Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Cathar, Update 2.1 & Free To Play

13»

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by sarabicery

Freeloaders should be given a "gate" and beyond that you have to help financially support the game in someway. Otherwise, you are here for my entertainment and you better start entertaining me.

Age of Wushu Gold | Buy RS Gold

They can gate in expansion content, character slots, cosmetic stuff, convinience potions, etc. You know.... like Turbine, Funcom and ArenaNet are doing for example?

Those Companies make a ton of Money on cosmetic outfits and Mounts alone, not even counting XP potions and the like.

Locking out basic User Interface features, like the ability to hide your friggin' helmet or extra shortcut bars and charging Money for it is Beyond idiocy and a Whole New Level of greed and Money grabbing practices!

It makes Companies like gPotato and PWE almost look like Saints compared to what EA tries to do With SW:TOR!

But hey! It's EA! It's all in the game right.... lol /facepalm

• Merciless_MingMerciless_Ming Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

SWTOR Free to Play is hands down worst F2P implementation seen today.

Free players hit brick wall as soon as lvl 16. They will be under leveled for regular progress. Even their skill bar is so limited it can not hold all class skills.

From there on its either huge frustration or paying to play

I couldn't disagree more.  When I was a subscriber in the game's early months, I found that I was constantly over-leveled for content.  I would come to a new planet near the top end of its level range.  Missions rarely provided challenge because they were green when I got them.  Bonus Series missions?  Ha!  Only the die hard completionists did those.

To me, the reduced rate (75%) is the perfect pace.  They should have released the game at this xp rate, IMO.  The standard rate, plus rested xp, plus xp buffs, it's too much.

• DaedalEVEDaedalEVE Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by BlueTiger33
    Originally posted by Methos12
    I just hope all these future "quality of life" improvements won't depend exclusively on how many Cartel Points you have.

I actually do. Freeloaders should be given a "gate" and beyond that you have to help financially support the game in someway. Otherwise, you are here for my entertainment and you better start entertaining me.

Agreed 100%. I've been a subscriber since launch, meaning I've been paying the bills for many of the freeloaders out there (you are welcome). I honestly feel that gating people the way they are is perfectly fair. Of course the ones who don't like the F2P implementation are the people who don't pay, and who don't want to pay, because they somehow feel that they are entitled to everything for free, or feel they are being ripped off in some way. 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Merciless_Ming
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

SWTOR Free to Play is hands down worst F2P implementation seen today.

Free players hit brick wall as soon as lvl 16. They will be under leveled for regular progress. Even their skill bar is so limited it can not hold all class skills.

From there on its either huge frustration or paying to play

I couldn't disagree more.  When I was a subscriber in the game's early months, I found that I was constantly over-leveled for content.  I would come to a new planet near the top end of its level range.  Missions rarely provided challenge because they were green when I got them.  Bonus Series missions?  Ha!  Only the die hard completionists did those.

To me, the reduced rate (75%) is the perfect pace.  They should have released the game at this xp rate, IMO.  The standard rate, plus rested xp, plus xp buffs, it's too much.

That's a downright lie. Unless you do every single Group mission, run lots of Space missions and do several instances.... then yes you can outlevel content easy.

But that you will have With any decent MMO these days.

Back last year when I was playing SW:TOR 2-3 months after release when I rerolled and the population had dwindled, I had to focus solely on my personal storyline and single player missions, as it was nearly impossible to find People for the Group missions.

I actually had to run a ton of Space missions to make enough XP to move through the various zones and planets and overcome the Level gaps post Level 16.

• AridArid Member UncommonPosts: 14
    It's an expansion that was set after they went free to play. You wanting everything to be unlocked for F2P players is just pretty silly if you ask me, How will they make any money other then asking f2p to go onto the Cartel Market/ 'sides. It's like 20 bucks for the expansion or 10 for subs. Not a big deal
  • Maverick827Maverick827 Member Posts: 71
    I can't believe how many people are just baffled by the "unfamiliar race" comment. Obviously players are familiar enough to know that they exist: there have been Cathar NPCs since the start. I had not heard of the Cathar before playing SWTOR. They were and still are relatively unfamiliar to me, at least compared to some of the more popular Star Wars races, but they intrigue me and I would like to play one. How is this a paradox to some of you?
  • MaakuMaaku Member Posts: 90

Love the new changes to F2P, love the cathar, love the whole damn game! Way to go! I'll be online the second this patch goes live ((Which it is right now, kinda. 3 more hours)).

Quick note on F2P as well, I played it until level 40'ish on 2 characters and I really didn't feel diminished much. Most of the community in game is really cool and you wont have to do anything alone. But ya, after spending so much time in there, I finally subscribed again. Really an amazing game!

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Free to play!? i dont think so...its free to login, after that you even have to pay to give a fart...

Beta tester maniac

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I resubed because it was simply easier than dealing with the restrictions. As I'm not subbing to anything else right now I don't mind. I'm enjoying playing again leveling a couple of ACs I never played before but I'm sure I will be bored in a couple of months... then I will just move on again.
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by berlight
    Free to play!? i dont think so...its free to login, after that you even have to pay to give a fart...

exactly :)

• ajax7ajax7 Member Posts: 363

I have been playing Since the SWTOR was released and all I have to say  is the game has improved a lot sometimes not as fast as I would like but they have made a impact.

I still want pod racing, card playing and another planet where guilds can build cities like SWG.

