Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC problem

ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

Hello

Today i have replaced my PSU and GPU with something newer and better compared to what i had before and ever since my PC randomly goes into something like a sleep mode and the text that pops up whenever i power up my PC (MSI, Top quality  & stability mainboard) appears on my screen and so it stays until i either restart or shut down my pc,clicking or moving the mouse or whatever else doesn't do anything.

These are my specs in case it helps:

CPU: AMD phenom II x4 965 BE
GPU: Radeon 7870 XT with boost
PSU: Seasonic s12II 620w Bronze
Mobo: MSI 870s-c45 (fx)
RAM: 8 GB coirsair vengeance
HDD: Samsung 500 gb

If anybody has a solution or knows what causes this then please do provide info on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

So basically, your computer fails to POST?

Before, you said that you had overclocked the processor.  Can you get into the BIOS and revert the overclock to the stock speed of 3.4 GHz?  Or can you not even get into the BIOS at all?

It's possible that when plugging cables back in for the new power supply, you forgot to plug something in.  But I can't think of anything for which failing to plug it in would cause the computer to freeze at the splash screen.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

It does not freeze at startup.I  tried to say that whenever this hibernation/sleep mode kicks in the same text that pops up at the startup appears on the monitor and it stays there just like that.I mean,i can play games and browse the internet just fine but then at random times this shit happens.

Cables i plugged in wen i set up the PSU:

1x 24 pin connector into the motherboard 

1x 4 pin connector for the CPU

2x SATA connectors,into the HDD and DVD/RW

2x 6 pin connectors into the GPU

So everything works fine except that when it goes into sleep mode, it gets stuck?

It seems so.I have set everything  in regards to screensaver and sleep/hibernation to never in control panel.Even then it shouldn't just go into sleep mode when i do stuff on it.

I keep saying sleep mode but i'm not even sure if it is sleep mode.

Are you actively doing anything on the computer when it brings up the motherboard splash screen?  Or does it happen when you leave the computer idle?  Or does it no longer happen since you disabled sleep mode?
    It hasn't happened in an hour or more now(but as i said,it happens randomly at random intervals).It did happen both when i was actively doing something and wen i left it idle.It did happen after i disabled any kind of sleep mode/screen saver.

But when it does happen, restarting the computer fixes it immediately?  Does your computer typically show the same splash screen when it boots?

Also, if it freezes like that again, what happens if you leave it like that for, say, 10 minutes.  Does something else eventually happen or does it just stay frozen?

I wonder if something is briefly losing power and resetting your system.

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Sounds like the new PSU isn't keeping it's end up to be honest.
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719

Have u double checked that in the control options - power settings u have high perfomance plan selected, and that when u click change plan settings it says never put computer on sleep. When there click change advanced power settings, and go through them

Check that turn off hard drive setting is set to : Never

Pci express link state power management to : never

Multimedia settings when sharing media set to : prevent idling to sleep

Sleep - sleep after setting to : never

Also it might be good to erase the hibernation file and disable hibernation completely:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/itdojo/delete-hiberfilsys-by-disabling-windows-hibernate-function/1493

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I would start setting money aside for a new motherboard, CPU and RAM.  Go ahead and listen to what everyone else suggests, but I'm thinking it's terminal (just threw away another Athlon with the exact same problem). Might want to see if you can update your BIOS though.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Hello again

The splash image always shows up on boot,it always had.If i leave the screen like that for 10 mins or more nothing happens.My computer power plan is set on high performance indeed.

I have played TERA for 20 minutes or more before posting here and no problems what so ever.After i quit the game and came on these forums it did go into sleeping/hibernating/whatever mode.When i restarted the pc by pressing down the button it did boot up to the splash screen and it got stuck there and i had to restart it again.This time i got up the repair thinggy before booting into windows.

Also,i doubt its the PSU since it doesn''t even stress itself.

I wonder if going for a clean format would help.

Originally posted by eyelolled
    I would start setting money aside for a new motherboard, CPU and RAM.  Go ahead and listen to what everyone else suggests, but I'm thinking it's terminal (just threw away another Athlon with the exact same problem). Might want to see if you can update your BIOS though.

My cpu is fine,i never had problems with it and even now it runs games very well.With this current set up i get 70+ fps in Tera with everything on max settings on 1080p,shadows ,AA,everything.

Also what do you think is wrong with my RAM?its this exact model : Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit

Try undoing your CPU overclock first.  If you're getting weird problems with overclocked hardware, then the first thing you should try is restoring the stock speeds in case it's as simple as an unstable overclock.  See if that fixes the problem before trying anything more complicated.

Remember that a higher power video card means a lot more stress on the system than before, both in temperatures and power draw.

• McPickleMcPickle Member Posts: 39

This could be alot of things. Based on the info you;ve given so far. Here's what I would try.

Just to be sure, I'd dl MSIafterburnner and check the the temp on that gpu

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Also, did you uninstall the old GPU drivers from the pc/registry before installing the new 1?

You could throw the old Power supply in and see if it still persists with the new GPU and old PSU. That will tell you if it's the power supply or not.

Could be an OS issue, if all else fails id reimage. 

I understand what you're  saying but it seems strange since i never had problems with the overclocked CPU before .I also understand that i now got a GPU that is more consuming in terms of power but i also got a better PSU which has 220 more W than the one i had before.

