Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Best MMOs of 2013... So Far

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by ComputerJuice

his grammar is correct.  its your understanding of his statement that is not. 

The title does not read "best MMO's RELEASED in 2013" for a reason.   He does use OF meaning IN which is grammatically correct. 

If he typed IN, you would still complain. 

I guess what you want is "the best mmo's currently available to play online right at this very moment"  which is kind of a bad headline.

Reading comprehension is hard, it is why they teach it in most schools.

Ah! You're making the classic sophomoric mistake if assuming that reading comprehension is purely the responsibility of the reader--it isn't. It's the writer's responsibility to be unambiguous and only then is the reader responsible for understanding.

There are many recognized distinct usages of the word "of" http://www.thefreedictionary.com/of

The use of the preposition contextually in the title implies a possessive relationship as in "belonging to 2013" which implies that 2013 is an important descriptor. It is most logical to assume that the importance of 2013 in the title relates to a very significant event for what is being described, an MMO. Release date can be further assumed to be that significant event. Still being around in 2013 is not nearly as significant for the MMO in question (especially since 95% of the releases in the past 15 years are still around in 2013) as is being released in 2013.

"In" really is the superior and less ambiguous choice of prepositions.

In your rush to make us believe that your command of the English language is superior to ours, you have in fact posited an awkward and more unusual contextual interpretation of the word "of" as being synonymous with "in."  

So... good try but not kewpie doll for you.

(On a related note... God I just love this new spell checker in the enhanced editor! image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

GW2 is easily the best MMO made in the last five years let alone this year. Unfortunately that isn't saying very much, as half the servers are already graveyards. People are moving to consoles in droves so these run of the mill devs better step it up.

Tried and true immersive gameplay has been replaced with carbon copies and meaningless innovation that has turned satisfying 1 year stints into 1 month roller coaster rides. The irony is the latter is far less profitable.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

If Eve is on here, WoW should be #1.

WoW

Eve

The rest.

And I can't believe Dark Fall made the list.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Some of them are a 5/10 meaning i would play them for a short while if and only if free to play.I would not sub any of these games.

As for upside a couple have some upside but because of their design structure,i never see it happening.So imo all of these games will remain  a 5/10 some are not even that good.

Best of is an appropriate title because none of these titles would fall under the GREAT games title.

I find there is often  no criteria judging these games aside from the often mentioned NUMBERS.

What i do see is often "vague" terms like fun,niche,content however if you actually understand game design and break down what these games are doing,you soon realize terms like cost effective,lack of effort,rushed systems are more relevant.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• miguelixmiguelix Member Posts: 2
    LOL, You can not ignore the undisputed number 1: World Of Warcraft. This is not serious.

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104
    You guys here on mmorg.com really don't have a clue do you?
  • ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104
    TSW underappreciated? Of course it is, because it's rubbish.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Disagree with the list. SWTOR and  Wushu, have no business in a top 10 MMO discussion.
  • noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

I'd really like to know how much EA is paying mmorpg.com directly and indirectly to keep plugging SWTOR day-after-day, month-after-month month when the universal opinion on the forums since January 2012 is that this game is a multidimensional failure.

Oh well. I suppose that's why mmorpg.com is called 'shillsite' on IGN and Target.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Man, if you guys like arguing about this one... I can't wait to see your reaction to next week's "Worst of 2013... So Far" list.

Same list?:)

• DeltaFrc670DeltaFrc670 Member Posts: 71
    SWTOR is nothing more then an uninspired money grab, it doesn't deserve to be on this list.

• wilbur1332wilbur1332 Member Posts: 3

Top Three:

#1 SWTOR

#2 Neverwinter

#3 GW2

Now this is honestly my list. Everyone has a different opinion, mine just happens to be the best...

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

This is the real best MMOs of 2013... So Far  (In my opinion.)

1. Star Wars: The Old Republic

2. DC Universe Online

3. Star Trek Online

4. Neverwinter

5. Guild Wars 2

6. The Secret World

7. (Tie)  Age of Wushu/Age of Conan

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• miguelixmiguelix Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by orbitxo
    Originally posted by volvoxaureus
    SWTOR is there and TSW but no WOW ..good joke but WoW has his own rank: THE KING !!!!

world of warcraft - had the worst year expansion from a premium game imo if they wanted togo with shock value=they got it... had it been ANYTHING other than MoP it would of  still prob be in my HD....k maybe not.

but maybe made my list-

Wow anyway is better than all the entire list

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Notice how everyone's listt is different from each other's?  There is no list that will make everyone content.  It's a good list with some of the most popular MMOs out right now, but i would like to see an "underrated" list.
  • pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276
    What a sad sad sad year.. I mean sad sad sad last 10 years
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

You guys are still here?  Man, go eat some dinner.

