Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat improvements since launch?

MandibleMandible Member UncommonPosts: 14
Just curious if there have been any improvements to combat since launch. I played for the first few months and the game had its flaws, but my biggest annoyance was the clunky feel of combat, especially in pvp.  

Comments

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Mandible
    Just curious if there have been any improvements to combat since launch. I played for the first few months and the game had its flaws, but my biggest annoyance was the clunky feel of combat, especially in pvp.  

It's F2P, why won't you check it by yourself.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I have to say, to me its improved. But I have upgraded my computer since then....so.

And gratz for coming out of your box and actually making a post after 9 years.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• DavynelordDavynelord Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Hokie

I have to say, to me its improved. But I have upgraded my computer since then....so.

No kidding...and I thought I would sub to forums and take forever to make my first post...but 9 years later and 1st post...WOW!

On topic, I wasn't around for launch but all the people I've talked to in game and in my guild who where around since launch have all said that most of the game has improved since then....there have been some nerfs to classes though and some players are asking the devs to roll back some of the changes...

Such as giving Trooper/BH their 30 meter range back on some of their previously nerfed skills due to the change in effectiveness of critical chance for those classes.   But it seems that from the developer blogs I read, they are listening to players and have made some changes to every class based on a lot of feedback from the players...like any game, you can't get 100% of what you want and every change introduces bugs and balance issues, but then that's why devs have jobs, it's an ongoing process for as long as a game is alive....no game can every have perfect combat or balance.

For the most part, I play a lot of MMO's (and I do mean a lot)....SWTOR is one where I actually like the combat more than most games because it's pretty basic in that the baseline focus is to make every class about the same but just need to use different application in how you play them.     It means that the game is not based on gear and who can camp a boss/dungeoon for weeks on end and get some badass loot that makes their character heads and shoulders above all the rest....it means everybody has reasonable and quick access to everything, thus putting all classes on equal footing (PVE and PVP)....then the only thing that matters is how you use the class, not how you gear the class....although good gearing can give you just a slight edge, but nothing that will put one player in an upper class bracket of players verse a lower bracket....

Bottom line, combat in SWTOR is about player skill, read and recognition ability and building and knowing good proper skill rotations....a player with superior skill rotations will easily defeat a player that's higher level and has slightly better stats.....In PVE, well what can I say, all games PVE is dumb....if PVE Is hard for anyone in an MMO, then they probably are not mature enough to be playing MMO's in the first place.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

lol Hokie that was funny.

As far a combat, to me it always felt smooth in comparison to most other MMOs and I've never ever had any performance or similar issues when I was playing except a couple of times when the servers went down which is normal for any MMO. Maybe Time Warner Cable internet in Los Angeles is just magical. The only game I ever felt had clunky combat was Lord of the Rings online and I still loved that game for a little while at release and I heard the animations improved since then.

There Is Always Hope!

• MandibleMandible Member UncommonPosts: 14

Lol, that really is funny..... But thanks for answering my question. Stay tuned for my next post in 2022 :)

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Hokie I have to say, to me its improved. But I have upgraded my computer since then....so.   And gratz for coming out of your box and actually making a post after 9 years.
    Lol, that really is funny..... But thanks for answering my question. Stay tuned for my next post in 2022 :)

i think the combat is very smooth, sometimes the lag may make it seem like the combat is clunky but it really isn't IMO

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    The combat in this game is not bad
  • HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Of all the issues this game has, I never thought combat was the problem. Compared to other mainstream MMO themeparks I think it has some of the best combat out there. My only complaint might be that there is just too many things to do in combat sometimes. A minor complaint because it only sometimes bothers me personally.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    yea...totally unique...you press tab, then you click 1 - 8...its intense

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

Originally posted by SirBalin

Yeah...as opposed to the new fad "action games" where you don't press tab, then you click 1-8, so much more intense.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Heafstagg

Yeah...as opposed to the new fad "action games" where you don't press tab, then you click 1-8, so much more intense.

Yea...its wierd, takes skill to aim

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Pretty much the same as it was on release Tab Target, or Click target press 1-8 or 1-0 don't remember how many skill bars it had.

I download the game just a couple of months ago I Love StarWars, but I can't stand this game because the game in general just lacks so much content, doesn't offer customization, and feels generic like almost every MMORPG I have played.

In general to me between Beta when I originally started the game besides BUG Fixes, and a Cash Shop with Over Priced Items, Cartel Coins there really hasn't been any changes except to maybe adding content but game-play wise I want a game similar to EVE Online, Dark Fall, or the single player RPG called Kingdoms of Amalur which all offer extensive customization for free with subscription and good game-play well except DF2 atm they don't have customize system put in game after initial customization.

However with this said what I am looking for is a game similar to Jedi Academy with actual skill aiming, or possibly similar to Smite where you actually have to aim your attacks with a light saber, and do manual targeting  along with extensive character customizations for a flat fee and quests that allow player to actually make decisions and effect story game-play.

