Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clueless GM caused me to quit on first day

After listening to the lore provided to me at character creation by the developers, where the witch class states that if her home wouldn't have been "taken by fire" that she would not have "taken their children". I created a witch named KiddieKiller.

A GM contacted me and told me my name was offensive and my account is muted until name is changed. Unfrickinbelievable.

It's OK for the developer to have it in the lore but not for me to have it in my charcter name? Hypocrites

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    So there is an npc called kiddiekiller?

• Originally posted by Robokapp
    lore doesn't trump EULA/TOS.

Shouldn't they be equal?

• Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    So there is an npc called kiddiekiller?

I'm trying to get a picture of the character creation uploaded to show you. But at character creation the witch class references "taking their children" after they took her house with fire. So based on the lore provided to me for that class at character creation is where I came up with my character's name.

• Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Deznts
    Originally posted by Robokapp

Shouldn't they be equal?

they don't exist in the same plane. Lore's purely virtual and so is the character. The TOS/EULA impacts the player, who is real. The EULA/TOS have no power over the character.

at no point does your character pick his name. You pick it for him.

That's why they can't be equal, they're not comparable.

What your describing is utter hypocrisy. It can't be ok for the developer but not for the player. That's a crock of shit

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

After listening to the lore provided to me at character creation by the developers, where the witch class states that if her home wouldn't have been "taken by fire" that she would not have "taken their children". I created a witch named KiddieKiller.

A GM contacted me and told me my name was offensive and my account is muted until name is changed. Unfrickinbelievable.

It's OK for the developer to have it in the lore but not for me to have it in my charcter name? Hypocrites

You don't tell us why the GM is clueless.  Requesting you to change a name doesn't qualify one for cluelessness.  I guess if the GM would have told you to change your name from Kiddiekiller because it was too kind and gentle would be clueless.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Shouldn't they be equal?

they don't exist in the same plane. Lore's purely virtual and so is the character. The TOS/EULA impacts the player, who is real. The EULA/TOS have no power over the character.

What your describing is utter hypocrisy. It can't be ok for the developer but not for the player. That's a crock of shit

They didn't call any NPC "Kiddiekiller"  if they had, and they then told you to change your name because it was offensive, then that would be hypocrisy.

• Originally posted by zymurgeist

/facepalm.

You're calling the GM clueless?

Yes I am. The lore at character creation is what inspired my name. How can it be ok for the developers and not for the players? Answer, it can't without hypocrisy.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    So, change your name?

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Originally posted by niceguy3978

Shouldn't they be equal?

They didn't call any NPC "Kiddiekiller"  if they had, and they then told you to change your name because it was offensive, then that would be hypocrisy.

Go to character creation and read or listen to the lore provided for the witch class. Then come back here and speak once you know what you/I are talking about.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

you want it explained?

you created a HERO. not a VILLAIN.

villains go and kill kids. heroes usualy don't - they tend to save em.

there. explained. thanks for the dicussion ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

The name, "Kiddiekiller" is an example of someone with no kids, displaying a rather childish, insensitive name at the emotional cost of adults who actually have children who want to play this video game. 

Get something creative, something dark and gothic - and you'll have a name.  In other words, use creativity - though I understand that may be lacking in today's generation.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

The name you chose imo is something many people could take offence to.

Maybe try something like taker of youth,expired childhood,lament the young.Just ideas.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119

I'm glad they're making you change it. Try actually getting creative for a change. For example: Do a search for the names of known (or relatively unknown) child murderers, then select one of them (or a variant) to base your character's name off of. Simple, quick, and most of all, subtle.

It's not that difficult.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• Originally posted by Thane

you want it explained?

Right, cause heroes are exiled? LOL

Looks as if I'm the only one in this discussion to actually pay attention to the lore.

• Originally posted by InsaneDalek

I'm glad they're making you change it. Try actually getting creative for a change. For example: Do a search for the names of known (or relatively unknown) child murderers, then select one of them (or a variant) to base your character's name off of. Simple, quick, and most of all, subtle.

It's not that difficult.

I didn't change my name. I uninstalled the game.

• Originally posted by InsaneDalek

It's not that difficult.

Holy shit dude. It's a video game. Not real life. Get off your high horse.

• FYI, kidkiller was already taken so I had to settle for kiddiekiller. It is the reason that the witch got exiled. Seems a fitting name for starting the path of exile.
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

OP: I understand what you are saying about the lore can be more offensive and gruesome than your name would allow. Consider this, most evil people don't name themselves anyway. Hannibal didn't call himself Hannibal the Cannibal for example. We all know that in most game lore Orcs murder, rape and pillage... but no game (well that cares about it's player base) is going to let you name your Orc "Elfraper" regardless of the lore. Lore items can be quickly glanced at and forgotten but players names will pop up on chats etc repeatedly.

I think it is a tad over-dramatic to quit a game because they wouldn't let you use your name. Also, be honest with yourself, is it that fantastic of a name anyway?

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

/facepalm.

You're calling the GM clueless?

Reminds me of the guy throwing a tantrum in another game because they got banned for rping a rapist.image

• McPickleMcPickle Member Posts: 39

Shouldn't they be equal?

That's insane logic. How is hearing spoken words affecting a real player less than a name that has to be read? Did I not really hear the lore, or was it virtual sound? 

On launch day for open beta I thought the same as OP and made a character with a reference to that lore also. Those are 2 clear examples of how lore affected to END USER. 

Character name is : Eatyokids if anyone wants to verify I can also post a screeny since I went to the website and it shows my characters there.

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Comaf
    Originally posted by InsaneDalek

It's not that difficult.

Should just lock this thread before someone really loses it.  Sometimes I hate that kids can play these games and post opinions.  It is NEVER acceptable to glorify anything remotely close to a child murderer...seriously are some of you that developmentally delayed???

I'll just have to ignore this thread - please lock this crap down.

Never said glorify it. Was just giving an example of something that the OP could've done if he were creative and wanted to stick with the theme. But thanks for flaming anyway.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• Originally posted by McPickle

Shouldn't they be equal?

That's insane logic. How is hearing spoken words affecting a real player less than a name that has to be read? Did I not really hear the lore, or was it virtual sound? 

On launch day for open beta I thought the same as OP and made a character with a reference to that lore also. Those are 2 clear examples of how lore affected to END USER. 

Character name is : Eatyokids if anyone wants to verify I can also post a screeny since I went to the website and it shows my characters there.

Very glad to see that someone else listened to (reading was another option since it captions what the class says when you select it) the lore provided by the developers and, like me, created their character in the spirit of said provided lore.

Originally posted by Thane

you want it explained?

Wha, Wha? He didn't create anything. He's choosing a PREMADE character, with a PREMADE background. That character in question(the one who wouldn't have taken the kids if...) is the one he will playing.

Your arguement is basically this:

The "witch" is a hero because despite burning children, her name doesn't reflect that. Had she said, made her name BurnerofKiddos, then her "actions" then take substance, but not before.  

Or is that over your 2 inch head? 

Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Naming a character in that manner is offensive. It makes all your arguments moot.

Eatyokids?

Offensive only to the uneducated. It's a Mike Tyson reference.  Or it could have sexual meaning. You know, offending someone isn't really a level of concern for me unless it does any actual damage. I can't worry about what one may or not be offended by all the time or I'd never get to say anything. Rest assured that just about everything you say could be taken as offensive by someone somewhere. 

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    I don't see what the problem is.  It sounds like you were clueless about the rules and the GM had to inform you.  Seriously, just change your name.

This discussion has been closed.