Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] WildStar: The Summer of WildStar is Upon Us

Comments

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by theniffrig
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

How is it genre changing exactly?

Reading above and looking at the videos it seems to have the same stuff other MMOs have, albeit presented with a different skin. 

Factions, instanced PvP, Dungeons, Raiding, holy trinity, etc etc.

Nothing in the article convinces me that the game is particularly genre changing.

Have to agree with this. Wildstar has been the #1 Game in development on this site for along time now, but after I looked at it, it just reminds me of an up-dated WoW. Like WoW 2 or if WoW was released this year.

I don't get it. I know this site is home for the sandbox loving MMO players, players who want MMO's to be worlds, not just theme parks. I don't see why the game is so hyped on here especially.

Have I missed something about this game? Why is it the "next big thing" all of a sudden? (Serious question here)

Eh, more sandbox elements than I've seen in any major theme park before, no tab target combat, and not in a traditional fantasy setting has me interested in this game.  Not sure about everyone else though.

• MasterZedXMasterZedX Member UncommonPosts: 32
    i just want people to drop their stuff when i kill them......nothing more :) 
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

This game sure ain't genre-changing, but yeah it does look like a slightly evolved World of Warcraft.

This isn't a bad thing, consdering WoW is one of the most polished MMOs out there. And so many other MMOs have failed to be any better than WoW, so hey, why not. I'm looking forward to trying it and hoping it lasts at least a month or two (more than most MMOs today have lasted for me).

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Denambren

This game sure ain't genre-changing, but yeah it does look like a slightly evolved World of Warcraft.

This isn't a bad thing, consdering WoW is one of the most polished MMOs out there. And so many other MMOs have failed to be any better than WoW, so hey, why not. I'm looking forward to trying it and hoping it lasts at least a month or two (more than most MMOs today have lasted for me).

A lot of the founding staff of Carbine are Vanilla WoW guys. The likeness is not a coincidence. That said, I think they're dong a lot to make a game that has something for everyone.  Crafting, housing, PVP housing, dungeons, raids, world PVP, battlegrounds, exploring, achievements, and on and on. The question is: can it deliver all of this in a polished package? Will it all work? Will raiding be as big of a deal as they expect? I know a lot of ex Raiders, and most of them agree: they don't have time for it anymore.

But that said, I'm really excited to try this out.  I just hope it lives up to the design on paper we've seen so far.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Dungeons/raids not what i want from a MMO.I want underground zones that are open to everyone as should it is a mmo remember.

He says " i guess we picked the right testers" then next he says some guy wasted 5 hours exploiting a useless exploit,so ya i guess picked the right testers.

He mentioned technically was to test servers ,umm with 2k?That is like a dead server after a game has been around for a year or more.Oh well i guess you need to start somewhere.

Housing is absolutely great but as i mentioned before,in housing i want stuff that looks nice as i am sure others do as well.I don't like Fred Flintstone cartoony looking homes or items.I hope this is not the case but the graphic decision leans badly that way.

Also no mention if the telegraph system is working well,just says testers enjoyed the noobie experience.To be honest i think that is the case with any decent game,we are all overwhelmed by the NEW feeling a game gives us.It usually takes a week after repeating some of the mechanics over and over before we really get a feel for the game.

Still too early and as expected VAGUE statements don't really give us a true feeling of what to expect.

I do honestly love what this game is trying to do and they are trying to cover lots of content which is another huge positive.However certain aspects   they are trying to take  all the positive and turn the game right back into the same old same old ,you know RAIDING,open world pvp,the same stuff we hear in forums every day.

There are already a ton of games doing pvp and yes several have Raiding.I believe most love EQ2 type of  housing but would love it in an open world.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

A lot of the founding staff of Carbine are Vanilla WoW guys. The likeness is not a coincidence. That said, I think they're dong a lot to make a game that has something for everyone.  Crafting, housing, PVP housing, dungeons, raids, world PVP, battlegrounds, exploring, achievements, and on and on. The question is: can it deliver all of this in a polished package? Will it all work? Will raiding be as big of a deal as they expect? I know a lot of ex Raiders, and most of them agree: they don't have time for it anymore.

But that said, I'm really excited to try this out.  I just hope it lives up to the design on paper we've seen so far.

Very well said sir.  I completely agree.  There was this magic WoW once had that made me get off work and like a kid excited to play daily.  Most mmos now adays fill a casual schedule for me.  But, if I dare to play them more often, I tend to either burn through content and just get bored.  I played WoW from vanilla to Icecrown in WotLK.  If I have even 50% of the fun I had in WoW in those years, I'll know my time and money is being well spent.  

P.S.  Thanks for keeping us up on the Wildstar info.  I check the site and forums daily to try and find anything Wildstar lol.  No matter how trivial the information might be.  

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

I dunno Bill. The metric data disagree's with that idea. The amount played matches the age of players almost perfectly.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Can't wait

• chilltime99chilltime99 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Can't wait!!!

I've been checking my email many times a day looking for a beta key. Fingers and toes are crossed as I hope for one.
  • srpssrps Member UncommonPosts: 121

Hm, I'm not sure what to think of this one. I'll try to give an opinion solely based on what I've read in the article as I haven't been following this game.

Graphics look dated in the video (at first I thought it was Torchlight 2 zoomed in even). I don't know, for me it looks like even WoW has better graphics as of now, which is a bit off-putting at first.

But graphics sure aren't everything in a game (and something I don't care that much as long as it meets my threshold - WoW very barely meets it nowadays for comparison - so let's look at the rest.

From the looks of it it seems they're trying to bring some vanilla WoW experience, mixed with some new "tried-and-true" stuff, more action-oriented combat (actively dodging and stuff, I can't ascertain all the details) and solid animations.

From what I read it looks like they're bringing the 2-faction model back, probably setting up for a vanilla WoW open PvP experience. I'm not sure how collaboration works in the game, but if it's anything like WoW where you have to be grouped up (either in party or raid) to be able to decently help your mates (buffing, healing, resurecting, etc), then meh, I don't fondly recall that crappy experience from "back in the days". Let's see how it'll work here.

Hmm, 40-men raids? Day-lasting BG matches? I remember the epic vanilla raids (although my favorite were the BC ones, those were goddamn awesome, despite being 10-25-men ones) and the epic AVs, but I personally wouldn't be bothered to play them again nowadays. No time, no patience, and it seems the new gamer generation is more of MOBA-types or quick matches than properly day-lasting stuff, but hey, we'll see...

The exploration and mentoring bit made me recall GW2 (which I play with joy), only fine-tuned for a slightly different experience (optional mentoring for instance), and the part of the unique experience to try and make people go out in the world (probably setting up more PvP chances) looks cool.

That double-jump and sprint stuff made me remind of adventure games (Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter maybe?) and appears to be a nice feature if well-used. Again, I'll finish up with "let's see how will this pan out".

Right now I have plenty of "free" MMOs to play (Aion, TERA, TSW, Rift - in a month, Neverwinter, GW2), but I only actively play 2 of them (GW2 and Neverwinter), GW2 for the cool exploration (even past-80) and leveling experience, Neverwinter for the quick "get in, fast queue for something, have 15-20m of fun, get out" experience.

For some reason the other MMO's didn't grow on me that quickly (played them to about lvl 20), maybe Wildstar will? I'm already happy with GW2, but I like to have backup games, and I don't feel Neverwinter is a good enough contender for that.

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

My reasons for being very excited for the release of this game: 

1. Player Housing:  I have always loved player housing, especially when I can decorate and design my own little home away from home.  I like how some housing items are dropped from going out and killing.   I hope that housing isn't only about how much gold you have in order to purchase the best items for your home. I hope that most of the raw material needed to build a house, furniture, etc... will be something that every player must search for in the gaming world. 

2.  Exploration: I love to explore every nook and cranny of a gaming world.  I am happy that Carbine has put so much effort into giving those of us who love exploring, a world where we can do our thing. The mini-dungeons sound like a lot of fun. It reminds me of exploring some of the maps in Guild Wars 2, and stumbling across a cavern or underground pathway in the middle of no-where.  I hope that Wildstar has those little hidden areas to find in every part of the world. I certainly would not mind a few jumping puzzles, labyrinths,  mini-dungeons, and any other hidden area that adds to the exploration of the lands. 

3. World PvP:   in my opinion, there is nothing better than open world pvp. Attacking enemy lands or defending your own land really brings out the immersion of a MMO, and pride of your faction.  I am very happy that Wildstar has decided to have this aspect of pvp. But I think it is a good idea to keep it in specific areas. Some people do not want to pvp, and they should be a respected part of the gaming community as well.  Structured PvP does not interest me, but I am sure that it appeals to many gamer's. I just don't feel that it makes sense to fight your own faction and then be expected to buy the story of the game as it pertains to the struggle between Dominion and Exiles. 

I hope that I make the next beta test. I can't wait to play this game. 

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    "The Architect, as another example, can make cool stuff for housing,"

This makes me very happy. I was really hoping something like that would be included :) Fantastic interview, lots of info. Thank you !
  • RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208

Reading above and looking at the videos it seems to have the same stuff other MMOs have, albeit presented with a different skin. 

Nothing in the article convinces me that the game is particularly genre changing.

Warplots for pvp(create your own half of 40 vs 40 pvp map and que up and face others), this will be for pvp what raiding is for pve.