If the 5770 i had before would draw ~260 power at full load in demanding games that means that the card i have right now has to draw something like 480 from the PSU to cause it to shut down.That is assuming that my previous setup used the full 400w of my revious PSU.

Originally posted by McPickle

This could be alot of things. Based on the info you;ve given so far. Here's what I would try.

Also, did you uninstall the old GPU drivers from the pc/registry before installing the new 1?

Hi

It is good that you pointed out the drivers because i actually forgot to uninstall the old ones.Strange because i always do that before installing any new drivers.

Thanks.

• McPickleMcPickle Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by Zadawn

Hi

It is good that you pointed out the drivers because i actually forgot to uninstall the old ones.Strange because i always do that before installing any new drivers.

Thanks.

I was too slow with my edit:

You could throw the old Power supply in and see if it still persists with the new GPU and old PSU. That will tell you if it's the power supply or not.

I mean you have 1 of 3 probs. The psu,gpu, or OS(or drivers with os), unless your MB hates your GPU.. IMO best way is try to eliminate those 1 by 1. You could also do the reverse and leave the new PSU and put the old GPU back in. I wouldn't do either until I tried a driver fix 1st though.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by eyelolled

My cpu is fine,i never had problems with it and even now it runs games very well.With this current set up i get 70+ fps in Tera with everything on max settings on 1080p,shadows ,AA,everything.

Also what do you think is wrong with my RAM?its this exact model : Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit

actually, I think it's the motherboard, but with the system I just dealt with, it was using DDR2 so it was a complete replacement. It's typically not worth finding a motherboard for an older CPU.  What I was really trying to say was go ahead and try the things other people offer up, but prepare yourself for a worst case scenario.

The system I was working with would not wake from hibernate but if you discharged the power, the system would boot and operate normally without any flaw. It just deteriorated though to the point of throwing it away. It was frustrating to troubleshoot because when it booted the system ran flawless. The only other oddity with that system was it would not boot off of disk. Tried multiple replacement optical drives to no avail.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Hi

Thanks.

That could be the problem right there, though if it were, I'd think you'd get a blue screen or some such before it reset.

I understand what you're  saying but it seems strange since i never had problems with the overclocked CPU before .I also understand that i now got a GPU that is more consuming in terms of power but i also got a better PSU which has 220 more W than the one i had before.

If the 5770 i had before would draw ~260 power at full load in demanding games that means that the card i have right now has to draw something like 480 from the PSU to cause it to shut down.That is assuming that my previous setup used the full 400w of my revious PSU. 

There are several answers to that.  First, I'm not telling you to leave the CPU at the stock speed forever.  I'm just saying to revert to the stock speeds as a test and see if it fixes the problem.  Whether it fixes it or it doesn't, that gives us some information on what is wrong.

Second, the maximum stable overclock depends not just on the motherboard, power supply, and CPU, but also on the temperature.  A large fraction of CPU chips can reach 6 GHz if cooled by liquid nitrogen.  Very few (possibly none) can be stable at 6 GHz on air cooling in a 25 C room.  Having a video card putting out far more heat means that the ambient temperature inside the case is likely to be hotter, and that makes the CPU run hotter.

Third, overclocking a CPU to near its limit tends to slowly damage it through electromigration.  This usually doesn't mean a chip is suddenly dead, but it does tend to mean that as time passes, the maximum stable overclock decreases.  If this were the sole problem, it's unlikely that it would first rear its head the day that you replaced the power supply.  Even so, a 3.8 GHz overclock on that motherboard has a decent chance of not remaining stable forever.

Fourth, you're putting more stress on the motherboard than before, so it may not deliver power to the CPU as well as it used to.  Overclocking a Phenom II X4 965 to 3.8 GHz on a low end motherboard was already pushing things.  While the CPU draws its power from the 4/8-pin CPU connector and the PCI Express slots draw power from the 24-pin motherboard connector, more heat from the video card means that the motherboard itself gets hotter.

After i uninstalled all AMD drivers and installed the latest BETA driver,i have left my PC on for over an hour and nothing happened.If it does it again though i will  set my CPU to its stock clocks.

I think that i have finally found out what the problem was.I will not tell because i am ashamed but i thank everyone that tried to help me out.

It actually is not what i thought it was the first time.I thought it was the fact that i wasn't using a genuine copy of OS but then i bought a copy of windows 8 and it still did it.

Shaking my case while the pc is powered causes this issue.I've looked around the internet for more ideas on what to do and people that had similar issues said that it can be a grounding issue.

I will try and use the old power cable for the PSU and see if it stops if not i will also try to use a different outlet,it might not connect well.

I appreciate any other ideas you guys can come up with.

EDIT:I have changed the outlet and the power cable and then shook my case like i did before( i know it isn't a good thing but io had to check somehow) ,several times, and nothing happened.I hope this was the problem and nothing else.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    BIOS! maybe.  What kind of cable are you using from your PC to your monitor?  Also where you using Windows 7 with your old build, and decided to upgrade to Windows 8 in this new build?

Yes i have used W7 before and now using W8 but it happened on both W7 and W8 so it wasn't an OS problem.I also upgraded to the latest  BIOS version and it still happened.All  those until i changed the power cable and the outlet.

Though it did not happen since then it can still happen as i have went with more than a couple hours without having it restart ,but hopefully this was the problem.