The pvp is better than most games I find it really fun and I pvp in warzones daily. I have gotten my pvp skills from noob to SLAYER as I was attacked by two Republic players in X-zone on Belsavis and crushed them and their companions you don't know how sweet that felt.

Those F2P players that complain I would suggest getting and paying for a sub for two moths and see how huge a difference that makes! The game is only going to get better. Just think of the new space combat they are working on it may be similar to what SWG had.

All I can say is this game is just as good as EQ2, WoW, Conan but it still has a ways to go to get to SWG level of openess.

Thanks

Ajax

• ksternalksternal Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Calling it free to play is a absolute joke when other games like Star Trek Online is fully free to play. You only get your pinky wet in this game before you have to wait another week to do the stuff you want.  But what do people expect thou, They dropped more money into this game then any other and they want to bleed every penny out of your wallet/purse to be able to do really anything.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    After the parting words of EAs now former CEO, there is nothing they can say about SWTOR that is going to hide the fact that it isn't doing well.

I mean come on, you have a guy forced out of his position for lieing to share holders and then commenting on how SWTOR doing so poorly was the reason for his departure.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    After the parting words of EAs now former CEO, there is nothing they can say about SWTOR that is going to hide the fact that it isn't doing well.

I mean come on, you have a guy forced out of his position for lieing to share holders and then commenting on how SWTOR doing so poorly was the reason for his departure.

Im sorry but no, you are wrong, Swtor is doing great, you should learn to live with that.

• RogooRogoo Member Posts: 6

Why can't those incompetent people fix their bloody mess of an engine before posting more useless crap to Cartel Market ?

Playing Warzones at 15 frames per second isn't nowehere near acceptable.

• ShelvinarrShelvinarr Member UncommonPosts: 89
    "PvP is thriving" -- What PvP? Hutt-ball? Are you serious? Ain't nobody got time fo that!
  • Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    WORST Free To Play MMO ever. And by that I mean, it was a fun game when it first came out and I was a subscriber. Then after 2 level 50 characters and a bunch of PVP I got bored - just like most people do with most MMOs. So I canceled (like most people). Then the game went free to play. But now there are SEVERAL good FTP games - GW2, Neverwinter, TERA, The Secret World, and soon-to-be Rift. Of course some of these you have to buy the game first but there are no monthly fees. I paid freakin $150 for SWTOR. If I hadn't been in the closed beta for 5 months before release I would have thought it a waste (especially since my Darth Malgus statue came broken and there was no way to exchange it). Anyway, SWTOR has more restrictions - and STUPID, POINTLESS restrictions - than every other FTP MMO combined. I mean, you have to PAY to be able to hide your helmet? Give me a break. I was so excited for this game for SOO long...and I thoroughly enjoyed the beta and even paying monthly for a few months. But I guess unfortunately SWTOR came out at a bad time - during the transition from sub to free (for the most part) in the MMO market - they tried to adapt but failed. Their egos were too big. And as much as I love Star War and loved this game, I hope it fails. I hope it crashes and burns. I hope it is slowly digested in the Sarlaac's belly for the next 10,000 years. That is all. 
  • XsonicXsonic Member UncommonPosts: 93
    I gotta meet somebody that has been playing SWTOR as F2P since it launched : / I wonder if it's as bad as the majority describes it.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Xsonic
    I gotta meet somebody that has been playing SWTOR as F2P since it launched : / I wonder if it's as bad as the majority describes it.

it is possible to play as f2p without spending a dime in the game, i do so, in eu red eclipse server. it is horrible to play with only 2 quickabr after level 30 with certain classes, people even tell me "you don't need more than 1 quickbar to heal"  but i am not spending all of my time in FP and in open world i have to solo a lot, quick bar restriction is one of the worst thing about this game. but as i have said i made it without spending a dime, i bought one quick bar extension(character only) for 150K, then at level 50 i bought another this time 100K. after 3 months passed prices of quickbar extension dropped and i bought accnt wide unlock for 80k each. now comes the gear restriction, i never did any HM fp before i bought artifact gear unlock, the character only unlock still cost around 300K,  f2p only has 200K but my guild leader was nice enough to help me get one and i paid him back through cash on delivery in installment of 150K. after 3 month price of accnt wide unlock dropped to 600K from 1.5 mil and i bought it with help of my guild leader. as for fp,wz,ops limit : the prices of pass were too much and i couldn't even do any ops before this february, took this long for the prices to be under 100K. overall : yes you can play as f2p but just like any other f2p games, you have to slave yourself to play with a little ease. i stopped playing since the so called expansion launch though. so can't tell you about the current condition. and swtor is also the 1st f2p game i have played for such long while slaving myself to grind for cash shop item. not going to do the same for any other game. the only f2p game that i played for as long as this one is dcuo before soe decided that money is more important than banning players who used "instagib" hack in pvp.    

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• RadakillRadakill Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Thanks for all the feedback on the F2P, I was going to DL the game today and try it out but with such negative feedback I think Ill wait until they loosen the restrictions.
  • dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

there r more restrictions if yu wanna do battlegrounds pvp more thn 5 times/week pay up

more thn 1 crew skill(and crafting skills need the correspondent gatherin skill or yull ave to get evrything frm galactic market) pay up/grind up the money to get the pass from galactic market

want 2 be able to send stuff thru mail same thing pay up

want to get all exp earned after lvl 10? thn pay up n so on

yu want to equip tht sin y new artifact loot tht dropped thn  pay up

it is possible to play as free but they made it so frustrating many end up payin either sub or gettin cartel coins