Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Misconceptions from Dust's haters.

2»

Comments

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by xpowderx
    I seriously do feel bad for players who only use one type of platform for his or her gaming experience.

Actually, I own(ed) quite some consoles in the past, as the PS3 is already xxxxx years old and still quit eexpensive for just 1 game (I don't like console games anymore, period), I don't see myself buying a CCP game when they refuse to fix their main game.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Muke

Originally posted by xpowderx
    I seriously do feel bad for players who only use one type of platform for his or her gaming experience.

Actually, I own(ed) quite some consoles in the past, as the PS3 is already xxxxx years old and still quit eexpensive for just 1 game (I don't like console games anymore, period), I don't see myself buying a CCP game when they refuse to fix their main game.

My perception of Eve is the complete opposite - I think they have 'fixed' Eve far too much - but not created enough new content.

In the past, it was the reverse - too much new content + too much 'broken' old content that had people complaining.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

There's one thing that the haters don't get... the reason for CCP going with a console.

Initially they asked Microsoft, but Microsoft refused, as crosserver-communication is against their stupid rules.

Then they settled with Sony and got additional funds to release on the PS3.

Now why did CCP actually wanted to release on the console in the first place?

Well... first would be that they wanted those console-players instead of their allready known EvE-players. Additionally the console has some very strong points going for it: cheating and hacking are basically non-existant and every player gets the same hardware to start with.
    For a competitive FPS that interacts with the EvE-universe, this is exactly what you want, and you don't even need to play it with a controller, but can simply plug in your USB-keyboard and mouse.

If they ever release Dust514 on the PC, then Dust514 will go downhill pretty fast, as cheaters and hackers will destroy the game within month.

Originally posted by Yalexy

There's one thing that the haters don't get... the reason for CCP going with a console.

Initially they asked Microsoft, but Microsoft refused, as crosserver-communication is against their stupid rules.

Then they settled with Sony and got additional funds to release on the PS3.

Now why did CCP actually wanted to release on the console in the first place?

Well... first would be that they wanted those console-players instead of their allready known EvE-players. Additionally the console has some very strong points going for it: cheating and hacking are basically non-existant and every player gets the same hardware to start with.
    For a competitive FPS that interacts with the EvE-universe, this is exactly what you want, and you don't even need to play it with a controller, but can simply plug in your USB-keyboard and mouse.

If they ever release Dust514 on the PC, then Dust514 will go downhill pretty fast, as cheaters and hackers will destroy the game within month.

I agree. It's a very competative game - there has to be a level playing field.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203
    Originally posted by Southpaw.Gamer

I feel the need to address this thread for various reasons.  As a Game Design student these are my thoughts on DUST 514…

#1 Why Console over PC?

They say it is because they do not want to drag players away from EVE; they say they want to try expanding to a different audience (Console Players).  That’s great.  Only a few problems with this however…

1.        DUST 514 is an FPS game that can be played on a casual level.  FPS means that it will not compete for the bulk of EVE players and it being a game people can play casually means EVE players can enjoy both as many already do because they own a PS3. 

2.       Console shooter games more often than not die out quickly when the next big name title is released.  The Console market does not have the staying power the PC market currently has.

3.       The PS4 is right around the corner.  I hope they planned for this because if their game does not work on the PS4 or make use of the more powerful hardware all this effort is for not. 

Long story short DUST 514 should have been and rightfully should be a PC product because…

1.        Gives access to 100% of CPPs fan base and current EVE players who would play the game at least on a casual level.  That is at least 400K people. 

2.       Hardware / Graphics / Controls PC hands down beat the PS3.  DUST 514 will always be known as a Console port even if there does end up being a PC client in the future. (PCs were doing 32 man teams TEN years ago)

3.       Longevity / Upgradability.  If they improve the game for the PS4 what about the PS3 users? PCs can at least be upgraded.

Gameplay wise I have not played too much, I have been a Beta tester for ages however could not get into it at the time I gained access because of the lack of players online (I realize times have changed in that regard).

Great concept gone to waste is the opinion of this Game Design student.  Someday in the future this game will be looked at by students such as myself as a lesson is what not to do. 

You're severely underestimating the size of the PS3's playerbase.  This game is also free2play which I find to be far superior marketing than paying $60 for a Call of Duty shooter plus $15 per expansion only to have to buy a new shooter a year later when another comes out and the current one is full of glitchers and boosters.

CCP is making a game that they will nourish for years.  Other companies make shooters that they plan on dropping support for once their next game comes out.

Further, I find this article to be very telling of the current console situation.  http://www.geek.com/articles/games/ps3-surpasses-xbox-360-in-console-sales-20130110/

It states that last month, the PS3 surpassed the 360 in sales.  PS3 has sold 77 million units since launch, to the 360's 76 million.

