Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: Live Forum Q&A with WildStar's Jeremy Gaffney -- Begins NOW!

Comments

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by Leiloni

Who wants fights in the air? This is a sci-fi/fantasy themed action combat MMO and that is one of the main reason's I'm so excited for it. The ground combat has the potential to be a lot of fun, with spells and dodging and all sorts of cool stuff. I don't want a flight sim.

From the sounds of the people posting in this thread.. the people who are interested in the game want it?  Why couldn't you have all of what you listed in the air and ground?  

• binhubalzbinhubalz Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by skimatix
    Originally posted by binhubalz
    I remember in the old days, a place called Stranglethorn Vale, in this place we had the best twinks and the fully equiped lvl 60 players ganking everybody, ooohh the fear of that place, when I get ganked there, I immediately called help from other ppl on the server in that moment, and would make a search for the scumm alliances.

Flight mounts would kill this kind of play, that most of all loved back then... even in the cap-lvl.

Now imagine all of that plus aerial combat!  =D

The problem with the flying mounts is that you cant chase or ambush them, you land.. kill.. and fly over... and nothing can kill you.

maybe in the current way they have it.. but what if there were turrets you could mount on the ground to shoot them down or have an fleet of your own shooting them down?  with active dodging, you could have some pretty amazing dog fights in the air.

That's why they have to think very carefully about it. Can became a great success or a great failure.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Xirik
    Can you guys please debate in a different thread about if flying mounts are good or not. You are making it unfair to the people who want there questions answered too by clogging it up with non questions.

I am pretty sure he is gone now.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• dabballfooldabballfool Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by dabballfool
    I just finished reading the patch notes and the only thing that stuck out to me was that you have to go to a vendor to learn abilities.  This is one thing that WoW took out.  I hate comparing games with WoW, but this is one aspect that I thought was a huge benefit to how I like to play.  If I'm out doing quests and such, I don't want to have to go all the way back to town and find an "ability vendor."  I feel if my toon is out there gaining experience, he would learn new abilities on his own.  I don't know how others feel, but I feel going back to town is a time consuming nuisance rather than just being able to go on questing and such.  Is there any room for this possibly being removed in the future?

I actually really like the idea that people have to go buy abilities. It keeps the world feeling busy if towns actually have a reason of being.

I would agree with this, but with player housing and such the way it's going to be, town is not going to be full of people anyway. You can buy your own mining veins, vendors, etc, so I doubt there is going to be much reason to go to towns in this game.  But to your point, this could be a reason player housing could end up not being such an amazing idea because people will end up naturally feeling isolated from the world.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Can you guys please debate in a different thread about if flying mounts are good or not. You are making it unfair to the people who want there questions answered too by clogging it up with non questions.

Gaffney left 18 minutes ago for meetings. He answered questions for an hour and a half. :P

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

1. Will Characters be bound to servers or can we have characters on multiple servers?

2. Will there be LFG tools?

3. Will there hotbars for consumables or other non-skills usable features?

4. Can you describe the nature of crafting and consumables?

5. Will there be mounts?

6. How many dungeons and raids will there be?

7. Can we save character builds?

8. How many cities will there be?

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120

That's why they have to think very carefully about it. Can became a great success or a great failure.

Definiltey!  But to say that flying mounts are bad is small-minded thinking!  We should want to expand how one plays in a game world.. not limit it!  =D

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

pretty sure he wanted some debate on the issue, if you read what he had posted about flying mounts they are really watching our opinions of them.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Gaffney left 18 minutes ago for meetings. He answered questions for an hour and a half. :P

this too lol ack and sry for the double post I forget they dont combine here >.<

I just finished reading the patch notes and the only thing that stuck out to me was that you have to go to a vendor to learn abilities.  This is one thing that WoW took out.  I hate comparing games with WoW, but this is one aspect that I thought was a huge benefit to how I like to play.  If I'm out doing quests and such, I don't want to have to go all the way back to town and find an "ability vendor."  I feel if my toon is out there gaining experience, he would learn new abilities on his own.  I don't know how others feel, but I feel going back to town is a time consuming nuisance rather than just being able to go on questing and such.  Is there any room for this possibly being removed in the future?

