Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2M F2P vs. 1.7M Reconciling the numbers.

2»

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by gervaise1
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by simplius

if i log into EVE, i can see how many players are online ,,every time

compare that to EAs quarterly reports, which are intentionally vague

also note, that EA numbers appear to be beefed up

cccp may do the same,,but not to the same extent

one company have good numbers,,and theyre proud, to show them

the other company have bad numbers,,and what do they do?

If I log into TOR I can see server load on the server screen and when I play I can /who for all players playing, it takes a bit more effort but I last did it (yes I'm sad) when i recently resubbed to TOR after a 8 month absence. Server, The Progenitor RP server EU,  server load Heavy, the player concurrent logins on server, 4598, both factions counted Sunday evening peak time. Every Planet has how many players are on the planet in the top left corner with friends and guildies online, you can search OP's, FP's, WZ's, class, race etc.. can you do that in EvE? The info is there for all to see if you want to, so do you want to its free?

NEXT!

err .. yes. You do know how many servers and instances Eve has yes? CCP also produce regular figures for "subs" - and like Blizzard they count an active monthly game card as a sub.

EA brings comments about its numbers upon itself. As tiefighter25 mentioned last February EA announced in their quarterly report that SWTOR had 1.7M subscribers but in March revealed that "just about half of those" were in their free month. Now counted people in their free month is fine but that wasn't how EA pitched the number. Then last summer they gave all subscribers a free month - which almost certainly resulted in their 1M to 500k count. They had padded the number but were legally obligated not to mislead investors - which they would have done if they had suggested that the game back then still had 1M.

And now at the end of March Bioware said they had 2M new F2P accounts and yet this week they only have 1.7M. Can they not count?

I have suggested a simple explanation for the difference; the alternative is that Bioware are in the business of being very creative ... with their numbers.

The thing about Eve only having 1 server kind of takes the guesswork out of it when it tells you exactly how many players are online in the game when you log in (about 30 mins ago just over 49,000)  you don't need to check planets, although if you did, you'd be counting the dust players, and i think overall theres about 4,000 of them, total that is (including the offline players image)

as for the f2p accounts in SW;TOR, they don't tend to generate any revenue, so does it matter if there are 1.7 million or 17 million of them..  0 multiplied by x amount of players is still.. 0.. image

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768

EA announced 1.7M new F2P accounts in their quarterly results. This has to be accurate.

But towards the end of March Bioware revealed that they had 2M new F2P accounts.

Assuming that Bioware were being truthful the only way I can reconcile the two numbers is if 300k F2P accounts became subscribers in April when Makeb came out. (The $10 discount being close to the cost of a 1 month sub).

As EA also said that the game had "just under 500k" this would also mean that prior to Makeb the game had c. 200k subs.

NOTE: only assumption here is that Bioware were telling the truth.

EA also said that since they went F2P they had doubled their monthly revenue.

ASSUMPTION:  the game had 200k subs prior to going F2P and an average of 200k from December through March.

- So: pre-F2P revenue would have been c. 200k x $15 or $3M / month.

- For December through March revenue would have been (200k x $15) + cash shop. Or $12M + cash shop over 4 months.

- In April revenue jumps to: Subs: 500k x $15; Makeb purchases: 500kk x $10. Or $12.5M + cash shop.

- Total revenue in 5 months: $24.5M + cash shop or a monthly average of $4.9M + cash shop.

So doubling their revenue would mean that the cash shop would have to have generated (at least) $5.5M in 5 months. $1M per month average. 50c. a month based on 2M accounts or $10 over 5 months based on 100k people paying. (Zynga's metrics suggest that only 5% of F2P account pay anything, most play for free!).

So this works with what EA and Bioware have said.

TWEAK: the game probably lost some subscribers after it went F2P. If it had c. 260k prior to going F2P then this would have been $4M revenue per month. And to double revenue EA would have to have made $15.5M from the cash shop in 5 months. Say $3M per month or an average of $1.50 based on 2M accounts per month or $30 total from 100k users. Probably something between the two extremes: F2P accounts spending $5 to get preferred and then others buying packs etc.

I think I am happy with the number of subs dropping when the game went F2P and the cash shop bringing in more money but these sort of numbers seem to work with what Bioware and EA have said.

What is the point of your thread?  Is it just another hate thread??????

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    What is the point of your thread?  Is it just another hate thread??????

I think he was trying to rationalize how 2 million new FTP accounts suddenly became 1.7 million new FTP accounts.

