Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about playing..

DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126

I played AoC and liked it a lot. Waiting for ESO and maybe the New Everquest, would TSW be worth investing in? one of the mmorpg writers said it occupied him for a bit. I have plenty of time off at the moment and I'd like to play something a bit different.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MulliMulli Member Posts: 94

I'd say so (but then, I'm a lifetimer). I've actually been away for a couple of months due to RL commitments, with only the odd hour here and there in-game. I logged in last night for a play-through of "The Last Train to Cairo" (the fantastic final mission from issue #6) and it was great. I'd forgotten how much fun the game was. I just fired you a key in the other thread - let me know if you need a hand with anything in-game (IGN: Mickey - I'll be playing tonight, probably some time after 6pm UK time).

To be honest, for the price of the basic game (it being B2P) even if I weren't such a rabid fan of the game, I'd say it's worth it. You'll get your money's worth out of the main storyline alone, never mind all the side missions.

• DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126
    The client is downloading :)
  • DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126

what builds are needed? I mean are there loads of DPS/healers and no tanks or anything along those lines?

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Deadlobster

what builds are needed? I mean are there loads of DPS/healers and no tanks or anything along those lines?

No such thing, you can be all of those in one character (it's a classless game), so you can switch to tank if noone else is in the mood for tanking, then you can switch to heal if that's missing, etc. For a rule of thumb just choose what you like to play the most. I know it's not much of a help :)

And when you get to the endgame, you will see and know your cabal or your regular group and you can pick your role based on that (since above 10.0 the gear grind get worse exponentially, so it's easier to choose only one role and farm the gear to that one)

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

This thread may help you get oriented:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=66643

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I played AoC and liked it a lot. Waiting for ESO and maybe the New Everquest, would TSW be worth investing in? one of the mmorpg writers said it occupied him for a bit. I have plenty of time off at the moment and I'd like to play something a bit different.

Thanks in advance.

if you like supernatural, conspiracy theory stories, it is entertaining.

I just started a new character and I'm playing it alongside GW2.

The story and the atmosphere are its main points, I also like the investigation missions,

Compared to GW2, i don't like the UI, the movement and combat feel inferior and the world, despite having a great atmosphere feel static.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Deadlobster I played AoC and liked it a lot. Waiting for ESO and maybe the New Everquest, would TSW be worth investing in? one of the mmorpg writers said it occupied him for a bit. I have plenty of time off at the moment and I'd like to play something a bit different. Thanks in advance.
    if you like supernatural, conspiracy theory stories, it is entertaining.

I just started a new character and I'm playing it alongside GW2.

The story and the atmosphere are its main points, I also like the investigation missions,

Compared to GW2, i don't like the UI, the movement and combat feel inferior and the world, despite having a great atmosphere feel static.

There's very little PvP in the game. It exists, but the game's world is PvE driven. The multi player aspects are optional, but the do provide a good bit of content.

I think of it like this. TSW did what SWToR tried to do with telling a story, but TSW did it right.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Po_gg

Originally posted by Deadlobster what builds are needed? I mean are there loads of DPS/healers and no tanks or anything along those lines?
    No such thing, you can be all of those in one character (it's a classless game), so you can switch to tank if noone else is in the mood for tanking, then you can switch to heal if that's missing, etc. For a rule of thumb just choose what you like to play the most. I know it's not much of a help :)

And when you get to the endgame, you will see and know your cabal or your regular group and you can pick your role based on that (since above 10.0 the gear grind get worse exponentially, so it's easier to choose only one role and farm the gear to that one)

Ok so, This isn't exactly true.

You start off with a very wide array of choices which get progressively smaller as you approach endgame.

When at endgame there is only a very fine about of freedom in builds.

I'm personally a lifer, and really like the game but you have to understand that the perception of choice in this game can be bent frequently.

p.s have fun trying to switch builds via the equipment manager :)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Deadlobster what builds are needed? I mean are there loads of DPS/healers and no tanks or anything along those lines?

You start off with a very wide array of choices which get progressively smaller as you approach endgame.

I'm personally a lifer, and really like the game but you have to understand that the perception of choice in this game can be bent frequently.

Actually the number of choices are widening with every unlocked ability from the wheel. :) I think you ment the viable choices for nightmares, then I agree. Especially if you want to complete them without deck swap... But if you're just playing around and don't want to min-maxing, then you have many playable decks at hand even at the endgame.

p.s. I wrote the very same numerous times too :) I don't use plugins and I still can't believe FC is unable to fix a so crucial part of the game...

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

It's the closest thing to a sandbox as a rollercoaster game can get.

You can't think in terms of classes so much as what weapons/spellcraft you use.

It truly is one of the most under-rated games out there in not only their "gaming system" as a whole, but the Story is too.

I had to reformat my system but haven't re-installed - I think I will right now.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Nitth

Yeah have to agree with this. What starts out as a fantastic array of choices soon becomes 2 types of tank, 2 types of healer and one type of DPS for PvE content. You can go against the grain I guess, but you are just making life difficult for yourself, and most players wont want to carry you unless you have the optimal setup.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Yeah have to agree with this. What starts out as a fantastic array of choices soon becomes 2 types of tank, 2 types of healer and one type of DPS for PvE content. You can go against the grain I guess, but you are just making life difficult for yourself, and most players wont want to carry you unless you have the optimal setup.

Eh. There are 3 tanking weapons/spells and 3 healing weapons/spells and 3 DPS weapons/spells. There are 2 skill lines for each of those (1 damage, 1 other) and 2 initial ability lines for each (generally 1 damage and 1 other). For instance, Fist and Blood Magic are nominally healing gear; but you can spec them for all-out offense if you prefer. Note that I play casually and slowly as an explorer, not a power-leveling racer. I don't have much interest in min-maxing or elitism.

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112
    Lifer here as well and I also suggest TSW : )

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• platonicxplatonicx Member UncommonPosts: 22

I can assure you there is a huge variety of builds even at endgame.

While there are 3 tank weapons (Weapons that generate increased amounts of hate that is) you can safely and viably build a tank with only one of those weapons and then add anything else as your secondary. Tanking with shotgun is still my favorite.

Similar with healing. While there are 3 healing weapons its very much possible to mix them with shotgun or pistol in all cases.

There is 9 weapons you can use for dps. There is no question about that. While a lot of people are stuck in pistol + shotgun because of all the buffs the fact is you can achieve same overall dps and sometimes even more with other builds as well.

The reason why some people think the choices are getting thinner is because the later you get the more overall power your build needs to have. So if you just casually cook something up yourself its probably not going to cut it.

Ask in the build forums or do some testing of your own with your favorite weapon choices and you can make pretty much everything work well.