I actually really like the idea that people have to go buy abilities. It keeps the world feeling busy if towns actually have a reason of being.

I would agree with this, but with player housing and such the way it's going to be, town is not going to be full of people anyway. You can buy your own mining veins, vendors, etc, so I doubt there is going to be much reason to go to towns in this game.  But to your point, this could be a reason player housing could end up not being such an amazing idea because people will end up naturally feeling isolated from the world.

Ugh... this makes me so sad. The more I hear the more I'm wondering why they're even having PvP servers at all if they have no intentions of making it a viable method of play for people. ;(

Heck, not even PVP but PvE players as well. PvEers want to enjoy the game world and feel like they're part of an MMO with other people as much of the rest of us do. No one wants to sit alone in an instance all day. Again, why make a beautiful, big, complex world if players don't need to actually play in it?

There is a limit to how convenient things need to be and at what point that convenience goes over the line and becomes detrimental to the long term health and fun of a game. I think we have enough games out there right now to be able to find that line, but apparently Carbine is blind.

• MakaifyMakaify Member Posts: 5
    I remember in the old days, a place called Stranglethorn Vale, in this place we had the best twinks and the fully equiped lvl 60 players ganking everybody, ooohh the fear of that place, when I get ganked there, I immediately called help from other ppl on the server in that moment, and would make a search for the scumm alliances.

Flight mounts would kill this kind of play, that most of all loved back then... even in the cap-lvl.

The problem with the flying mounts is that you cant chase or ambush them, you land.. kill.. and fly over... and nothing can kill you.

maybe in the current way they have it.. but what if there were turrets you could mount on the ground to shoot them down or have an fleet of your own shooting them down?  with active dodging, you could have some pretty amazing dog fights in the air.

Who wants fights in the air? This is a sci-fi/fantasy themed action combat MMO and that is one of the main reason's I'm so excited for it. The ground combat has the potential to be a lot of fun, with spells and dodging and all sorts of cool stuff. I don't want a flight sim.

Im sorry, but you seem to me like a person who only cares about his own opinions. After reading this whole thread, I get the feeling from your posts that it's all about what you want and none what would be good for all. If you look at the replies that people have posted, you'd see that we actually try to find a compromise that would fix the world pvp issue. But no, here you are, forcing your opinion on everybody, no chance of a compromise.

This is not Leiloni's World MMO - this is Wildstar. You should create your own MMO, where only your opinion matters.

• MohheMohhe Member Posts: 3

Movement in Wildstar seems to be a bigger part of the game compared to most of the current MMORPGs on the market and your previous video about movement proves that even more. But will Wildstar utilize it enough? Will it be a big designing factor in PvP and PvE?

For example there could be a raid where some big monster is chasing the whole raid and the raid has to avoid the laid traps. If someone is caught on the trap the big chasing monster will catch him and put the player on a hanging cage. When the chasing phase is complete every player who got caught can be rescued at the boss battle, but it will punish the raid a bit and make the encounter more challenging. And there could be some mini fights in between the chasing phase and final boss battle.

• herbalzherbalz Member CommonPosts: 10
    will end game achievements provide rewards? I remember in wow, the only achievements I would do, were the ones that could lead to a mount or something lol

• BalerathonBalerathon Member UncommonPosts: 29
    I have many questions! But one that I'd really love to hear the answer to, and have tried asking both via Twitter and Facebook is whether "passive emotes" are in game.

Basically, if I end a sentence with ? or ! in /say for example, will my character act them out (ala WoW)? As an RPer, this is an absolutely amazing immersion builder and I'd LOVE to see it implemented in game.

Thank you, and please! Don't hit the red button!

