Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP?

SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
Good looks hardcore, great...full owpvp?

Incognito
www.incognito-gaming.us
"You're either with us or against us"

Comments

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by SirBalin

yep. Although there will be a low pvp/high pvp slider for the more secure star systems, but in lawless space... there are no laws. lots of pirating, ship boarding and ship capturing ahead.

It won't be a carebear MMO, that's pretty sure.

Also a permadeath and next of kin system . Check the "death of a spaceman" article on their website

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by FromHell

yep. Although there will be a low pvp/high pvp slider for the more secure star systems, but in lawless space... there are no laws. lots of pirating, ship boarding and ship capturing ahead.

Also a permadeath and next of kin system . Check the "death of a spaceman" article on their website

That's amazing

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

That's amazing

expect lots of chaos out in lawless space, people going for headshots during boarding ect.

shooting ejection pods in lawfull systems, well that just doesnt end well for anyone (current balance philosophy similar to eve where you get hammered by the cops non stop once you are known to be scum)

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

I'm not sure about it not being a Carebear mmo.

1. Lawless space=high crime space-out of the first twenty something systems, only two are high crime(answered in the first couple pages of Ben Lesnicks ask a dev section)

2. Slider protects people from even seeing PvP'ers in the majority of the universe

3. Boarding will really only be fun with the bengal, the PvE centric crowd at RSI's forums have persuaded the developers to include a self destruct system(Imagine every game with PvP if players could blow themselves up if they don't want to fight.....)

4. Permadeath is permadeath if you don't buy new lives(or whatever mechanic they add to do so), basically the PvE crowd again complained about attachment to their mains so much that now we can buy new lives, so there really is no fear of dying(unless your just stupid and don't restock lives) -hypothetical-start with 20 deaths, if you die 20 times you will have to start over as a next of kin. Then they added the ability to add more lives, so why would anyone run out?

So basically, even though I've pledged to this game(I'm a hype monster, and paid for something impulsively), this games PvP is starting to wane every day in my opinion.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    This game looks as if it is shapping up nicely, could be a lot of PvP goodness!!

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by william0532

1. Lawless space=high crime space-out of the first twenty something systems, only two are high crime(answered in the first couple pages of Ben Lesnicks ask a dev section)

2. Slider protects people from even seeing PvP'ers in the majority of the universe

3. Boarding will really only be fun with the bengal, the PvE centric crowd at RSI's forums have persuaded the developers to include a self destruct system(Imagine every game with PvP if players could blow themselves up if they don't want to fight.....)

4. Permadeath is permadeath if you don't buy new lives(or whatever mechanic they add to do so), basically the PvE crowd again complained about attachment to their mains so much that now we can buy new lives, so there really is no fear of dying(unless your just stupid and don't restock lives) -hypothetical-start with 20 deaths, if you die 20 times you will have to start over as a next of kin. Then they added the ability to add more lives, so why would anyone run out?

So basically, even though I've pledged to this game(I'm a hype monster, and paid for something impulsively), this games PvP is starting to wane every day in my opinion.

Well, that sounds terrible. Guess another good concept gets gradually ruined by complaining carebears?

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Well, that sounds terrible. Guess another good concept gets gradually ruined by complaining carebears?

Hopefully the forums there make it sound worse than it really is. They are relaunching the site in a couple months, hopefully all the information will be easier to flesh out.

I always thought it would be awesome if a developer listened to polls, until I started following the site (Star Citizen), where the developer does listen to polls, but PvP'ers are outnumbered lol. 

I guess the good thing about the PvP slider(or player interaction slider as it's called now), is that you can't essentially turn PvP completely off. One of the developers said you can never completely turn PvP off, but lower it to very low levels(he gave 1% as a pure hypothetical). So that may be something.

I started trying to rationalize it as this(complete made up rationalizing in my mind, so not factual lol)...

If there is 100 systems at launch, with five big sectors per system, that's 500 areas where players could be after launch. If only 100k people like PvP and turn their slider to full, then there could essentially be 200 PvP'ers per zone, and you would never really see PvE'ers. So that part, may be ok.

So far their shooting for 40 to 100 players per instance(because of graphics), so this slider thing, might be a way to filter PvE'ers completely out of our hair. I'm not sure, really how this will work. 

The other good thing is, they will put the good stuff in lawless space. So there is an incentive(even though looking at those that mine high sec in EVE, sometimes players will take the path of least resistence despite "reward or incentives"

So all in all, I'm not sure how it will end up. I do know PvP'ers are far outnumbered at the site, and the developers do listen to the community there(as garnered by how many things they have changed at the players request)

I'm still hopeful, but cautiously optimistic.