I guess he hates a 300,000 headcount discrepancy.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

If I log into TOR I can see server load on the server screen and when I play I can /who for all players playing, it takes a bit more effort but I last did it (yes I'm sad) when i recently resubbed to TOR after a 8 month absence. Server, The Progenitor RP server EU,  server load Heavy, the player concurrent logins on server, 4598, both factions counted Sunday evening peak time. Every Planet has how many players are on the planet in the top left corner with friends and guildies online, you can search OP's, FP's, WZ's, class, race etc.. can you do that in EvE? The info is there for all to see if you want to, so do you want to its free?

NEXT!

err .. yes. You do know how many servers and instances Eve has yes? CCP also produce regular figures for "subs" - and like Blizzard they count an active monthly game card as a sub.

EA brings comments about its numbers upon itself. As tiefighter25 mentioned last February EA announced in their quarterly report that SWTOR had 1.7M subscribers but in March revealed that "just about half of those" were in their free month. Now counted people in their free month is fine but that wasn't how EA pitched the number. Then last summer they gave all subscribers a free month - which almost certainly resulted in their 1M to 500k count. They had padded the number but were legally obligated not to mislead investors - which they would have done if they had suggested that the game back then still had 1M.

And now at the end of March Bioware said they had 2M new F2P accounts and yet this week they only have 1.7M. Can they not count?

I have suggested a simple explanation for the difference; the alternative is that Bioware are in the business of being very creative ... with their numbers.

Your post is irrelevant, my post has actual numbers taken from the games /who lists which can be corroborated by parsing them to your guildies who are online. The post is refuting the post quoted with actual data that is all it is, so I'm not sure why you quoted me. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

NEXT!

no thanx, im a carebear, so i dont play EVE

but i do have higher confidence in ccp numbers, than in those from EA

hell,,at this point,,i would believe in hitler, rather than EA

A free MMO that allows you to /who all players on the server, seems like someone is truly a carebear and a keyboard warrior to boot. Your inference and Ref Minor's that you can find out the amount of players on Tranquility and not any of EA's TOR servers has been found out to be not true and this is all you can come up with.

"hell,,at this point,,i would believe in hitler, rather than EA"

Also it is this...

"Hell, at this point I would rather believe in Hitler, than EA"

The information is there for all to see.

NEXT!

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by Phry

NEXT!

The thing about Eve only having 1 server kind of takes the guesswork out of it when it tells you exactly how many players are online in the game when you log in (about 30 mins ago just over 49,000)  you don't need to check planets, although if you did, you'd be counting the dust players, and i think overall theres about 4,000 of them, total that is (including the offline players image)

as for the f2p accounts in SW;TOR, they don't tend to generate any revenue, so does it matter if there are 1.7 million or 17 million of them..  0 multiplied by x amount of players is still.. 0.. image

How many players supplement their subs with Plex? By what nuymber do you multiply 49k with to get at the actual sub number?  How many EvE players have multiple accounts? How many play on the Chinese server and buy multiple gamecards that are counted as multiple subs? Blizzard has been accused of this practice for years to fudge their numbers. There is as much guesswork with EvE as with any other MMO. Keep spinning guys.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

[mod edit]
    You are obviously new here. The answer is, "Nope".

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

NEXT!

How many players supplement their subs with Plex? By what nuymber do you multiply 49k with to get at the actual sub number?  How many EvE players have multiple accounts? How many play on the Chinese server and buy multiple gamecards that are counted as multiple subs? Blizzard has been accused of this practice for years to fudge their numbers. There is as much guesswork with EvE as with any other MMO. Keep spinning guys.

The Chinese game cards are usable on multiple games not just EvE, they would therefore only be counted when activated against an EvE account, similar to how a subscription would count once payment is made against an account. I believe there is just over 100k Chinese subs. I can't tell you how many Japanese subs there are, or Russian or US or EU, nationality doesn't matter, a monthly sub is a monthly sub.

Why is Plex relevant? If I purchase a Plex and sell it for credits and the buyer pays for their subscription with it, why on earth would it count differently than if my Auntie bought me a gametime card for WoW vs a regular WoW subscription

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by ninjapy
    WTF, who gives a shit. Can't people just play a game anymore and not have a need to ANALyze shit that means nothing to them what so ever.

You are obviously new here. The answer is, "Nope".

The forums would be pretty damn dead without the hair-splitting.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by Skooma2

Allow me to state at the outset that I am not a troll.  I have a question that perhaps can be answered by the community.

Why do any of you care how many subs a particular MMO has?  Unless you are 1) playing a game teetering on the edge of a shutdown cliff,or, 2) are a shareholder of the company at issue,  what possible difference can a game's sub numbers mean to you?