Edit: DOH!
    Originally posted by Makaify

Im sorry, but you seem to me like a person who only cares about his own opinions. After reading this whole thread, I get the feeling from your posts that it's all about what you want and none what would be good for all. If you look at the replies that people have posted, you'd see that we actually try to find a compromise that would fix the world pvp issue. But no, here you are, forcing your opinion on everybody, no chance of a compromise.

This is not Leiloni's World MMO - this is Wildstar. You should create your own MMO, where only your opinion matters.

Half of the posts on this topic aren't even mine. If you have something constructive to add we'd love to hear it. And no, I am not only concerned about my opinions. I'm responding with why a large section of MMO players feel that wouldn't work for them. Sure we can offer compromises, but those ideas didn't work. It's not mean or selfish to say so. Please stay on topic and offer your thoughts because right now your post has zero substance.

Ugh... this makes me so sad. The more I hear the more I'm wondering why they're even having PvP servers at all if they have no intentions of making it a viable method of play for people. ;(

Heck, not even PVP but PvE players as well. PvEers want to enjoy the game world and feel like they're part of an MMO with other people as much of the rest of us do. No one wants to sit alone in an instance all day. Again, why make a beautiful, big, complex world if players don't need to actually play in it?

There is a limit to how convenient things need to be and at what point that convenience goes over the line and becomes detrimental to the long term health and fun of a game. I think we have enough games out there right now to be able to find that line, but apparently Carbine is blind.

I agree.  I think going to your house should be accessible, but not have the ability to do everything from that location so you aren't confined to one area all the time unless you are questing or raiding.  I know in WoW I sit in town pretty much all the time because all I really do is raid, but it's nice to see the player base roaming around.  If they can figure a way to make player housing instanced with a large number of players' housing in the same instance, that would be pretty cool, but would need some extra thought for sure.

I agree.  I think going to your house should be accessible, but not have the ability to do everything from that location so you aren't confined to one area all the time unless you are questing or raiding.  I know in WoW I sit in town pretty much all the time because all I really do is raid, but it's nice to see the player base roaming around.  If they can figure a way to make player housing instanced with a large number of players' housing in the same instance, that would be pretty cool, but would need some extra thought for sure.

Aion has their housing in a big zone all it's own, instanced off from the rest of the world. It has several neighborhoods within that with varying types and sizes of houses. And some houses are instanced, for example if you have a small apartment, there's an entrance to the building in the zone but once you enter the portal, you only see your own little house. So I think it can be done in a fun, interesting way. And there are of course common areas in this zone.

But yea things like crafting and gathering and going to an instance or raid, those need to be accessible only from the game world. Those are key activities that make up an MMORPG, is running around gathering, or flying to a questing outpost and then running to your raid portal, or sitting around the crafting area in the city along with all your fellow crafters.

Aion has their housing in a big zone all it's own, instanced off from the rest of the world. It has several neighborhoods within that with varying types and sizes of houses. And some houses are instanced, for example if you have a small apartment, there's an entrance to the building in the zone but once you enter the portal, you only see your own little house. So I think it can be done in a fun, interesting way. And there are of course common areas in this zone.

But yea things like crafting and gathering and going to an instance or raid, those need to be accessible only from the game world. Those are key activities that make up an MMORPG, is running around gathering, or flying to a questing outpost and then running to your raid portal, or sitting around the crafting area in the city along with all your fellow crafters.

Yeah, but back to my original post, I really want to be able to stay out in the world questing and not going back to town for abilities.  This would also keep more people out in the world rather than sitting in town.  I don't necessarily like running out to quest and feeling like it's a ghostland out there.  I also don't want to get out there and have everything dead and have to wait for respawn timers.  Only so much time in the day for me to play, and I want to make the most of that time without having to pay some foreign company to level for me like a lot of people do.

• Demosthenes201Demosthenes201 Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by droopy

Agree to everything Demosthenes201 said +1 Allso glad to hear there will be fishing i love it! :) any more news about sitting in chairs btw? 

What you guys are doing is awesome, it's rare to see such close communication to the fanbase.

Does this mean I have a fan? :S

• MakaifyMakaify Member Posts: 5

Half of the posts on this topic aren't even mine. If you have something constructive to add we'd love to hear it. And no, I am not only concerned about my opinions. I'm responding with why a large section of MMO players feel that wouldn't work for them. Sure we can offer compromises, but those ideas didn't work. It's not mean or selfish to say so. Please stay on topic and offer your thoughts because right now your post has zero substance.

I have posted several replies in this thread, offering my ideas.

Quite frankly, you aren't speaking on behalf of the world pvp community, you are just posting what you want. I'm sure most of the people would find the compromises posted in this thread reasonable. It's just that you don't want to bend at all on your opinion.

I like the irony in your reply, saying I offer no substance to this discussion, while it's you who doesn't even want to come up with a compromise that doesn't involve giving up your own opinion about flying mounts.

While a moderator might shut me out of this thread, because I'm replying to you in such manner, but quite frankly, I don't see any point in continuing the discussion any further, if the opposing party is not willing to listen to what other people are saying.

• MyrrdhinnMyrrdhinn Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Czarr_Rom
    I have many questions! But one that I'd really love to hear the answer to, and have tried asking both via Twitter and Facebook is whether "passive emotes" are in game.

Basically, if I end a sentence with ? or ! in /say for example, will my character act them out (ala WoW)? As an RPer, this is an absolutely amazing immersion builder and I'd LOVE to see it implemented in game.

Thank you, and please! Don't hit the red button!

Edit: DOH!

Well, I'm not a 100% sure about it, but I think they might mentioned this somewhere. 

If not, than I'm sorry, but Carbine do care about RP-ers so I'm certain they'll figure out something! :)

Yeah, but back to my original post, I really want to be able to stay out in the world questing and not going back to town for abilities.  This would also keep more people out in the world rather than sitting in town.  I don't necessarily like running out to quest and feeling like it's a ghostland out there.  I also don't want to get out there and have everything dead and have to wait for respawn timers.  Only so much time in the day for me to play, and I want to make the most of that time without having to pay some foreign company to level for me like a lot of people do.

One thing Aion did that was cool was your trainer was basically a vendor that sold skillbooks (that were also available on the AH but there was no reason to buy them there). So this allowed you to fill up on skillbooks several levels ahead of time so you could learn your abilities out in the field as soon as you leveled up. That was a nice system I think. No need to interrupt what you're doing to go back to town - you can go to town on your own time, likely when you're there for other reasons already. Provided you have the bag space and money, which hopefully we'd have anyway, you can just keep questing.

One thing Aion did that was cool was your trainer was basically a vendor that sold skillbooks (that were also available on the AH but there was no reason to buy them there). So this allowed you to fill up on skillbooks several levels ahead of time so you could learn your abilities out in the field as soon as you leveled up. That was a nice system I think. No need to interrupt what you're doing to go back to town - you can go to town on your own time, likely when you're there for other reasons already. Provided you have the bag space and money, which hopefully we'd have anyway, you can just keep questing.

That's a decent solution, but still doesn't make sense that you would learn from a book rather than from experience, but that's better than having to go back to town.  Bag space would suck if it's like most MMO's though.

I have posted several replies in this thread, offering my ideas.

You haven't posted replies to any of my posts except to yell at me. If you have a good suggestion to counter something I've suggested, I'd like to hear it. But your 3 other posts thus far have had nothing to do with me.

• droopydroopy Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Demosthenes201
    Originally posted by droopy

Agree to everything Demosthenes201 said +1 Allso glad to hear there will be fishing i love it! :) any more news about sitting in chairs btw? 

What you guys are doing is awesome, it's rare to see such close communication to the fanbase.

Does this mean I have a fan? :S

I guess so, everyone that wants the (M) back in MORPG i'm a fan of. :) well it's already massive but you know what i'm talking about.

This discussion has been closed.