Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think a high sub fee would keep out the unwanted ?

RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

I have noticed that as more games go F2P there are more asshats around than ever before. Even my favorite shooter (CounterStrike) is so jacked up with hackers these days its no fun to play. I see more and more hacking and more punk-ass kids talking trash in chat and greifing guilds popping up.

Do you think a rated M game with say a $25. a mo. sub fee would curb these losers ?  Would you pay that a month to be in a better more mature community ? I would probably pay more to be honest with you but I have $$ to burn.

What do you think ? 

EDIT : after learning about the EQ Legacy server I believe that would be the answer if done right.

Possibly a more expensive server that offers things like player housing and other community driven items.

Not a new game but a new server.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Redcor

I have noticed that as more games go F2P there are more asshats around than ever before. Even my favorite shooter (CounterStrike) is so jacked up with hackers these days its no fun to play. I see more and more hacking and more punk-ass kids talking trash in chat and greifing guilds popping up.

Do you think a rated M game with say a $25. a mo. sub fee would curb these losers ?  Would you pay that a month to be in a better more mature community ? I would probably pay more to be honest with you but I have $$ to burn.

What do you think ? 

It would probably be a great thing for MMOs as a whole, because it would keep a pocket of the unwanted out of the everyone else's game.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

What do you think ? 

It would probably be a great thing for MMOs as a whole, because it would keep a pocket of the unwanted out of the everyone else's game.

I'm guessing that you're alluding to what I was going to explicitly say before I read your reply:  an M-rated game would be likely to attract exactly the bad elements more so than most other games.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

It have to be really low budget to support a vastly smaller playerbase. Look at all the subscription games that are failing and turning free to play or freemium.

Only three (maybe two, the third is still rather new) MMOs are a success in their genre.

WoW (and that is losing subs like crazy, but was highest subbed game and still is)

EVE (the best sandbox game out there. They offer TONS of PvE content, and TONS of PvP content. Its the only sandbox MMO to offer content for PvErs AND PvPers. I played EVE purely as a PvE game, while avoiding PvP. But I did PvP when forced to, as was part of the game. I based myself in nullsec (vastly safer than high sec and immensly safer than low sec) and did wormholes and tons of PvE stuff...made so much ISK)

And GW2 as a buy to play MMO. But rather new to see how it does in the end.

Every other MMO outside those two (that aren't newly released, as newly released games like GW2 can't be considered a success or failure)...has gone free to play or shut down because they didn't want to go free to play. Or classic MMOs (Asheron's Call, UO) having a stable, but tiny playerbase...but those cost much less than new MMOs to maintain.

So with that. A high sub fee would mean, it...again...have to be much lower budget to support much lower playerbase. The world would have to be much smaller as well, otherwise the people playing it will complain there is no one around to group or socialize with (like what happened with Vanguard).

TLDR-

So three things:

MUCH smaller world, at least 100 usd a month to cover the much smaller player base, and much lower budget to support the smaller player base.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    Age of Conan is rated M. I would not refer to its player base as unwanted. In fact some of the most mature gamers I have met were in AoC.

-Robert E. Howard

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

yeah lets raise the monthly subscription, as if thats what we need. Sub based mmos keep failing and now blind gamers want to pay even more for the same unfinished garbage. Wooh!

Send a message to EA so they can begin with the new prices. Meanwhile ill keep waiting for the most expensive ones to fail and turn f2p even faster than regular 15/mo rate. Then ill laugh last.

sub fanboys either dont understand or just refuse to accept that sub based mmos are not failing because they are charging too little. They are failing because they spend too much money making the game and then start  charging money  for unfinished mediocre quality products. Fanboyism is a bad thing.

Age of Conan is rated M. I would not refer to its player base as unwanted. In fact some of the most mature gamers I have met were in AoC.

I don't know how the PvE servers were, since I only PvP in MMOs and don't care about doing raids over and over and over. But damn, forgot the PvP server I was on...but it had a community worse than 4chan...no joke...

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

It would definitely keep out the freeloaders that flock to F2P games but wouldn't attract the whales that love to spend wads of cash to buy advantages over everyone else(In their perception) that also flock to those titles and fund them.

Good Luck convincing a company that it should cut out a potential boat load of paying customers to benefit a unidentified group that promises it will pay higher sub fees.

Originally posted by Drakynn

It would definitely keep out the freeloaders that flock to F2P games but wouldn't attract the whales that love to spend wads of cash to buy advantages over everyone else(In their perception) that also flock to those titles and fund them.

Good Luck convincing a company that it should cut out a potential boat load of paying customers to benefit a unidentified group that promises it will pay higher sub fees.

It would work if they made the world very small (otherwise it would be far too empty of people, like in Vanguard)...and a much smaller overhead to support a much smaller playerbase.

Originally posted by TheScavenger

I don't know how the PvE servers were, since I only PvP in MMOs and don't care about doing raids over and over and over. But damn, forgot the PvP server I was on...but it had a community worse than 4chan...no joke...

