Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What SWTOR really needs

1235»

Comments

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Tierless

It has 2 options, patch in everything it's missing that SWG had, OR, put this lame horse down and make a new MMO that lives up to the name Star Wars.

Please don't make it like SWG because that game sucked and failed despite how long it was standing on its last legs for years.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by mrrshann618     Originally posted by superniceguy SWTOR is basically a more polished version of the NGE with less features, it is the NGE NGE'd but written from the ground up. Why do people keep comparing SWG sandbox crud with a themepark game? They are two different games. They have two different target audiences. SWG (NGE) was a sandbox that added Themepark elements, SWG fanatics admit as such. So why, why, why can't all of you see, that you hated the themepark elements? Why oh why is it then that you come to SWTOR and bitch about a thempark game? when it blatantly is one.    
    There are themepark games that are actually good, and have been managed well. I like LOTRO and that is not a sandbox.   The way SWTOR has been designed is so basic that it even makes WOW and LOTRO, theme park games, seem like a sandbox. It just plays too much like a single player game. EA/BW did not take advice from Han Solo and got cocky. Basically SWTOR just needs more content and features and not just more Operations, Flashpoints etc. Theme park games get this too, Rift had housing added with the expansion. If it can't get these things then it is not a MMO but a single player game with multiplayer and getting DLC like Mass Effect 3. If it was released as a single player game like ME3, then I would just play it and then move on, but as it is meant to be a MMO, it should expand with more features, and none have gained my interest so far. Maybe 2.2 or 2.3 or 2.4 ...? Even Rift impressed me with their updates, hopefully SWTOR will, and until it does then will keep "bitching" about it
      wow and lotro play like single player games as well. SWTOR is a wow clone for god sakes lol the only difference is the world is a bit more open (even though certain worlds in SWTOR are just as open as wow's) and the open pvp was done better because you actually do the quests in the same areas as the opposing faction most of the time after level 20. also, a lot of sandbox features you are talking about does nothing in terms of making it feel less like a single player game. most themeparks since wow released have focused more on being solo friendly and having that "single player feel". wow is the game that really introduced that and made it to where you can play the game all the way to max level by yourself, other than doing small group dungeons and BG's......exactly the same as SWTOR. so tell me again how SWTOR plays too much like a single player game and wow does not?  
    In WOW and LOTRO you are not so much directed on a set path. In LOTRO and WOW you can do most all quests from any NPC as long as you are the right level, but in SWTOR you can only do quests given to you. eg Smuggler / Commando can not get quests from Tython and Jedi can not get quests from Ord Mantell unless they have specific ones to get from there, whereas if SWTOR was like WOW or LOTRO you would be able to.   With WOW and LOTRO there is more reason to travel back to areas with lower levels, in SWTOR there is less reason to do so. WOW and LOTRO are more open, the worlds are more lifelike, and you can get side tracked with various things en route, but in SWTOR there is not much other than the quests themselves
      none of that makes wow play less like a single player than SWTOR. what you are talking about is linear content, that has absolutely no effect on the fact you can play wow like its a single player game just like you can in SWTOR. look at skyrim, is that not a single player game? yet its not as linear as wow. does that make it more massive multi player? lol also i would argue that SWTOR and its linear content is more on par with the KOTOR games which are extremely linear in the same manner. so i kind of understand why they did that but i definitely agree its a little confined for an mmo.  
    The main reason why I said it was like a single player game is because it is being updated like one - very few and far between. A single player game does get not get majorly revamped, just get content added, like what SWTOR is getting.

The other thing I forgot to say was the space game, that is pure 100% single player. When asking BW/EA if it will have multiplayer space, their response was it will not be there at launch, implying that it would come later, but there has been no signs of it, only the secret space project which is only an assumption

SWTOR feels more like a Mass Effect game than playing WOW or LOTRO. Also single player games are not all single player, they do have multiplayer modes eg Mass Effect 3, Star Trek (not STO the recently released game based on the new films). It just feels like extortion when paying for a monthly fee to this game as do not have to pay a fee for those games, and especially now with the Cartel Market where subbers are expected to pay for stuff as well when it should be free within the monthly fee eg life day items, anniversary items other MMOs give it free or put it in an event plus this latest update has caused a bit of an uproar