I don't know about you, but I find 77 million potential players (yes I know there aren't that many ACTIVE players) a lot more promising than a guaranteed 400k (we know not all of EVE's players would play as well).  PC requires a lot more thought into development based on the sheer number of hardware combinations.  Releasing on a console with such a large playerbase means that thousands of players will have virtually identical system specs, as well as hacking not being such an issue that it is on PC games.

Originally posted by Sheista
    Originally posted by Southpaw.Gamer

I feel the need to address this thread for various reasons.  As a Game Design student these are my thoughts on DUST 514…

#1 Why Console over PC?

They say it is because they do not want to drag players away from EVE; they say they want to try expanding to a different audience (Console Players).  That’s great.  Only a few problems with this however…

1.        DUST 514 is an FPS game that can be played on a casual level.  FPS means that it will not compete for the bulk of EVE players and it being a game people can play casually means EVE players can enjoy both as many already do because they own a PS3. 

2.       Console shooter games more often than not die out quickly when the next big name title is released.  The Console market does not have the staying power the PC market currently has.

3.       The PS4 is right around the corner.  I hope they planned for this because if their game does not work on the PS4 or make use of the more powerful hardware all this effort is for not. 

Long story short DUST 514 should have been and rightfully should be a PC product because…

1.        Gives access to 100% of CPPs fan base and current EVE players who would play the game at least on a casual level.  That is at least 400K people. 

2.       Hardware / Graphics / Controls PC hands down beat the PS3.  DUST 514 will always be known as a Console port even if there does end up being a PC client in the future. (PCs were doing 32 man teams TEN years ago)

3.       Longevity / Upgradability.  If they improve the game for the PS4 what about the PS3 users? PCs can at least be upgraded.

Gameplay wise I have not played too much, I have been a Beta tester for ages however could not get into it at the time I gained access because of the lack of players online (I realize times have changed in that regard).

Great concept gone to waste is the opinion of this Game Design student.  Someday in the future this game will be looked at by students such as myself as a lesson is what not to do. 

You're severely underestimating the size of the PS3's playerbase.  This game is also free2play which I find to be far superior marketing than paying $60 for a Call of Duty shooter plus $15 per expansion only to have to buy a new shooter a year later when another comes out and the current one is full of glitchers and boosters.

CCP is making a game that they will nourish for years.  Other companies make shooters that they plan on dropping support for once their next game comes out.

Further, I find this article to be very telling of the current console situation.  http://www.geek.com/articles/games/ps3-surpasses-xbox-360-in-console-sales-20130110/

It states that last month, the PS3 surpassed the 360 in sales.  PS3 has sold 77 million units since launch, to the 360's 76 million.

I don't know about you, but I find 77 million potential players (yes I know there aren't that many ACTIVE players) a lot more promising than a guaranteed 400k (we know not all of EVE's players would play as well).  PC requires a lot more thought into development based on the sheer number of hardware combinations.  Releasing on a console with such a large playerbase means that thousands of players will have virtually identical system specs, as well as hacking not being such an issue that it is on PC games.

That's the best explanation I've read by a long way.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

uh really, 16 on 16?

wow, that's the ammount PC shooters had like 10++ years ago.

the only reason i bitch (and ignore) dust514 is the only reason i bitch and ignore every concole shooter :)

it's on console. real shooters are played on the PC.

thx for the discussion tho. was fun.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Thane

uh really, 16 on 16?

the only reason i bitch (and ignore) dust514 is the only reason i bitch and ignore every concole shooter :)

Don't blame that limitation on consoles, it's really on the developers. Mag for PS3 was a pretty massive FPS. Mag could have up to 256 players in a battle and it was PS3 only. 

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

uh really, 16 on 16?

Don't blame that limitation on consoles, it's really on the developers. Mag for PS3 was a pretty massive FPS. Mag could have up to 256 players in a battle and it was PS3 only. 

yea well. if we are naming max here, planetside 1 was released like 7 years earlier :P

anyway, didn't know about mag, kudos. so the devs are just too lazy on the consoles, shocking news, guess that's why they developed for the console in the first place anyway hehe

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830

I think Dust has as much potential as CCP management will allow them. We are talking the Unreal engine here. There are no limits except what CCP sets in place. I have found that some of my console gaming buddies are really excited for the game so I showed them Eve Online. 2 of the three friends just upgraded their PC's for Eve Online. So there is the carrot. But over all I have felt a little dissed by the fact I can't play Dust 514 on my PC. As a PC gamer I do feel shafted.

As a capsuleer I see fesh meat.  

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    I'll never know whether the game sucks or not because I'm not buying a PS3 just to find out.  /shrug
  • irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

I just started playing today, just finished playing 4 hours straight lol.

I am used to PC shooters and MMOs, so far imo Dust 514 is a solid game with a very expansive concept and setting.

