Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why try to make this game work..

C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365

I don't understand why developers are wasting time with this game.. I tried this game once a long time ago and it was dull, had no creativity whatsoever, and barely any players in it. 

About a year after that they tried to do the whole Rebirth thing with the game, and that ended up getting canceled. Sometime after all the rebirth stuff happened they released the game to have both a free and premium account, which ultimately ended up failing as well.

So I ask you all that actually have spent time playing this game..Why again are they trying to put life into this game. It just seems like this game is doomed to fail yet again, wasting tons of money and peoples time.

Edit:

Also, for people who are interested in the history, here is the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_of_Mankind#History_and_important_changes

I'm assuming this is all correct, though it is wikipedia, so nothing is for sure.

Comments

• C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365
    haha..I guess the forums are even dead on here for this game. Ok then.
  • GabrielPapaKGabrielPapaK Member Posts: 5

Game was great in 2004-2005. After the game engine update many veteran players left. We use to have about 1000+ players Friday, Saturday nights back in 04-05. You played during the "classes". Real bad time to play. That's how the game died. It was a bad idea on their part that I can admit. The devs didn't listen much. After the emu/rebirth a new Open Beta started. Had about 500+ players during friday/saturday nights. Game now is pretty much dead, but once Fall of the Dominion launches there will be about 300+ players for sure. Of course you need to time yourself, but I do believe you are right. I don't have much hope in the new update, but I support it. I hope that FoM will relaunch strong, since the game has so much nostalgia and once you understand how to play the game is much better.

Really the biggest problem is that new players are stupid. You probably did the noob thing and started shooting people for no reasons and got destroyed. This game is not for everyone, and it takes some time to become used to the game. Face of Mankind is like real life in some way. You probably treated it like WoW and got ripped into shreds.

Originally posted by GabrielPapaK

Really the biggest problem is that new players are stupid. You probably did the noob thing and started shooting people for no reasons and got destroyed. This game is not for everyone, and it takes some time to become used to the game. Face of Mankind is like real life in some way. You probably treated it like WoW and got ripped into shreds.

mmm, no. I played with a friend who was a veteran player Who played the game a while before I tried it. He taught me how to play, but the game was still dead and had very little appeal to it. I didnt realize there was that low of a number of players, thats pretty bad and not enough to keep a game going for years.

TBH I doubt this game will ever pick up again. Usually when developers try and try to make their game appeal to players and it continuously fails each revamp its going to die in the end.

• GabrielPapaKGabrielPapaK Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by C.L.O.U.D
    Originally posted by GabrielPapaK

mmm, no. I played with a friend who was a veteran player Who played the game a while before I tried it. He taught me how to play, but the game was still dead and had very little appeal to it. I didnt realize there was that low of a number of players, thats pretty bad and not enough to keep a game going for years.

TBH I doubt this game will ever pick up again. Usually when developers try and try to make their game appeal to players and it continuously fails each revamp its going to die in the end.

Depends on the year you played this game. There was once over 1000 players back in 2004. If you played in 2007 when the "classes" were patched in, nobody played FoM since it was terribad. The OB in 2009 had lots of players too, but once again the game is dieing slowly. Its just now that the developement has picked up and once the new Fall of the Dominion is up, there will be an influx of old and new players who want to see if its worth it to play. 

If you had played in 2004-2005 and had been involved in the community at the time, you would fully understand the nostalgia that veterans have towards this game. There really isn't any game quite like it. I personally blame the developers for bringing it to where it is at. They listened to the wrong people (Forum baddies and crybabies) and it got to where it was at. Now the devs are going at it their way, but I personally find their way too chaotic. I think the game has even more chances to fail, since now the players are in full control. The possibility of inbalance will be even higher. Only time will tell if this new recipe of a patch will succeed or not. The only thing the devs better do is make it "polished". Once their "new" game comes out, it better be well balance, well done, properly designed, polished, etc. because if they lose the influx of players that the patch will provide, they are doomed to go back into the hole that they will spring out of.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

I played FoM 2005 - 2006

SOme of the time times of my entire life in that game. I'd love to see it revived.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    lol just another money grab. When I saw the kickstarter for FOM I just rolled my eyes and moved on.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I don't understand why developers are wasting time with this game.. I tried this game once a long time ago and it was dull, had no creativity whatsoever, and barely any players in it. 

About a year after that they tried to do the whole Rebirth thing with the game, and that ended up getting canceled. Sometime after all the rebirth stuff happened they released the game to have both a free and premium account, which ultimately ended up failing as well.

So I ask you all that actually have spent time playing this game..Why again are they trying to put life into this game. It just seems like this game is doomed to fail yet again, wasting tons of money and peoples time.

its sounds like you didn't like the game..

Quite a few people actually really enjoyed the game.. sure it had its issues they are a small company with limited resources and its also niche game so there wont be as many playing it as wow..

Anyway as you don't like the game don't worry about it.

Originally posted by Caldrin

Quite a few people actually really enjoyed the game.. sure it had its issues they are a small company with limited resources and its also niche game so there wont be as many playing it as wow..

Haha..It sounds like I didn't like the game?..Of course I didn't. No one liked the game, thats why it failed. Did you not understand that? I wanted to, but developers did a horrible job with the game and failed multiple times. Now they are trying again for what, a 3rd or 4th time to make this game successful.

I'm sure the few thousand who played it did like the game, but as I stated above, that isn't enough to keep the game going. Especially if player population drops down into the hundreds.

I'm not worried about the game, I'm simply saying that based on their past history they are wasting their time and other peoples money by trying to do a kickstarter( which they are only setting for $50k, not enough to develope a game). I hope the game doesn't fail again, but with these people (Developers) who knows...

• TheSheepmanTheSheepman Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Haha..It sounds like I didn't like the game?..Of course I didn't. No one liked the game, thats why it failed. Did you not understand that? I wanted to, but developers did a horrible job with the game and failed multiple times. Now they are trying again for what, a 3rd or 4th time to make this game successful.

I'm sure the few thousand who played it did like the game, but as I stated above, that isn't enough to keep the game going. Especially if player population drops down into the hundreds.

I'm not worried about the game, I'm simply saying that based on their past history they are wasting their time and other peoples money by trying to do a kickstarter( which they are only setting for $50k, not enough to develope a game). I hope the game doesn't fail again, but with these people (Developers) who knows...

FoM has had a different team for a while, it's not the one that made it fail, it's the one that had to deal with the mess left over, and they never really had the budget to fix that until now. 

The developers you're talking about, aren't in the picture anymore and they've been working tirelessly for about seven months to make this project a success.

"No one liked the game" 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_oZDriUURo

In fact, it's really the people who've been playing it the most, the people would really know if a person could "like the game" that have been supporting this game for the past 2 weeks.

Someone even said to me that it's surprising that Face of Mankind even got $40,000 with the niche it's in and the fact that Face of Mankind still, to this day, has a reputation that has been completely invalid for more than a year because it was based on decisions made by previous developer teams who weren't nearly as amazing as the current one. 

It took a lot to even get this game another shot, another chance to play ball, but now something that doesn't even matter anymore is going to prevent it's success regardless of the facts?  

Also the kickstarter is also going to fund a small advertising budget, because this is a game dependent on an active and large player base so again, they are not the developers you're thinking of.

k