Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ever talk about that "mmo" youve always wanted?

Hello guys. I know its been a long time, but its nice to see you again.

Funny story, so last night i was doing my usual soapbox style rant, with my friend on steam, on the subject of mmos and how they are just not being designed correctly when my friend linked me a kickstarter of an mmo that just made my jaw drop.

The funny thing is, not only did the game hit on points i had made along the conversation but it also had stuff listed that i have personally been wanting in mmos for the last 10 years. 

Knowing i have fellow jaded mmo players here id figured id come and share it with you and see what you all thought on it yourselves.

A bit about the game:

TUG sits at the crossroads where survival sandbox and multiplayer RPG’s meet, offering both elegant simplicity and a world of complex secrets for those who desire to seek them out. From freezing snow capped mountains to dark dreary caves, TUG offers a massive procedurally-generated world to explore, full of mystery and danger -- but what makes TUG truly unique is its ability to help us learn what you as players enjoy about the game, and to use your interactions to make an amazing world even better.

The project draws inspiration from fun, accessible games we love such as Minecraft, Fable, Animal Crossing, and Zelda, as well as games that feature deeply complex worlds, including Eve Online, Monster Hunter, and Dwarf Fortress.

Here is the video on the youtube if you just want that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tlPDsbp_M4

Here is their main website if you wish to take a look:

http://nerdkingdom.com/

Here is the kickstart:

www.kickstarter.com/projects/nerdkingdom/tug-1

Take a look at it and let me know what you think!  

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Another kickstarter plug? I don't believe in KS.

But of course i don't mind if you want to put your money on wishful thinking.

• ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I understand the knee jerk reaction to KS. Hard to put faith in something you cant see and touch yet,

Games like this need to kickstart because if they went through a publisher they would never see the light of day or much worse... they would have their game changed due to the publishers having a say.

And not only that kickstarter gives us the gamers a say in the game, instead of the publisher, so it really is win/win.

But yeah, i respect your opinion. 

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

Originally posted by ArcheusCross

Did you watch the video? O.o

Heres the issue. Games like this NEED to kickstart because if they went through a publisher they would never see the light of day or much worse... they would have their game changed due to the publishers having a say.

I understand the knee jerk reaction to KS. Hard to put faith in something you cant see and touch yet, but even then. They dont take your money unless they hit the goal. 

And not only that kickstarter gives us the gamers a say in the game, instead of the publisher, so it really is win/win.

But yeah, i respect your opinion. 

This game may need KS but i certainly do not need this game. It is not like i have a lack of games to play. If they ever produce a game, i will give it a fair shot. Otherwise, i don't pay for hopes (and again, nothing against those who do).

Hitting the goal != producing a good game. They hit their goal, take your money, and there is nothing you can do if they fail to produce a game, or produce one that you don't like. I ONLY pay money for games when the game exists so i can figure out if i like it (from reviews, demos, gameplay videos and stuff like that).

You already have a say in games. That is call voting with your wallet.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Heres the issue.

No the issue is we're tired of seeing people beg for money to fund some KS game. If you like the game..fine. If you want support for the game post some info, post a link to the site and let people figure out it's a KS game and then decide if they want to give it money.

The whole bit about how ks works and if you want a real mmo bs has been done to death here.

Originally posted by DamonVile

Heres the issue.

No the issue is we're tired of seeing people beg for money to fund some KS game. If you like the game..fine. If you want support for the game post some info, post a link to the site and let people figure out it's a KS game and then decide if they want to give it money.

The whole bit about how ks works and if you want a real mmo bs has been done to death here.

Sweet!. Thanks for "your opinion". At the very least thanks for the thread bump. I will post more info as well as a link to their site.

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Doesn't come of as a third party, or even second party submission. And while all those descriptions sound worthwhile... There pretty simple and lack any assurance.

I'll have to look at it better when I have a good connection, but I'm not supporting any kickstarter that doesn't specifically and thoroughly meet my personal interests. And my expectations are unrealistic.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

Originally posted by BahamutKaiser
    Doesn't come of as a third party, or even second party submission. And while all those descriptions sound worthwhile... There pretty simple and lack any assurance.

I'll have to look at it better when I have a good connection, but I'm not supporting any kickstarter that doesn't specifically and thoroughly meet my personal interests. And my expectations are unrealistic.

Yeah. Im actually trying to find a way just to post the video from the kickstarter here instead of the text description. And its annoying the piss out of me. Haha. The video is the meat and potatoes. Besides.. i dont want to post all the information on here like DamonVile said. That would end up being a novel and getting "TLDR" kind of response.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Would really prefer this to be a small-scale multiplayer game instead, actually.

The MMO component of Haven & Hearth always felt like it was the #1 shortcoming of the game (because it was directly responsible for the game's attrocious performance issues.)

Don't Starve is basically singleplayer Haven & Hearth, and incredibly higher quality, but at the same time it lacks some of the advantages H&H's multiplayer component added (stumbling onto random player settlements and seeing how they built things.)

But like most types of games, while the gameplay difference between Singleplayer Only and Multiplayer is huge, the difference between Multiplayer and MMO isn't.  Meanwhile the implementation costs continue increasing dramatically to make an MMO.  So small-scale multiplayer is usually the sweet spot.

If TUG manages to be an MMO, an extremely flexible sandbox, a 3D game, and (most importantly) have fun moment-to-moment gameplay, then they'll have accomplished something unexpected.  I may give it a try if it releases and ends up looking fun, but I would definitely prefer a gameplay-focused small-scale multiplayer sandbox in the style of Don't Starve where moment-to-moment gameplay is a blast and there's fun cooperation to achieve difficult goals, and we'll likely all die.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

My interest (after checking out the links) is Low to Very Low. Nothing really grabbed my interest and it appears no where near the MMORPG of my dreams..  

I wish all involved the best of luck

Originally posted by Axehilt

-snipped for focus-

If TUG manages to be an MMO, an extremely flexible sandbox, a 3D game, and (most importantly) have fun moment-to-moment gameplay, then they'll have accomplished something unexpected.  I may give it a try if it releases and ends up looking fun, but I would definitely prefer a gameplay-focused small-scale multiplayer sandbox in the style of Don't Starve where moment-to-moment gameplay is a blast and there's fun cooperation to achieve difficult goals, and we'll likely all die.

Definitely. I had many lolz in games like what you are describing with my friends as well, namely MC. Personally i wish that game had been just a bit better graphic wise and a bit harder but yeah i feel ya. Still, wasnt bad.

During that one conversation i had with the friend (the one posted above) me and her were going back and forth on the advantages of being a huge server mmo vs a small server based (aka you and your friends) type. I personally preferred the option to bump into others (larger mmo) as it allows more potential to RP. She preferred a much smaller group server as it was easier to manage.

Apparently Tug is trying to do both with mmo (their servers) and private (you and your bud hosting)

• Total Freedom: We want you to play the game however you like, whether that’s alone, on a private server with your friends, or on a server we host. We won’t limit the type of game you want to play, and we’ll find a way for everyone to enjoy the world we’re building, however and with whoever they want.
    Though it remains to be seen about the difficulty. I personally do hope it has challenge, especially as a survival based mmo.

I'll definitely put in my two cents on their forums when they let us alpha on that one, you can guarantee that. Lol

Originally posted by Theodwulf

My interest (after checking out the links) is Low to Very Low. Nothing really grabbed my interest and it appears no where near the MMORPG of my dreams..  

I wish all involved the best of luck

Thanks man! Yeah it wont be for everyone :p

Edit:I added a video for those that prefer that to the sites.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    I checked this out in another thread.  While it did grab my interest, I was *not* left with the impression that this would be an MMO.  Is there any clarification of their multiplayer system on their site that identifies it as such?
    Originally posted by redcapp
    I checked this out in another thread.  While it did grab my interest, I was *not* left with the impression that this would be an MMO.  Is there any clarification of their multiplayer system on their site that identifies it as such?

" We want you to play the game however you like, whether that’s alone, on a private server with your friends, or on a server we host. We won’t limit the type of game you want to play, and we’ll find a way for everyone to enjoy the world we’re building, however and with whoever they want."

Its on the page if you read it.. after some talking with them, they are going to have servers, but they are going to let people host their own, plus you can play offline if you wish too, for those people that dont want anyone else around.

9 days left, almost there. There has been alot of information posted in the updates section of the page. I recommend reading through it all, it is very good.

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314

I finally took a look at it from home, forgot about it til you bumped it. Looks intriguing, like a next gen minecraft (never played it), but I'm mostly interested in combat gameplay, general gameplay, and unique characters... like, actually unique, not what you would call unique. I don't really see much showcasing any of that. Appearance isn't my priority but I'm not in love with it, the music made me feel like I was looking at a 32 bit, two dimensional game >.< and yeah... didn't feel it in general.

I'd love to be involved in a game where the developers listened to me... but not most other players... ain't that the problem?, I don't agree with most players hyper simplified and galvanized agendas, and I have no assurance that the developers will adhere to the few good ideas out there, and not the majority of bad ideas from gamers... or even themselves.

I hope it turns out well, but personally, I couldn't get into a kickstarter like this one. I'd have to see a showcase and commitment to several specific priorities I require in a game in order to pledge money. And in the long run I would probably withhold my money until I saw that it was plausible to succeed in making a game. Hopefully kickstarters become more successful and start spawning stronger showings in the future, for now the best I can offer is Good Luck :-]

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• EverwestEverwest Member Posts: 75
    Looks like they've already done a significant amount of development, have a robust team, and the concept looks really neat.  I hope they hit their goal.  Sorry people are you giving you crap about it.  A lot of people here have a visceral aversion to KS without even really looking to see what the stage of completion is like and consider how much work has already gone into the project.
    Originally posted by Everwest
    Looks like they've already done a significant amount of development, have a robust team, and the concept looks really neat.  I hope they hit their goal.  Sorry people are you giving you crap about it.  A lot of people here have a visceral aversion to KS without even really looking to see what the stage of completion is like and consider how much work has already gone into the project.

It's alright. They have a right to voice their opinions, i just wish they were a bit more open minded about it. But i cant blame them after getting smacked in the face by a bunch of ks. But in all reality, logic would ask, where else would people advertise it? These kickstarter guys dont have an advertising team, they arent going through publishers so they cant have one.

@BahumutKaiser. Thats the thing man. The whole reason they are going through KS is so they can get funded to make more of the game. They cant do what previous games can do and rely on publishers. Heaven knows if they did that this game would instantly switch to being a wow clone due to the bean pushers at a publisher not getting it. These guys can only do so much on their on buck.  But i respect you opinion. ITs just that KS is a different way of developing that your traditional gaming experience, they wont have too much up at the front.

In my humble opinion this is our chance to tell those publishers we dont need them.. and we can create a game by working together. These guys are sitting on a gold mine if they get this game going.

I really don't care about the stage of completion, nor how much work has already gone into the project. I pay for ready-to-play games, not a half-finished hope.

Then I hope you're not one of those who is always complaining about the state of MMO's today, because all you're going to get is more of the same.
    Then I hope you're not one of those who is always complaining about the state of MMO's today, because all you're going to get is more of the same.

Oh of course not. And what "more of the same"? The variety is staggering.

I can play:

STO - only star trek game out there

TSW - modern conspiracy setting .. find me another one?

WoT/Mechwarrior Online - instanced pvp games

marvel heroes - an MMO take on Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Defiance - tie in to TV

.. and there are ARPGs, MOBAs, D&D based MMOs ....

There are so many new developments that my only issue is not enough time to enjoy all these entertainment.

Plus, i am not preventing other suckers to fund KS. If by some miracle, KS does result into new games, i am sure i can buy a copy then.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

You are working on the tenuously-supported belief that this Kickstarted MMO, or any other Kickstarted MMO will be completed and will meet your expectations of it. ;)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

I can play:

Defiance - tie in to TV

There are so many new developments that my only issue is not enough time to enjoy all these entertainment.

Plus, i am not preventing other suckers to fund KS. If by some miracle, KS does result into new games, i am sure i can buy a copy then.

Most of those are basically the same game with a different theme.  To me, slapping a new world on the same WoW-based gameplay is "more of the same."  Hardly a "staggering variety."  One look at this game should tell you that it differs significantly from other games on the market.  It's more like Minecraft than anything, and quite a bit more sophisticated than that.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

You are working on the tenuously-supported belief that this Kickstarted MMO, or any other Kickstarted MMO will be completed and will meet your expectations of it. ;)

Not at all.  There's always a risk of failure.  But there's a risk of dying horribly every time you get into a motor vehicle.  Do you walk everywhere?  Well, there's always a risk that you'll get shot or mugged while walking, too.  It's a risky world out there, but it's fallacious to think that just because something could go wrong we should never try to do anything. 

If a project doesn't interest you, don't back it.  If you're so paranoid that you might pledge $10-50 and it might not be worth the money, don't back it (even though you probably waste more money than that in a month on other crap that disappoints you). 

My issue is with the people that assume that Kickstarting any MMO is a sucker's game. 

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Interesting stuff, thanks for the link.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

I can play:

Defiance - tie in to TV

Most of those are basically the same game with a different theme.  To me, slapping a new world on the same WoW-based gameplay is "more of the same."  Hardly a "staggering variety."  One look at this game should tell you that it differs significantly from other games on the market.  It's more like Minecraft than anything, and quite a bit more sophisticated than that.

Different theme is different. And you are discounting the different mechanics. If driving a star ship is the same as running a fantasy wizard avatar, then the notion of the "same game" loses all its meaning.

And if that is the same for you .. may be you should go back to play pong. All games are played on a video screen, they are all the "same".