Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Reasons why WoW will be a smash hit :

CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

1. Made by Blizzard, up until now, they have always made very fun and quality games.

2. Will be simultaneously released across the world, including Europe, the redheaded stepchild in MMORPG land.  A few examples : SWG will be released in Europe almost a year after the US launch.  DAoC in Europe is months behind the US version in terms of updates and expansions and the CS in Europe is alot worse then in the US.  Many other MMORPG's will never be released in Europe.  Europe will support Blizzard because if this.  EQ is reasonably strong in Europe, but I am sure many of the EQ players will check out WoW, even if it is just because they are curious or have a burn out in EQ.  I am guessing 400k players from Europe will join WoW in the 1st 2 months of live.

3. Korea, the land where MMORPG's are incredibly popular with Lineage having 2.5 Million players in Korea.  Add to this that Blizzard is the absolute number 1 game selling company in Korea, without any competition ( Talking about regular boxed games here, Lineage can be downloaded ).  And add to this that WoW beta will start in the US and ... you guessed it ... Korea.  This is a very wise strategic descision from Blizzard.  If Blizzard implements a good Guild structure then I am guessing at least 500k players will join WoW in the 1st 2 months of live ( since Lineage2 is further away from release then WoW ).

4. In the US everyone is looking for a new and better MMORPG, SWG was a dissapointment at launch, and the most important reason people play SWG is because they released the game with good timing ( that is why there are so many bugs there ).  Once WoW releases everyone and his brother will probably jump of the SWG train and on the WoW train ( keep in mind they got 300k players, for a bugged game with not alot of content, purely based on franchise ).  Also DAoC, being one of the better MMORPG's, still has many vets bored, an the beta of WoW will prolly start before ToA ( latest Xpack ) comes out, and the Beta of WoW will of course include US. So many players will leave DAoC for WoW ( DAoC has around 300k players worldwide ).  WoW is direct competition for DAoC and will hurt DAoC alot.  On the EQ front there is big competition and EQ2 is comming out before WoW, but if the Beta is good then WoW will also steal players away from EQ before EQ2 is released.  I am guessing that WoW will get at least 300k players from the US.

5. Many many newbie MMORPG players will jump the WoW bandwagon, from my friends alone, 50% of the gamers will try out WoW as their 1st MMORPG.  I am guessing WoW will get at least 200k players worldwide from MMORPG newbies who played the Warcraft and Diablo series.

So my estimate is that after 2 months of live WoW will have 1.400.000 players worldwide, making it the second biggest MMORPG after Lineage.  If they will be able to keep those players mainly depends on the quality of the game during the 1st 2 months of launch.

These are all speculations, only time will tell ... :)

Greetings,

CyberGhost.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

Comments

• transitbustransitbus Member Posts: 32
    Sorry WoW will not do that well after 6 months, its graphics are not nearly as good as the current EQ graphics which are a real shame because I was really looking forward to this game. Graphics are a very important part in the gaming experience I don't want to play a game that has a dated gaming engine or in WoW's case the look of a dated engine

• VindvalyaVindvalya Member Posts: 115

OMG the graphics are about a million times better then EQ graphics. The art is different but I have never seen a Blizzard game that didn't look great. EQ on the other hand...

I also doubt WoW will do quite that well but the Blizzard name goes a long way. I personally think it will do well amongst EQ players that like the PvE aspect and people new to MMORPGs drawn in by the Blizard name.

People that continue to play DAoC play for RvR, something WoW doesn't really feature. Even if people leave DAoC for WoW I don't see them cancelling their account because they will want to get back to RvR at times.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    I doubt it will do that well and i think theres too much hype about it. I think its gonna fizzle like SWG although i hope it doesnt.

• HoodwinkHoodwink Member Posts: 61

The graphics are cartoon like but as alongs as they aren't totally rubbish I think people will forgive that for good game play.

Some may come from other MMORPG's to play WoW but I don't think it will be as many as you are predicting above.. just my opinionimage

Hoodwink - Half Elf Ranger

Hoodwink

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

Blizzard is making the game with those graphics on purpose.  I like the way it looks.  It's not so real it looks fake...

I would give good graphics for good gameplay any time.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • TinyTiny Member Posts: 31

:::^(:: Is there really no PvP in WoW ? Man that sucks....RvR in WoW would be just great. The horde vs the ally..Great. Why arent they doing this. I dont get it.

Live by the sword - Die by the sword

There's going to be PvP.  If I was walking around and seen you,  I could always "dual" you. . . you would have to accept the dual and we would start to fight.  No EXP lost or loot.

Second PvP are arenas...  you will be able to bet on guild wars in the arena or etc.... 1 v 1, or 2v2, etc... that's going to be pretty neat.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?

Hmpf but as long as there is no RvR its no good PvP. Maaan are these Blizzard guys dumb or smthn like that ? RvR is the greatest thing on DAoC..thats the only reason why it has so much subscribers. And this Horde and Ally thing is just perfect..i dont get it..Yeah ok three Realms would be better, but 2 is cool ,too. SO WHY NO RvR ? *isgoinginsane*

You have to remember the game is still in it's final ALPHA stages... long time before anything's final.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694
    Djins statement is 100% true.

The statement above about WoW becoming flooded with european players, I believe this to be true.. but i highly doubt 200,000... but.. at least we dream big right image

---------------------------------------
    You can't stop the bum rush
    www.mmorpg.com - staff

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

Lets pray for that Djin. With the RvR thing it would be the godda*n best MMORPG EVER !!!