And sometimes, I do get completely burnt out like I was after my first post, after reading a thread at StarCitizens site where the player base wants to make boarding worthless by adding a self destruct mechanism. Being able to board ships was the coolest thing I've ever heard of in a space sim, why ruin it? So I was a little angry with my first post lol, I had just read that thread where the PvE'ers where posting developer quotes about there will be self destructs. My bad if I came off too doom and gloomy.

• CsickCsick Member UncommonPosts: 20

William these guys are going to beta test all the functions of everything.. they are not going to make a game that isn't fun... if there is a problem with the self destruct system they will adjust it or remove it based on the general consensus. There could be limitations for it like you can only set it off once an enemy has boarded... ever play counter-strike??? if you can kill the enemy and diffuse the bomb then the ships yours... maybe they will make it so when you start a self destruct sequence you cant eject after and so it counts as a death instead of ejecting.  Basically they can control and adjust any part of the game through little changes like that. 

PvP in this game as currently proposed will be extremely exhilarating... if there was no permadeath, item loss, and a chance to take over ships and steal cargo the game would be boring... 

They will likely make a cap on how many lifes you can buy in a certain amount of time... Good players wont need lives its going to make you have to be serious if you want to fly in low to no-sec areas where all the best precious metals,  ship & weapon dealerships, and other high value points of interest. You will likely see fleets of ships in these areas battling it out for the right to mine there for as long as they want sucking it temporarily dry of resources..

Death can be avoided by having ships in these large fleets pilot large-capacity ships with room to pickup players who eject from their ships before dying... once you blow someones ship up, unless your just a douche and have a vendetta out for that player, you're not going to go after their escape pods. They have stated you will be able to pick up ejected friendly's and even earn a reward from their insurance company for doing it. Theres going to be other ways to escape before resorting to self explosion anyways, such as subspace drives that you can use to port out to a saved coordinate. They can just adjust how the technologies on these work and it will be awsome... 

Its pretty obvious you never played freespace 2.. fs2 is the best space/flight/dogfight simulator to date. They released its source code and for  more than 8 years there has been development on that code to upgrade its graphics and capabilities. There are standalone full modifications of the game using the upgraded engine such as Diaspora. Diaspora is a FREE standalone game utilizing the FreeSpace Open Source Project engine. Videos of it do not do it justice, just check it out. 

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81859.0 is the forum page for the release of the game. It has pretty low system spec's and you'll be suprised with how awsome it is. Just download and install the client, and download and install the patch 1.04.Patch 1.04 is REQUIRED for mouse controls (non-joystick) to function. Hit F2 in-game and select fs style controls. Make sure to max graphics settings and high memory effects and adjust your resolution from the launcher. Pay attention to the tutorial, adjust some controls to make them more convenient (such as bank left and right) and enjoy the game :D. Its pretty much how i imagine star citizen to play! If you want more, the campaign is short for diaspora... buy freespace 2 from gog.com and then install the FSO project from hard-light.net and start the game from the launcher, up the settings, and select mediavps ( enhanced graphics and effects mod ). Enjoy the epicness. You can play for days on playermade content for the FSO engine. Its all voice acted. Good Plots.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Wait...is this correct,if so you just destroyed this game for me...please say it aint so: 

1. Slider protects people from even seeing PvP'ers in the majority of the universe

2. So far their shooting for 40 to 100 players per instance(because of graphics), (Really...instances?)

If so...that's a dagger to me, once you make it so you can use sliders and things like that in pvp...all you did was make an ow bg.  Meaning that everyone in that area is just there for pvp.  For me the fun is having no clue when I'm going to get pummelled.  If I have to have my slider up for that...then I'm going to be watching for it...sucks if thats the case.  Please someone tell me it aint so!!!!

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us

• CsickCsick Member UncommonPosts: 20

Wait...is this correct,if so you just destroyed this game for me...please say it aint so: 

1. Slider protects people from even seeing PvP'ers in the majority of the universe

2. So far their shooting for 40 to 100 players per instance(because of graphics), (Really...instances?)

If so...that's a dagger to me, once you make it so you can use sliders and things like that in pvp...all you did was make an ow bg.  Meaning that everyone in that area is just there for pvp.  For me the fun is having no clue when I'm going to get pummelled.  If I have to have my slider up for that...then I'm going to be watching for it...sucks if thats the case.  Please someone tell me it aint so!!!!

The sliders wont work like that, the sliders are for when your traveling at the speed of light and you cross somebodies path, if you have pvp sliders towards pvp - you will come out of warp to fight. Lowering the slider only lowers the chance this could happen, doesn't eliminate it completely. Play Freespace 2 and you'll get an idea of how the instances can and will work. 40-100 players is A LOT.