Path system, This is above and beyond their class system( 6 total 4 announced), you get to choose 1 of 4 paths explorer, settler, scientist or soldier. This will tailor your game experience.

Player housing done right.

Did we mention that some of the games in space? Different gravity zones.

Raids that arent the same week to week.

And last but not least true action combat, not the half arsed combat of NW or Tera where you stop every time you do something.

So if these things dont get you excited im Not sure what will.

I personally cant wait to play Terminator01 and kill all the bunnies...mmm bunny!!!

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Although I am being cautious due to the bright lights of other games that have failed me personally (GW2, SWTOR, D3 etc), if they can keep all their promises, this really does look like the game I've been waiting for.

Fingers crossed.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

Raiding for pvpers?  Bring on the warplots!  And I'm so looking forward to settler path and architect. 

The only downside is very generic classes thus far. Here's to hoping the remaining classes peak my interest a little more. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611
    Good read, thanks! Looks like a fun one

Uhh... what?

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    I
    CAN
    NOT
    WAIT.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

'Wildstar a genre changer'

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DiathonDiathon Member Posts: 18

I'd say it's the Devs that make me most excited about this game. They seem to take what the community says into consideration as they're making the game. They're actually commenting and asking us what we want and they're actually DOING IT. I've played games where either I never spoke to a Dev at all or they were of the "Deal with it" mentality.

Also, these guys are in my head. It's like they're ME if I was developing a video game. Everything they're saying makes me say "YES! YES! MORE OF THAT!" They're not promising to be genre changing. They're promising more of the same...but better. They reminisce about games that I loved and what I loved about them and how they want to incorporate that into W*. That's what I want. I'm tired of games saying "We're changing everything and it's gonna be better than anything before!" and they NEVER deliver on that. EVER. Carbine is saying "Hey, we loved how games used to be and we love some of the things about games now. How about we smash it together and put a little W* flavor to it?"

Am I the only person who's ever said "If this game was more like ______ it would be perfect" or "This is pretty new and awesome, but why don't they do _____ like _____ did?" Honestly, I'm looking forward to the same old thing, tweaked for a new generation of gamer and a refreshing return to basics for the old generation.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Barely can wait, looks incredibly fun. Just hope pressing mouse buttons will be used for moving avatars. If not this would be main reason I would not play.
  • HolyfleadipHolyfleadip Member Posts: 67

It sounds like they are giving us exploration back (so sick of arrows, highlighted map areas...etc...), but I hope they give us back npc that can kill us.  I'm so sick of going for 60 lvls without dying.  I can put a weight on my arrow key, set my guy marching across the map (if they don't fall off something) and never die while I make a few snacks three rooms away, I'M BORED!  I miss vanilla WOW's rare ELITES.   Current wow's rare's are ..... not worth mention.  

Don't make me lvl at mach 20.  IF they have a lvling system.  I don't want to be in END GAME in 3 days.

I'm beyond words with excitement over their self made PVP map idea.  That has the potential to make a guild work together for a reason besides perks.  I hate 300 player guilds for perks.  10 players know each other.....the rest are filler for numbers.

Please shrink the 40man PVE raids to 30.  I just can't stand all the BIO breaks and (30 minutes or MORE late to raid) players.

The big raids were fun ( ran through MC naked....I was a bit insane), but for all the plus there were some big stressing minus'.  Raid nights brought friends together and made new friends possible, but the STRESS broke many more up.

PLEASE DON'T add changing names on characters or changing servers.  If you destroy your reputation on a server because your a total D###, then live with it or work to create a new character from start.  People that strip guild banks, change name and server and get away..... I'd like some body parts as compensation. 

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Sounds like a promising game. Uh can't get to page 2 on my iPhone though. ??
  • DiathonDiathon Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by Tekaelon
    Sounds like a promising game. Uh can't get to page 2 on my iPhone though. ??

Had the same problem on my Android. Doesn't show page numbers at the bottom and clicking the next page link just refreshes the page. Had to wait until I got home to read it. Very frustrating xD

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by koljane

This is the only game I would pay to be in BETA, it is like WOW 2. Think that Blizzard will be in big problems for next expansion.

Guys from Carbon are silent for last few years and like ants working hard on their game.

Only thing I don`t like is that NC Soft is behind them and everything they signed is boring like hell (Aion and GW2 are best examples).  

Yeah I am not keen on NCSoft. They have horrible customer service and support for their games.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

Who cares if it is genre changing if they get the things right and do them well. Look at WoW. WoW wasn't revolutionary, but it did what it did well and took off. Then look at GW2. It tried a lot of new things. It isn't a failure, but it is no where near the success that WoW was when it came out.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?