Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter MMO Puzzles, C'mon! Really!?

SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
I was excited to see there was a secret entrance to find after nearly twenty levels.  Ooo, a puzzle!  Then I figured it out...very underwhelming.  Where has the difficulty/challenge gone.  I know Neverwinter isn't meant to be hardcore, but  a little mental exercise now and again would be nice.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

Comments

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    I don't know how you ever survived.
  • BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Maybe they'll get harder? :P

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• DanerilDaneril Member Posts: 41

Totally agree. There are some statues in the Plague Tower that you are supposed to turn as a "Puzzle". You basically just click them all once so they face you and that's the end of the Puzzle. Took me about a second to complete.

And that's the only Puzzle i found in the game and i'm level 60 now.

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    I loved the riddles in Lord of the Rings Online. I imagine they became repetitive for the veterans but my initial reaction was joyous. Applying that to Neverwinter would be welcomed.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I was surprised to open an in game mail telling me i was allowed to use the editor,i was extremely happy.

However what i found explained why the game has not a whole lot going for it.

So you pick an asset and lay it down on the map,no real time 3D view.It takes way too much effort to work with a tool set like that,i would have to play test it way too often to get the map i want.

There are only a few systems to work with inside of your choices to create a compelling quest.This is also why you see the same walls and assets used  repeatedly throughout the game.You have to from what i gathered pick everything from a pre set be it an empty map or one already in game,which i noticed many people are doing.That carries a lot of limitations with it,like not being able to manipulate terrain that even the simple Minecraft allows you to do.You also cannot manipulate the assets either,so ya very limited tool set.

Bottom line is that this was a very limited game designed around a cheap budget supported by a very weak game engine.Long story short this game does not have the ability to create anything exciting unless the developer creates some new assets/systems from scratch.

The pro to this is  ,it does open up the learning experience for people that never knew what goes into making a game.it also opens up the ability to see more of this in the future.I have seen the laziness from developers,so this idea makes sense,let the gamer's create the content.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Op,if you havent tried The Secret World yet,it may be something you would like..

some of the quests really require a lot of thought..

Thats really the only game today where youre going to find challenging,thought provoking content.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by tank017

Op,if you havent tried The Secret World yet,it may be something you would like..

Thats really the only game today where youre going to find challenging,thought provoking content.

DDO is well beyond that even, imo. They have tons of dungeons that feel much more alive and some of the most amazing puzzles put into an action game.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

I second this suggestion for the OP. Definitely a fun game and will have the mental challenge you're looking for. You can get a 3 day buddy key from anyone so I'd check either the sticky in the TSW forum here, or just make a post on TSW's subreddit (likely the fastest way to go).

• PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136

About to hit 60. Not a single non-trivial puzzle in the vanilla content so far. I've encountered some interesting jumping puzzles in the foundry (Try May's trick jumping).

Have to disagree that TSW is challenging either. It's slightly less trivial, but still trivial. At least NWO has potential due to the foundry. 

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

That's if idiots in Chat aren't giving spoilers out every 5 lines of text.  I recommend TSW for a puzzle-aholic but to really enjoy it you have to keep the General Chat window closed to get the most out of them.

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

I've ran into a couple good puzzles in some of the foundry missions. I don't know if they were intentional or just poorly thought out mechanics mind you, but they puzzled me nonetheless.

Other than that I agree, the most puzzling thing in the actual game so far is why anyone would pay 40 bucks for a mount from the cash shop. That one baffles me.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Piechunks

About to hit 60. Not a single non-trivial puzzle in the vanilla content so far. I've encountered some interesting jumping puzzles in the foundry (Try May's trick jumping).

Have to disagree that TSW is challenging either. It's slightly less trivial, but still trivial. At least NWO has potential due to the foundry. 

i actually doubt you did alot of  investigation quests

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

The foundry has the power to do things like puzzles. They made it so those puzzle objectives have to be tied to the quest tracker though.. which makes them kinda pointless. Instead of putting an objective like "Find a way through the door".. the foundry forces your objective to read "Pull lever 0/2". So instantly you know you are looking for levers and the golden path leads you straight to them (if you have it on). The minimap will always lead you to them, so even if there are 50 levers in a room.. you know exactly which two you need to use.

.. and there lies the problem.

If they removed that link to the tracker.. someone could then put a note down somewhere with clues about the right levers, such as each lever having a symbol in front of it and a note nearby with riddles that hint at which symbols to look for. Will they ever remove this link to the quest tracker? Doubt it. The right levers will probably always be sparkly and glowing, on the minimap and have a golden path leading straight to them. Shame really...

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

That's if idiots in Chat aren't giving spoilers out every 5 lines of text.  I recommend TSW for a puzzle-aholic but to really enjoy it you have to keep the General Chat window closed to get the most out of them.

Well,in my case I dont pay attention to general chat at all.Only when im in Agartha or a city really.