Basically what I was getting at is the fact it has little end game content, you play the game through from 1-50, play a bit at the end, but do not stick around much,  unlike other MMOs - this is standard play through of a single player game, whereas MMOs you play long after max level. The only thing that really keeps people playing is creating alts, but for some that is boring. In SWG you only really needed one character and there was plenty of stuff to do at max level. In STO there is plenty of stuff to do at max level. There is in other MMOs too. SWTOR has the lowest amount of stuff to do at max level. The fact that the game lost over 1.5 million subs (75% of the people who bought the game from launch) within 11 months plus the numerous articles on this site and elsewhere about this matter, proves this to be the case, and I am not the only one.  Once max level any other MMO is more worth while, and SWTORs strengths of wanting to play it just go bye bye

well compared to wow right now yeah there isn't as much end game content.

but if you remember, after wow first came out there wasn't a lot of end game content either.

i think it was BW's every intention to come out with all this new content, because they thought they would get paid like wow did.

they are also spending a lot of time on their cartel market crap to make the game profitable for them, something wow didn't have an issue with.

as far as the space combat goes, its a mini game. just like fishing or those harpoon type quests in wow (for example)

mini games like that are not supposed to be muliplayer, even though i do think it would be cool to see swtor with full blown free roam space content.

you still don't see wow with anything like that other than under water content i guess.

but still, even if wow didn't have under water content, would it be any less of an mmo and more of a single player game? no, not in my opinion.

i get what you are saying that swtor lacks in its mmo features and end game is lackluster, i agree with you.

but it really doesn't play any more like a single player game than most the other themeparks that are similar to wow.

they all play like a single player game to me with their more scripted content more like a single player.

like i said, wow was the game to introduce that type of single player content to the mmo genre.

There is zero single player feel in WOW. 

As someone who loved WOW for several years with that being the only game that I played more than 1 full year non stop, you just lost any credibility. I do agree however that SWTOR feels even more single player than WOW, but they BOTH have a single player feel for 95%+ of the content.

Well, it does not feel single player to me

well I'm sure many posters who like SWTOR would says that it doesn't feel single player to them. Whats your point? You must have been playing a different WOW than the rest of us. You could solo 95% of the content which is unfortunately what most did and still do.

There Is Always Hope!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Tierless

It has 2 options, patch in everything it's missing that SWG had, OR, put this lame horse down and make a new MMO that lives up to the name Star Wars.

Please don't make it like SWG because that game sucked and failed despite how long it was standing on its last legs for years.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    The game needs more story content. More class stories, companion stories etc. That's it:)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    The game needs more story content. More class stories, companion stories etc. That's it:)

I agree with a lot of your posts, but even though I'm generally a supporter of it, TOR needs more than that. It needs immersion with a less static  and linear feel with the social hubs in the right places. The points you wrote they actually did pretty good to me, though in order to survive I agree they will need more of what you wrote.

There Is Always Hope!

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I agree with a lot of your posts, but even though I'm generally a supporter of it, TOR needs more than that. It needs immersion with a less static  and linear feel with the social hubs in the right places. The points you wrote they actually did pretty good to me, though in order to survive I agree they will need more of what you wrote.

Right now I am in RP event with my guildies on Nar Shaddaa. We are pretty immersed I would say. Sure it would not hurt to have all what you said, but really people who play SWTOR right now are hungry for stories. It's enough for it to survive.

Now for it to thrive... it needs space project, some alternate questing etc... I hope all this is in work :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Hello,

so I tried out SWTOR for some time. Let these videos show you what is missing in SWTOR in my opinion:

PVP OFF-RAILS SPACE COMBAT

This would be nice.

SPACE EXPLORATION

Also would be nice.

STAR SYSTEMS

Would be amazing.

SPACE TRADING

Smuggler's and Bounty Hunter's paradise.

SPACE MINING

ATMOSPHERIC FLIGHT

OPEN WORLD

LESS INSTANCING

DAY / NIGHT / WEATHER CYCLES

PLAYER HOUSING

CAPITAL SHIPS

DEATHSTAR

PLAYER CITIES

Cheers

Doc B

There's too many things in this list.  It would be unrealistic for Bioware to do most of these.  The current game is designed with major flaws, that it would take years to implement these, and in that case, they might as well shut down SWTOR, save money, and rebuild another Star Wars MMO from scratch.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

As someone who loved WOW for several years with that being the only game that I played more than 1 full year non stop, you just lost any credibility. I do agree however that SWTOR feels even more single player than WOW, but they BOTH have a single player feel for 95%+ of the content.

That 95% figure is laughable.  There is plenty of group content throughout both games, and most MMOs for that matter.  God forbid that MMO devs want to let others solo while leveling.  Forced grouping as the only progression path is a terrible idea.  This complaint always comes  up when people equate leveling with group content.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

agree,,adding Group content to the levelling process is a sure way to lose players

the same content will be better placed at endgame, where the players will appreciate it more

i know, wow did the same, but their dungeons are  optional, they have lots of other PVE content

i can do instead

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by mrrshann618     Originally posted by superniceguy SWTOR is basically a more polished version of the NGE with less features, it is the NGE NGE'd but written from the ground up. Why do people keep comparing SWG sandbox crud with a themepark game? They are two different games. They have two different target audiences. SWG (NGE) was a sandbox that added Themepark elements, SWG fanatics admit as such. So why, why, why can't all of you see, that you hated the themepark elements? Why oh why is it then that you come to SWTOR and bitch about a thempark game? when it blatantly is one.    
    There are themepark games that are actually good, and have been managed well. I like LOTRO and that is not a sandbox.   The way SWTOR has been designed is so basic that it even makes WOW and LOTRO, theme park games, seem like a sandbox. It just plays too much like a single player game. EA/BW did not take advice from Han Solo and got cocky. Basically SWTOR just needs more content and features and not just more Operations, Flashpoints etc. Theme park games get this too, Rift had housing added with the expansion. If it can't get these things then it is not a MMO but a single player game with multiplayer and getting DLC like Mass Effect 3. If it was released as a single player game like ME3, then I would just play it and then move on, but as it is meant to be a MMO, it should expand with more features, and none have gained my interest so far. Maybe 2.2 or 2.3 or 2.4 ...? Even Rift impressed me with their updates, hopefully SWTOR will, and until it does then will keep "bitching" about it
      wow and lotro play like single player games as well. SWTOR is a wow clone for god sakes lol the only difference is the world is a bit more open (even though certain worlds in SWTOR are just as open as wow's) and the open pvp was done better because you actually do the quests in the same areas as the opposing faction most of the time after level 20. also, a lot of sandbox features you are talking about does nothing in terms of making it feel less like a single player game. most themeparks since wow released have focused more on being solo friendly and having that "single player feel". wow is the game that really introduced that and made it to where you can play the game all the way to max level by yourself, other than doing small group dungeons and BG's......exactly the same as SWTOR. so tell me again how SWTOR plays too much like a single player game and wow does not?  
    In WOW and LOTRO you are not so much directed on a set path. In LOTRO and WOW you can do most all quests from any NPC as long as you are the right level, but in SWTOR you can only do quests given to you. eg Smuggler / Commando can not get quests from Tython and Jedi can not get quests from Ord Mantell unless they have specific ones to get from there, whereas if SWTOR was like WOW or LOTRO you would be able to.   With WOW and LOTRO there is more reason to travel back to areas with lower levels, in SWTOR there is less reason to do so. WOW and LOTRO are more open, the worlds are more lifelike, and you can get side tracked with various things en route, but in SWTOR there is not much other than the quests themselves
      none of that makes wow play less like a single player than SWTOR. what you are talking about is linear content, that has absolutely no effect on the fact you can play wow like its a single player game just like you can in SWTOR. look at skyrim, is that not a single player game? yet its not as linear as wow. does that make it more massive multi player? lol also i would argue that SWTOR and its linear content is more on par with the KOTOR games which are extremely linear in the same manner. so i kind of understand why they did that but i definitely agree its a little confined for an mmo.  
    The main reason why I said it was like a single player game is because it is being updated like one - very few and far between. A single player game does get not get majorly revamped, just get content added, like what SWTOR is getting.

The other thing I forgot to say was the space game, that is pure 100% single player. When asking BW/EA if it will have multiplayer space, their response was it will not be there at launch, implying that it would come later, but there has been no signs of it, only the secret space project which is only an assumption

SWTOR feels more like a Mass Effect game than playing WOW or LOTRO. Also single player games are not all single player, they do have multiplayer modes eg Mass Effect 3, Star Trek (not STO the recently released game based on the new films). It just feels like extortion when paying for a monthly fee to this game as do not have to pay a fee for those games, and especially now with the Cartel Market where subbers are expected to pay for stuff as well when it should be free within the monthly fee eg life day items, anniversary items other MMOs give it free or put it in an event plus this latest update has caused a bit of an uproar

Basically what I was getting at is the fact it has little end game content, you play the game through from 1-50, play a bit at the end, but do not stick around much,  unlike other MMOs - this is standard play through of a single player game, whereas MMOs you play long after max level. The only thing that really keeps people playing is creating alts, but for some that is boring. In SWG you only really needed one character and there was plenty of stuff to do at max level. In STO there is plenty of stuff to do at max level. There is in other MMOs too. SWTOR has the lowest amount of stuff to do at max level. The fact that the game lost over 1.5 million subs (75% of the people who bought the game from launch) within 11 months plus the numerous articles on this site and elsewhere about this matter, proves this to be the case, and I am not the only one.  Once max level any other MMO is more worth while, and SWTORs strengths of wanting to play it just go bye bye

well compared to wow right now yeah there isn't as much end game content.

but if you remember, after wow first came out there wasn't a lot of end game content either.

i think it was BW's every intention to come out with all this new content, because they thought they would get paid like wow did.

they are also spending a lot of time on their cartel market crap to make the game profitable for them, something wow didn't have an issue with.

as far as the space combat goes, its a mini game. just like fishing or those harpoon type quests in wow (for example)

mini games like that are not supposed to be muliplayer, even though i do think it would be cool to see swtor with full blown free roam space content.

you still don't see wow with anything like that other than under water content i guess.

but still, even if wow didn't have under water content, would it be any less of an mmo and more of a single player game? no, not in my opinion.

i get what you are saying that swtor lacks in its mmo features and end game is lackluster, i agree with you.

but it really doesn't play any more like a single player game than most the other themeparks that are similar to wow.

they all play like a single player game to me with their more scripted content more like a single player.

like i said, wow was the game to introduce that type of single player content to the mmo genre.

There is zero single player feel in WOW. 

Well, it does not feel single player to me

well I'm sure many posters who like SWTOR would says that it doesn't feel single player to them. Whats your point? You must have been playing a different WOW than the rest of us. You could solo 95% of the content which is unfortunately what most did and still do.

With WOW (and any other MMO like LOTRO, EQ2, Vanguard, Rift etc) the game feels like a MMO and not single player, and even though when playing solo, that is my choice - to be a loner amongst many other people, plus enjoy playing with others if the situation arises.

WOW has little instancing, and you always come across other players doing the same missions as yourself. SWTOR is instanced, and when in an instance will only see yourself and no other players.

With SWTOR  I do not have any urges at all to play with others, it feels like I am playing a Mass Effect or Dragon Age game, and just stay focussed on my own enjoyment, especially with a companion, which has the same name as every one else. If you could change the names of your companion that would help immersion a bit, like you can in STO.

As for STO that is single player or MMO, the choice is yours  -in options you can open yourself to automatic teaming for missions, or you can block people off and play solo.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by simplius

agree,,adding Group content to the levelling process is a sure way to lose players

the same content will be better placed at endgame, where the players will appreciate it more

i know, wow did the same, but their dungeons are  optional, they have lots of other PVE content

i can do instead

Mind you the last 2 quests of the expansion are heroic 4 missions , I guess because they are at the end then it's close to end-game. Still solo players won't be able to have the microbinoculars and a seeker droid in their mission items instead of being part of the quest items , if they don't group up.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• MckiedizMckiediz Member Posts: 48
    Space exploration? Most unlikely. Space action combat in open map ( involving Capital ships)? Most certainly, because this is what Stars Wars is about.
    Originally posted by BadOrb

i can do instead

Mind you the last 2 quests of the expansion are heroic 4 missions , I guess because they are at the end then it's close to end-game. Still solo players won't be able to have the microbinoculars and a seeker droid in their mission items instead of being part of the quest items , if they don't group up.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

an mmo is a business

the moment, that you start putting restrictions on customers, youre basically saying no to Money

imagine, if the new star wars movies would only be accessible to those, who dont wear glasses?

why? because only people with perfect vision can enjoy the movie at its full potential

there would still be more logic to this, than the usual "but its an mmo, so players HAVE to Group"

i rarely Group in mmos anymore,,too many bad experiences

but single player games just feel so empty and boring in comparison

so im one of the new breed of mmo players,,i solo , when i can,,Group , if i have to,,but not for long

swtor was pretty bad in that respect,,,most  of the FP/heroics i did , was done in total silence, except

for the SPACEBAR yellers, some players didnt even respond with a simple "hey"

why do you think sandbox is dying? because devs know better, than to give the new mmo player

too much control of their game

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

With WOW (and any other MMO like LOTRO, EQ2, Vanguard, Rift etc) the game feels like a MMO and not single player, and even though when playing solo, that is my choice - to be a loner amongst many other people, plus enjoy playing with others if the situation arises.WOW has little instancing, and you always come across other players doing the same missions as yourself. SWTOR is instanced, and when in an instance will only see yourself and no other players.With SWTOR  I do not have any urges at all to play with others, it feels like I am playing a Mass Effect or Dragon Age game, and just stay focussed on my own enjoyment, especially with a companion, which has the same name as every one else. If you could change the names of your companion that would help immersion a bit, like you can in STO.As for STO that is single player or MMO, the choice is yours  -in options you can open yourself to automatic teaming for missions, or you can block people off and play solo.

wow has little instancing? LOL are you joking?

not only does wow have instancing and a lot of it, it also has phasing.

