Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will Cryptic fix the economy without a full wipe ?

2»

Comments

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

You assume they have much of an interest in fixing it.Cryptic since leaving CoX is known and traded on for one thing Creating games cheaply and quickly for their parent company then moving on to the next project to do the same after leaving a skeleton crew to keep the previous game going.

Chances are they've already made a tidy profit just on founder's pack.They maintainence crew will fix the exploits but don't expect them or PWI to throw work and resources to fix the economy more likely they will let the chips fall where they may.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

What I am going to be looking at is the Zen to AD rate.

Before all this crap happened the rate had been steadily dropping. You could buy 1 Zen for around 350 AD.

Naturally when all of this exploiting went down, it shot back up to 500 and promptly sold out.

If in the coming days, the rate stays parked at 500, then we know for a FACT that a ton of illegitimate AD is still floating around. At which point, I will hit them with a charge back.  

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Beo the "smart" cheaters had multiple accounts doing this all day long. For multiple days at the least.
    They then split it up and sold it to legit players at a reduced price or bought vendor items and did the same - those legit players then did their own transactions with "dirty" money.

They can pull the data all they want - these hours it will take to make decisions and track it down then figure out who was legit and who was not from the ones who kept the exploit silent is a task PWE cannot do without many many hundreds of paid hours - you think they will do that correctly ?
    Catching the few idiots who publicly were giving away almost million AD items is easy enough.
    Tracking down and sorting the records of guilds who were basically running money laundering the past week or more is a far different thing.
  • SourajitSourajit Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Drakynn

You assume they have much of an interest in fixing it.Cryptic since leaving CoX is known and traded on for one thing Creating games cheaply and quickly for their parent company then moving on to the next project to do the same after leaving a skeleton crew to keep the previous game going.

Chances are they've already made a tidy profit just on founder's pack.They maintainence crew will fix the exploits but don't expect them or PWI to throw work and resources to fix the economy more likely they will let the chips fall where they may.

This game has no future if not fixed.

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

Once An Addict Always An Addict .

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well my guess is that they will create some very attractive but non-essential AD "gold-sinks" or simply remove all AD over a certain number...

As for the Zen... No idea...

Gear and stuff is self rectifying as time goes by so i see no need to fix that.

As i said before a server wipe would be worse then a borked economy as it would punish the honest harder then the exploiters and drive of casual players in drowes(pun intended)... .

This have been a good conversation

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    What is really surprising is that PWE had no tools running in the background to monitor massive spikes in currency...They could have caught this early and stopped it.
  • OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by Dahkoht
    Beo the "smart" cheaters had multiple accounts doing this all day long. For multiple days at the least.
    They then split it up and sold it to legit players at a reduced price or bought vendor items and did the same - those legit players then did their own transactions with "dirty" money.

They can pull the data all they want - these hours it will take to make decisions and track it down then figure out who was legit and who was not from the ones who kept the exploit silent is a task PWE cannot do without many many hundreds of paid hours - you think they will do that correctly ?
    Catching the few idiots who publicly were giving away almost million AD items is easy enough.
    Tracking down and sorting the records of guilds who were basically running money laundering the past week or more is a far different thing.

You are right here, those smal transaction they will not bother with hench why i said a few billions. They will not touch legit players. Atleast i doubt they will, they could not know this.

I do not know how many that knew about this befor the last 2 days, but i dont think it was that many. It was this last day it all went bonkers and everything went to hell. That one is easy to fix. As all of em contain -bids on ah. No legit player bid minus on anything

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

took me a while to hunt this down

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Someone made a huge profit.  

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Drakephire
    What is really surprising is that PWE had no tools running in the background to monitor massive spikes in currency...They could have caught this early and stopped it.

That to. How do mmo's not learn things like this? You could have game rules code that kicks in when anything become out of boundary. They would set boundaries of what is possible vs time, anything outside of that is held and reviewed and corrected. If legit, then they could widen the boundaries.

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by Precusor

Someone made a huge profit.  

lol ok, maybe more then a few billions ^^

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Originally posted by Onomic
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

You are right here, those smal transaction they will not bother with hench why i said a few billions. They will not touch legit players. Atleast i doubt they will, they could not know this.

I do not know how many that knew about this befor the last 2 days, but i dont think it was that many. It was this last day it all went bonkers and everything went to hell. That one is easy to fix. As all of em contain -bids on ah. No legit player bid minus on anything

A simple google search will turn up some even admitting to using this exploit well before 4 days ago , and making exponential profits in game (and some out).

Now those are the ones who publically stated this.

The smart guilds who wanted to use this for in game advantage were keeping their mouths shut and doing it en masse as a guild , making sure to launder the money along the way.

It's free accounts , web based auction house you didn't have to get in game for (gateway) and a super easy exploit that could net you , a single player , billions in a few minutes.

It will be well into the trillions that "slips" buy. A single player could launder billions without much effort at all.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Drakephire

Indeed this is the thing that puzzles me. This is not PWE´s first rodeo... Guess it is a fact that they got to "frugal"

As for the people abusing this for personal monetary gain... *shrugs* Greed is a ugly thing and some people are just more egocentric then others. But i am sure some web-vigilante will take that guy*points to posted pic* for a ride.

This have been a good conversation

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

For one I doubt the guy on reddit is being honest.  Anyone who brags about stealing is an idiot.  Rule one to keeping your criminal gains is not to publically admit to your crime.  Bragging he can't be found just encourages vigilante web'ers to hunt him down.  Two, rule one of the internet: never believe what you read without confirmation outside of the internet.

This whole fiasco is kind of humorous, but honestly isn't affecting me in-game.  It is easy to legitimately gain what you need/want in the game just by playing.  I would honestly like them to just start a new server and not combine it with the old servers and refund everyone's zen who start over on the new server.  That way the exploiters can have their fun on the old servers, and those of us who just play the game without cheating can have our fun too.

I'm sure there are lots of good plans that can be done.  I honestly just want to play.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• LogicLesterLogicLester Member UncommonPosts: 68

Best solution in my opinion would be:

1.  Complete AD wipe

2.  Remove all zen purchases from the game, with the exception of character slots.

3.  Refund all zen transferred to Neverwinter game accounts, aside from zen used by the purchasing account to purchase character slots.

4.  Change all currently generated end game gear to bind on pickup, and bind all such gear already in a character's inventory.

5.  Cancel all auctions.

6.  Refund starting AD to all founders accounts.

7.  Turn the servers back on with double AD rewards for the next week.

The only legitimate players this would hurt would be the ones who actually earned AD and used it to purchase zen.  Put some extra CS on Neverwinter for a couple months to cover requests for removed zen purchases by those players.

It also doesn't really punish players who used the exploits solely to level/gear up, but in the end those players aren't worth serious effort to go after.  They'll take care of themselves thanks to boredom.

What it does do is reset the economy, takes away little to no time invested away from legitimate players, give players who funded the game early on incentive to continue playing, and this solution doesn't require a great deal of effort on their part.  This is all of course assuming they can't track AD well, but can track zen.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

Just in a while ago .... possible "rollbacks" for exploiters or shards.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?262972-Astral-Diamond-Exchange-and-Auction-House-Offline

Looks like they may be seeing the writing on the wall. Full wipe and a re-launch  is what many would rather see here. This exploit was MASSIVE and by some accounts going on maybe even into alpha and closed beta. That would make the AD influx a unimaginable number and the amount of people involved in it just as high and daunting.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Shame :( I was having lots of fun in Neverwinter...
    With no wipe i will just play the game for foundry BUT i will NEVER EVER expend a single real coin in it.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

I hate to say it but here the Fanboys are very wrong about this game.  The exploit on this scale cannot just be rolls back.  I am hearing from friends and I also played a few times over the last few weeks, that the exploits are so deep into the economy on a massive scale that its not a simple roll back.  Many of these exploits been around for 3 weeks now and been used.  Sorry but a full wipe of the game is the only way to fix it.  Thank god I had my reservations about this game for months now, it just shows how incapable that cryptic and perfect world are as MMO developers to touch a great game name like Neverwinter or even the world of R.A Salvatore.  O BTW if I was people who liked R.A Salvatore as a Writer and liked this game enough I would write him on Facebook and tell him what you think of what has occurred.  

I would be honest I would rather have seen Blizzard make Neverwinter than have The Prefect World touch this title..  

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Sourajit
    Originally posted by Giffen
    Without a wipe I won't be playing this game anymore.  There just isn't any point since nothing will have any value.

Just imagine us the founder's ... We have wasted real life money in this scam to loot money from people.

This is just a scam and the only way to come out of a scam is to be honest and come clean with a server wipe and take shards down for a week or so and start all over again.

Fix every exploit and make new codes and finish portions that are unfinished.

How can it be a scam when you clearly spend money on something not even finished and released, as advertised? You mean you scammed your own self for falling for the marketing that is pre-ordering/founding/supporting a game. Blame only yourself.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665
    Not full wipe but rather retain the characters but wipe everyone's AD and inventory and reset the Zen back to what they had during launch. Essentially the characters will only have whatever level and equipment they have been wearing. Also retain the other coins/glory they have earned. Founders/Guardians will of course be reissued their original "free" AD (2M or 600K). I think that's fair without causing everyone undue grief for lost progress at the same time it won't penalize the "innocent" players (the majority of the playerbase) too much.
This discussion has been closed.