Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entering DFUW as a new player...

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/TheGambles/052013/25131_A-casual-month-into-DFUW

?This is my frustrations and experiences coming into DFUW as a new player and the conclusion I have come to.

Comments

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    You blogged about being whopped in pvp. It is human nature to do something to get a kick out of life. Like,,,, camping noobs , knocking the heck out of the clueless. You are part of the  food chain. Being at the top or bottom is determined by your skills.. Not your blogging ability.
  • TheGamblesTheGambles Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by moguy2
    You blogged about being whopped in pvp. It is human nature to do something to get a kick out of life. Like,,,, camping noobs , knocking the heck out of the clueless. You are part of the  food chain. Being at the top or bottom is determined by your skills.. Not your blogging ability.

Yep, guess I just don't share those same enjoyments. You're right though, I just blogged about my experience and how I felt about it. Might not be a popular point of view but it's mine... whether it rings true or not for the game in the long run I guess remains to be seen. :)

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by moguy2

How cute, do you feel big and bad now that you insulted someone over the internet?

The major flaw is the fact that there isn't any murderer penalty in the game.  There is no consequence for being an 'asshat'.  So the community does what they have to, abuse the flaw in the system.  Aventurine will always get it wrong, no matter what they do.  They just do not understand how to create a balance.  They are like typical sandbox developers, they believe that the community must govern themselves.  However, in reality, the developers must create tools and systems to allow the community to do so.  They will never do it by themselves, as it has NEVER happened in any video game with open PvP.

If abusive players were properly punished for abusing their power over others, things would begin to even out.  You'd see more people playing the game and those people would be more likely to work with others in a civil manner within the game.  Politics would form, people would become known for their exploits, whether good or bad.  But, as of now, there is simply no mechanic within the game that promotes this type of behavior.  And this is why you are left with a free for all, unbalanced death match.  

I've finally accepted that Aventurine just simply doesn't understand how to develop a game for their target audience.  It's not for a lack of resources, it's for a lack of common sense and sandbox understanding.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    It seems like there should be some sort of bounty or jail system so that there is at least some risk to standing around the newbie zones or required mobs and ganking everyone who comes through.  Right now it sounds like the only way you can get anything done is by bringing along a large group of bodyguards.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

Originally posted by Raventree
    It seems like there should be some sort of bounty or jail system so that there is at least some risk to standing around the newbie zones or required mobs and ganking everyone who comes through.  Right now it sounds like the only way you can get anything done is by bringing along a large group of bodyguards.

That's how I feel honestly. I would love a community that governed itself but I don't even know if that's possible, it may be just a pipe dream or not even within the realm of possibility, I don't know. However games do mature and so can the community, I will keep on keeping on and hope things improve!

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Your not going to walk into DF as a new player and stomp people in pvp.

Your not going to stomp people in pvp as a new player even if you were given 100k prowress and a set of r70 gear,

There is a LOT to learn about DF combat, it doesn't play like any other game out there and you cant walk in as a top notch FPS player or a top themepark pvper and expect your experience to carry over.

Get into a clan, have people who know the game explain what needs to be done in pvp to do well...then practice it a lot and youll get a lot better.

Part of the charm of this game is that its not a clone, its not a game you are already use to, its a game that has a sizeable learning curve. 

Its kind of funny though, for every 1000 people who say they desperately want something challenging and new and despise the clones, only about 1-2 of those people actually mean it.  Most just want a game they can walk into and stomp people where everything is familiar...which is why the clones exist and are dominant.

Theres nothing fair about DF pvp...ever....theres always someone better than you, even if hes lower in character progression.  Your going to have good days where things work out well and bad days where you get your ass handed to you in embarrassing ways that will make you mad.  Its all part of what makes this game good.

I can agree that this game does turn a lot of its new players into haters.  Most were expecting to walk into this game as a pro because they queue for pvp battleground in whatever game they come from and learned how to parse and macro a rotation and stomp people...or come from a FPS as a top player...mind you being good in other games gives you an advantage in that your at least somewhat competent...just don't expect to be that good in DF off the bat, without an explanation on how you need to play or a sizeable amount of practice vs players who are decent.

Most clans have vets who want to help you get there, in fact I would argue all clans do.  The people who roll noobs on their high level toons are the bad pvpers who have a lot of prowress but cant beat anyone decent no matter their prowress advantage...like I stated above, having a high level character and gear is a small portion of being good at pvp.

Not giving you the satisfaction of a blog hit but if you have some video of you pvping people would be more than willing to give pointers.

use this: https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?362900-Uzik-s-Ultimate-DFUW-Guide

3 part guide and points out the untold, not obvious, things that you must do in this game.  Watch this, then play, get into a clan and practice pvp with them dueling, then go out and find pvp.  Sooner or later you wont be getting stomped.