SWTOR is a wow clone, its so similar to wow its borderline comical, especialy with the way they handle character customization with very similar talent trees, same type of pvp and raid progression that's istanced.

the differences are that wows world is a bit more open and instead of having cut scenes with every NPC interaction, in wow you just read text.

just because it "feels" more single player to you because wow's world feels more open and doesn't have many cut scenes, doesn't mean very much to me because i absolutely disagree with that assessment.

when leveling up, the vast majority of wow players played solo just like they do in SWTOR.

there is just as much group content in SWTOR than there was in wow (when you consider the ratio between solo and group content, wow obviously has more content overall)

i remember when i first started playing wow after leaving EQ and i almost quit because me and a few friends wanted to group at low levels but it was almost completely pointless.

heck, i would argue that there were less group quests in wow than there are heroic quests in SWTOR at low to mid level range, although i am not totally sure about that.

but again, more freedom and even less instancing doesn't make a game feel less single player when you are almost forced to lvl up by yourself anyways.

bottom line is WOW is the grand daddy of MMO's that play like single player games, you seem to be in denial about that.

wow has WAY fewer loading screens, than swtor

wow also have a lot more zones directly connected, for better immersion

maybe the solo/Group ratios are similar, but thanks to wows larger number of total quests,

players can decide for themselves, what they want to do

wow doesnt FORCE you to stand around, and wait for a FP group

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    imho swtor needs a f2p model like RIFT's one. I played swtor about 2 months after release. i was never a big fan of it, but i don't think its a bad game. for me it doesn't deserves a sub though and its current payment model sucks. if i was to give it a second try, it would be only if it was like RIFT, in which btw i have great fun since i got back. great game, great f2p model.
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Manolios
    imho swtor needs a f2p model like RIFT's one. I played swtor about 2 months after release. i was never a big fan of it, but i don't think its a bad game. for me it doesn't deserves a sub though and its current payment model sucks. if i was to give it a second try, it would be only if it was like RIFT, in which btw i have great fun since i got back. great game, great f2p model.

What ? it's not even F2P yet . I don't like the sound of selling high level gear in their cash shop and that thing you can buy for RM and sell for ingame credits sounds very lame , but hey each to their own. I rather like trion after playing Defiance so good luck to them , if they get one single thing wrong though the flames will start. I rather believe they panicked when SWTOR announced it was going free to play and got to converting it ASAP. Don't blame them either , the MMO market is shifting and changing rather rapidly. Will we ever get a pure sub game again ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

wow has WAY fewer loading screens, than swtorwow also have a lot more zones directly connected, for better immersionmaybe the solo/Group ratios are similar, but thanks to wows larger number of total quests,players can decide for themselves, what they want to dowow doesnt FORCE you to stand around, and wait for a FP group

yes players can decide at low levels what Continent they want to solo quest on (until level 60 at least), your point? does that make it feel less like a single player game because they have a choice of two areas to solo? lol

and yes wow does force you to wait around to join a group, especially when you consider wow was exactly the same way a little more than a year after its launch.

as it is now, in wow you just stand in a city and wait for the queue to pop, remind me how that is supposed to make it more immersive or less like a single player game?

as far as loading screens go, point taken. loading screens in SWTOR is one of the more annoying things about the game IMO

but it certainly doesn't make it feel any more or less like a single player game, just less immersive or less like a simulated world and more like a video game.

but then again, sitting in org and waiting for your queue to pop isn't much better now is it?

Originally posted by Manolios

how many posts are you going to make about this in the SWTOR forums?

SWTOR doesn't need rifts F2P model, its doing just fine the way it is.

if people don't want to sub then they can play a gimped version of the game, makes no difference to me since i sub to games that i play more than just a few hours a week.

i would argue that SWTOR's model is actually the smarter one from a business standpoint because it forces you to sub if you like the game.

rather than make the freeloaders happy with a near totally free game so they can play it and never spend a dime.

i think games that offer the best F2P models are the games that are the most desperate.

once SWTOR offers a better F2P option then i will start to worry about the state of the game going forward.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Open world is the only one that would make me even think twice of returning... Until they do that I will never look back.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"