I had Subway, thanks for asking. My clothes now smell like cold-cuts.

(Seriously though, this is the best thread ever. I'm glad we brought back these lists.)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613
    My seemingly logical (and very opinionated) analysis of Bill's list...

7) Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Although Aventurine managed to improve many aspects of the original, they failed in one major department: all races are now almost identical, with the exception of different textures and hair meshes.  But some of those aren't even unique to each race.  What happened to my dwarf?  My dwarf is now a human with a slightly bigger beard, and a headband that looks familiar to the dwarf headbands from the original Darkfall.

I'm sorry Aventurine, but you robbed me of one of my favorite things in an MMO: the joy of feeling unique by making a lasting decision involving the customization or development of my character.  And this isn't exclusive to race selection during character customization.  There are other areas where Aventurine removed significance from players' actions or choices.

Does Darkfall: Unholy Wars deserve to be on this list?  Maybe, but I am bitter after losing much of the significance found in the original Darkfall.

6) Age of Wushu
    Age of Wushu easily deserves a place on this list.  It has so many unique ideas and interesting systems, and most of them are implemented well enough.  There are many systems that need polish, or need to be implemented in a less confusing manner.  While playing AoW, I often ran into a system where I thought to myself "I think they made this system purposely confusing for the sake of making the game seem deep and complex."  Basically, the developers took really standard and simple ideas, and layered them on top of each other in a messy amalgam of complexity in order to make the system seem deeper and more challenging than it really is.

Improve localization, GUI, and remove unnecessary complexities, and this game could be number one on any list.

5) The Secret World
    Funcom's latest and greatest?  A compelling story and atmosphere, the fantasy horror is a great addition to the genre.  However, it could have been executed better.  Nearly all characters (NPC and PC alike) look identical.  There are subtle variations on facial bone structure, hairstyles, and skin tones/colors.  Even with these customization options, everyone still looks the same.

Funcom did a decent job with the skill/ability wheel and the progression system.  But it's not enough.

The major failing for TSW is this: it's a themepark in the guise of a complex and dark fantasy horror MMO.  But let's be honest here guys: it's no more complex than World of Warcraft, and no more scary than that joke of a vampire series where the vampires glitter in the sun.  The only appeal is the atmosphere.  Beyond that, it doesn't have much to offer.

Does TSW deserve to be on this list?  Sure, but only because it doesn't have much competition in the fantasy horror MMO genre.  If World of Darkness were out, I'm sure that would have taken TSW's spot.

4) Star Wars: The Old Republic
    I really tried to love this game.  Unfortunately it is riddled with technical issues and limitations due to its engine.  If Bioware can improve the engine, then the game will likely improve.  The engine is the primary reason the game suffers from its many downfalls, and this will probably never change.

Rather than making improvements to the engine and add back features which were removed due to the engine or poor systems design, they add more goodies to the cash shop.  This is a game that is in maintenance mode, with small cash shop additions that are astonishingly touted as huge or major content additions.

I've never felt hatred for a publisher until SWTOR came around.  But you gotta hand it to EA, they know how capitalize on recycling shit, polishing shit, and advertising shit.  If I didn't suffer from morals or have any sense of ethics, I could be a billionaire shit salesman too!

I really can't think of a single good thing to say about SWTOR.  Oh wait, it's Star Wars, so at least it has that going for it.

3) Neverwinter
    I really can't describe with words how much disappointment I have for this game.  It seems fitting that it's right next to SWTOR in the list, because both of them took amazing IPs and turned them into less than mediocre games.

Really?  Truly?  This is the best the MMO industry can do with the Neverwinter IP?  Are there any Dungeons and Dragons fans out there who feel insulted by this game?  It takes every great idea that you might expect from Dungeons and Dragons, and does the complete opposite.  Immersion, complex systems, meaningful and significant choices... none of it exists in Neverwinter.

Dungeons and Dragons is about organizing a group of friends, exploring a vast world of adventure and mystery, immersing yourself in a unique story that grows with your characters and unfolds over time.  Neverwinter isn't Dungeons and Dragons... Neverwinter is what Dungeons and Dragons would be if it was turned into an amusement park for children.