Originally posted by BrownAle

Your not going to walk into DF as a new player and stomp people in pvp.

Your not going to stomp people in pvp as a new player even if you were given 100k prowress and a set of r70 gear,

There is a LOT to learn about DF combat, it doesn't play like any other game out there and you cant walk in as a top notch FPS player or a top themepark pvper and expect your experience to carry over.

Get into a clan, have people who know the game explain what needs to be done in pvp to do well...then practice it a lot and youll get a lot better.

Part of the charm of this game is that its not a clone, its not a game you are already use to, its a game that has a sizeable learning curve. 

Its kind of funny though, for every 1000 people who say they desperately want something challenging and new and despise the clones, only about 1-2 of those people actually mean it.  Most just want a game they can walk into and stomp people where everything is familiar...which is why the clones exist and are dominant.

Theres nothing fair about DF pvp...ever....theres always someone better than you, even if hes lower in character progression.  Your going to have good days where things work out well and bad days where you get your ass handed to you in embarrassing ways that will make you mad.  Its all part of what makes this game good.

I can agree that this game does turn a lot of its new players into haters.  Most were expecting to walk into this game as a pro because they queue for pvp battleground in whatever game they come from and learned how to parse and macro a rotation and stomp people...or come from a FPS as a top player...mind you being good in other games gives you an advantage in that your at least somewhat competent...just don't expect to be that good in DF off the bat, without an explanation on how you need to play or a sizeable amount of practice vs players who are decent.

Most clans have vets who want to help you get there, in fact I would argue all clans do.  The people who roll noobs on their high level toons are the bad pvpers who have a lot of prowress but cant beat anyone decent no matter their prowress advantage...like I stated above, having a high level character and gear is a small portion of being good at pvp.

Not giving you the satisfaction of a blog hit but if you have some video of you pvping people would be more than willing to give pointers.

use this: https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?362900-Uzik-s-Ultimate-DFUW-Guide

3 part guide and points out the untold, not obvious, things that you must do in this game.  Watch this, then play, get into a clan and practice pvp with them dueling, then go out and find pvp.  Sooner or later you wont be getting stomped.

I take it you didn't read the blog as I make no mention to the notion of wanting to walk in and be the best at pvp or even good. Most of my harsh criticism towards the end is on the community rather than anything to do with skill. I'm not sure I get the point of not wanting to give me a blog 'hit' I just wrote it up there because it felt like the right place to. As I plan on continuing and following up as I progress throughout the second month... 

It's a bit ignorant to post criticizing someone when you don't even know what you are criticizing... 

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by TheGambles

That's how I feel honestly. I would love a community that governed itself but I don't even know if that's possible, it may be just a pipe dream or not even within the realm of possibility, I don't know. However games do mature and so can the community, I will keep on keeping on and hope things improve!

i know this is gonna sound wierd and dont feel like i'm trying to be insulting because i'm not.

in DF you can not take it personal when someone rollls you and takes your stuff.

it is not one of those games where your stuff represents a month of hard work.  it represents a lil bit of time crafting that you even got EXP for as you did it.

even eve (and as many here know I LOVE EVE) where everything might be killed at any time has more "permanent" gear than DF.

now dont get me wrong i think that there SHOULD be a crime/ punish systemm and that there should be more valuable gear but at the present that's not how DF works.

once you realize this you can stop taking it personally and enjoy the game.

it worked for me at least.

itch

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by BrownAle
    theres always someone better than you, even if hes lower in character progression.

We heard that for three years in DF1, and that is a rubbish response.

What you are saying killed DF1 in a few months and will kill DFUW just as soon. You`re telling him level doesn`t matter and that is a blatant lie. Level does matter in many ways. He will hit harder, have more health, better stamina, better heals etc. Levels are very important in Darkfall. A high level can farm NPCs naked, and they do.

Sadly most players wont stay long enough to get pvp viable. If AV had a brain, every noob doing the feats inside the safezone, should have 40k when they were done. Mark my words, DFUW is doing the same mistake DF did, and the game will soon be empty and dead. It will die from the same reason too, the grind to get pvp viable.

Most people are not hardcore enough to do the many kill 180 NPC quest naked for a few months, just to be able to get a pvp viable character. We used to say the first months in games like Darkfall are the fun ones, but look at the first month in DFUW. No politics at all. It`s just a boring NPC grind for months.

I will cancel my accounts for lack of pvp, and that tells you the state of the game. You can have fun running around looking for the few new players trying to grind a pvp viable char.

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

Biggest flaw with DFUW is the game lack any kind of alignment system.

Some call it hardcore but i call it "carebear".

In other MMO games like Ultima Online you had negative consequences when killing new players. In DFUW you can kill anyone without getting any negative consequences.

Being a murderer with a red colour in DFUW is just another colour, means nothing else.

PK:s in DFUW is usually lame players seeking easy targets together with 20 others.