Night and day difference between pve and pvp servers on AoC but I find that to be the case on all games.

-Robert E. Howard

Originally posted by Drakynn

in subscription mmos that cost 15 a month there are no freeloaders. How would raising the subscription over 15 stop freeloaders when everyone was already paying 15 a month in order to play?

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    It appears from this thread that a number of people do not like F2Pers and refer to them  as unwanted and undesirable.  Do  you know what the developers call them?  Profit.  So, stop your kvetching because it's simply not going to change.  And, with a high sub fee, people will expect more from the game.  Eventually, the game dies because people move on for a variety of reasons; thus, the decision is go F2P and garner a large following, or, keep it a sub game (regardless of monthly fee) and watch the people disappear like water from a leaky bucket.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162

What do you think ? 

Me, personally, I would be glad to pay $25 a month for a no cash shop game that was everything I am looking for in a game.  That's just not going to happen, but yes, I would pay that much.

That's a bit off from you main point though, so here goes.  Your point assumes two things,

1. most "pillars of the community" mature players have that money to spend.

2. most of the jerks, hackers, trash talking greifers do not have that money to spend.

I just don't think either of these are accurate. 

i have the solution for subscribers who want to pay more.

Devs make an mmo with 2 subscription prices, $15/month, and 25/month. Everyone gets exact the same thing. Whever wants to pay more choose the 25 option. Everyone else pay the standard price of 15. Nobody demands more content than the rest because it was their choice to pay more for the sake of doing it. We all play happily a good sub based mmo away from freeloaders that you hate so much

Originally posted by Skooma2
    It appears from this thread that a number of people do not like F2Pers and refer to them  as unwanted and undesirable.  Do  you know what the developers call them?  Profit.

And how exactly do developers profit off of people who will never spend a dime on the game even if they love it?  The hope of a free to play/item mall game is that some of the players will eventually pay, and that's how you make your profit.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Barrens Chat, nuff said.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by Skooma2
    It appears from this thread that a number of people do not like F2Pers and refer to them  as unwanted and undesirable.  Do  you know what the developers call them?  Profit.  So, stop your kvetching because it's simply not going to change.  And, with a high sub fee, people will expect more from the game.  Eventually, the game dies because people move on for a variety of reasons; thus, the decision is go F2P and garner a large following, or, keep it a sub game (regardless of monthly fee) and watch the people disappear like water from a leaky bucket.

It not F2Pers its the element that comes with them that has no interest in community and only plans to play long enough to grief and talk trash. They never last long but unfortunately there is a steady stream of them. 

Its another debate but I see these guys come in and complain endlessly about the pvp of a game so that the developers must work hard to please them while forsaking pve elements and by the time they have made the effort to please these morons they have already moved on to another game.

-Robert E. Howard

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ooh! A private club for affluent MMOers. What a unique idea! I wonder why no one has ever thought to do that in real life? ...oh wait...
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Finding ways to peacefully coexist with anyone and everyone feels like an important part of the social game.

To me, there are no unwanted in my game, just unwanted-in-my-face.

• RigurRigur Member Posts: 53
    It's just a numbers game. 10 million players 30% jerks = 3 million idiots to run into. As a game becomes smaller you have less jerks to run into so the community becomes better. On the higher sub not sure if it would work EQ had a legends server for 45$ a month for awhile. I only tried it for one month so can't really say how the community was.

The first MMO you loved will always be the best. You will never get that feeling back stop trying.

Originally posted by Rigur
    It's just a numbers game. 10 million players 30% jerks = 3 million idiots to run into. As a game becomes smaller you have less jerks to run into so the community becomes better. On the higher sub not sure if it would work EQ had a legends server for 45$ a month for awhile. I only tried it for one month so can't really say how the community was.

Now that's a good idea, a more expensive server. Do they still have it running ?

-Robert E. Howard

I've sometimes wondered what would happen if a game tried to charge $50/month.  If it meant that they lost half of their players as compared to charging $15/month, they'd still make more money at it this way.  If it meant that they lost 90% of their players, then the model becomes a failure.

If you try to charge $16/month rather than $15/month, then you probably lose a decent number of customers just due to human spite.  But if you charge a lot more and lose a lot of your customers, that may be all right.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I would think mommy and daddy just pay  the subscription . Paying is a weak tool to constrain jerks.
  • TjedTjed Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Rigur
     EQ had a legends server for 45$ a month for awhile. I only tried it for one month so can't really say how the community was.

My goodness I haven't thought about Stormhammer in a very long time.  Made me go dig this up:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/everquest-legends-qanda-2848677

It lasted a little while, I never played on it, but I had some friends that tried it out.  It did have a very similar design concept to what the OP suggested. 

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    oh good. another unwashed masses thread.
  • Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

No. Parents already pay for the "asshats" games and subscription fee's so no i don't think it would do anything other than make even less people subscribe due to its high cost.

On top of that there are plenty of adult asshats paying their own fee's. It's a numbers name like Rigur said.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter