Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you want a next generation gaming console, then you want a PlayStation 4--and not an Xbox One

Comments

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Originally posted by grndzro
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Next-Gen Console = Upgrade your PC.

If you want to play rpg's then a console is the only way. Unless you wait 10 years for an emulator.

Skyrim, Fallout, the Witcher (among many others) say you're very wrong.

ya but theres a lot of good JRPGs that never come to PC like Dragons Dogma or Final Fantasy for example other than 7

JRPGs aren't the only RPGs one can play, as the person who I quoted might have been thinking.  There's lots of quality rpgs that are available for PCs.  I have no interest in JRPGs and they seem to be a niche here in NA.  But yes, if a jrpg is your thing, then a console is usually the only way you can play them.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by AIMonster

I was leaning towards PS4 this year, but the main reason was so I could play PS2 and PS3 games with Gaikai as I don't own those consoles.  I bought an Xbox 360 last generation (late in it though so I got it cheap) and regret it as the PS3 had better exclusives for me since I don't play FPS games on a console.  I also don't like the fact I have to pay for Xbox Live.

After that horrible conference though, and all the negative press Xbox One is getting after the conference on things they didn't mention during the conference like internet connectivity being required at least once every 24 hours and especially the used games fees, I'm definitely going to be buying a PS4.  I don't care if the Xbox exclusives are amazing (I doubt it) I don't like the direction Microsoft is heading with the console.

Yes, PC is definitely better for hardcore gaming, but consoles have lots of exclusive titles I won't see on the PC so there is still reason enough to buy them.

on PS4 you will also be able let your friends spectate from their PS4 and even let them play your game through gaikai in the middle of play if u needed them to help u or something.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Hopefully the PS4 will have some decent games cause my PS3 has been collecting dust for years now.

If you want to play rpg's then a console is the only way. Unless you wait 10 years for an emulator.

Skyrim, Fallout, the Witcher (among many others) say you're very wrong.

ya but theres a lot of good JRPGs that never come to PC like Dragons Dogma or Final Fantasy for example other than 7

JRPGs aren't the only RPGs one can play, as the person who I quoted might have been thinking.  There's lots of quality rpgs that are available for PCs.  I have no interest in JRPGs and they seem to be a niche here in NA.  But yes, if a jrpg is your thing, then a console is usually the only way you can play them.

Its a big niche as a lot of people grew up playing them since super nes to now with final fantasy, chrono trigger, chrono cross, xenogears, xenosaga, mario rpg, star ocean, phantasy star, Wizardry, Saga Frontier, earthbound and some of these titles has been around long before elder scrolls and fallout.  Final Fantasy VII was given numerous game of the year awards in 1997 and Got a full CGI movie too.  Even to this date people are asking for a next gen remake of the game.  My point is that they are a big deal to millions of people on both sides of the planet. I mean look at how anime and manga is so popular in western market, half the cartoons on cartoon network in their adult swim and toonami programs are anime.  Mario was the game that jump started gaming in general to the public mass.  In a way Mario and NES was the WoW of the gaming industry. Of course lets not forget Zelda

• LuciferIAmLuciferIAm Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Man, these type of xbox hate threads are just everywhere. I kind of get why everyone is jumping on the hate train but its just silly... truly, we barely know any of the absolute facts of these consoles. Sony fanboys continue to exaggerate their own conference despite it being well over an hour of like facebook crap. M$ was pretty clear that E3 will be heavily focused on games while the reveal was simply a reveal. They also have a plan for used games that may unwad everyones panties. I'm honestly not fanboying for xbox, but the hate is pretty annoying. Also, all the haters seem to skip over how absolutely AWESOME the new xbox controller looks and its various improvements, while the ps4 controller looks uncomfortable and lame.
  • grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

The PS4 will be leveraging the GDDR5 to make use of the GPU part of the CPU as well as having a discrete GPU.

The Xbox one will not be able to use the APU as well as the PS4 unless it has more than 2 DDR3 channels or uses pretty fast ram. 

Sony also collaborated with AMD to glue some proprietary sony bits into it's APU. No idea what buy you can bet Sony crammed in every piece of tech it could.

MS was a bit late in the design phase compared to Sony as well.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Btw.. wheres Gameloading?
  • humwhahumwha Member Posts: 38

whatever there prices you have to account for the 60 a year xbox is going to milk you for every year to play online.

I would also assume it uses more power being always on. The annoyance of saying any word close to xbox on near the tv as well lol.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Grunty
    Originally posted by ninjapy

360 Gamers will stick with there 360's , PS3 gamers will buy PS4. Xbox One was built to appeal to someone different. The gadget guy or gal and so on. It wasn't made to appeal to PS3 fanboi's or even compare itself to PS4. Its a whole new animal. It's about longevity for Microsoft. PS4 will do well this Christmas I'm sure, but Xbox One will endure for the next ten years  while Sony wonders what there goin to do next as Microsoft pulls market share. So don't compare the 2 just yet. Like Microsoft said at the Unveiling, they will show games at E3. Or was I the only one to catch that comment.

I know where you can score a great deal on an AMC Pacer.

Hey, Pacers rock man... I mean.. Yeah.

Long live the Pacer!

And of course..

Long live Banana Phone!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqWwsUhrFBw

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

Sry mate but you lost me with this.  PC has always been the platform of choice for RPG's.  Why do you think that 99% of MMO's are PC exclusive?

I built myself a new PC a few weeks ago.  Granted it's a top shelf rig but the hardware in there kicks both the Xbox 1 and PS4 back into the last decade. 

As for the OP's point, I agree completely.  Not just with the hardware comparison but the fact that MS are trying the EA sponsored 'stick a knife in the pre-owned market' approach along with other greed driven systems and the PS4 looks a lot more attractive.  I however will be sticking with my way more powerful PC thankyou.

Originally posted by eric1000

Sry mate but you lost me with this.  PC has always been the platform of choice for RPG's.  Why do you think that 99% of MMO's are PC exclusive?

I built myself a new PC a few weeks ago.  Granted it's a top shelf rig but the hardware in there kicks both the Xbox 1 and PS4 back into the last decade. 

As for the OP's point, I agree completely.  Not just with the hardware comparison but the fact that MS are trying the EA sponsored 'stick a knife in the pre-owned market' approach along with other greed driven systems and the PS4 looks a lot more attractive.  I however will be sticking with my way more powerful PC thankyou.

I mean consoles have majority of the same rpgs that are on PC (all the good ones) even Diablo 3 now and have rpgs like final fantasy, chrono trigger/cross, xenogears, zelda, wizardry, star ocean, mario rpg, phantasy star, saga frontier, Dragon Quest, Destiny, Kingdom hearts, Breath of Fire, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, Demons Souls, Nier, White Knight Chronicles, Valkyria Chronicles, .hack, Dark Cloud, Brave Fencer Musashi, Phantom Brave, Growlancer, Grandia, Suikoden, Arc the Lad and many more

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

The PS4 will be leveraging the GDDR5 to make use of the GPU part of the CPU as well as having a discrete GPU.

The Xbox one will not be able to use the APU as well as the PS4 unless it has more than 2 DDR3 channels or uses pretty fast ram. 

Sony also collaborated with AMD to glue some proprietary sony bits into it's APU. No idea what buy you can bet Sony crammed in every piece of tech it could.

MS was a bit late in the design phase compared to Sony as well.

Neither the PS4 nor the Xbox One will have a discrete video card.  Both will have integrated graphics that are as fast as the discrete video card that they would have used would have been, though.

The Xbox One is rumored to have four channels of 2133 MHz DDR3.  While that leaves it far behind the PS4, it is substantial memory bandwidth.

The point of AMD's "semi-custom APUs" is precisely that it does let someone else include whatever proprietary stuff they want, in addition to an AMD CPU and GPU.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

I mean consoles have majority of the same rpgs that are on PC (all the good ones) even Diablo 3 now and have rpgs like final fantasy, chrono trigger/cross, xenogears, zelda, wizardry, star ocean, mario rpg, phantasy star, saga frontier, Dragon Quest, Destiny, Kingdom hearts, Breath of Fire, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, Demons Souls, Nier, White Knight Chronicles, Valkyria Chronicles, .hack, Dark Cloud, Brave Fencer Musashi, Phantom Brave, Growlancer, Grandia, Suikoden, Arc the Lad and many more

let make a small corection here, if you want to play JRPGs you need to go console, as JRPGs dont even seem to know what a PC is, i can count the total true JRPG title on 2 hands, and that all the ones that where ever made counting some older one like septerra core, which was good by the way.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872
    I was really under whelmed by the xbox one and I have owned both the original xbox and the 360. Microsoft is pushing for  more of this tablet feel or something I dont really know what they were going for but I did not like it. Right now as it stand I will probably wait to see if all my xbox friends are getting it i do enjoy playing border lands and other games with them, but I am not impressed. 
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I'll buy both but i do prefer PlayStation over XBOX, i always have.

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138

Yeah lets see what the opinions are when E3 rolls around. Someone's always got something to complain about.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

This is a tech demo from EPIC showing off what can be done on a PS4,easily better looking than any MMO out there.Naturally tech only goes as far as the quality of the developer

EPIC PS4 Tech demo

I really wish Epic games would get into making MMORPG's they are selling their amazing engines to every genre,they need to get out and show the weak how to do it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CoNk3rCoNk3r Member UncommonPosts: 70

What, are you on drugs ? Haven´t played any "true" RPG on PC since Baldurs Gate or Dragon Age Origins... keep on playing your ---ty MMO asia grinder../doh

Yeah! For that money, you could probably buy 2x PS4 and CrossFire them for extra juice

The PC might be stronger, a PC for the price of a PS4 (~600$) is about the same as powerful as the PS4... actually i believe its even worse due > bad AMD/Nvidia Driver (decompiler), directX APi + Windows 7/8

Without all those "hurdles", a TiTan could probably achieve twice as much frames per seconds (Crysis 3 at Ultra, 1080p and more).

BTT:  Accoring to Kotaku, the Xbox 1 can only "access" 90% of the GPU and 6 of the 8 Cores of the APU, 2x Cores are reserved for the 3x OS with 3Gb Ram. The only thing im interested is to know and to see, what this "CLOUD" actually is and what they can achieve with it (40x stronger with the cloud-processing), more polygons? better textures... or :

Xbox 1 Cloud = OnLive ?

• gxgunnygxgunny Member Posts: 64

I am getting a PS4 this time around.  I picked the xbox 360 over the PS3 and really regretted the decision I made.  I will list the reasons why I am picking a PS4 over the new Xbox.

1)  Xbox is unreliable.  I purchased a brand new Xbox360 and it failed with a red ring of death within 3 months.  Microsoft replaced it under warranty, but I was without the console over two weeks.  After this happened my power brick went out 2 months later and I had to purchase a new one.  If you google the red ring of death, you will see the numerous people with this problem since the Xbox360 came out.  I have friends that are on their 3rd or 4th Xbox 360 now due to high failure rate.

2) Microsoft is greedy.  They charge for the xbox live service that allows you to play online games, watch netflix,etc.  This is free on the PS3 and probably will be free on the PS4.

3) Microsoft makes poor products.  This company has a long track record of coming up with a new product to fix all of the problems with their existing products instead of just fixing the problem.  Hence, they created Microsoft Vista and rushed Windows 7 out to consumers to fix all of issues.  Now they are coming out Windows 8 (BLUE)  to fix the problems with Windows 8   Blue-Screen ??  Bad name maybe?

4) Microsoft leadership is making poor decisions.  As an example of this, they created Windows 8, removed the start menu completely (no option), but Windows 8 needs to run on both the PC and Tablets and does not work well with the PC which leads most users to a confused state and I feel fairly confident that business users of the Microsoft OS are not going to adopt the new look at an enterprise level.  Options are always good, esp if you are going cross platform. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by LuciferIAm
    Man, these type of xbox hate threads are just everywhere. I kind of get why everyone is jumping on the hate train but its just silly... truly, we barely know any of the absolute facts of these consoles. Sony fanboys continue to exaggerate their own conference despite it being well over an hour of like facebook crap. M$ was pretty clear that E3 will be heavily focused on games while the reveal was simply a reveal. They also have a plan for used games that may unwad everyones panties. I'm honestly not fanboying for xbox, but the hate is pretty annoying. Also, all the haters seem to skip over how absolutely AWESOME the new xbox controller looks and its various improvements, while the ps4 controller looks uncomfortable and lame.

the problem is that the complaints being levelled at microsoft about the xbox one are about things that we absolutely do know the facts about. Games have to be installed onto the xbox one, and its a 2 part install, the second part is when the game is authenticated online, and the game tied to the xbox live tag, if you then install that game on another xbox, you need another 'authentication' which means you need to get your credit card out and buy it, again.. so any 2 console families out there will have to buy 2 versions of the game if say, a parent buys a game for their kids, only one of them can play it. and with kinect doing its old user recognition thing, no pretending to be someone else either..  but hey, at least it can do awesome things with the tv.. which is going to be a hell of a lot of use if, as most xbox 360's are, its confined to the kids bedrooms and isnt allowed on the family tv. Microsoft are trying to sell a media center, not a games console, but that isnt what people actually want, at least Sony gets this, which is why the PS4 will have a huge advantage over the xbox one, which at the end of the day is just a gimmick.image

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by InsaneDalek

Microsoft has completely lost my support after the Xbox One (seriously, who chose that name?) announcement. Very disappointed, bordering on heartbroken.

If I want to watch TV, I'll head over to Hulu, not turn on my 'gaming' console. Or better yet I'll head to the living room and watch one of my many satellite channels.

MS went from serious contender to a laughingstock in one damned night. For shame!

You do understand you can do all these in Xbox One and it's negative thing?!? Since whole thing is always on you can just go and say "Xbox, Hulu" or "Xbox, TV". Plus fact you can play games. Why the hell you wouldn't have Xbox in your living room makes no fricking sense. Comments like this just show how stupid people are nowdays. You don't want to use Xbox One to watch TV, fine its still brilliant gaming machine. But it can also do so much more. And thats negative thing for some?!? WTF people!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Sasami
    Originally posted by InsaneDalek

Microsoft has completely lost my support after the Xbox One (seriously, who chose that name?) announcement. Very disappointed, bordering on heartbroken.

If I want to watch TV, I'll head over to Hulu, not turn on my 'gaming' console. Or better yet I'll head to the living room and watch one of my many satellite channels.

MS went from serious contender to a laughingstock in one damned night. For shame!

You do understand you can do all these in Xbox One and it's negative thing?!? Since whole thing is always on you can just go and say "Xbox, Hulu" or "Xbox, TV". Plus fact you can play games. Why the hell you wouldn't have Xbox in your living room makes no fricking sense. Comments like this just show how stupid people are nowdays. You don't want to use Xbox One to watch TV, fine its still brilliant gaming machine. But it can also do so much more. And thats negative thing for some?!? WTF people!

i think you are missing the point, which is i guess, is an endemic problem at microsoft at the moment, parents will be buying these things for their teenage kids etc, to have in their bedrooms, what you are talking about is just an irrelevant gimmick.image

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I am pretty brand agnostic. I don't think brand loyalty makes sense. I would consider myself a detractor of Microsoft. Too many years of dealing with stupid things that should just work.

However, I like my XBox 360. It plays the games I want to play. I can't do anything else with it since I don't have an XBox Live Gold account, which is annoying, but it does at least do what I want it to do. Not that it matters, but I like Windows 7 too. It works and it does what people want it to do.

The XBox One doesn't seem like a consumer friendly device to me. I mean, the software sounds cool, and the hardware is probably OK, but the policies behind it look like they just want more money from consumers because they have mined out the operating system market. Everything about the XBox One is driven by how the money can be tapped, not by what the consumer wants.

Meh. It's not like I'd be buying either one anyway, so there's no particular reason Microsoft or Sony would listen to someone like me.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    I will buy both . So i guess that solves the problem for me. image
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Or a year for the PC version to come out with bug fixes and improvements.

i dont know of very many jrpgs on the pc ...