People want their choice of entertainment vindicated for some weird reason. I don't understand why, but I'm guessing those people don't have much going on for them IRL.

People can't play games because they enjoy it. That's freaking crazy talk!

First you have to find out how popular the game is, then look at stock prices for the publisher. After that, you head to the forums to see what complete strangers think of the game. After that, you look at Raptr and Xfire for reasons unknown; maybe check out Amazon reviews and Metacritic while you're at it. Next, maybe you're finally close to deciding whether or not you can enjoy the game, but first you have to analyze every aspect of the game and compare it against a game that you still love but refuse to play because it's too old. 

It's really not that damn complicated. Are you enjoying the game? If so, continue playing it. If you're not, then quit and move on with your life.

Sorry for the rant. 

Originally posted by RefMinor

NEXT!

The Chinese game cards are usable on multiple games not just EvE, they would therefore only be counted when activated against an EvE account, similar to how a subscription would count once payment is made against an account. I believe there is just over 100k Chinese subs. I can't tell you how many Japanese subs there are, or Russian or US or EU, nationality doesn't matter, a monthly sub is a monthly sub.

Why is Plex relevant? If I purchase a Plex and sell it for credits and the buyer pays for their subscription with it, why on earth would it count differently than if my Auntie bought me a gametime card for WoW vs a regular WoW subscription

Thanks for answering those two questions I wondered where you were. Plex is relevant as it is a way for subscribers with multiple accounts to pay for their alt accounts, which puts into question how many individual accounts EvE has. EvE is a game that only allows the leveling of one character per account so in order to play EvE effectively you really need multiple accounts and puts questions to the actual nature of all those 500k accounts. So you believe there to be 100k Chinese accounts? So.. There is as much guesswork with EvE as with any other MMO. You are making the claim that CCP are more transparent about their playerbase than EA which is clearly wrong.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by simsalabim77

It's a classic attack, ye olden subs argument.

Not quite sure why; by this point, more/most players should have encountered a "lesser" title (not one of the current, say, five biggest), a "niche" game that they personally enjoyed playing?

May be the one and only way to break a Popularity True Believer out of the habit, I suppose.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by RefMinor

NEXT!

Thanks for answering those two questions I wondered where you were. Plex is relevant as it is a way for subscribers with multiple accounts to pay for their alt accounts, which puts into question how many individual accounts EvE has. EvE is a game that only allows the leveling of one character per account so in order to play EvE effectively you really need multiple accounts and puts questions to the actual nature of all those 500k accounts. So you believe there to be 100k Chinese accounts? So.. There is as much guesswork with EvE as with any other MMO. You are making the claim that CCP are more transparent about their playerbase than EA which is clearly wrong.

Some plex will be used to pay for multiple accounts, some will pay for time rich folks to play for free. Some people have multiple accounts in WoW and in others, some people accounts are paid for by others, at the end of the day the only meaningful number is the number of paid for accounts whether by credit card, Plex or parents buying gift cards.

I apologise for my Chinese language skills not being up to searching for an official number for the Chinese only server.

If you think EA are more transprent than CCP about their subscriber numbers then there isn't anything I can say to help you see reality so go ahead and claim victory, you win the internetz.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

NEXT!

A free MMO that allows you to /who all players on the server, seems like someone is truly a carebear and a keyboard warrior to boot. Your inference and Ref Minor's that you can find out the amount of players on Tranquility and not any of EA's TOR servers has been found out to be not true and this is all you can come up with.

Also it is this...

NEXT!

okay, then,,go and count them

and compare your numbers, to EAs

i would be VERY surprised , if they match each other

sorry about my bad grammar,,but when you can write me in my native language, you might have a point

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    I believe the amount of time and effort put into trying to work out the number of subscribers for SWTOR could be better spent on something people actually care about.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor
    I believe the amount of time and effort put into trying to work out the number of subscribers for SWTOR could be better spent on something people actually care about.

Fat chance of that happening! XD

EA just 'won' the worst company in US over Exxon (famous for such things as the Mayflower oil spill of 2013 and then tried to silence the media) that tells you all you need to know about priorities.

EA is a 'hot' share right now though which means the investors are happy.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

EA just 'won' the worst company in US over Exxon (famous for such things as the Mayflower oil spill of 2013 and then tried to silence the media) that tells you all you need to know about priorities.

It's kind of cute when you talk about investors as though it's a group of a few hundred guys and gals who take a lunchroom poll, and how that poll goes affects the stock price.

Originally posted by tiefighter25

It's kind of cute when you talk about investors as though it's a group of a few hundred guys and gals who take a lunchroom poll, and how that poll goes affects the stock price.

And its kind of funny (but sad) that you think stock price and investor happiness aren't linked.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

And its kind of funny (but sad) that you think stock price and investor happiness aren't linked.

Investors? As in the people who bought EA stock when it went IPO? Shareholders can only sell or show up angry at the investor calls. EA stock has gone up because EA isn't doing nearly as poorly as predicted. (After the CEO resigned and no new CEO has been installed.)

SWTOR is currently a very small part of the EA portfolio. EA already took its hit on SWTOR. I could go on, but I think my words would be wasted.

As to EA's rosy future, http://kotaku.com/ea-sports-boss-sells-all-of-his-ea-stock-but-isnt-go-501760023 sure he isn't.

Regardless, it means little to the 900+ EA employees who were just pink-slipped.

The again, the stock hasn't been this high since the rumored NCsoft takeover.

Investors? As in the people who bought EA stock when it went IPO? Shareholders can only sell or show up angry at the investor calls. EA stock has gone up because EA isn't doing nearly as poorly as predicted. (After the CEO resigned and no new CEO has been installed.)

SWTOR is currently a very small part of the EA portfolio. EA already took its hit on SWTOR. I could go on, but I think my words would be wasted.

As to EA's rosy future, http://kotaku.com/ea-sports-boss-sells-all-of-his-ea-stock-but-isnt-go-501760023 sure he isn't.

Regardless, it means little to the 900+ EA employees who were just pink-slipped.

The again, the stock hasn't been this high since the rumored NCsoft takeover.

Last I checked, the CEO resigned about a month ago and the financial disclosed is the 2013 period, in which John was still the CEO for 10 out of the 12 months. EA actually posted a profit btw which is why they are classified as 'buy' in computer generated stock recommendations.

Whatever EA did worked for them last year and it looks like they will continue to do the same this year. Their investor call didn't show any massive shift in strategy.

Yes, lets harp how many EA let go without any context that they hired more than 900+ last year (so they actually increased FTE). /Facepalm

Gdemami -

NEXT!

Also it is this...

NEXT!

Okay then, go and count them and compare your numbers, to EAs. I would be VERY surprised, if they match each other. Sorry about my bad grammar, but when you can write me in my native language, you might have a point.

Corrected grammar for educational purposes.

Okay så, gå og tælle dem og sammenligne dine tal, at EAs. Jeg ville være meget overrasket, hvis de matcher hinanden. Undskyld mit dårlige grammatik, men når du kan skrive til mig på mit modersmål, har du måske en pointe.

You are so blinded by your trolling that you cannot see I've actually done just that for my server The Progenitor? (orange text) but I'm not the one disputing EA's claims you are, so the onus is on you to put together the data. The game is free to download and the /who command is free to use (at least EA doesn't charge for that image) so off you go.

okay, så gå ud, og tæl dem, og sammenlign dine tal, med EAS

jeg ville være meget overrasket, hvis de matcher hinanden. undskyld min dårlige grammatik

and the rest fits,,im impressed

however your grammar was as bad as mine

and im not reinstalling swtor , just to do a headcount

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    Originally posted by Skooma2

Allow me to state at the outset that I am not a troll.  I have a question that perhaps can be answered by the community.

Why do any of you care how many subs a particular MMO has?  Unless you are 1) playing a game teetering on the edge of a shutdown cliff,or, 2) are a shareholder of the company at issue,  what possible difference can a game's sub numbers mean to you?

People want their choice of entertainment vindicated for some weird reason. I don't understand why, but I'm guessing those people don't have much going on for them IRL.

First you have to find out how popular the game is, then look at stock prices for the publisher. After that, you head to the forums to see what complete strangers think of the game. After that, you look at Raptr and Xfire for reasons unknown; maybe check out Amazon reviews and Metacritic while you're at it. Next, maybe you're finally close to deciding whether or not you can enjoy the game, but first you have to analyze every aspect of the game and compare it against a game that you still love but refuse to play because it's too old. 

It's really not that damn complicated. Are you enjoying the game? If so, continue playing it. If you're not, then quit and move on with your life.

Sorry for the rant. 

Thats what happens when too many people have been burnt too many times.

Too many times x 60 euros/$+couple 15/month= a lot

People gettin smarter nowadays...well not all but quite a few

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283

Buy now and sell before end of the week ;)

Naivety of the people never cease to amaze me. Computer generated (hell yea) rating for stock just got updated from "hold" to "buy" rofl

They even put disclaimer "this is in no way opinion of ours but of our computer generated rating" hahahahah

their sports director is cashing in on his stocks

when the suits get ready to jump ship,,the ordinary investor is , usually, screwed