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     I love the cartoon look of this game. The graphics aren't up to date which will be nice and smooth while the graphics are good enough for you to believe that your in a nice fantasy world.  I like the idea of the arena with 2vs2 and stuff. Also tons of transportation for this game. It should turn out well i hope.

Homer-"let the bears pay the bear tax, but i pay the Homer tax."
    Lisa-"Dad, that's the homeOWNERS tax!"
    Homer-"Whatever I'll be at Moes."

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • DiabolicalDiabolical Member Posts: 27
    EQ2=Great Graphics/Bad Gameplay=Requires Uber Com=Minority=Less Money

WoW=Good Graphics/Excellent Gameplay=Requires Average Com=Majority=More Money

Get my equation?

Áh¾ß¤ðÑ®

Áh?ß?ðÑ®

• shadowbanershadowbaner Member Posts: 16
    EVERQUEST cant even compare to WOW. whoever that dumb bit*h was that said EQ had better graphics than WOW there just plain out dumb.  And i also belive that alot of players will play WOW but not as many as that one dude said who started this discussion.

POopEr

The Realm Online: 32 warrior 22 wizard

ShadowBane: 45 ranger 58 priest

• KingBuddy30KingBuddy30 Member Posts: 59
    I would have to agree with shadowbaner. "EVERQUEST cant even compare to WOW". EQ is 100 times shiter. By the way i am playing eq till wow comes out so i would know. As for Blizzard selling 1.5 million they will do that fucking easy as. Do u guys know how many copies of Warcraft 3 got pre-ordered ? Around 1 - 5 million i aint 100% sure but around that. Warcraft has a god dam HUGE Fan base. Also lots of d2 fans will come sice they like RPG games. Starcraft , Diablo 2 , Warcraft 3 all thos Blizzard games have easy sold over million copies. Also u forgot Australia hehe ill be getting it down here so will my mates down here. I think in 1 year after the game has been around there will be around 2 million people playing it. This game will wipe the floor of EQ2 and it will make SoE thos lazy fuckers to improve there standards. The only turn off with this game is that u need to pay to play. But that is with all mmorpgs.

Igsharmik

Games I Play:

Quake Live
    Track Mania Nations Forever
    Runes of Magic

• OmolOmol Member Posts: 332
    Dont forget the 10% overall land mass that will have PvP added to it.

----------------------------
    Omol da'Ox
    The Blooded

----------------------------
    Omol da'Ox

• BlabendishenBlabendishen Member Posts: 33
    Only three skills per class (for now officially) is stab to the gut from gameplay perspective IMO. Hope time will give us more info before everyone is hit by the hype wave. It's probably too late though, 'cause I think a lot here *including me* are surfing the wave already. image

A lurker who decided to step out of the shadows... ;-)

---------
    Gi (honesty), yu (courage), jin (compassion), tei (courtesy), meyo (honor), makoto (sincerity) and chugo (Duty) are the Seven Tenets of Bushido. Make them yours...

• [BBF]DeADBoY[BBF]DeADBoY Member Posts: 2
    Ah WoW. I believe it is being overhyped but it will still be a good game depending on how Blizzard plays things. If it will not have too much PVP then it needs RVR its that simple. Otherwise what the heck is the point of the game? To combat NPCS and all that stuff. I need a lot of player interaction. I just hope Blizzard makes it with a lot.

[BBF]DeADBoYz
    Baptized By Fire
    Multi Game Battle Clan and WoW Guild
    [html]www.clanbbf.com[/html]

[BBF]DeADBoYz
    Baptized By Fire
    WoW Guild and Multi Game Clan
    www.clanbbf.com

• BurningManBurningMan Member Posts: 613
    Wow will own!

• KorrganKorrgan Member Posts: 20
    Part of the reason I think SWG failed, was that everyone had big expectations for it due to it being hugely over hyped.  I hope that fate doesn't happen to WoW.

I'm nothing if not your memories, your heartbreak, please let me be
    your joy and your pain. Let me be all the words that you'd unsay.

I'm nothing if not your memories, your heartbreak, please let me be
    your joy and your pain. Let me be all the words that you'd unsay.

You guys might want to check out this and compare it to other big game companys. http://www.blizzard.com/inblizz/awards.shtml

Igsharmik

Games I Play:

Quake Live
    Runes of Magic

• jeep21243jeep21243 Member Posts: 178
    can we stop hyping this game??  its like over a year off, and not even in beta - not a soul outside the development ring has even seen the mechanics of game play, for all anyone knows it could suck

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694
    True... as time goes on I kinda.. have my doubts about this game.  As a true Blizzard fan though I still anticipate it, but I dont think i'll play it for long... life's getting hectic and games aren't really on my list lately image

-- STAFF

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

People have played it a little at E3. Also two guys from a gaming mag played it for like 2 days. Both got cool reviews and reports.

Igsharmik

Games I Play:

Quake Live
    Runes of Magic

• kylecameron1kylecameron1 Member Posts: 240

Originally posted by jeep21243
    can we stop hyping this game??  its like over a year off, and not even in beta - not a soul outside the development ring has even seen the mechanics of game play, for all anyone knows it could suck

Hes Very wrong as you can see now as there are over 6 million people playing, its interesting to read what people think of games before they are released, like when a game is off its schedulled release date people go balistic and start swearing at every other game they can think of blaming it for the problem but the same routine happens for many mmorpgs as you can see here.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.