Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Closed Beta 2 - Patch Notes

jp4lyfejp4lyfe Member UncommonPosts: 165

Carbine has announced Closed Beta 2 and decided to leak the patch notes themselves this time.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_wednesday_welcome_to_closed_beta_2.php

My personal favorites of the patch notes..

• New Feature: Mentoring!
    • This system allows a higher level player the chance to play together with lower level players without negatively affecting their progression.
    • While a Mentor, the higher level player loses no access to their unlocked or purchased skills. However, attribute-based milestones will be adjusted based on the Mentor’s stats at the Mentor Level.
    • Players will be specifically prompted to become a Mentor if they are six levels or higher above the lowest level player in the party, however any player can mentor a lower-level player (regardless of the level difference) by typing "/mentor" while grouped.
    • Players must be within group range of a lower level player to Mentor down to them.
  • New Feature: Rallying!
    • This system will allow players to enter instanced content at the level of the instance, facing its challenges at the level they were intended.
    • PvP Rallying is mandatory. All players will have their level and gear scaled up to max level of the content.
    • PvE Rallying does not exist in this round of Closed Beta and will be added in a future update. Expect to face challenges at the level they were intended for special achievements, rewards, and loot!

Comments

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by jp4lyfe

Carbine has announced Closed Beta 2 and decided to leak the patch notes themselves this time.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_wednesday_welcome_to_closed_beta_2.php

• This system allows a higher level player the chance to play together with lower level players without negatively affecting their progression.
      • While a Mentor, the higher level player loses no access to their unlocked or purchased skills. However, attribute-based milestones will be adjusted based on the Mentor’s stats at the Mentor Level.
      • Players will be specifically prompted to become a Mentor if they are six levels or higher above the lowest level player in the party, however any player can mentor a lower-level player (regardless of the level difference) by typing "/mentor" while grouped.
      • Players must be within group range of a lower level player to Mentor down to them.
      • This system will allow players to enter instanced content at the level of the instance, facing its challenges at the level they were intended.
      • PvP Rallying is mandatory. All players will have their level and gear scaled up to max level of the content.
      • PvE Rallying does not exist in this round of Closed Beta and will be added in a future update. Expect to face challenges at the level they were intended for special achievements, rewards, and loot!

Mentoring and rallying is good gives me somewhat of a challenge rather than one hit k.o everything once maxed.

Now just waiting on that payment model, hope not p2p nor f2p

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by RizelStar

Mentoring and rallying is good gives me somewhat of a challenge rather than one hit k.o everything once maxed.

Yeah hoping neither of those .  I'd be more than happy with a subscription payment model :) At least that way I know exactly what I'm spending :) I love this mentoring system idea !

• droopydroopy Member Posts: 15
    i'm all for a subscription model as well. They can always change the model later on if the game would fail, but i think this might be the MMO many of us waited for. :)
  • MrSchnuffiMrSchnuffi Member Posts: 25
    Maybe it would help if they lower the subscription fee. I mean there must be something profitable between 15$ and f2p^^
  • WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

I love any mentor system, Always have.

But I hate "everyone is equal" pvp.  If I take the time and get good gear, or have a solid guild to gear up with.. I should have a slight advantage.. thats the fun of progression.

This -- everyone is equal, rainbows, butterflies and glitter shit is getting on my nerves.  

I really hated it in Spvp in gw2.  But luckily in WvW it only scaled your level, not your gear. 

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by WellzyC

But I hate "everyone is equal" pvp.  If I take the time and get good gear, or have a solid guild to gear up with.. I should have a slight advantage.. thats the fun of progression.

This -- everyone is equal, rainbows, butterflies and glitter shit is getting on my nerves.  

I really hated it in Spvp in gw2.  But luckily in WvW it only scaled your level, not your gear. 

Why not just be better skilled in PvP rather than rely on the crutch of gear?  The main reason I don't participate in PvP in MMORPGS is because of gear. I do enjoy PvP in games where gear is a non-factor and it's pure skill versus skill.

• DiathonDiathon Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by Drakephire

Why not just be better skilled in PvP rather than rely on the crutch of gear?  The main reason I don't participate in PvP in MMORPGS is because of gear. I do enjoy PvP in games where gear is a non-factor and it's pure skill versus skill.

Personally, I like the feeling of empowerment that comes with a new gear purchase. I'm good. I'm fighting other good players. What am I fighting for? Titles? Skins? Mounts? Those things are nice, but they don't make me FEEL any different. They don't make me feel like I'm PROGRESSING. Your character is not growing in power, and that feeling is the main reason I play MMOs. Bigger Damage, Better Defense, More Health. Bigger, Better, and More.

Honestly, when it's people of the same skill, wearing the same gear, it's pretty much an even playing field. Does it matter that it's not REALLY changing anything in those situations? Nah, not really. I still like the feeling of working towards something that changes my character in some way. That actually DOES something other than look cool.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Diathon

Personally, I like the feeling of empowerment that comes with a new gear purchase. I'm good. I'm fighting other good players. What am I fighting for? Titles? Skins? Mounts? Those things are nice, but they don't make me FEEL any different. They don't make me feel like I'm PROGRESSING. Your character is not growing in power, and that feeling is the main reason I play MMOs. Bigger Damage, Better Defense, More Health. Bigger, Better, and More.

Honestly, when it's people of the same skill, wearing the same gear, it's pretty much an even playing field. Does it matter that it's not REALLY changing anything in those situations? Nah, not really. I still like the feeling of working towards something that changes my character in some way. That actually DOES something other than look cool.

Ah, but people aren't going to have the same real-life skill level.  That is where the enjoyment comes for me. All things being equal, and I defeat you? Then I know it was my skill that prevailed.  That's far more satisfiying than "oh, I spent 100 more hours than you grinding legendary gear".   The change in character is an actual physical and mental change in the player using the character. My personal knowledge, personal awareness, reflexes, etc improve with play.

Then what happens when I get good is that both me and my character gain a reputation for being a great defender, or great attacker, or great infiltrator. 

Ah, but people aren't going to have the same real-life skill level.  That is where the enjoyment comes for me. All things being equal, and I defeat you? Then I know it was my skill that prevailed.  That's far more satisfiying than "oh, I spent 100 more hours than you grinding legendary gear".   The change in character is an actual physical and mental change in the player using the character. My personal knowledge, personal awareness, reflexes, etc improve with play.

Then what happens when I get good is that both me and my character gain a reputation for being a great defender, or great attacker, or great infiltrator. 

Why couldn't you gain a reputation and have gear progression? I'm sure you've played a game where they had gear progression in PvP and you beat someone who had better gear than you. I've done it and it's a great feeling. Especially if you can join a match and check the other teams' gear before the match starts. There will be people who say "Well, we lost this one" or "I know these guys and they're gonna roll us" and then you go out and give it your all and you win and...it's just...eh, you know the feeling.

Main thing is to make gear matter, but to not make it completely overwhelm the need for skill. If a skilled player can't win against a (somewhat) better geared, less-skilled player then it's a problem. If anything having a gear discrepancy that can be overcome with skill creates even more skill-based PvP when you're fighting better geared people.

Games like gw2 just don't have much long term appeal to me when there is :

a) little to no reason to socialize.

b) lack of anything to work for that is substantial  (skins, titles, and cosmetics are not fun as primary progression).

c) little to no non combat activities .  (i like player housing, gambling, guild halls ect)

d) Only solo content, or very little need to group, or grouping being unnecessary to accomplish meaningful goals. I play mmos to group and socialize..

There is no longevity in a game that allows players who bought the game yesterday to have a character just as powerful or just as prosperous as my character who has been playing for months.

no sense of pride, no sense of accomplishment.

Social systems, accomplishment and working towards prosperous goals is what makes an mmo last a really long time.

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by RizelStar

Yeah, i'm just waiting for the payment model, hope it's P2P.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Games like gw2 just don't have much long term appeal to me when there is :

a) little to no reason to socialize.

b) lack of anything to work for that is substantial  (skins, titles, and cosmetics are not fun as primary progression).

c) little to no non combat activities .  (i like player housing, gambling, guild halls ect)

d) Only solo content, or very little need to group, or grouping being unnecessary to accomplish meaningful goals. I play mmos to group and socialize..

There is no longevity in a game that allows players who bought the game yesterday to have a character just as powerful or just as prosperous as my character who has been playing for months.

no sense of pride, no sense of accomplishment.

Social systems, accomplishment and working towards prosperous goals is what makes an mmo last a really long time.

100% agree.

I agree with you Wellzy. The biggest problem is determining how much time should be needed to fill the gap between someone who has played for years and someone who has played for a few weeks.

You don't want new people to feel like they can never catch up to the older players, but you don't want the older players to feel like the time they've invested doesn't mean anything. You also don't want to allow newer players to catch up with older players, but make the time needed to fill that gap too long. It's a delicate balance and I hope Carbine can figure it out for me xD

• thetimesthetimes Member Posts: 49

-PvP Rallying is mandatory. All players will have their level and gear scaled up to max level of the content.

These type of systems takes progression from pvpers.

I agree with you Wellzy. The biggest problem is determining how much time should be needed to fill the gap between someone who has played for years and someone who has played for a few weeks.

You don't want new people to feel like they can never catch up to the older players, but you don't want the older players to feel like the time they've invested doesn't mean anything. You also don't want to allow newer players to catch up with older players, but make the time needed to fill that gap too long. It's a delicate balance and I hope Carbine can figure it out for me xD

I can agree with that, goals have to be reasonable and in reach for new players.

www.CeaselessGuild.com

Originally posted by thetimes

-PvP Rallying is mandatory. All players will have their level and gear scaled up to max level of the content.

These type of systems takes progression from pvpers.

Not really. They still take gear into account. They just bring all players up to a certain threshold and then anything a person has above that is extra for them. It also takes into account what skills they've unlocked and how they've spent their Power. Lower level players won't have the same amount of power to spend in their gear or the same skills, but it gives the PvP a larger pool of people to fight against in a given bracket. As long as they don't allow a twink to level-lock this won't matter much once people hit max level.

I can agree with that, goals have to be reasonable and in reach for new players.

What's reasonable to you. People who just started playing mmos the past couple years may think 2 weeks is reasonable. I think 2-4 months is about right.

• jp4lyfejp4lyfe Member UncommonPosts: 165

Even with rallying, gear is going to make a difference. Just like a legit say level 25 player is going to be slightly stronger then a rallied level 25.

Rallying won't make any difference at level cap at all. In fact, if it works anything like swtors pvp they had to force level capped toons into their own bracket because the gear difference from a legit level capped toon vs a rallied toon was too much and people were getting destroyed.

What's reasonable to you. People who just started playing mmos the past couple years may think 2 weeks is reasonable. I think 2-4 months is about right.

Agreed, 2-4 months sounds like a good investment to get on level. A bit faster with friends boosting you, and that's the main time I've had a problem with PvP progression. Usually sucks to try to get a friend (or be that friend) into truly competitive gear so you don't have to carry them. It's usually worth it in the end though.

Agreed, 2-4 months sounds like a good investment to get on level. A bit faster with friends boosting you, and that's the main time I've had a problem with PvP progression. Usually sucks to try to get a friend (or be that friend) into truly competitive gear so you don't have to carry them. It's usually worth it in the end though.

Yes it is. 

• chase17tnchase17tn Member Posts: 93
    first why are you posting that to the public... next if its any payment model i rather it be F2P or Buy to Play with item mall... FFFF Pay to Play dumb model that is same as F2P they just take more money!!!!!!!!!!

made by nonny
    and
    made by Braggi

thanks both u guys

Originally posted by chase17tn
    first why are you posting that to the public... next if its any payment model i rather it be F2P or Buy to Play with item mall... FFFF Pay to Play dumb model that is same as F2P they just take more money!!!!!!!!!!

I think you're in the wrong thread. Not sure how you could not know what thread you're in but this is about patch notes, not payment model.

• droopydroopy Member Posts: 15

As long i can walk back into lower level areas without being nerfed down to lvl 5 in power while i'm decked out in the best endgame gear i'm fine with it, the bonus with the system should be good enough so that high level players wants to enable it.

Sometimes my friends want power leveling so i go on my main, sometimes they want to play normaly then i create an alt wich i love to do anyways, if i feel i want some sweet bonuses by mentoring my friend then i tick that box. It's win win in all cases for everyone involved i think. I'm still not clear on how it will work, hope to get more information on that later on.

Rallying hmm can't say i'm a fan of it, never was. If a player spend 300 more hours than me i do think he should be rewarded for that time, he did that to become and feel more powerfull after all. If there's little to no advantage with the gear you get from PvP then it's less appealing to me tbh.

But i can see some got concerns with the "old" system.

• jp4lyfejp4lyfe Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by droopy

As long i can walk back into lower level areas without being nerfed down to lvl 5 in power while i'm decked out in the best endgame gear i'm fine with it, the bonus with the system should be good enough so that high level players wants to enable it.

Sometimes my friends want power leveling so i go on my main, sometimes they want to play normaly then i create an alt wich i love to do anyways, if i feel i want some sweet bonuses by mentoring my friend then i tick that box. It's win win in all cases for everyone involved i think. I'm still not clear on how it will work, hope to get more information on that later on.

Rallying hmm can't say i'm a fan of it, never was. If a player spend 300 more hours than me i do think he should be rewarded for that time, he did that to become and feel more powerfull after all. If there's little to no advantage with the gear you get from PvP then it's less appealing to me tbh.

But i can see some got concerns with the "old" system.

Sounded like mentoring down is totally optional. Somewhere, in the notes i think it mentioned in group you toggle on /mentor or something to that nature to level down. Doesn't sound like guild wars 2 where your level is auto adjusted based on the zone  you are in.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

I guess you aren't a fan of fighting games? I.e. Street Fighter, Virtua Figther, Dead or Alive, Mortal Kombat, etc.

I wonder if the decline of fighting game popularity may have a connection with the vertical progression craze of newer multiplayer online games today. The reward of becoming a better and more experienced player with each game you play, win or lose, is a concept that I suspect is slowly fading over time.

The fact that newer games have such a low skill ceiling and really only number crunch your levels/gear vs someone else's levels/gear also helps encourage this mentality in newer MMO players who start off playing these games. They "grow up" with the idea that gear/level plays a big part in determining victory or defeat in a pvp battle. And because they haven't experienced pvp differently, this becomes "mom's cooking" to that generation of new players (who could be older or younger people IRL). They learn to enjoy it (or they'd have quit these types of games long ago), and I imagine they may get disinterested at the idea of a pvp game where gear/level is removed from the equation. The low skill ceiling doesn't provide enough dynamic encounters to make repeated pvp fights very interesting. They all kind of blend into the same few fights without gear or level differences making the fight more varied and interesting.

At least, that's my explanation for people who aren't immature virtual griefers looking to humiliate other players by having enormous gear advantages and level advantages. These griefers spend their time feeling better about themselves by picking on players who can't codedly defend themselves. So yeah, at least we won't be seeing that in Wildstar.