As a game for cheap thrills and short spouts of meaningless entertainment, Neverwinter works.  But tying the names "Dungeons and Dragons" and "Neverwinter" to this shallow title is an insult to fans across the globe.  I feel anger for the developers and publishers who bastardize a great IP by turning it into a joke like this.  Neverwinter will never be the same, it is forever scarred by insignificance and mediocrity.

All of that aside, lets not forget the music.  I played Champions Online on day one, and in beta.  I became very familiar with the music in that title.  When Star Trek Online officially launched, I found it odd that Cryptic would recycle the music from CO and use it in STO.  But I forgave them, because the music was slightly relevant in a science fiction setting.  But then, to my horrible and bewildered surprise... I heard that same recycled music in Neverwinter!  WHAT!!?!?!  Why am I hearing guitar riffs in a dungeon in a fantasy game?!  Seriously guys!  This was the last straw for me.  I have lost respect for Cryptic.  They are a lazy studio, they skimp at every corner, emphasizing systems which maximize profits while maintaining minimal effort to produce a mediocre product.  Yes yes, it's in the best interest of any company to maximize profits.  But there has to be a limit.  Certain expectations need to be met.  The vast majority of the world's consumers (in any market) are simply enchanted when they see shinies and hear fancy words like "action," "beta," "exclusive" and "innovative."

Games today aren't about gaming, they're about profiting.  Neverwinter is a clear indication of this.  It's further indication of the complete and unashamed contempt the developers and publishers feel for their customers.  They have no respect for you, they only want your money.  They will use every cheap trick in the book to get your money (exclusive VIP beta access anyone?  By the way, it's non-refundable and under NDA so you can't tell anyone how disappointed you are with your purchase.  Oh, and that buyer's remorse you're feeling?  Forget about it!  It'll pass... here, take some exclusive digital items which cost pennies for our programmers to fart into existence... trust me, you'll love it!).

The disappointment only increases the longer I think about this sham of a MMO.  Let's not forget the latest trend of "action combat."  Why?  Why action combat?  Why is it so amazing now?  Do players really want action combat in a game like this?  It was interesting in TERA.. then in GW2.. then RaiderZ.. and what others are doing it now?  Cryptic didn't even do a good job implementing action combat!  Admit it!  Both GW2 and RaiderZ do it better.  When I played GW2 after a weekend of Neverwinter, I couldn't help but think "Wow, this is what action combat is supposed to feel like.  I can actually move while attacking!  This is amazing!"

Then there's the Foundry... the one thing that Neverwinter might have done right, and it's the one thing I couldn't possibly care less about.  Cryptic doesn't need to create content now, enabling them to be even more lazy than they were before.  "Just let the players make the game, we'll charge them for it too."

2) EVE Online
    Finally, a game which deserves to be on a top ten (or top seven) list.  A game which represents quality and complexity in almost every facet.  Not to mention fairness and affordability from a consumer perspective.  A single monthly fee (or multiple monthly fees if you own more than one account ;) ).  CCP doesn't charge for expansions or content updates, regardless of how big or small those updates are.  They offer a means for players to purchase in-game assets via PLEX, but it's generally not a good idea to blow your money on that, since you could lose it the moment you leave a station.  I like PLEX for the sole purpose you can use it to pay your monthly subscription.  Their cash shop focuses exclusively on cosmetics.  I received some complimentary AUR a while back, and I used it to buy a cybernetic eyeball for my character.  That's pretty damn cool if you ask me =]

I will say this about EVE Online: it's not an easy game to pick up.  It's taken me seven years to really get the hang of it.  I only wish I had stayed subbed and continued training my skills that whole time.  Either way, I've gotten to the point where I'm actually proud of the character I've built over the last seven years.  I haven't felt pride in my progression in an MMORPG in a long time.  You know why?  Because every MMO released in the last few years places an emphasis on easy accomplishments for the sake of retaining casual players.  Gone are the days of actually earning your rewards.  That's not fair to the people who deserve those same rewards for the sake simply being alive (you know the ones, the ones who feel they are entitled to everything and shouldn't have to work for it).  EVE Online gives me true satisfication for accomplishing something.  There aren't many games left like that.

1) Guild Wars 2
    There is one word I have for Guild Wars 2: Quality.  Nearly everything about this game is polished to the extreme, and nearly every system is beautifully implemented.  But why can't I play this game?  Because the lack of defined combat roles -- or the lack of trinity -- discourages me from pursuing group-based PVE.  Before, the buzz around the Interwebs was "trinity is bad because you can't get a group because you're not a healer."  Well, if you remove the trinity, you might as well remove the PVE.

I know, that's a little extreme, but the trinity added something to PVE that I feel was necessary for organized and social gameplay.  People need purpose, or a reason to be doing whatever it is they're doing.  When you remove the trinity, you no longer have a meaninful role to fill, or an important job to perform.  At this point, your primary purpose for joining a group isn't to be a part of a complex system... your purpose is to just reach the end, or to get that loot.

I enjoyed WvW in the first month of GW2's release, but that wasn't enough to keep me playing.  I also craved performing a specific role in a group in a dungeon, and that's the one thing you won't find in GW2.

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Let's be honest they didn't have much to work with to put this list out.  The Worst of 2013 list should be easy.  The same list.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

My top 7, nobody cares I know :)

7. SWTOR - it was a very slow year

6. EVE - Respect here, but age too

5. Defiance - great concept hopes it develops into more

4.  Neverwinter - Fun but that dang store crap

3. GW2 - While many expected more, it was still good

2. Path of the Exile - What  a great surprise/gem this game was

1. TSW - Did something different and it was/is fun

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I pretty much agree with this list except for GW2 and AoW.  GW2 is pretty much the MacMMO of MMOs and AoW has too many bugs and other client issues to be included.  I believe Eve should be number one and Tera added in over AoW. 
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I think this article lacks objectivism or following set guidelines for determining what is the best of 2013.  There are titles released in 2013, titles updated in 2013, and titles still in beta.  If I objectively looked at all three categories, I cannot see why most of these games deserve to be listed.

From titles released so far in 2013, Age of Wushu is definitely the best mmo.  After all we are only looking at 15 titles.  Amongst the other titles, Defiance is also pretty good.  I don't think Darkfall should even count as released in 2013, its more like an update and not a very good one.

From titles that have received major updates in 2013, I don't think most of the rest even qualify compared to updates on other titles. AION, Tera, and Dragon's Nest have seen much larger updates than on Star Wars, Guild Wars 2, and The Secret World. I would also argue that they are better games to boot.

From titles that will release in 2013, have we forgotten about Blade and Soul, ArcheAge, Lime Odyssey, and The Elder Scrolls Online? They show much more promise than a cut and paste copy like Neverwinter.

• moondragomoondrago Member UncommonPosts: 47
    right now  may 17 2013  there  are  no   good   computer  games out there ....  .. imo ... im from  daoc and i have  played  all the  games   paid for them ,  sub to them  for  a month or  2   and  the only  game im playing  right now is  dust 514 and  that  game is   about  to  go  the  way of  fallen  earth  .. the  skill points  to  lvl  up is   just  stupid  ... 800 k  for  one  skill and you make  about   4 k to  10 k  per  match .. right now  there is  no  game  out there  that i like  .. why  cant  they  come  out with a  daoc  2  .. i have  high hopes for  camelot  unchained  ... and  WoD .. and  ESo .. other  then that   all the  games i have  wasted money on are  nothing more then  theme park   grind  fest  .. i  bet ill  get  an email from  mmorpg about  being  a  troll  again  but im not-  this is  just  how i feell .. i  still hav e  GW2 , lotr   firefall , ps2 ,sercet  world ,tribes ascend ,  loaded on my computer  but i just  cant  bring my  self to  play them  .. i really only  play  eve online ( waiting on  new  content in june ) and dust 514 on the ps  3 ( bought the  ps3 just  so i could  play D 514)  is it just  me or  are  mmo  just  to  dumped down  right now  to   ... boxed in  ... i even  paid for  rift and  that  felt  like  a  job ...the  reall  draw  back on rift  was   every toon  started in the  same   area  .. LET  repeat  the   same   shit   over  again  when  making /trying out a  new  toon ..... mybe im just   out   grown  gaming  all  together  ....

its a GoOd dAy to diE !!

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Originally posted by Town420

What a bad list lol. No Path of Exile? What a joke lol 

It's a list of top MMOs, why on earth would an (extremely good) non-massive ARPG be on it?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

You guys are still here?  Man, go eat some dinner.

I had Subway, thanks for asking. My clothes now smell like cold-cuts.

(Seriously though, this is the best thread ever. I'm glad we brought back these lists.)

Umm Subway... Tuna melt it is :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED