. And ones you have installed them you don't need disc anymore.

2) I call this bullshit until Microsoft confirms it. At the moment Microsoft is thinking how they do with used games. Most llikely they are tied to your Microsoft account or console ID(this allows you to play them without disc), but you could deactivate them.

3) You need to have internet connection. Meaning it will want to connect for updates and maybe license sync, but it doesn't mean you need to be online all the time. Seriously who doesn't have WiFi in there house, and I don't give fuck about american soldiers that are invading other countries can't connect internet. They are infinite small number against home consumers.

Why would anyone that have high end PC play console games, but most people don't have high end pcs or aren't willing to spend thousand bucks on them or just want something that fits in there living room.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Here here!

I have been trying to tell people about this for a bit now and I am glad you posted this.

Now I can reference people to this post in order to convey the information that I myself couldn't so eloquently write.

Thanks quiz!

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Neither one is particularly appealing to me right now.  They just look like Facebook in a box that you can play games on.  If I had a choice though I'd get the PS4 since most of the games I'm interested in tend to release on it.  I've never owned a Microsoft console and probably never will.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I didn't realise they did some user recognition thing with the kinect.

If they are that's crazy. Can see the lawsuits now when someone gets a haircut and can't play their games.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I didn't realise they did some user recognition thing with the kinect.

If they are that's crazy. Can see the lawsuits now when someone gets a haircut and can't play their games.

This is already in Kinect. If it doesn't recognize you can login manually.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Also the memmory of the Xbox is 8gb on 2133 mhz while the PS4 will tun 8gb on 5500mhz.
    It looks like PS4 wins the battle of better specs once more, offcourse no1 knows how well these machine's run.
    How optimised they are plays a big deal, you can have great specs but it needs to work perfectly.

But with what i have seen so far i place all my money on PS4.

More exclusive games
    Free internet
    Not required to be online 24/7 to play my damn games.
    No extra fee to 2nd used games or games o loan from friends.
    Better specs on paper.
    No kinect + Mic looking at me as Big Brother.

PS4 just seems like a real gaming machine...while Xbox seems to focus on tv and secondery stuff.

I think they are in for a very hard time.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Originally posted by CoNk3r

BTT:  Accoring to Kotaku, the Xbox 1 can only "access" 90% of the GPU and 6 of the 8 Cores of the APU, 2x Cores are reserved for the 3x OS with 3Gb Ram. The only thing im interested is to know and to see, what this "CLOUD" actually is and what they can achieve with it (40x stronger with the cloud-processing), more polygons? better textures... or :

That doesn't make sense.  If the OS has so much overhead as to eat up two full CPU cores, then Microsoft is doing something severely wrong.

It's plausible that the Xbox One (or the PS4) will ship with a salvage part for the sake of yields, since there aren't lower bins of console chips.  For example, if only half of the Xbox One chips have all eight cores work, but 90% have at least 7 cores work, then if you make an eight core chip and disable a core, you can sell 90% of the chips you make rather than only 50%.  The PlayStation 3 did something analogous to this.

In desktops and laptops, you can sell the "defective" chips as a lower bin.  For example, the FX-6350 is an eight core chip with two cores disabled.  AMD sells the eight core chips (FX-8350, etc.) for more, but if the cores don't all work, they disable some and sell the rest.  But you can't do that in consoles, as if there are faster and slower versions of a PS4, you lose the hardware uniformity.

Originally posted by gxgunny

1)  Xbox is unreliable.  I purchased a brand new Xbox360 and it failed with a red ring of death within 3 months.  Microsoft replaced it under warranty, but I was without the console over two weeks.  After this happened my power brick went out 2 months later and I had to purchase a new one.  If you google the red ring of death, you will see the numerous people with this problem since the Xbox360 came out.  I have friends that are on their 3rd or 4th Xbox 360 now due to high failure rate.

That was a one-time botch that isn't likely to be repeated.

As materials get hotter, they expand; as they get cooler, they contract.  But a given temperature change will cause some substances to expand more than others.  This means that some parts of a chip expand more than others.  Cycle between hot and cold too many times and it breaks.  ATI had done the packaging work to make sure that "too many times" would be a large enough number to not be a meaningful concern, but Microsoft wanted to save money by doing the packaging themselves and did it wrong.  This time, Microsoft is buying completed chips from AMD.

If you want to play games, the PS4 can do it better.  And if you don't want to play games, then why are you looking at gaming consoles?

Originally posted by Vlacke

Xbox 360 was easier to code for than PlayStation 3.

Xbox and PlayStation have better anti-piracy measures than PC, which is why a lot of single player games are console-only or at least console-first.

Originally posted by fivoroth

Hardware - you have gone through all known specs and have explained your reasoning but can you translate what that will mean in practice? We don't know how games will run on either console yet. People write all these walls of text but at the end of the idea is there a MEANINGFUL difference between the two. Do you think that people care if the PS4 has 5 pixels more? Last generation PS3 had the superior hardware yet I didn't see the benefit of it.

