Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game no longer accessible. Great job, Bioware...

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

For old times sake I still had a sub running on SWTOR, wanted to look in and ... nothing. Launcher launches but after you press play, nothing happens. Apparently, judging from the official forum, a lot of people have that issue.

Wow, I mean... I am locked out for 2 days in an old, running MMO? Really?

Tech-wise this game really seems to be a craptastrophe. What a farce.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

yup,,i have seen two othe mmos in even worse state, than this

STO , back at launch

and vanguard online

STO bled 90% of the players, almost died, and went F2P

AFAIK, vanguard is dead now? not sure

i know, that mmos are hard to make,,and good mmos even harder

but either , they dont,,or they just dont care

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by simplius

STO , back at launch

and vanguard online

STO has climbed back since F2P and Vanguard seems to be going undead o.O.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Somebody at Bioware IT decided to do a good deed to the world.

"God...the game is so awful. What we are putting the people trough. I can not simply stand by and watch. If I break the servers for at least a day. At least I would spare people from suffering, even if its just for those few hours"

What a personal sacrifice !

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Somebody at Bioware IT decided to do a good deed to the world.

"God...the game is so awful. What we are putting the people trough. I can not simply stand by and watch. If I break the servers for at least a day. At least I would spare people from suffering, even if its just for those few hours"

What a personal sacrifice !

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

STO , back at launch

and vanguard online

The difference is that both those games are low budget, particularly STO that was made far too fast.

Bioware had a huge budget and 5 years so I think we should expect more from them.

Sure, MMOs always have some issues at launch but by now anything really should be fixed.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Loke666

STO , back at launch

and vanguard online

The difference is that both those games are low budget, particularly STO that was made far too fast.

Bioware had a huge budget and 5 years so I think we should expect more from them.

Sure, MMOs always have some issues at launch but by now anything really should be fixed.

Sorry but that is not possible. There are MMOS running for 8 to 10 years and  they still have issues. When it comes to any piece of software..nothing is ever fixed.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

Came back last fall before christmas. Had a lot of problems crashing, black screens, blue screens, performance issues and around January finally they went away. Weird isn't it. Most of the techsupport cycle they put me through was useless and problems were not found. Then they just disappeared all by themselves. Been playing since without any problems.

Nice to know department: Played games with my computer 30 months(including swtor at launch) without problems but after coming back to swtor (2012fall) those problems started, and continued to appear in every damn game! Untill, as I told you, they just "went away". I'm very sceptic and agnostic man, but these computers make me wonder :p

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Lesrach

Came back last fall before christmas. Had a lot of problems crashing, black screens, blue screens, performance issues and around January finally they went away. Weird isn't it. Most of the techsupport cycle they put me through was useless and problems were not found. Then they just disappeared all by themselves. Been playing since without any problems.

Nice to know department: Played games with my computer 30 months(including swtor at launch) without problems but after coming back to swtor (2012fall) those problems started, and continued to appear in every damn game! Untill, as I told you, they just "went away". I'm very sceptic and agnostic man, but these computers make me wonder :p

sounds like your northbridge is dying ( that's a chip on the motherboard btw).

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184
    The higher budget just means you throw more money at bad ideas.  And how on earth can you have any expectations of EA after their smashing track record of SWTOR, DA2, ME3, SimCIty, etc.  Unless those expectations are of  silly DRM, Day one DLC, and half finished products.
  • mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Saw this thread. and thought "Really, I gotta see this" Went down to my computer, downloaded the patch, and I'm currently playing. I'm Sitting on Makeb right now.

Brilliant. so now I see this thread as:

"I'm a troll, I have no idea on how to troubleshoot my own computer and I'm going to blame that on the game because I want to!"

Let me give another example. My wife just re-intalled Rift. Thanks to Raptr she has the expansion and is once again trying out the world. However She could not log into the game without disabling the anti-virus completely. I took a look at it. checked a few things and noticed that for some reason Rift has a problem with a very particular anti-virus program. SO I dug a bit more. Fixed the problem now she can log on just fine without disabling anything.