Problems I experienced as a noob playing the game who mainly focuses on PC FPS and MMOs was the lower framerates, muddy graphics/colors, and the bugs although this is a true beta so I dont fault it for the few minor glitches I experienced.  

The biggest issue I can see less patient players having problems with in their first couple of days of playing is the gear gaps being huge between players. Example I fought players that had proto gear or something and their Shields were like 2-3 times more powerful than the other noobs like me so it was near insta death fighting them, let alone groups.

I know the gear issue will balance out for everyone eventually but I think on launch its gonna be a serious point of complaint from players, and result in alot of ragequits...then again its f2p so its not that bad imo.

Overall I have enjoyed my initial experience with Dust and I plan to keep on playing for the forseeable future with alot of hope for what they game can become, transcending traditional FPS on a match to match basis into a breathing universe with eve...which I may also take up again lol.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

Why disliking something makes you a hater ?

i mean, i've talked bad about the game around here, because i'm a hater ? NO, i have a opinion about the game and its not good. Should i keep it for myself ? NO, forums exists for a reason. 

So... yeah, you can enjoy Dust but the game is kinda boring, unbalanced and feels dated. Every AAA shooter on the PS3 can top that and with Killzone 3 MP free as well, Dust may have a hard time.  And i gave it more than 1 try, i even forced myself to like it because i wanted to be part of EVE's world since i can't get into EVE itself. 

Thats my opinion, you are entitled to your own. 

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Deleted:

Originally posted by Elandir90

Why disliking something makes you a hater ?

i mean, i've talked bad about the game around here, because i'm a hater ? NO, i have a opinion about the game and its not good. Should i keep it for myself ? NO, forums exists for a reason. 

So... yeah, you can enjoy Dust but the game is kinda boring, unbalanced and feels dated. Every AAA shooter on the PS3 can top that and with Killzone 3 MP free as well, Dust may have a hard time.  And i gave it more than 1 try, i even forced myself to like it because i wanted to be part of EVE's world since i can't get into EVE itself. 

Thats my opinion, you are entitled to your own. 

I sort of agree with you, and I'm a fan of DUST 514.

The thing to remember is that this game is only a beta at the moment - they are testing / focusing on the PvP mechanics.

The 'motivations' for playing DUST haven't been introduced for testing yet - e.g. regional domination of the Eve universe and drone PvE.

This MMORPG.com website has given DUST a 'released' status, which isn't correct really.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    I think you're missing the concept of misconception.
  • ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by Thane uh really, 16 on 16? wow, that's the ammount PC shooters had like 10++ years ago.     the only reason i bitch (and ignore) dust514 is the only reason i bitch and ignore every concole shooter :) it's on console. real shooters are played on the PC.   thx for the discussion tho. was fun.

Actually, MAG only had 32v32 battles. The 256 battles were split up into 4 battlefields which only influenced each other partially (kill an objective here, something moves there).

Also, people tend to forget that the 256 battles in MAG were very unpopular. They're basically dead nowadays, while 32/64 battles are easy to find.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Yamota

1,2 and 3 are not misconceptions but rather subjective opinions.

Dust is bad because they had the great idea of not releasing it on PC, which is the platform of Eve. That is why it will fail.

How do you feel about this prediction now?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Nothing sticks it right back at them like... using the same flawed logic and argument they used to discredit the game back at them... /facepalm.

wow, 16 vs 16. how impressive.

at least if you only play shoters on the consoles, or didnt play a shooter since 2k.

the only reason we hate it is quite simple: PS only game. anything you wanna rgue about that ones?

and console shooters unfortunately DO have lousy controles, no matter how much you love your console.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384

wow, 16 vs 16. how impressive.

at least if you only play shoters on the consoles, or didnt play a shooter since 2k.

the only reason we hate it is quite simple: PS only game. anything you wanna rgue about that ones?

and console shooters unfortunately DO have lousy controles, no matter how much you love your console.

No I actually like the fact that its a PS3 only game, since I happen to have a PS3.

I do have an issue with it being a 16 vs 16 game, yet calling itself a MMOFPS, when non MMOFPS PS3 games like Resistance 2 can have 64 players.

Even MAG has more and is more fun to play. the modes in MAG are way more unique than Dust514's modes.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326

10 years ago, Eve Online had 5-6000 users at prime time and CCP had little financial backup...

I do not think they are worried this time around at all.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I do have an issue with it being a 16 vs 16 game, yet calling itself a MMOFPS, when non MMOFPS PS3 games like Resistance 2 can have 64 players.

DUST 514 calls itself a massively multiplayer shooter not because of individual match size but because DUST players exist on the planets of the EVE Universe and interact directly - through communication and gameplay - not just with each other but with the EVE Online players, as well.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre