Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am now worried about Archeage.

2»

Comments

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by BrownAle
    Called it long ago when I saw Korean videos of the game.

Its a linear themepark with Farmville and instanced sieges.

Might have a better themepark endgame than most given sieges and clan politics is the best type of endgame imo merging pve and pve

however, I stopped paying attention to the game after watching a Korean questhubbing for 15min and was called a troll for suggesting the game isn't a sandbox in any way.

given the hype being created for the game in the name of a sandbox, like wushu, its just going to disappoint people who know what a sandbox is and expect that.

This is why Trion needs to get going with a little PR, the mis-information from this poster and other like him is nauseating, and people start to actually believe in this sort of stuff.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by BrownAle

Called it long ago when I saw Korean videos of the game.

Its a linear themepark with Farmville and instanced sieges.

Might have a better themepark endgame than most given sieges and clan politics is the best type of endgame imo merging pve and pve

however, I stopped paying attention to the game after watching a Korean questhubbing for 15min and was called a troll for suggesting the game isn't a sandbox in any way.

given the hype being created for the game in the name of a sandbox, like wushu, its just going to disappoint people who know what a sandbox is and expect that.

Do you actually understand what this threads about?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Kumapon

Originally posted by Wizardry
    Well i was never a big Trion fan,so i guess i also worried about Archeage just for a different reason.

Here is the thing that is happening as of right now withTrion and this game.

ZERO marketing,this in the day and age where many are complaining of the massive amount of marketing in their face.

Second thing is we have begin to see some ideas we might not like,Trion has the power to make changes,they are doing that as of right now.

My point is if this game does not come out the way people want,you can partly blame Trion,they have the power to hold this up for changes.So far the only changes is in character customization,this is what Trion considered an important change,i hardly share that sentiment.

I simply do not think Trion is a very good developer and as a publisher i have seen nothing to change my feeling.Remember their number one hit RIFT,the game they needed to make right?They gimmicked the Beta it was nothing but very limited testing and they released the game immediately after Beta,so they took no time to work with feedback at all.Then when they did launch they did not have enough room ,that after a very successful beta that showed a high level of interest,they SHOULD have been better prepared.

I bet more of the same come time for AA,you watch 4 Beta weekends,then an immediate release.

I have to agree with you there. The issue is not with players like us however, it's with the masses they will want to attract to play their game. Trion is spreading themselves quite thin. We don't even get regular updates (or any) on End of Nations, a game they said they were working on how long ago (last blog post on EoN official site was 11.18.12 lol)?

We know what they did to their Rift staff and we know how poorly Defiance launched but is being worked on yadda yadda. I'm not sure they're entirely up for all the tasks they take on.

At the very least their marketing and/or PR departments are severely understaffed because not enough people care about these games right now or are even aware of them. ArcheAge doesn't even seem like a game coming out in 2014, but they want to have this out by the end of the year? I don't see it being popular without a little help from them.

It was a feeling I had when I first heard about the Heroes of Telara many years ago which became Rift after finding out a new start up company was making two games and publishing one , how are they going to manage that. CCP showed us that even a successful company could over stretch themselves with trying to make two games at once. I think End of Nations is gone unless Rift f2p is a storming image success and they turn Defiance around, same with Archeage. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

haha i saw flames about every single company now, so which company would you even trust to handout archeage.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

It's all going to be okay in the end I think. MMO's ; like every single damn one of them, have problems.

It will be down to the teams involved & the ongoing development & patch deployment to swiftly deal with issues as they arise once the game is live (though a quality beta-testing will help a lot).

Now I don't know how good XL games are at addressing issues & swiftly fixing them, but TRION have an excellent reputation for that, so even if TRION aren't doing the coding or the processes around it they are at least in an extremely knowledgeable position to offer the best help & support.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Im more worried about AA ruining Trions reputation not the other way around.

First of all, most people I talk to in my sandbox games cant wait for it...because its a sandbox.  AA isn't a sandbox and they seem to not believe me when I say you will be quest hubbing linear storylines in that game.  The Farmville section doesn't make a game a sandbox.

Also most expect AA to be some godsend game. Its a typical Korean themepark.  Much like everyone though Aion would revolutionize the game industry people have hyped this game up as the Korean game that will break into the NA/EU market and topple the big players here. 

I think AA will be a good game, and ill certainly play it, just don't expect anything more than a linear themepark with Farmville and instanced sieges.

With that, Rift was a good game.  No one will argue that Trion did poorly with that game and its why they have a good reputation.  Yeah most are burned out on cloneparks and only hype them play them for a month then move on, few stick around.  Rift is a victim of this.  Trions done wonderful things with the game and I wish I was able to play that type of game more than a few months because of it.

With defiance, well, its buy to play.  You can only produce so many DLC packs and charge so much for them (what like $5-$12 per?) does it make sense to have a full development team on staff to produce a few $15 DLC packs a year?  Reducing overhead makes sense doesn't it....no matter how good the game is doing (and I think quite well considering the Xbox sales ect)

I think GW2 had this same effect.  Revenue peaked.  No way in hell would GW2 sell even a half of its launch boxes on a full prioced expansion, which is why they have yet to try.  Doesn't make sense really.  Add a few free updates, have the interns make a lulzy 8bit content patch...no point going full steam making the promised $60 expansions every 6 months when they wont get a fraction of the launch playerbase to buy it.

Buy 2 play isn't a good business model for a mmorpg imo for these reasons.

Anyway. I still look forward to the game, though cats out of the bag so to speak on what the game really is.  Don't expect the next big game from it, it wont be a bad game but it certainly wont be what most expect it to be...which is the problem.  Good thing it will probably be f2p so its success will remain murky and hidden.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by 4Renziks
    Defiance fail

I don't know what facts you have to justify this statement.

Defiance seems to be doing okay to me. Defiance must have been doing okay and taking it's share of the TPS market if APB is now feeling the pressure and release more new stuff last 2 months compare to what they've been doing the last 2 years.

The best judge of how good a game is doing is to look at the reaction of the competitors of the SAME genre, NOT against games of different genre.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Its a tough climate right now for game development and entertainment in general.

Trion is doing rather well, and I don't think their failures as of recent will effect ArcheAge's future.  However, I could just be optimistic.

while this may be optimistic i think the overall assessment Laughing-Man makes is correct (how can you disagree with the Laughing Man?!)

the economy has been in the shitter for over 5 years now. everybody is taking a hit and i can imagine that entertainment is one of the things to get hit the hardest considering there are so many entertainment options. unlike in the Great Depression where the movie industry took off because there were fewer options.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

sorry if that let upu dpwn but im not impressed, all companny not even gaming are having a hard time nowdays since the last few years till this day .

its even happening to blizzard tho and more  money are gonna drop in the coming years for companys nothing new.