Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I wish they would make last names optional -_-

SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
Any idea if they are going to make last names optional? I can never think of a last name I like to go with the first name I plan to use, it just seems akward to me. Think they will include an option to just not use it? I hated sending whispers in ff14 1.0 to people due to how damned long some peoples names were. I mean it'd be nice if it was an option.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Comments

• c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    I agree the last names need to go
  • skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

oh there is last names...arg :/

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

I actually think they're kinda interesting, from a lore perspective.  And they really do fit with the game.  FF hasn't had single-named protagonists since FF3 on the original NES.

It wasn't Cloud, it was Cloud Strife.  It wasn't Edgar.  It was Edgar Roni Figaro.  The list goes on.

The only real question is whether it just becomes stupid, when exposed to MMO players.  I have a vague sense that we're going to see a lot of stupid and/or juvenile names which don't really serve the lore at all.

Or maybe we won't.  Sub game, after all, in a F2P era.  Will drive away a lot of people who aren't really committed to the franchise.

Am I the only one who read the official lore entry on naming your character and plans to abide by it? :(

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Siveria
    Any idea if they are going to make last names optional? I can never think of a last name I like to go with the first name I plan to use, it just seems akward to me. Think they will include an option to just not use it? I hated sending whispers in ff14 1.0 to people due to how damned long some peoples names were. I mean it'd be nice if it was an option.

Normally I would agree with you.

Actually I do agree with you.

However, I once was forced to pick a last name in a game and just "fell" into one.

So, think of the last name as being just another accessory to your first name. Find one you think is cool and stick it on every character.

This way you don't have to flounder for one. Worked for me. heck, if it's difficult just recall some of your favorite characters in books/movies to get inspired.

Two of my favorite characters (from the same book series) are Mavra Chang and Nathan Brazil.

Those names always felt right.  So your last name can have a sort of "right" feel as well if you want it to.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Honestly, last names make perfect sense to me from a more 'realistic' standpoint. That being said, it would be nice that there was an option for nicknames to use, just to promote the concept of a character maybe taking one up instead of giving their real name out all the time.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Siveria

I'm actually fine with last names.  That means if your normal name is taken, you can still use it by adding a different last name.  At least that has worked that way in several games so far.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    I would think MMOs have bigger issues than naming conventions but I'm probably wrong.
  • KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

Well, here's my perspective.

FFXIV is going to have good gameplay, I think.

Good, but neither great or revolutionary.  From what we've seen and heard so far, the basic combat mechanics and dungeon design will probably be solid and fun, but they won't knock your socks off or change your life.  It's going to have well-executed tab target, hotkey-based holy trinity combat, with dungeon encounters achieving variety through the use of a few interesting mechanics for each boss.  But y'know?  We've all played that game before.

Your enjoyment of this game, I think, will be predicated to a large extent on your ability to truly immerse yourself into the world.

That's the part of this game that is truly great rather than good.  Notice that they didn't just update the gameplay and force it into a blah world.  They completely redid the world design, and most people are very pleased with the results so far.  And even in 1.0, they had a really detailed story with tons of cinematics (by MMO standards, at least), so I'm betting we'll have one here too.

That's why I'm really paying attention to lore this time around, and why I'm very pleased by their attention to it.  This game isn't going to be a fix for those looking for awesome 20+ man progression raiding or hardcore high-risk leveling.  The people who FFXIV will please are those who mainly just want to enjoy the world and community, who are willing to accept good-enough for certain aspects of gameplay.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    I dunno, they kinda wowifiy the game and make leveling trivial, compared to 1.0.. then again leveling was much to fast in 1.0. I usually use the last name Starfire, so Siveria Starfire for example, my best friend thinks my last name is stupid though lol.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• JakeBlackJakeBlack Member Posts: 8
    hmmm i dont like this 1st and lastname deal. Might be the game breaker for me.
  • DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    I bet some peaple will just use there RL name, can't be simpler than that. Sux for privacy though