Basically, the same games will run on both, but at higher graphical settings and/or higher frame rates on the PS4.  The PS4 version of a game isn't going to redo all of the textures and artwork to make it look nicer, but higher monitor resolutions, higher degrees of anti-aliasing, or additional post-processing effects are all very plausible.

The PS3 didn't have unambiguously stronger hardware than the Xbox 360.  Depending on what you needed to do, either one could be superior.  The PS3's Cell processor could claim impressive theoretical peak GFLOPS numbers, but it was a pain to exploit the power available.  That's not going to be the case with the PS4; indeed, not only will the PS4 have clearly stronger hardware, but it will probably be easier to fully exploit the PS4 hardware than Xbox One because GDDR5 alone is easier to handle than DDR3+ESRAM.

Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Hard for me to talk about this system as I know I'm probably bias.  There have been too many videos and posts that I agree with to keep a balanced view.  This is also with me keeping in mind I'm not really all that "in the know" when it comes to technology, and what I read on it is usually from those who claim to be such (and they themselves might be wrong).

But knowing these things, I would also say that we can now potentially tell the gamers from the non-gamers and or just plain fanboys by looking at statistics and votes on sites of those who still defend the revealing of the One.

One party isn't meant to be used as an offense, but you have to question if you're a "gamer's gamer" if you enjoy multi-media over pure focus on games and the gaming (potential) power of a system.  Nothing wrong with liking a system that is some claim to essentially be an expensive remote, or do what computers can easily do now with the right hardware, but we're seeing a split (in general and not as a law) of those who have been hardcore / old school gamers and those who jumped hopped on with the 360 and enjoy their expensive features such as Gold and Netflix and other mediums.

I didn't much like the PS4 reveal, but at the very least they made the point that gaming was their main focus (or the features which enhanced video games or the experience thereof such as going into your friend's game and helping him with the gameplay).  How they wanted to make a system that developers could make great games on, how they talked with those who actual made games to see how best allow them to do so for the gaming fanbase.  Indeed, even how they focused on the powerful GGDR5 Ram to facilitate much of this (also so that in eight years time when the "one's" peaks are reached, the specs of the PS4 will shine and push things forward closer (no where near, but) to what the computer is then capable.  With that, it's a shame that the least powerful system will limit more powerful platforms as seen with the 360 and PS3 and not wanting to focus making PC graphics (additional work) when you also sell on the consoles.

As it stands with the current generation, the big companies spend millions to try and push just "25%" ( ) more out of the system's outdated hardware.  With that, I'd imagine superior parts could be pushed farther by the time we reach such a point with the PS4.  Many games would have to just not be developed for the One and instead just be released for the PS4 and Computer if they want to go all out (or have severely limited graphics on the One in terms of perhaps lighting/shading/new technologies (in the future) such as Tomb Raider's hair physics now as an example).

Even if they absolutely "WOW" us at E3, this event was to show gamers where they stood.  And they did such in spades.  The "shiny shiny" will soon fade and the console will be exposed for what it is to the general gaming crowd (and those who cling to Xboxone or don't want to admit the PS4's blantant superiority).  It's a normal reaction, as I wouldn't ever want to admit my computer being inferior to something else.  I've pretty much stopped playing consoles with the N64 and the Playstation, so I couldn't care less about consoles next generation aside from whatever limitations they have in the distant future as that may be the "quota" for games in general if they also release on the PC.

As a result I've been seeing arguments between gamers and people who are all about social media and the one thing I've read holds true from that:  It's all about what you want from a console, pure gaming or multimedia with a host of restrictions to gaming or even using the system (which in my opinion you don't really need if you have a computer of any age) that will decide which system is best for you.

If you can do the hard stuff (high end games), then you can probably do the easy stuff, too.  AMD is willing to sell Microsoft and Sony the IP blocks of anything they've got, whether Jaguar cores, Piledriver cores, GCN CUs, video decode, video encode, or whatever.  That's in addition to being willing to integrated anything into the chip that Microsoft or Sony already has or is willing to license from elsewhere.

Originally posted by Cochran1

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20130522 This one made me laugh.

I for one don't hold real loyalty to either console manufacturer. I think both will be rushed and end up with problems like the last gen consoles had. In which neither had a proper recall issued (as should be industry standard when you mass-release a faulty product) nor did the companies admit that there were widespread problems with the products. 

AMD is already selling chips with 4 Jaguar cores and 2 GCN CUs, though laptops and tablets built on Kabini and Temash aren't available to the general public yet.  AMD started selling chip with 32 GCN CUs and 6 GDDR5 memory channels around the start of last year.  Getting from there to a single chip with 8 Jaguar cores, 18 GCN CUs, and 4 GDDR5 memory channels isn't a trivial thing to do, but it's not like Sony is inventing the stuff from scratch.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

It all boils down to which console has the exclusive titles you're looking for. Specs barely matter anymore. Imo if you buy a console based on specs, you're not really in it for the gaming anyway.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I doubt I will buy either, but I think Foomerang is right.  I seen the video for the illumiroom and that makes me want xbox even if it's the weaker product.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.