My advise about SWTOR, Download the game if you have the time and give it a try because its F2P but do know that it is a long download if you decide not to like the game, don't have a fast connection, or have limited bandwidth. Personally the game isn't for me however I don't like it or the company who runs it much because of Command & Conquer Series.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

There is a reason why none of the upcoming mmos have aim combat. It was one of the dumbest ideas ever and its already gone. Elder Scrolls has it but that's the way its always been and it works if its first person. Games like Lord Of the Rings, World Of Warcraft and Everquest would never have aim combat because it does not equal skill. Skill in a mmo is about knowing your skills and what they do and when to use them. Any real mmo player knows this. I am all for action combat but it has to be like Blade and Soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttggY4zLN_Y

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

The combat is better than it used to be, and it's now easier to enjoy the game despite some of the faults. But the combat is still clunky, regardless of how fast your computer is, and it can't stand comparison to better done tab -targeting systems like WoW if you play seriously and try to push your character to its limits.

The game is F2P so try it out and see for yourself. Only you can tell what's your tolerance for combat clunkiness

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

For anybody curious - the reason (or atleast one of the reasons) why the combat sucked in SWTOR was because of ability delay. 

I stopped playing after 2 months so I cannot comment on whether they fixed it or not.

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340
    The classes were so unbalanced it really affects how you see combat.  Some people just need to spam 1-2 abilities, while other classes have to use a variety of tactics.   So, your enjoyment of combat can vary depending on your class.
  • AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149
    Originally posted by Mannish

There is a reason why none of the upcoming mmos have aim combat. It was one of the dumbest ideas ever and its already gone. Elder Scrolls has it but that's the way its always been and it works if its first person. Games like Lord Of the Rings, World Of Warcraft and Everquest would never have aim combat because it does not equal skill. Skill in a mmo is about knowing your skills and what they do and when to use them. Any real mmo player knows this. I am all for action combat but it has to be like Blade and Soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttggY4zLN_Y

Steparu says Teras combat is better because of its challenge :D

"It is no brainer that Tera Online has the best action combat that I have ever played. I've always preferred challenging targeting and Tera Online gives you that option. No semi lock on feature like Blade & Soul or tab targeting just pure action! (...)I am still looking for a new awesome game that can surpass Tera's awesome action targeting and combat."

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

most mmo players dont want action combat,,tera is proof of that

wildstar will prolly have to put in a dual system a la STO, if the want to keep a big playerbase

I've yet to play an "action" mmo that requires more "skill" than a challenging FPS. I find the "action" mmo fad to be pointless and half-assed for the most part. Come peacock me some more once they get the "action" mmo "skills" on par with an FPS or at the very least, a single player action RPG like devil may cry or something along those lines.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

What can feel clunky to one person can feel as smooth as silk to another of course so I would have to say that:

If you don't want to go to the hassle of trying it out as F2P then I would say that - assuming your computer ran it OK at launch - you are not going to find it any different now.

Originally posted by simplius

wildstar will prolly have to put in a dual system a la STO, if the want to keep a big playerbase

Actually it's a proof that many people want this because Tera is one of the worst games contentwise, still it has a big playerbase nowadays - only due to its combat (worldwide around 30 servers with lots of players!). You always hear people saying "Crap game but good combat, that's the only reason I'm playing it". Besides, Tera is much more mmoish than Neverwinter for instance. They offer much more different boss mechanics and events plus you have like 3 times more skills to use which also cause more additional effects on your targets, like in classic combat.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Actually swtor is the only tab targetting game i can play.. Combat is great, requires reactionals, and very fluent, you can almost feel the impact of your attacks.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

I agree. It has good fluid combat, nice animations and even though it's tab targetting you feel the action.
  • catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Abrraham

Actually it's a proof that many people want this because Tera is one of the worst games contentwise, still it has a big playerbase nowadays - only due to its combat (worldwide around 30 servers with lots of players!). You always hear people saying "Crap game but good combat, that's the only reason I'm playing it". Besides, Tera is much more mmoish than Neverwinter for instance. They offer much more different boss mechanics and events plus you have like 3 times more skills to use which also cause more additional effects on your targets, like in classic combat.

I am going to agree with this. The only reason to play Tera is the combat system otherwise the game was not my cup of tea. I do agree out of all the tab targeting games The Old Republic is the one that feels the best to me. Combat and rotations have been tweaked quite a bit since launch.  

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by catlana
    Originally posted by Abrraham

I am going to agree with this. The only reason to play Tera is the combat system otherwise the game was not my cup of tea. I do agree out of all the tab targeting games The Old Republic is the one that feels the best to me. Combat and rotations have been tweaked quite a bit since launch.  

Sadly I have to inform you that Gervaise1 says you are wrong about that...apparently the game is completely unchanged since launch...

Oh wait, or was that just another lame attempt by the same old haters to put people off trying the game or giving it a re-visit??

For anyone interested, the ability delay which was a problem at launch, along with the memory leak that has caused problems for some have been fixed...combat has been tweaked along the way and I personally feel the combat is much more solid and polished that it has been since EA/launch.

If you are interested, try it out for yourself and take the usual haters comments with a pinch of salt where combat in particular is concerned. Combat itself hardly ever gets mentioned on the official forum, much less moaned about and believe me, for the SWTOR boards that is really something lol :)

Driz