Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are the moderators aware there has been a partial NDA lift?

amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

I'm guessing not.

I made a comment on an article stating simply that I didn't like certain aspects of the city and such and it was deleted and I got a warning for it (I didn't even go into detail), I can understand that if the NDA was fully in place still or I commented on open world things or something in detail but I didn't.

Giving people an official warning when they either don't know the situation with the NDA or are trying to delete anything that isn't positive for a site of this calibre is pretty silly in my opinion.

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by amber-r

I'm guessing not.

I made a comment on an article stating simply that I didn't like certain aspects of the city and such and it was deleted and I got a warning for it (I didn't even go into detail), I can understand that if the NDA was fully in place still or I commented on open world things or something in detail but I didn't.

Giving people an official warning when they either don't know the situation with the NDA or are trying to delete anything that isn't positive for a site of this calibre is pretty silly in my opinion.

I believe the temporary lift of the NDA (pertaining to Gridania and character creation) was only for the duration of the Nico Nico event.  At least, that's what they said when making the exception.  I've yet to read anything that indicates one way or the other, so I think many are just being cautious with allowing such information being displayed henceforth and until the entire NDA is lifted.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

I'm guessing not.

I believe the temporary lift of the NDA (pertaining to Gridania and character creation) was only for the duration of the Nico Nico event.  At least, that's what they said when making the exception.  I've yet to read anything that indicates one way or the other, so I think many are just being cautious with allowing such information being displayed henceforth and until the entire NDA is lifted.

That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard of. So, they dropped the NDA for specific parts of the beta for a specific time period? I  completely understand the restrictions on WHAT you can talk about, but if I talked about it when it was allowed that information is already out there. It's dumb and pointless to try and restrict it after that. 

Originally posted by simsalabim77

I'm guessing not.

That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard of. So, they dropped the NDA for specific parts of the beta for a specific time period? I  completely understand the restrictions on WHAT you can talk about, but if I talked about it when it was allowed that information is already out there. It's dumb and pointless to try and restrict it after that. 

It'd be relatively easy to point to a post made by someone else on the internet to prove that it was previously mentioned when it was allowed.  Though as I said before, they really haven't made it clear if it's still lifted or not (that I know of) at present (most likely due to the language barrier).   What they did make relatively clear back then was that the lift was temporary and for the duration of that event (which may be a problem of translation again and subject to something else they said thereafter which may not have been translated by the community).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234
    totally agree, one the NDA is lifted for a portion of the game, is lifted forever. You cant go and search for these websites with news about these topic and ask them now to close some news. Once is lifted, is lifted forever. 
    Originally posted by Ralstlin
    totally agree, one the NDA is lifted for a portion of the game, is lifted forever. You cant go and search for these websites with news about these topic and ask them now to close some news. Once is lifted, is lifted forever. 

Except that that isn't the reality of the matter when you have to deal with legalities (or in this case fear of such).  We could very well talk amongst each other outside of forums about things that were "lifted" and have no repercussions.  Though many sites will just as soon be safe than sorry and adhere to the NDA rather than endure any legal ramifications or notifications.  As a whole they have a right to allow a temporary NDA lift and then lock it down once more as it is their intellectual property and those who have access to such are still legally bound to it regardless of our own interpretations, technicalities, common sense, logic or acts of god.  

It's just harder to enforce as people who use common sense and logic will go about doing it without fear, as they aren't the sites that will allow such behavior.  Therefore the loopholes of simply linking what someone said during this time are ways (presumably) of making the moderators feel more safe.  Any information that wasn't shared within those days is no longer able to be shared technically speaking.  In addition, there may have been significant changes that they want to keep under wrap (the point of NDAs), and reestablishing a NDA is completely possible.  Even if they didn't cover such in their NDA (or make something available conditionally) originally they could simply make it so you can no longer play if you don't agree to such again.

We have no rights to go against their wishes as we do not own their product (though we may think we do).  The point of the matter is, while I doubt any of us are legal experts and most of what we say is based on conjecture, the mods have a right to censor whatever they'd like whenever they'd like; this is their website, and if they don't want to take the chance they don't have to.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Sorry to say but i saw your post on the dungeon thread, it was borderline crossing the NDA to me, but that's just my opinion, so take it for what it is.
  • amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323
    Originally posted by vandal5627
    Sorry to say but i saw your post on the dungeon thread, it was borderline crossing the NDA to me, but that's just my opinion, so take it for what it is.

I don't see how, care to enlighten me?

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by vandal5627

I don't see how, care to enlighten me?

I don't see your post anymore so can't remember exactly what you said but when i read it I felt it shouldn't of been said, again, it's just my opinion, nothing more, take it for what it is.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

I'm guessing not.

It'd be relatively easy to point to a post made by someone else on the internet to prove that it was previously mentioned when it was allowed.  Though as I said before, they really haven't made it clear if it's still lifted or not (that I know of) at present (most likely due to the language barrier).   What they did make relatively clear back then was that the lift was temporary and for the duration of that event (which may be a problem of translation again and subject to something else they said thereafter which may not have been translated by the community).

Leave it to SE to over complicate something to the point of absurdity. 

Leave it to SE to over complicate something to the point of absurdity. 

I definitely know where you coming from with that, though I'm not really sure if it's a fair assertion.  While they have been known to make things harder than it needs to be when it comes to registration and payments in the past, it may just be that they assume everyone to understand things the first time they are told and without additional clarification.

It may be a case where they should just know the western audience reads too much into things (or assumes too much) and that they should go into depth with something as important as an NDA.  There were a few other announcements in the past that were pretty clear, and yet there were a dozen English posts on their lodestone asking for clarification on what certain words meant in the context of the writing (they were adequately written and most wanted "official" responses rather than those who understood).  They eventually clarified that point, and seemed to be quite bewildered as to why it wasn't understood the first time.

Though at the same time, they're treating us as adults with regards to telling us just once and not repeating themselves like you would a child (even though some may need to have things laid out before them from lack of understanding / assumptions / thinking too much into things).