Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nice to see some FFXIV love!

BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Nice to see FFXIV trending on MMORPG.com, big upswing in popularity.

I think a great many on this site don't know or don't care ARR is pretty much a completely new game.

I know I skipped 1.0 due to all the really negative things that leaked out and the bad reviews, but ARR is really shaping up nicely (so it appears) and I can't wait for more info to be released during/following CBT3.

Hopefully SE is kind enough to let me into CBT3!

A major re-release like this is pretty historic in the genre, just hope the game lives up to the expectations. YoshiP is certainly a much loved developer these days, but I urge caution due to how many of us might remember how we felt about Paul B and Mark Jacobs and the final product that was WAR.

Anyways, just nice to see some positive words on these forums for once, hopefully as more info is revealed and we get NDA drops and closer to release etc. all the positivity surrounding this game on these forums isn't drowned out by the usual negative chatter.

Comments

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

Hard effort to recover gamers trust is always welcome, i am tired of companies that dont care to fail if they sold enough or didnt lose too much. Square had the guts to waste probably more than double of their first try money to recover this title from totall fail to... (Time will decide if decent game, success or game of year.)

when someone tries so hard to get your forgiveness with facts instead of words, deserves at least a second chance.

• shellbelle2shellbelle2 Member UncommonPosts: 12
      Well I was one of the people that spent my money on this game LAST time it came out and it was a total fail.  They got me on that one...I think they are heading in the right direction this time and actually listening to gamers (MMO players) and doing what they should have the first time.   They are all in on this project now and so far behind on making this profitable if at all but I commend them for the effort and will try this one out as well.
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

They should have call it FF XV because there are so many idiots refering to v 1.0 fail and bash ARR because of it ...

ARR is different game.

p.s.: I cant wait to finally play ARR open beta ... already prepared my gf so she dont get mad about neglecting her for few weeks xD

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by khameleon
    [mod edit]

I just want to point out a couple of things:

- I can't think of a game developer that has remade 90% of their game from scratch in two years.  They created a brand new server infrastructure, netcode and a totally different graphics engine.  This isn't something to just casually brush off.

- The game isn't held back by the PS3 version.  It was developed for PC and ported to PS3.  The PC version is going to look as good as it possibly can while being downscaled to work on the PS3.

With that said, I too am glad that this game is getting more attention as it gets closer to launch.  Phase 3 beta is slated to start in early June.  The NDA is supposed to come down sometime within that time period, so we're going to see many more impressions about the game around then, as well as some streaming.  Coupled with gamer perspectives and SE ramping up their advertising for the game, I think it's going to start generating some buzz within the next month or so.

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

They cant let a Final Fantasy numbered title to fail so much, if this new one take a decent aceptation, in 10 years, Final Fantasy XIV will be ARR, and not 1.0.

"FF14 was a MMO with a bad launch but they fix it later"  

This is their goal.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I love that they're putting in work to try and save their brand and product unlike almost every other mmo that has flopped.  Their is no doubt ARR is much better than 1.0, I'm just not happy with the direction they've taken it.  ARR is simply too similar to WoW for me to enjoy it.

I just don't see who this game will appeal to beyond:

1) FF fan who don't mind that it has none of FFXI's hardcore elements.

2) People who like theme parks but aren't heavily invested in WoW/Rift/SWTOR.

That said, if SE can prove me wrong and release something that's wildly popular I won't feel bad.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by khameleon
    [mod edit]

This is exactly what i want.

Plenty of other games that are doing the innovation thing, with FFXIV I just want a solid game that has a definite FF feel to it.

If things were had my way, i'd have gotten a reskinned, updated FF11.

Some games i want new things from, but for FF and Zelda, give me a new twist on an old goodie and i'm perfectly happy.

I'm not limited to one mmo, and i dont have that specific of a taste to only want one kind of mmo.

I really hope this is for me. We'll see in a couple weeks ^^

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Yea i dont see a problem with traditional style combat. as mentioned above everybody is attempting something "innovative" these days and i dont think any have pulled it off well enough. Bring back the trinity I say, It works.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

I've got the CE for 1.0 sitting on a shelf in my office. I played 1.0 for a couple weeks before the buyers crushed my FF spirit.

Having said that, I am extremely optimistic about this game. SE is doing something for the players as well as their brand. I look at this game as an olive branch of sorts. I was very pleased that they are allowing 1.0 CE purchasers into beta along with some digital goodies at launch. It's not The most anticipated MMO on my list, but it sure does look good & should   at least keep me occupied until TESO or EQNext come along.

As it stands now, I'll be making a camp in FFXIV.

BTW, any Linkshells recruiting slightly aged, fairly mature MMO vets?

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Keep hearing about the goodies 1.0 and CE holders get at launch, anyone have any idea what they are?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

To be honest, FFXI's gameplay wasn't perfect.  I don't think it's some gold standard FFXIV should be held to.

Enforced grouping has its downsides.

I didn't enjoy sitting there and waiting for long periods for people to come level with me.  Even when I ran my own groups, which I almost always did, sometimes I'd hit a wall where there was literally nobody available who wasn't already in a group to fill certain group roles.  And I played a tank myself, so I wasn't just waiting for other people to do the heavy lifting for me.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not insulting FFXI.  I still think it was a good game, and it was certainly beloved by a very devoted fanbase.

My larger point is that the results of FFXI's design choices weren't all positive.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

After the catastrophic disaster this game has been,I'll be poking it with a long stick after ARR is released before I even think of joining in.

that said,It'd be cool to see them rebound and salvage the game into something good.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

FF for me always created that special world with great story and combat.
    I know it aint turn based anymore, and thats where my only concern lies.
    ive played plenty of mmo's and only a few of those had that direct push hotkey and cast / attack without a strange kind of lag/delay attached to it.

WoW nailed it down perfectly in that regard, GW1/2 also, never played a FF mmo so i have no idea how smooth and fast paced combat realy is.
    You can watch hundreds of youtube vids and still cant detect if its yay or nay :)

There are even players who wont even detect this kind of stuff much in a way people claim 30 fps and above cant be noticed, while many gamers will even notive a 60 to 120 fps :)
    I just hope combat in FF ARR hits the sweet spot ^^

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

Do you have any kind of current video footage of ARR?

I remember seeing something about it like a month or two ago and it was nothing outside of a traditional MMO... Like nothing.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

FFXIV getting lots of love on Massively's poll of "what is your top upcoming Fantasy MMO of 2013?"

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/20/leaderboard-which-upcoming-fantasy-mmo-are-you-looking-forward/#continued

Beating out TESO and AA.

• To this day, I STILL play FFXI for a month or two before taking a break and have been playing since NA launch way back when.  It was my very first MMO if I remember correctly, and I still have friends who play to this day.

That said, I was very much disappointed in some of the systems FFXIV made use of (loss of AH and retainers only, leves being only 8 a day?!) but I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far from the relaunch.  I have my CE of 1.0 sitting here, and I'll be one of the first ones back to try things out when it comes.  Hopefully I'll get into CBT3.