Does this mean that Rift sucks because her computer had a problem with it? Does Rift suck because others also had the issue? OR we can actually look at the underlying issue and actually determine that it was the computer's setup and not blame the publisher?

Gotta love how everyone else is to blame.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
    Originally posted by Dihoru

STO , back at launch

and vanguard online

STO has climbed back since F2P and Vanguard seems to be going undead o.O.

i know,,i just resubbed to STO, they have solved a lot of their problems

voting with my wallet works both ways

Originally posted by mrrshann618

Saw this thread. and thought "Really, I gotta see this" Went down to my computer, downloaded the patch, and I'm currently playing. I'm Sitting on Makeb right now.

"I'm a troll, I have no idea on how to troubleshoot my own computer and I'm going to blame that on the game because I want to!"

Let me give another example. My wife just re-intalled Rift. Thanks to Raptr she has the expansion and is once again trying out the world. However She could not log into the game without disabling the anti-virus completely. I took a look at it. checked a few things and noticed that for some reason Rift has a problem with a very particular anti-virus program. SO I dug a bit more. Fixed the problem now she can log on just fine without disabling anything.

Does this mean that Rift sucks because her computer had a problem with it? Does Rift suck because others also had the issue? OR we can actually look at the underlying issue and actually determine that it was the computer's setup and not blame the publisher?

oh,,so we all have to be computer Experts to play a mainstream mmo? how convenient

apparently, Theres this new thing, called USER FRIENDLY

if you really are the computer wiz , you claim to be, then you would know,, that certain

CPU/Graphics/OS combos can make a certain game unplayable on that machine

but unless you want to travel around the World, and troubleshoot for free,,there is a problem

Originally posted by Loke666

STO , back at launch

and vanguard online

oh yea,,STO launched the half of a game,,and that half was even buggy as..

any mmo will have bugs. all the time

only their number, and severity varies,,,A LOT

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Every MMO will suffer from unexpected downtime sooner or later.  Just relax and accept that sometimes things happen regardless of how prepared the developer is.

• GrintchGrintch Member UncommonPosts: 132

Great answer. I was away for a few months, downloaded a bunch of patches and have no problem playing either. I'll bet the OP didn't even spend 5 mins checking for solutions before posting.

oh,,so we all have to be computer Experts to play a mainstream mmo? how convenient

if you really are the computer wiz , you claim to be, then you would know,, that certain

but unless you want to travel around the World, and troubleshoot for free,,there is a problem

It had nothing to do about being an expert on anything other than google-fu. As the op stated he had scoured the forums and found that others had the problem, this also usually indicates that if the person were to "dig further" they would have found an answer. I never claimed to be an expert I only claimed to have "dug further". That does include looking for/at any published solutions.

USER FRIENDLY does not mean universal acceptance, it means "most common factors covered" Key word is MOST. Plug-n-play is user friendly but it does not grant the greatest protection, you want better protection on a firewall it means you pony up and learn your system, or pay someone to do it for you.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

It had nothing to do about being an expert on anything other than google-fu. As the op stated he had scoured the forums and found that others had the problem, this also usually indicates that if the person were to "dig further" they would have found an answer. I never claimed to be an expert I only claimed to have "dug further". That does include looking for/at any published solutions.

USER FRIENDLY does not mean universal acceptance, it means "most common factors covered" Key word is MOST. Plug-n-play is user friendly but it does not grant the greatest protection, you want better protection on a firewall it means you pony up and learn your system, or pay someone to do it for you.

the problem that had SW;TOR not working really only applied if you had windows xp, there was a patch late last night that fixed the problem, which was that when you tried to launch the game from the patcher, the game crashed to desktop immediately. but the problem is now fixed, and it was only for people with XP, which unfortunately.. included me.. but as i said, they fixed it, and now its working again.

good luck with that

the average, casual gamer wont go through so much trouble, to play a game

he prolly wont even bother to write a rage post

he wil just take his business to the next game

like most of us did

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Apparently it affected more players than just the OP. It was down to the 2.1 patch

It is down to Bioware and not anti-virus software or whatever

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=638559

From glancing through that thread it seems to be people using Windows XP. Dragons Prophet is not compatible with WIndows XP now, but that is from the get go, but is is a bit off making game incompatible with Windows XP without a bit of warning, especially if just renewed a sub, and even worse if it is as 12 month one, and can not afford Win 7 or Win 8 straight away

EDIT: It seems to be fixed now, which is good

But that shows there was a problem. Instead of bash the people for moaning why not try and seek out what is wrong like I did, you defend the game way too quick

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Maybe they brought the servers offline to bring SWG back up?

good luck with that

the average, casual gamer wont go through so much trouble, to play a game

he prolly wont even bother to write a rage post

he wil just take his business to the next game

like most of us did

I'm an average casual gamer. I do not even join guilds because there are times when I cannot/ do not log into a game for months. I have a lifetime to LOTRO and haven't logged in for over 8 months. I rotate through playing several games at one time, and have no attachment to any one game. However I am tenacious and try to solve ANY problem when it comes to a computer as I do not want it to blossom into anything else. You know, like preventive maintenance on a car . MMO's have nothing to do with it, casual gaming has nothing to do with it. PURE IMPATIENCE has everything to do with it.

However if you have enough patience to dig through forums to find a problem, but not dig just a bit further to find a solution you are looking for an excuse not to play/complain about the game.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Path 2.1 broke swtor for some users where they had to wait about 15 mins for the game to load. They fixed that very quickly but the game was still not working for windows XP users until today where they have fixed it for you too.

Patches sometimes break things , maybe they should test there carp more often really.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Lugors
    The higher budget just means you throw more money at bad ideas.  And how on earth can you have any expectations of EA after their smashing track record of SWTOR, DA2, ME3, SimCIty, etc.  Unless those expectations are of  silly DRM, Day one DLC, and half finished products.

Tend to agree. There's another title right now that according to the people in charge people are just throwing their money at and the patches and ideas keep getting worse and worse with every passing month meanwhile huge numbers of pages full of bugs and broken design flaws in class forums go unheard and untouched.

I write of course about GW2. 

You can make a world pretty, you can make the patches seem exciting (while you put every reward in the shop), and you can add little nuances to the npcs all you want but when the overall design has flaws like this and they're getting worse because you've decided not to have a PTR and test on your players during live, there's a ton of issues here. Anet is beginning to build their own EA legacy and there are crazy fanboys who just won't let go or get the picture even after it's been almost a year.

Shop items are fine, but when everything is shop only RNG, there's a problem.

yes, i have done something similar, very few times

like, with my star trek mod for homeworld, or other mods for SINS

but i wouldnt have done so, if i wasnt a hardcore fan of those

and designing a a big budget game on that strategy is ,,not smart

Originally posted by superniceguy

Apparently it affected more players than just the OP. It was down to the 2.1 patch

It is down to Bioware and not anti-virus software or whatever

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=638559

From glancing through that thread it seems to be people using Windows XP. Dragons Prophet is not compatible with WIndows XP now, but that is from the get go, but is is a bit off making game incompatible with Windows XP without a bit of warning, especially if just renewed a sub, and even worse if it is as 12 month one, and can not afford Win 7 or Win 8 straight away

Once again the publisher is to blame, specifically EA. NO OTHER game has had a patch gone wrong. I also never said that it was only the OP, I gave an example of the anti-virus issue as "one example" from a different game.

But wait I forgot, in haters Eyes Bioware/EA is ALWAYS to blame.

If you can afford a 12 month sub you can afford a software upgrade. If you cannot afford the upgrade due to hardware issues... well in many other thread people spout against f2p because "who cannot afford 15$ a month" Obviously everyone can afford to pay for subs, but when it comes to upgrading your own computer no on can. So which is it?