Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

no opticals ?

MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
my dvd drives dont work , pc doesnt detect them, got new drives and still no, new motherboard and still no, ideas ?

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

so you've had problems with your monitor not working, and it took a seperate thread about your optical drives to tell everyone you just changed your motherboard? 

As for your problem, I'd suggest telling everything that is happening rather than peicemeal in multiple threads.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Makidian
    my dvd drives dont work , pc doesnt detect them, got new drives and still no, new motherboard and still no, ideas ?

That's why you had to reactivate Windows. And why you had to install new graphics drivers. You'll probably need to install other drivers too.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Just post your complete hardware specs.  It's not worth trying to randomly guess when we have no clue what you have.
  • MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Ok the full story, I started out with  i7 2700k, asrock z77 extreme 4 mobo,gtx 560ti gpu, 750 thermaltake psu,corsair ssd, 2 optical drives and a CPU water cooling system. First thing I did was I got a new gpu a gtx Titan and a new psu corsair 860i. All was fine. Then I got a new cpu i7 3770k. Started up fine, restarted and went into the bios and notice the temp on the CPU was climbing a lot at idle so I thought maybe the thermal paste didn't set right so I redid it and started it back up and a screen came up saying windows cannot start, I tried everything and still the same. I also noticed that the fan lights in front of the case were not turning on and the optical drives were not working either. So I took the pc to geek squad to see if they could figure it out. They had it for 3 damn weeks and they said the first time they turned on the pc it booted up just fine, I was like wtf! But they could not figure out why the optical drives were dead. So I bought 2 new drives and a new mobo, plus another hard drive for data. First did the mobo, booted up and still the drives are dead but the fan lights are on now, went into bios and saw that the temp on the CPU was climbing high again, so I thought the water cooling had to be shot so I ripped that out and put a t20 CPU cooler, checked the temp again and yay the temps are fine now. Replaced both optical drives and put in the new hard drive, booted it up and nothing still. Went into the bios and it has a diagram of what is plugged into the sata ports, it shows the ssd drive but nothing else, 2 optical drives and the hard drive just don't exist, and there not getting power either. Is it possible that the cables are bad? I don't know I'm out of ideas any help would be great guys.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Sounds like you should take it back to the Geek Squad.

*edit* ok that was mean to say.

It's one of a few things:

User error - your stuff isn't plugged in all the way/plugged into a deactivated RAID controller on the motherboard/etc. This is usually the problem.

Bad cables/bad drives - one bad cable or drive, likely. 3 bad cables or drives simultaneously, not impossible, but you have better odds of winning the lotto.

Bad CPU/motherboard - my gut feeling is: you probably damaged the 3770k on the first motherboard, and that motherboard died - bent pin/heatsink compund in the pins/something. You put that same damaged 3770k CPU in a new motherboard and fried it too. It's also possible both motherbaords and/or the CPU are genuinely fried not due to any direct cause, but again, the odds of 2-3 items going bad in a row like that, you need to start buying lotto tickets.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Makidian..
     ...the temp on the CPU was climbing high again...

What do you consider a high temperature?  With water cooling, you should expect a temperature slightly above the room temperature at idle.  If it goes 20 degrees Fahrenheit over, I would consider that high for water cooling, but still within an acceptable operating range.

This might sound like a stupid question, but it is always good to check the obvious first.  Your optical drives have a SATA cable connected, but did you connect a power cable too?  Which power cable did you use:  SATA power or the Molex connector?  Are you trying to run all of your drives on the same power cable coming from the power supply, or did you evenly distribute the load?

Are these drives new, or are they from an older build?  How old are they, if they aren't new?

Try plugging in only one optical drive (leaving the other drives without power; SATA connectors can stay connected) and see if it powers up when you turn on the computer.  Don't bother booting to Windows.  If your motherboard doesn't recognize the drive, Windows won't find it either.  A good indicator of power is the light, but a better indicator is to see if the drive can eject the CD tray.

Repeat that process with each drive.  If no drives are faulty by themselves, add one drive at a time until you get the problem.  If the problem occurs, disconnect the offending drive and try hooking up the next drive. 

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    High temp of almost 90c at idle, power is by sata, yes they are brand new. everything else works fine so it it possible that the cpu is damaged ?
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Modern CPUs and GPUs are supposed to be able to handle 90C.  They are actually supposed to shut down if their temperature reaches a certain threshold, which is supposed to prevent damage.  There is a possibility that it is damaged, but it should be fine if it didn't shut down by itself.

Everything else works fine?  What do you mean by that?  I thought your issue was with the optical drives, not the CPU.

Edit: I should clarify.  The CPU has nothing to do with recognizing your drives or giving them power.  Your BIOS recognizes the drives and the power supply gives them power when it is turned on.

Plug one optical drive in to power only, using the 4-pin power connector.  Unplug the SATA data and SATA power connectors from it, and from all of your other drives.  Turn on the computer and go straight to the BIOS.  Does your drive eject the tray?  If not, then your power supply or optical drive is bad.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

More than likely with the situation you are describing you have a power issue.  Do you have a UPS?  If so let the UPS gain power and run your comp through the UPS to see if you can power on those devices.  Its possible something is interfering with the power delivery to your outlet.

It could also be a bios setting since you are using the newer bios type, but considering your responses, I am sure you covered that.